Football Manager 2020 Pre-Release Beta *Official* Feedback Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Let's look at someone like Alexis Sanchez - he always took a lot of risks on the ball and with his passing which meant he gave away the ball a lot, but would also generate many goals and assists.

Inverted Wingers are a bit more sensible and conservative, they'll still play through balls and crosses, but they'll do so when there's a better opportunity rather than trying to force it. Of course you can always set 'take more risks' if you want them to do so.

And to add to this the IW is more likely to look at the range of options. I have noticed that in most of my games. When I pair a IW(S) with a fullback on the overlap. The two of them sometimes work well in tandem to create cutbacks or diagonal passes. In FM19 we needed to use a W(S) with player traits to get this effect. I am so happy that this role has been introduced cos now we finally get an option to use a player who uses his brain, ain't a playmaker and thinks of others around him first. It's a brilliant role, and I want to thank the devs for adding it this year.

• SI Staff

Whilst beta saves can absolutely be carried over to the full release (I'll be carrying mine over), please keep in mind this is a beta. There will be issues found and resolved during the next couple of weeks, that's what it's for afterall.

Some of these issues may require a new game for the fix to kick in. Mostly, issues that require a new game are competition or database related, but this is not a guarantee that a gameplay issue will always be exempt. There is the potential for a Club Vision issue, if found, to require a new season for example. Some Users may prefer a new save in that case.

Callum McGregor`s stats need just a little tweaking to better reflect the player he is.

His balance and stamina should be at least 13 if not 14, he has a very quick turn of feet so his agility could be a 12 or 13 and his off the ball movement is phenomenal.

He is always in a position to receive a pass from a team mate to then lay off another player and/or look for the one two. So his positioning could also potentially benefit from a 1 or 2 point shift

His form for the last 3 season shows this consistently, and he just needs a small tweak to better reflect his ability in game.

callum mcgregor stats needs tweaking.jpg

Edited by McGougan33

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Ive already disregarded the line up advice I get from my Ass Man before games. All he ever does is tell me to swap my CBs around, and sometimes drops in swapping CMs around.

My left CB is best as a BPD and prefers the left side. My right CB is best as a CD and has no preferred side. That's how I play them, yet every game hes trying to get me to switch them around.

Hes a fairly poor one in terms of attributes so is that the reason? Or is it a bug with how it works?

Hi @RandomGuy.

Could you please post here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/724-all-other-gameplay/ with your save game where you're seeing this behaviour please?

It's something we're aware of but need more working examples of to look at in a deeper fashion. Thanks :thup:

2 hours ago, Seb Wassell said:

My suspicion is that the only thing holding it back would be the massive transfer fee and wages you will have had to pay.

If you believe this still to be an issue, please raise it here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/725-club-vision-and-performance/

Well,fee was actually quite on the cheap side. 78mil euros for Pogba doesn't sound a lot at all. Wage is 1.8mil/month which is high but nothing that PSG couldn't manage.

Also to touch on another Celtic player who needs just a single stat to be improved to more accurately reflect his ability.

Ryan Christies work rate is exceptional, he deserves more than a 12 by some distance - Perhaps 15 would accurately reflect the work he does for the team when he doesn't have the ball.

ryan christie work rate needs improved.jpg

1 minute ago, McGougan33 said:

Also to touch on another Celtic player who needs just a single stat to be improved to more accurately reflect his ability.

Ryan Christies work rate is exceptional, he deserves more than a 12 by some distance - Perhaps 15 would accurately reflect the work he does for the team when he doesn't have the ball.

Please raise these data issues in the relevant Data thread - https://community.sigames.com/forum/708-database-and-research/

Bear in mind a lot of what you're suggesting is subjective here though so you may be pressed to provide evidence to back up your claims. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, McGougan33 said:

Callum McGregor`s stats need just a little tweaking to better reflect the player he is.

His balance and stamina should be at least 13 if not 14, he has a very quick turn of feet so his agility could be a 12 or 13 and his off the ball movement is phenomenal.

He is always in a position to receive a pass from a team mate to then lay off another player and/or look for the one two. So his positioning could also potentially benefit from a 1 or 2 point shift

His form for the last 3 season shows this consistently, and he just needs a small tweak to better reflect his ability in game.

callum mcgregor stats needs tweaking.jpg

2 minutes ago, McGougan33 said:

Best posting such things in there.

Just as an FYI, Positioning is a defensive skill, Off the Ball is what you are looking for with the McGregor example.

• SI Staff
6 minutes ago, luka_ said:

Well,fee was actually quite on the cheap side. 78mil euros for Pogba doesn't sound a lot at all. Wage is 1.8mil/month which is high but nothing that PSG couldn't manage.

Sounds like it could do with being investigated. Please follow the link and upload your save :thup:

19 minutes ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

Please raise these data issues in the relevant Data thread - https://community.sigames.com/forum/708-database-and-research/

Bear in mind a lot of what you're suggesting is subjective here though so you may be pressed to provide evidence to back up your claims. Thanks.

18 minutes ago, johnhughthom said:

Best posting such things in there.

Just as an FYI, Positioning is a defensive skill, Off the Ball is what you are looking for with the McGregor example.

Magic, cheers gents.

graphics look super nice for matches this year. I have not played enough to comment on the ME changes but nothing jumped out at me. I did actually see a wide player take on his FB rather than cross into him a few times though. That is a most welcome change! 

I like the look of the new discipline system too. Good to have these things formalised somewhere. I'm glad it is easy to find it back as well, since there is no way I am going to remember it over the course of a season. I am looking forward to having some player interactions too. See how these change. 

I know I've reported a few bugs and have a couple more. But I just want to say this doesn't mean I'm negative at all. On the contrary - this is the smoothest, most bug-free FM I've played, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works long-term too. Huge kudos - especially for a beta this is outstanding.

I have played FM2020 for around 5-6 hours now (RIP my exams). I have not noticed any bugs yet. I love the new features and I think it actually makes it easier to get an overview of the club without using to much time on small details (talking especially of the new development center). The game engine graphics are about the same as last year but i guess it's still work in progress. The only thing that is not working properly is the text in Norwegian (since I play the game with Norwegian language). It sometimes mixes English and Norwgian in the same sentence. I also love club vision feature which makes it more realistic in terms of developing a team over a number of seasons without getting fired for not always reaching the short term goals. Are there any new features coming when the full game releases later this month? 

• SI Staff
16 minutes ago, marxisten said:

I have played FM2020 for around 5-6 hours now (RIP my exams). I have not noticed any bugs yet. I love the new features and I think it actually makes it easier to get an overview of the club without using to much time on small details (talking especially of the new development center). The game engine graphics are about the same as last year but i guess it's still work in progress. The only thing that is not working properly is the text in Norwegian (since I play the game with Norwegian language). It sometimes mixes English and Norwgian in the same sentence. I also love club vision feature which makes it more realistic in terms of developing a team over a number of seasons without getting fired for not always reaching the short term goals. Are there any new features coming when the full game releases later this month? 

Please see here for your Norwegian text issues: https://community.sigames.com/forum/723-translation/

For lower league clubs (i'm playing in the BPL in N Ireland) i have several older players with staff attributes. However i can only offer a player contract or a staff one, not a player/staff one. Is this no longer an option?

41 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

I know I've reported a few bugs and have a couple more. But I just want to say this doesn't mean I'm negative at all. On the contrary - this is the smoothest, most bug-free FM I've played, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how it works long-term too. Huge kudos - especially for a beta this is outstanding.

That's good news.  Was thinking that there definitely seems to be less clamour around this release.  Usually by this point we've had several tearful threads that get immediately locked because people can't play nice, and the feedback thread is a bit of a zoo.  Doesn't seem to be that way this year.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb forameuss:

That's good news.  Was thinking that there definitely seems to be less clamour around this release.  Usually by this point we've had several tearful threads that get immediately locked because people can't play nice, and the feedback thread is a bit of a zoo.  Doesn't seem to be that way this year.

No because people get banned here for many reasons, I am not  even sure how I should  voice negative feedback without a ban. 

General match feedback from what I've noticed in my first few matches

• Players are too unwilling to play first time crosses and passes, instead they'll take too many unnecessary touches. Often the player
  • Passing in the central third is much improved, but I have noticed repetitive passing between a CM and a nearby AM/wide player, where they'll just pass the ball between themselves several times without really making an effort to seek out a runner
  • Diagonal cross-field long balls (RB to LW/LB to RW) are too accurate
  • Wing backs like being caught offside often (might be my tactic though)
  • Players are still unwilling to control a cross with their chest or bring it down to their feet, instead they'll head it at the earliest opportunity
  • Goalkeepers are too slow/unwilling to sweep up loose balls (and equally, my wing backs have been a bit slower than I'd like to get to the loose balls and pass back to GK)
  • Instructing CMs to shoot less often has resulted in them being unwilling to take shots from ~5-10m outside the box when there's an opening and they're unmarked in acres of space, I'll have to do more tweaking to see if I can get an improved balance
  • AMC movement is much better than FM19
  • In a possession system, players are still too eager to clear the ball at the earliest opportunity instead of trying to retain possession

vor 9 Minuten schrieb RTHerringbone:

Constructively. That's all the mods ever want.

I am not sure what this exactly means in the context. 

I don't know how to make a better football manager game, does this now mean all critisim I voice is non constructive? 

19 minutes ago, thejay said:

No because people get banned here for many reasons, I am not  even sure how I should  voice negative feedback without a ban. 

If you're voicing feedback and getting pulled up for it, then that's probably on you.  Maybe remember that, rather than rolling out tired old cliches about everyone being against you, when it's perfectly fine to raise constructive, negative feedback.  It's likely the most valuable kind they get.

Just now, thejay said:

I am not sure what this exactly means in the context. 

I don't know how to make a better football manager game, does this now mean all critisim I voice is non constructive? 

Constructive

I've noticed this bug where my defender isn't behaving as I think they should.  Here's a thread in the bugs forum with a pkm so you can investigate

Destructive

Defending is broken!  Don't you ever test things?!

Both complaining about the same issue, but can you guess which one is more useful? 

Edited by forameuss

vor 6 Minuten schrieb forameuss:

If you're voicing feedback and getting pulled up for it, then that's probably on you.  Maybe remember that, rather than rolling out tired old cliches about everyone being against you, when it's perfectly fine to raise constructive, negative feedback.  It's likely the most valuable kind they get.

Constructive

I've noticed this bug where my defender isn't behaving as I think they should.  Here's a thread in the bugs forum with a pkm so you can investigate

Destructive

Defending is broken!  Don't you ever test things?!

Both complaining about the same issue, but can you guess which one is more useful? 

It's much more than just a defender. 

There are multiple issues which are interrelated and are not easily broken down in a simple bug threat. 

Also what is a bug? Everything which does not represent a real football game?

Bugs like interface issues are simple and easier to report. 

I don't think the same can be said about how the match engine behaves 

1 minute ago, thejay said:

It can, you see something that shouldn't be happening multiple times in a match, submit the pkm & timestamp where you see it 

5 minutes ago, thejay said:

There are multiple issues which are interrelated and are not easily broken down in a simple bug threat. 

None of that changes how you deal with them.  Like I said, if you are raising feedback and getting grief for it, then it's absolutely something you're doing. 

Whether it's a complex issue or not, if you believe something doesn't look right, raise it.  Maybe they come back and explain why it isn't an issue, or maybe they take it on.  None of that is related to whether it's constructive or not.

16 minutes ago, thejay said:

The Pentagon have just awarded Microsoft a $10 billion contract for 'Jedi' Cloud based AI system. THAT would not be able to realistically simulate an actual football match. 

For £30 you're getting a good approximation of a football match. 

People need to get realistic. 

Edited by Mr U Rosler

3 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Anyone else having WAY too many goals from long shots?

Yep. In the third tier of Northern Irish football, just finished five pre-season matches and over half the goals were from outside the box. Going to give it at least a season before I pass judgement though.

3 minutes ago, Defensive said:

Anyone else having WAY too many goals from long shots?

No, the complete opposite, I'm hardly seeing anything

What sort of tactics are you using?

Playing at Walsall I've gone wing-play & direct counter types

At Bayern control possession with the lines pulled back 

The main things that stand out to me are; 

UI has taken a step back for things like accessing reserve and youth squads, assigning staff responsibilities and the preferences menu. Why would you add extra clicks to these things? This is a very bad design choice. 

You can't arrange a friendly for the first team on a day when the reserve team is playing. Seems very odd. 

I've had three young players become unhappy because I rejected loan bids for them despite the fact they have been added to the first team squad and there is no option to tell them that the offer was rejected because they will be playing first team football. 

Other than that seems good so far. 

I have bad eyes sight even with glasses and I’m finding the UI to be cluttered and very difficult to understand, and after just 20 minutes my head is hurting.  I also feel that the PS2 graphics for creating your avatar are embarrassing and really cannot be considered a step forward.  I’m hoping that there will be some decent skins for the game from third party members after release otherwise I’ll be stepping back to FM19.

6 minutes ago, adamstudley said:

I've had three young players become unhappy because I rejected loan bids for them despite the fact they have been added to the first team squad and there is no option to tell them that the offer was rejected because they will be playing first team football. 

Have you tried adjusting their playing time pathway so they're actually promised those minutes? Right now you've just got them training with the seniors which understandably may not be enough on its own without the committment that it's going to lead to them actually getting a chance.

18 minutes ago, Spurs08 said:

Have you tried adjusting their playing time pathway so they're actually promised those minutes? Right now you've just got them training with the seniors which understandably may not be enough on its own without the committment that it's going to lead to them actually getting a chance.

I hadn't messed with that yet no. 

Just find it strange that they're in the first team squad, aren't listed for loan and the options when you speak to them don't include being able to tell them they're needed here. 

Agreeing to promise them a certain amount of minutes would then be a good step from there in the discussion. 

Edited by adamstudley

1 hour ago, thejay said:

People only tend to get banned because of unnecessary abuse, lack of respect or constant spamming - and then usually only after they've ignored several warnings (unless it's really over the top) asking them to stop.  Unless it's excessive abuse, Mods follow guidelines of general in thread warning > private warning (if in thread is ignored) > ban (if private warning is ignored as well).  So the only real reason why people get banned is because of themselves.  It's rare someone just gets a straight up ban without a warning (the last one I did was because of homophobic abuse).

The problem tends to come when people think they're just voicing their opinion.  "SI are incompetent, it's just my opinion, you can't ban me for expressing an opinion".  It may be an opinion but it's not only disrespectful, it's opinion laced with abuse aimed at individuals.

So if there is something you don't like about the game, say it.  Ideally in a constructive manner (as forameuss gave as an example) but feedback about the game is just that - stick to talking about the game.  It's usually when people start to mention individuals or groups of individuals questioning their competence, calling them names or spamming the same thing over and over (for example) that's when the wicket becomes sticky.

4 minutes ago, adamstudley said:

Just find it strange that they're in the first team squad, aren't listed for loan and the options when you speak to them don't include being able to tell them they're needed here.

Their playing time should indicate that they're needed though. What is it set as?