Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

2 hours ago, jbricandy said:

I think a lot of these issues could be remedied if SI brought out a game one every two years instead of once every year. I say this because it feels I start enjoying the game 6 to 9 months after it has been released for one or two main reasons. 1, it seems to take at least 3 months for players to suffer with and report bugs before the game is more playable, and 2, it always takes me at least 3, usually 6 or more months to truly understand the ME and how to set up my team and tactics to achieve success and know that the instructions I implement will be either effective or ineffective based on a stable match engine and interface.

I think in two or three months, the game will be stable and I'll think it's the best FM ever. But I hope it doesn't take so long for me to think that about FM21. Either way, well done on making another great game.

The solution is for SI to release a game thats closer to being complete. Failing that, do as I am going to do for FM21 and just buy the game when it's as close to complete as it gets, after the last patch.....

Edited by janrzm

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, janrzm said:

The solution is for SI to release a game thats closer to being complete. Failing that, do as I am going to do for FM21 and just buy the game when it's as close to complete as it gets, after the last patch.....

Then again, there's always a chance that the last patch makes it "worse" due to over-the-top reaction to over-the-top feedback involved. :D 

The game releasing only every two years won't be an option. It's SI/Sega's business model. A more realistic prospect was narrowing the tactical choices down to something more manageable. With the current tactic module, there is a (nigh) infinite tactical combinations possible -- lots of which nonsensical to contradicting to dead-ends, btw. It's far easier to balance a game to a finite set of options, than (nigh) infinite ones. This may benefit AI managers as well, and generally make for a more robust long-term development of the ME. Not merely as a gameplay experience, but as a simulation of football management proper.

Start with the basics first, and -- at the end of the road add the bells&whistles. At the moment, SI cannot even code-wise address and balance a "possession" or "counter" system as such, as everybody gets to invent their own. It's kinda like Blizzard trying to balance Starcraft 2, and everybody would be able to define their own units, even factions, wholesale. That's not arguing any current ME issue specifically would be the result of the tactics module being too open. However, as usual, some tactical combinations lessen the impact, some less so. Plus, there needs to be a core logics agreed upon. Narrowing it all a bit down may make things a tad easier. Both when balancing, as well as assessing bug reports, which is all development time spent.

Edited by Svenc

10 hours ago, stevemc said:

That could explain it, I'm not complaining, just glad he signed up as I wasn't able to do it. I was more curious as to why I could only offer £155k p/w but the DoF went to £175k p/w.

I'm not sure about managers having a hidden stat, but it would make sense to have one.

Seems an odd one. Did you both offer the same playing time/squad status? Better squad status will allow higher wages. It's also been my main reluctance to use DoF contract renewals in the past as they promise more playing time than I intend to give. Haven't tried yet on FM20, would be good to see if they don't give out 15 first team regular contracts.

9 hours ago, TheInvisibleMan said:

Have you tried putting one of your centre backs on a 'cover' duty?

I definitely think there's a problem but this seems to be reducing it and helping me to defend against them a little bit.

I usually choose my fastest centre-back to do this.

Has anyone trying sticking a sweeper in?  If a DC on cover helps, logically a guy further back might help?  I have the game but have only just started (as unemployed) so haven't played a game yet.

4 hours ago, Svenc said:

Then again, there's always a chance that the last patch makes it "worse" due to over-the-top reaction to over-the-top feedback involved. :D 

The game releasing only every two years won't be an option. It's SI/Sega's business model. A more realistic prospect was narrowing the tactical choices down to something more manageable. With the current tactic module, there is a (nigh) infinite tactical combinations possible -- lots of which nonsensical to contradicting to dead-ends, btw. It's far easier to balance a game to a finite set of options, than (nigh) infinite ones. This may benefit AI managers as well, and generally make for a more robust long-term development of the ME. Not merely as a gameplay experience, but as a simulation of football management proper.

Start with the basics first, and -- at the end of the road add the bells&whistles. At the moment, SI cannot even code-wise address and balance a "possession" or "counter" system as such, as everybody gets to invent their own. It's kinda like Blizzard trying to balance Starcraft 2, and everybody would be able to define their own units, even factions, wholesale. That's not arguing any current ME issue specifically would be the result of the tactics module being too open. However, as usual, some tactical combinations lessen the impact, some less so. Plus, there needs to be a core logics agreed upon. Narrowing it all a bit down may make things a tad easier. Both when balancing, as well as assessing bug reports, which is all development time spent.

not sure whta they could do to make it worse, my advice to the team is perhaps to play the game then maybe they will see what the whole community is saying!

i struggle to believe they play it before release as how could they even think what we have now resembles football?

for years the shouts havnt worked, only a couple do anything other than de motivate, not sure why this hasnt been fixed.

the ratings for players in this one are completely mucked up unless you score or assist according to the game you played rubbish.

they said that the big teams will use their squads better like in lesser known comps,  not sure the game heard them when they said this as the game rarely does this.

side by side with fm19 the me is much better in 19 than this one!! how does that happen ? what do they work on to make the me go backwards 

assists are virtually non existent for midfielders

as i said in my prev rant the stats are ignored as doesnt matter if your world class the game will mke the player look ordinary 

Defending doesn't appear to be anywhere close to real world modern defensive systems such as those described in this article: https://faja1234.wordpress.com/2016/11/01/modern-defensive-systems/

Or this article: https://spielverlagerung.com/2017/03/05/pressing-counterpressing-and-counterattacking/?doing_wp_cron=1577430282.8653059005737304687500

It makes playing FM unrealistic and undesirable if we are using archaic defensive instructions that bear no resemblance to real world football or defending.

SI needs to make massive improvements in this area.

There also needs to be more in-game education on how to build a realistic, real-life defensive scheme, rather than rely on the very poor and unrealistic presets.

It's extremely embarrassing that defending in FM is reduced to blunt instruments like "close down more", "mark tighter" or "higher line of engagement".

Maybe there are combinations of instructions that can combine to produce the modern defensive schemes mentioned in articles above, who knows, but there is no education in-game to describe how you would do this. Perhaps SI needs to include real-life coaching badges in-game to teach us?

19 minutes ago, fm2020.smith said:

not sure whta they could do to make it worse, my advice to the team is perhaps to play the game then maybe they will see what the whole community is saying!

i struggle to believe they play it before release as how could they even think what we have now resembles football?

for years the shouts havnt worked, only a couple do anything other than de motivate, not sure why this hasnt been fixed.

the ratings for players in this one are completely mucked up unless you score or assist according to the game you played rubbish.

they said that the big teams will use their squads better like in lesser known comps,  not sure the game heard them when they said this as the game rarely does this.

side by side with fm19 the me is much better in 19 than this one!! how does that happen ? what do they work on to make the me go backwards 

assists are virtually non existent for midfielders

as i said in my prev rant the stats are ignored as doesnt matter if your world class the game will mke the player look ordinary 

I'm pretty sure the team does play the game they make, suggesting otherwise seems to suggest that they don't know the intricacies of the game they've made as much as any of us, when they're the ones running hundreds of saves and reviewing pkms, etc.

Given that a decent number of people here on the forum aren't seeing the same issues as others indicates that any problems there are aren't universal, and that they have to find the variables that are causing problems for some. I'd also prefer they take the time to find the issue and make the tweaks needed to fix it without breaking anything else, which can easily happen with a match engine with so many variables in it. It's not as simple as just pressing a "don't do as many over-the-top passes" button, some of those passes should still happen.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Juego de Posicion:

Given how diabolical long balls over the top are, SI should also be posting example setups of how to workaround this to help people overcome the problem they are forcing people to put up with due to a substandard match engine.

I use Standard mentality with counter pressing, tight marking and lower pressing line + lower defensive line to overcome this problem. 4 men backline as follows: WBau CDd CDc WBs

16 minutes ago, YasoKuul said:

I use Standard mentality with counter pressing, tight marking and lower pressing line + lower defensive line to overcome this problem. 4 men backline as follows: WBau CDd CDc WBs

To be honest, I'm done with the game and am uninstalling now. I've had that many problems and frustrations with it and installed/uninstalled many times. It's just not worth the effort and isn't giving me any enjoyment. Fed up with it and doubt I will ever be back.

4 hours ago, Cal585 said:

Seems an odd one. Did you both offer the same playing time/squad status? Better squad status will allow higher wages. It's also been my main reluctance to use DoF contract renewals in the past as they promise more playing time than I intend to give. Haven't tried yet on FM20, would be good to see if they don't give out 15 first team regular contracts.

Yeah, well I offered Star Player so he couldn't have gone any higher.

The DoF has actually done a great job on his contract, nothing too silly in there.

One thing that really annoy me, especially when playing on my laptop, is the fact that pitch isn't centered when playing in 2D. If you zoom in (which you kinda have to on small screen) you can't see bottom part of the pitch, but the whole benches are visible for some reason. 

37 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Whilst there are clearly issues with the ME they are exacerbated by people using higher mentalities (attacking) much of the time, especially when managing a top team which encourages a high line and forward, direct passing etc and subsequently the 'kick & rush' style of play that results in multiple one on one's.

Its perfectly possible and indeed preferable to develop a tactic using the Defensive Mentality for a Top Team and still win the league with 90+ points & 90+ goals, playing a nice possession based game. (I have evidence if you need it).

The Mentality system needs re-working or at least re-naming with fresh descriptions of how they each work as its counter intuitive at the moment.

If you'd like a calm, possession style of football on this patch its easily achievable if you build your tactic using the Defensive Mentality..... even if you are Barcelona. 

It has always been like that, that lower mentalities suited more patient style. But I see one huge problem with your post. Such reverse mentality approach will never be used by AI. You end up using something that has never been meant to that way. 

44 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Whilst there are clearly issues with the ME they are exacerbated by people using higher mentalities (attacking) much of the time, especially when managing a top team which encourages a high line and forward, direct passing etc and subsequently the 'kick & rush' style of play that results in multiple one on one's.

Its perfectly possible and indeed preferable to develop a tactic using the Defensive Mentality for a Top Team and still win the league with 90+ points & 90+ goals, playing a nice possession based game. (I have evidence if you need it).

The Mentality system needs re-working or at least re-naming with fresh descriptions of how they each work as its counter intuitive at the moment.

If you'd like a calm, possession style of football on this patch its easily achievable if you build your tactic using the Defensive Mentality..... even if you are Barcelona. 

Thanks.

Will try this. I like a possession style of play but the Match Engine issues, namely the long balls, have forced me to average around 44% possession. Hopefully this works till it gets patched.

43 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

This is soo true, the mentality has been misleading for so long, but up until this ME it wasn't as punishing. Currently long balls are partially caused by bugged reaction by defenders, but I really enjoy the fact, that you can't no longer play high press high line super attacking football with any team. I actually finally feel that changing my mentality actually does something with higher mentalities resulting in rushed decisions and more defensive mistakes. Especially with higher DL, playing with attacking mentality is just overkill. I like the combination of high DL and cautious mentality and it works fine for me. 

Without trawling back through this thread, is there an issue with penalties not being scored enough?

I've played most of today, had 6 pens and missed them all. My keeper saved 2 from 3 too.

Is this pure bad luck, or is this an issue?

(EDIT: just as I post this, Sterling misses two pens irl :lol:)

Edited by stevemc

34 minutes ago, stevemc said:

Without trawling back through this thread, is there an issue with penalties not being scored enough?

I've played most of today, had 6 pens and missed them all. My keeper saved 2 from 3 too.

I've seen plenty of comments about pens but my own experiences have been sensible. I have an average penalty taker who scores slightly more than he misses.....seems ok.

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

There has been a significant amount of reports about penalties in particular and SI hace confirmed a few times that they are looking into it, although they did add that over their massive tests, the percentages aren't that far off, which suggests it might be an issue with those with better stats having an issue scoring in particular. 

either way, SI are looking at it.

Got a job with a Danish 2nd division side in November 19 after the season finished or went on a mid-season break I'm not sure.  Anyway the next game was in 102 days.  I am set as a previous semi professional player for my background and the squad aren't particularly happy with me because of my lack of experience but I thought I could win them round.  So 85 days later, 6 days before my first friendly, the whole squad have decided they are not happy with my management, reckon I've lost the dressing room and am asking what I plan to do about it.  I only signed two players, both non-contract ones my asst manager found as we are £250k in the red.  Has anybody else had the whole club turn against them before they've even played one match?!?!

15 minutes ago, Welshace said:

There has been a significant amount of reports about penalties in particular and SI hace confirmed a few times that they are looking into it, although they did add that over their massive tests, the percentages aren't that far off, which suggests it might be an issue with those with better stats having an issue scoring in particular. 

either way, SI are looking at it.

Cool, so if I assign a poor penalty taker for now, that might help conversion?

Just now, stevemc said:

Cool, so if I assign a poor penalty taker for now, that might help conversion?

No lol ... a poor penalty taker is still missing the correct amount of pens he's meant to... while there MAY be an issue with great penalty takers missing more than they should...

vor 1 Minute schrieb Tiger666:

Harry Kane has 20 penalties, 18 composure, 19 finishing. One of the best penalty takers in the game. Scored 2 out of 5 so far for me.

Yes, there seems to be problem with top penalty takers in the game, but not in the overall. 

11 hours ago, Mr U Rosler said:

Well, I was always using positive mentalitiy in my Ajax save and didnt do anything big in CL.

But when I changed into cautios mentality, I won against Shaktar 3-0 at home, 0-2 against Fiorentina and won twice against Man  City.

The match engine really isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, yes wingers shoot into the side netting sometimes when a easy pass was on to a teammate or some accurate longballs over the top to a clinical striker to lose the game 1-0 which I know can be really frustrating, but overall am enjoying the game and looking forward to the final build of the 2020 match engine which am sure will be close to perfection which it always has been since I can remember apart from FM14, which I never really give a chance.

3 hours ago, Welshace said:

There has been a significant amount of reports about penalties in particular and SI hace confirmed a few times that they are looking into it, although they did add that over their massive tests, the percentages aren't that far off, which suggests it might be an issue with those with better stats having an issue scoring in particular

HOw's that even possible? Unless the game's code was borked, but then it must apply to all takers, not exclusively higher rated ones. Unless they literally mean that higher rated players shouldn't ever miss, which is not reality.

Over the sample size of hundreds of thousands playing this, there should be all kinds of stuff occuring, given that the best takers still miss roughly 1 in 6 penalties, e.g. their Chance of conversion over dozens should rise no higher than ca. ~85% (on average). :D It's like the guys on Fallout reporting missed headshots from point blank range in a row, and that can be a 95% chance of a hit. Over this many shots and this many hours played, it's simply a matter of time and players until stuff not merely occurs. But repeats.

But then it's been acknowledged as an issue. Just curious how. But then IIRC there were curiosities before, like GKs being the most consistent penalty takers on a prior release.

Edited by Svenc

7 hours ago, Svenc said:

HOw's that even possible? Unless the game's code was borked, but then it must apply to all takers, not exclusively higher rated ones. Unless they literally mean that higher rated players shouldn't ever miss, which is not reality.

Over the sample size of hundreds of thousands playing this, there should be all kinds of stuff occuring, given that the best takers still miss roughly 1 in 6 penalties, e.g. their Chance of conversion over dozens should rise no higher than ca. ~85% (on average). :D It's like the guys on Fallout reporting missed headshots from point blank range in a row, and that can be a 95% chance of a hit. Over this many shots and this many hours played, it's simply a matter of time and players until stuff not merely occurs. But repeats.

But then it's been acknowledged as an issue. Just curious how. But then IIRC there were curiosities before, like GKs being the most consistent penalty takers on a prior release.

Could simply suggest deminishing returns for higher rated players...  obviiusly over simplified...

4 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Suggest everyone keep to the topic and stop posting mindless drivel

Hi rashidi.. if you can point me where in general discussion where we can give feedback and discuss the issues we're having with the game and discuss what we might think it is, than i'll happily start posting there...  

I was under the impression this is exactly where that sort of discussion is meant to be? Or are we not allowed to discuss generalities in general discussion anymore?

35 minutes ago, Welshace said:

Hi rashidi.. if you can point me where in general discussion where we can give feedback and discuss the issues we're having with the game and discuss what we might think it is, than i'll happily start posting there...  

I was under the impression this is exactly where that sort of discussion is meant to be? Or are we not allowed to discuss generalities in general discussion anymore?

He's referring to the deleted posts, not you. 

conversion rate is very very low but why are there so many being created in the first place? and they all came from crazy dribble from own half, ball over the top from defenders and set pieces. There was one game where I had 51 shots. Also consistently creating 3-5 CCC every home game. Then in away game it all went to **** (although the result still positive). Performance wise, at home I'm prime Barcelona dominating everything, away I'm Emery's Arsenal conceding shot after shot with mistake all over the pitch regardless of opposition.

its no fun at all this ME. 259 hours and the only ground through pass that led to shot I've seen are from pre season games. the rest like i said, crazy dribble, set pieces and ball over the top.

22 часа назад, Mr U Rosler сказал:

it brings us to issue which I mentioned few times. Every mentality has dual meaning and if human player can use this for own ideas, AI not really understand how to play. AI play defensive/cautious as underdog and as description of them is good choice, in fact AI plays in possession because defensive = low riskly. Imo it need to delete riskly meanings and defensive/cautios=counter only, no second meaning about possession. Possibly it will be limited variability but less confusion for AI and players too. Basically in styles, defensive=Burnley, cautious=Wolves, Balanced=Leicester, Positive=ManCity, Attacking=Liverpool styles. Actually descriptions of mentalities tell us the same styles :) 

upd. Or add advanced mentalities like defensive/riskly (counter for underdog) and defensive/careful (possession), for every current mentality two types - riskly and careful. Anyway this is need to stop confusing with mentalities for AI

Edited by Novem9

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Could simply suggest deminishing returns for higher rated players...  obviiusly over simplified...

This could actually make sense, in that the "extreme Ends" may not produce "proper" performances. This then may actually apply to lower rated players as well in reverse. E.g. whilst top rated guys may not be as consistent as they should, lower rated ones may not be as inconsistent as well. Both won't show in any averages soak tested, as averages are... averages. :D 

Edited by Svenc

On 26/12/2019 at 22:32, KUBI said:

Two separate versions and retailers.

I can understand that this can be confusing for some, naming the toned down version of FM that comes with the full fat FM the same as the mobile version, that are two separate versions, I never understood the name change from classic  

On 24/12/2019 at 19:17, Jibby123 said:

Does the club own the stadium? If renting, it might not be possible to get it expanded?

Its owned by the club. The only reason i can think of is that i havent been really successful. I didnt win bundesliga at all in 5 years at the club, didnt go far in champions league, first knockout stage is as far as i could go, and only thing i won is german cup, 2 times. Whats weird is that i went from around 50 mil per year in sponshorship income to 25.5, even though i am CL team. Maybe there is something in it.

Anyway, thanks for the reply

As a further follow-up: RE- set piece attempts inflating the Shots On Target stats AKA how can you struggle to score with having 25 shots on target?! 

Been forwarded another pkm, a match with ~25 Shots On Target, yet "but" two Goals. This time I'm doing it a little differently.

First, to quote this Epic Research™: 

• only 20% of corners lead to a shot on goal.
  • only 10% of this shots lead to goal.

For indirect free-kicks and throw-ins it may not look that hugely different. Yet, on FM, shots, even on target, from the set piece are easy to come by, frustrating users. Their average finish is a pressured header, so maybe they should not be that oft converted into goals. However, their frequency on occasion looks as alarming as the 1vs1s.

This time I'm going through that match and looking at all the stuff OFF target first. Still processsing the 1st half, this is how tings look at HT.

c7eZJEh.png

ON Target plus blocked attempts meanwhile: 

DCuV3lO.png

Not going into the tactical reasons for that -- the AI was naturally "parking the bus".  But let's crunch some numbers here. I'm expecting similar for the 2nd half.

45 Minutes of Football played (roughly 30 minus stoppage time).
18 shots
11 Inside the box
8 (!) of which exclusively from the set piece.
5 on target, which is over 50% of those
0 Goals
And an audience probably bored stiffless.

Everybody's Talking 1vs1s. Let's talk set pieces too.