How do you number your players and why?

I give them numbers as they arrive at the club, in order of player value.

ie. My expensive striker wears number 3. My promising centre-back wears number 10.

Keepers will keep the traditional number 1 jersey. Followed by 13, 23, 33, 43, etc.

Everyone else gets what's left, including all reserves and youth teamers.

I tend to end up with almost 60 numbers filled.

Disappointingly, players that go out on loan lose their numbers - and I can never remember what number they had originally.

1, gk

2, right back

3, left back

4/5, centre backs

6, centre mid

7, right mid

8, amc

9/10, forwards

11, left mid

12, sub gk

13, sub def

14, sub cm

15, sub wide mid

16, sub forward

17, sub wide defender

18, sub amc

Then i give 19-25 as promising players who won't play too many games but will do in the future. When I sell someone i replace him with the next one in line.

Bit obsessive, I know.

After 25 I start numbering the guys who i draft in from the u18s late in the season or during injury difficulties.

Only exceptions are when a player prefers a particular number. Bale at 3, King 26, BAE 32 for example. Work around that somehow.

Similar to DanSpur, only difference in the first xi being 8 is also a CM, but that's because I don't use an AMC. After that, I just go with what feels right. 13 can only really be a goalie or a defender, while 14 is for a midfielder or striker. 16 and 18 are usually for backup CM players, while 23 is another goalie.

So you give your players almost the generic numbers. Same here, mine is a slightly different modification though. Just for anyone who doesn't know how player numbers are generally given, at least historically I'll just give a quick overview:

The first time numbers were used was in a match between Sheffield Wednesday and Arsenal. The numbers given were in line with how the sides lined up and the system basically stuck:

1. Keeper

2. Right Fullback

3. Left Fullback

4. Right halfback

5. Centre halfback

6. Left halfback

7. Outside Right

8. Inside Right

9. Centre Forward

10. Inside left

11. Outside Left

This evolved into the system usually seen today:

1. Keeper

2. Right Fullback

3. Left Fullback

4. Defensive centremid

5. Centrehalf

6. Centrehalf

7. Right midfield

8. Centremid

9. Striker

10. Attacking Mid/ Playmaker/ Second Striker

11. Left mid

This in 4-4-2 at least. As 4-4-2 has become less popular this is not really the case in a lot of places anymore, but is still generally a decent outline. Whilst traditionally 4 has been used a lot for midfielders this is not as common as it used to be. In the Premier League this season only Sidwell, Cabeye, Turner, McCarthy and Edwards are labelled number 4 as midfielders.

My own system is a modification of that:

1. Keeper

2. Fullback

3. Fullback

4. Deep lying midfielder

5. Ball playing Centrehalf (Although not currently)

6. Big centrehalf

7. Best Winger

8. Midfielder

9. Most technical striker

10. Most creative forward

11. Biggest forward

16. Winger

Yes, there is 12 players there. The first XI of my side is usually made up of 11/12 of that. Beyond that:

15. First drop striker

17. Left Winger

18. First drop play making midfielder

20. 1st drop centrehalf

21. Striker

23. Winger

43. 2nd Keeper

51. 3rd Keeper

57. 4th Keeper

99. Striker

Number 11 going to the big man up front comes from my first game that I was actually successful on FM back on FM08. I signed Andy Carroll for around £28 mil at 24 and he basically made my side from a top 4 wannabe to the best side in the World over night. He took the number 11 because it was the only free number I had under 30 at the time. He made the number his own basically so I've just kept giving the big striker 11. The number 23 going to a right winger goes back to another play in that game who was basically Carroll's partner in it all, the winger put on many of Carroll's goals over his 9 years with my Derby side.

I particularly like that "numbering in order of signing" method though, that's fairly cool.

1, gk

2, right back

3, left back

4/5, centre backs

6, centre mid

7, right mid

8, amc

9/10, forwards

11, left mid

12, sub gk

13, sub def

14, sub cm

15, sub wide mid

16, sub forward

17, sub wide defender

18, sub amc

Then i give 19-25 as promising players who won't play too many games but will do in the future. When I sell someone i replace him with the next one in line.

I number similar to that and for tradional numbering reasons. Except if I get a female regen player I give her the number 69. So when I callout "69", she replies "YES"

I am quite picky with numbers, but don't have a system, per se. I don't like to change players too much, so I usually take time assigning new players as this is generally the number they will keep for the rest of their career with me. I do occasionally change them, like when a young striker given number 43 when he signs, suddenly emerges and becomes my best striker, I'll give him number 9, but only when the current number 9 retires/leaves.

I also don't like the traditional 2 and 3 for DR and DL, I tend to mix it up by giving number 4 or 5 to one side, and make 2 or 3 a DC.

I use a mix of personal preferences and club's tradition (when applicable)...

1-11 follows the typical setup, with (right to left) 2-5-6-3 for the backline, 7-8-4-11 in midfield and 9-10 forward.

7 and 11 can also go to wide forwards or to strikers.

12 is the utility player (or the backup keeper)

13-19 are normally for rotation players, while 20-22 are for the young/sub strikers... Anything past 23 goes to backups, reserves, youth players etc.

Then again if I manage at a club where a given # has a special meaning or a legacy (even an in-game one), I'll try to preserve it and to pass it on to the next guy...

Classic Tactic

FC (11) - FC (09)
                  AMC (10)
ML (07) -                         - MR (08)
       -          DMC (05)       -
FB (03) -   CB (06)  -  CB (02)   - DR (04)
                   GK (01)

S1 GK (12)
Sn Position + 11

Current Tactic (FMH)

CMF (07) - CMF (11) - CMF (09)
      BWM (05) - APM (10) - BBM (08)
FB (03) -   CB (06)  -  CB (02)   - DR (04)
                  GK (01)

S1 GK (12)
Sn Position + 11

1 - Goalkeeper

2 & 3 - Wingbacks

4, 5, 6 - Central defenders

7 - My favorite player, must normally be midfielder (winger preferably but can be a DM)

8 - Bossy midfielder

9/10 - Striker (10 sometimes can be an attacking midfielder or inside forward/winger)

11 - Winger

12 - Center midfielder who has good passing (this is a special number because I use it to represent who the JOHN STOCKTON of the squad is - aka, the maestro)

13 - Never use, bad luck

Outside of that, I normally number players by what I "feel" their name or personality is like (like an Irish winger seeming like a 14, or a fat dude being a 99)

I use the ajax system Louis van gaal introduced. When asked about the starting line-up he would actually say on 1 van der Sar, on 2 Reiziger, on 3 Blind, on 4 de Boer etc...

Comes down to:

GK 1

DR 2

CB 3

CB 4

DL 5

RCM 6

LCM 8

AMC 10

RF 7

STR 9

LF 11

I just fill op the rest though 23 and 21 have a special place in my heart, probablu due to zidane and van der Vaart so I usually hand them out to creative midfielders, but you have to earn those if you play for me!

Oh, and 14 is a no go with me, that's El Salvador's number. Reserved if I ever get a player that can fill his shoes (has never happened in over 15 years of FM and Cm though...)

Clear Numbers. Auto Number.

If a particular chap wants a particular number I give it to them.

Pretty much this with the odd change or two for players I like, I really can't be arsed most of the time with assigning them.

When my squad is pretty much full of regens though I do tend to start caring more about which numbers they have.

First eleven are traditional, but in Ajax tradition which differs from others (mainly English) numbering:

1: GK

2: DR

3: DCR

4: DCL

5: DL

6: MRC

8: MCL

10: AMC

7: AMR

11: AML

9: S

My reserve keepers are 12, 25 and 35

I use the 13 for some weird special sub player. Usually an older player that can play DR and DL, or maybe a supersub striker or some other player who I don't mind too much to maybe get some bad luck. :p

Then I try to number my reserves with the numer in the 10's and 20's that relate to the first 11 numbered. Like 16 for my reserve MCR and 21 for my reserve AML. Especially when I'm at a new club and I constantly forget which player is best in what position. With the exception to the number 14. That is Johan Cruijff's number, and that always goes to my most talented young forward (except at Ajax where they've retired the number). And I give players their favourite number, which I always like if it's a number outside the first 11 because then you can make 2 players happy. One with their favourite number and one with a starting 11 number (even if he's a reserve player).

I just follow the system used in Brazil in real life (in the 4222 formation):

1) Goalkeeper

2) Right-back

3 and 4) Central defenders

5 and 8) Defensive midfielders

6) Left-back

7 and 10) normally attacking midfielders although can be given to strikers too

9 and 11) Strikers

12) Reserve goalkeeper

1. Gk

2. Dr

3. Dl

4. Dm

5. Dm/dc

6. Dc

7. Mr

8. Mc

9. St

10. Amc/mc

11. Ml

12. Dr

13. Mc

14. St

15. Dm

16. Dm

17. St

18. Dc

19. St

20. Ml/r

21. Mc

22. Gk

23. Mc

24. Dl

25. St

26. Dm

27. Ml/r

28. Dc

29. Mr/l

30. St

31. Gk

32. St

33. Dr/l

34. Gk

35. Gk

36. Dc

37. St

38. St

39. Dc

40. Dr/l

41. St

42. Gk

43. Mr/l

44. Dm

I tend to name 3 teams: Best 11, Second String, and youth for cups

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Best 11[/TD]

[TD]Second 11[/TD]

[TD]Youth[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1. GK[/TD]

[TD]12 [/TD]

[TD]23[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2. RB[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[TD]24[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3. LB[/TD]

[TD]14[/TD]

[TD]25[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4. DM[/TD]

[TD]15[/TD]

[TD]26[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5. DC[/TD]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]27[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6. DC[/TD]

[TD]17[/TD]

[TD]28[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7. AMR[/TD]

[TD]18[/TD]

[TD]29[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8. MC[/TD]

[TD]19[/TD]

[TD]30[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9. ST[/TD]

[TD]20[/TD]

[TD]31[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10. MC[/TD]

[TD]21[/TD]

[TD]32[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11. AML[/TD]

[TD]22[/TD]

[TD]33[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Clear Numbers. Auto Number.

If a particular chap wants a particular number I give it to them.

I do the same...couldn't care less about numbers.

And if a player want's a specific number, he usually gets it when I use Auto Number.

But I have noticed a strange thing. I'm currently in 2024 and I only have 1 player wanting a specific number and he's not a newgen.

So far, none of my newgens has requested a particular number. :confused:

I give players who requested a certain number that number.

I usually give players the lowest number availible having a squad with numbers 47,52,66,77,88,90,99etc to me looks stupid. Young players are likely to have a number in the 30s especially if they are only there for an emergency backup, whereas new signings will have the lowest availible number unless they are signed for backup, they probably have a number over 30.

I don't really have any guidelines that I follow. I like to stick to the traditional numbers but occasionally I'll be clever and give a number that maybe wouldn't be associated with the position. I also imagine the players name on the back of the shirt too. So if that players name fits the number he'll get it. If a player prefers a specific number then I'll try to give it to them. In real life if a player has a specific number then I'll try and give that to them as it's easy.

I am quite picky with numbers, but don't have a system, per se. I don't like to change players too much, so I usually take time assigning new players as this is generally the number they will keep for the rest of their career with me. I do occasionally change them, like when a young striker given number 43 when he signs, suddenly emerges and becomes my best striker, I'll give him number 9, but only when the current number 9 retires/leaves.

I also don't like the traditional 2 and 3 for DR and DL, I tend to mix it up by giving number 4 or 5 to one side, and make 2 or 3 a DC.

Same-ish, I also don't like giving a number from a player that just left to a new signing/youngster so I wait for a season or two. Youngsters go up through time, my best player was number 72 in his first season, then number 30 then number 19 and now he is number 9 and scores 35 goals a season :D.

1-GK

2-RB

3-CB

4-CB

5-LB

6-DM

7-Winger

8-CM

9-ST

10-AMC or Second Striker

11-Winger

12-2nd GK

From this point i don't have a particular order, though i normally keep the 20 and 21 for the best subs for some reason, also the players from the youth squad will normally get numbers after 30.

I let people have their favoured numbers then use an old fashioned numbering from the back based on who's most likely to play. Though sometimes I get sentimental and give out legends numbers for their position - E.g Thierry was 14 so I may give that to a forward. Not sure what I'll do with Fabs number yet and it gets a bit messy in places but generally:

1/13/27 - GK

2/3/4/5/12/14 - Def

6/7/8/9/15/16 - Mid

10/11/17/18/19 - Forwards

20+ whatever additionals I need to number, probably 2 mids and 2 defenders. Try not to name too many players until league cup time.

I have my own setup for a "2nd" 11 but 1st eleven is pretty much traditional

GK. 1 13

RB. 2 12

LB. 3 14

CM. 4 22

CB. 5 15

CB. 6 16

RM. 7 17

CM. 8 20

ST. 9 18

ST. 10 19

LM. 11 21

anything else is randomly applied, except for my 3rd keeper, who is 31

1-11 The traditional old fashioned positional numbering.

12 Sub Keeper

13 Never used (Don't know why I'm not supersticious)

14+whatever is free for back up players.

I will give a player a favoured number if available.

I tend to have all high numbers really I don'n know why but when I get a few seasons into a game all the numbers will be 25+ I mean I have strikers in the 80's defends in 40's mid in 60's and 70's just crazy numbers

GK - 1

RB - 2

RCB - 5

LCB - 6

LB - 3

RDM - 4

LDM - 8

AMR - 7

AMC - 11

AML - 10

ST - 9

Then 13 sub keeper, 25 reserve keeper, 35 best prospect keeper.

Then try to keep the back up brigade 14 - 29, and new signings just filling in the gaps.

And 30 onwards go to my youth team.

Unless the players themselves have preferred numbers then I'll give them them.

for a regular team i usually auto-number but i always have a save after ive played about with the editor and add a new team and players based on me, friends and a few randoms which have remained with me since CM01/02 for reasons unknown

my starting gk is number 21

my mate DC (also competent at RB and DM) is number 5

random created DC is number 4

i give myself number 11 (MC primarily but play M/AMLC also)

mate AMR 23

mate ST/AMRL 16

random created striker 9

i try to keep other numbers vaguely traditional

I used to do traditional 1-11 for first XI plus other GK's as 13 & 31, my biggest MC signing at 23 and a signed SC as 20 then fill in the gaps (DL's 33, 43 etc. DMC 14, 24, 34 etc). Recently tried 1st XI 1-11, 2nd XI 12-22 etc. Generally Yths that join the first team get 50-70. Loan ins get 40-49 or 90-99. Always bow to player preferred numbers though.

I spend about ten mins sorting them out...a bit sad really!

I've always had a very set way of doing my numbers.

1. Goalkeeper

2. RB

3. LB

4. Technical CB

5. No Mess CB

6. DM

7. Winger, often right

8. AMC

9. Striker

10. Big man forward or creative forward

11. Left Winger

12. Versatile FB

13. Backup GK

14. Backup technical CB

15. Backup no mess CB

16. Backup DM

17. Backup RW

18. Backup AMC

19. Backup Striker

20. Box to box midfielder

21. Backup LW

22. Young RB

23. Other midfielder, usually versatile

25. Creative player, usually a marquee signing.

29. Young Striker

31. Young Keeper

33. Young LB

Archived