Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Club Vision sounds really cool. I think that's a great longer-term Goal anyway, turning each club into its own distinctive experience posing different challenges. I see this from another perspective as well though, which is the AI Managers. Added complexity means added calculations and AI routines, and SI staff have already sometimes hinted at how much their hardware base (Pentium 4 still btw). put a strain on considerations how complex the AI may "think". Will be interesting how they interact with this, too. Naturally, their negotiations with the board will be hidden. (I miss the bug as to FM12's private conversation screen -- you could have followed all private conversations the AI mans had with any of their Players :D).

Edited by Svenc

3 hours ago, SebastianRO said:

Those screenshots haven't been taken from someplace on the internet. I booted up those games and took them myself. So yes, I can compare and you can compare as well because we have a pair of eyes.

" If you like it better then play that. And then don't buy FM 20. " This is not an argument or a counter argument to any statement. I already bought the game, as I am an FM enthusiast. However, me buying or not buying the game doesn't affect the pitch quality, is it now ? People have to stop with this mentality of " if you don't like it, don't buy it " because thats the exact opposite way to how progress and true growth are achieved.

I don't see how you're comparing FM20. The game hasn't been released and those that do have access are playing alpha. So, yes, my comment is valid. If a feature is there you don't like, then you have the choice not to buy it. Progress you can't judge at this point. If you have already bought it, then you will see it anyways in about 2 weeks and upon full release and can then make a constructive feedback if you see it's worse than those from years before. 

I wonder if there'll be any club visions like the old Crewe Alexandre. I remember watching a programme with Dario Gradi saying that even after several bad defeats, he never feared for his job when he walked into the office on Monday mornings. I have to admit having a liking for lower league management challenges where they'll give you ample time, to enable you to build up your team, reserves, youth etc.

On that point, I really hope there's more chance to enter your club into a reserve league & play whichever player you want to - regardless of players age, would be superb, so you can put out of form players, players returning from injury etc into the team

Edited by PhilT
worded better

1 час назад, tyro сказал:

I don't see how you're comparing FM20

I don't see how somebody can't understand this.

1. Fact #1 - Grass in FM19 worse old FMs (you could check it yourself, I did)
  2. Fact #2 - Grass in FM19 and FM20 presentation look the same

Really, why argue with the current facts

21 minutes ago, warlock said:

Because they're not facts - they're opinions.

I'm playing FM19 right now and the pitch looks fine (and not really anything like what we've seen of FM20). And of all the things I'd like to see improved in FM, the colour of the grass doesn't even make the top 100.

Well surely grass is at least somewhere there? If its not even top 100, would you mind having grass colored purple for that matter? Immersion is part of the game and if my grass looks like a pool table combined with the already mediocre graphics it just doesnt help. Its surely somewhere in the top 100 for me behind all the gameplay features. 

52 minutes ago, warlock said:

Because they're not facts - they're opinions.

I'm playing FM19 right now and the pitch looks fine (and not really anything like what we've seen of FM20). And of all the things I'd like to see improved in FM, the colour of the grass doesn't even make the top 100.

But that's your opinion

At least the mods can change the grass, so while it may be dissapointing it is not as bad as some of the stadiums which at the moment can't be changed.  As I said in a previous post some of them are OK, but in my opinion the ones that look totally unrealistic are the ones with the huge wide exit tunnels at pitch level. i have neverseen anything like that at any football ground.  I don't know much about codeing but it can't be that difficult to either make them much smaller or remove them and fill the gap with spectators, if you do that it would make a huge imprivement to the stadiums in the game.

If this year is anything like previous years there'll be an FM20 Bugs Forum to raise any issues in.

So if you don't like any aspect of FM20 Beta once you've actually tried it for yourselves, raise the issues there.  So by all means continue to comment on how things look in the Alpha, but those comments will be meaningless if you don't also raise them in the Beta forum - assuming your opinions don't change once you've got your hands on the Beta of course.

If opinions don't change, I'd hope and expect some of the more vocal commenters here to be equally active in the Beta forum when specific examples which demonstrate the issues (such as screen shots, match pkms and even game saves) will normally be required.  Some screen shots are already being shown in this thread to demonstrate the points raised (good), so it's that sort of thing that'll need to be carried over to the Beta forum as well.  So the more descriptive you can be, with specific examples to back up your points, the more attention you may attract from the devs.  That's not to say things will change if you do that, but you'll at least get taken seriously.

Isn’t there a thing where all the stuff SI put out pre-release is run in low graphic modes so people can see the minimum quality? Or has that changed?

That being said, I loaded up FM17 earlier, and I must say, pitch and stadia looked much better than they do in 19. Players look worse and the regens... my god the regens. 

20 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

Isn’t there a thing where all the stuff SI put out pre-release is run in low graphic modes so people can see the minimum quality? Or has that changed?

That being said, I loaded up FM17 earlier, and I must say, pitch and stadia looked much better than they do in 19. Players look worse and the regens... my god the regens. 

In my opinion they are things that do look better the players and the regens.

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

In my opinion they are things that do look better the players and the regens.

Always said FM17 has the better match day experience and ME with better scoring and great moves and through balls 

2 hours ago, herne79 said:

If this year is anything like previous years there'll be an FM20 Bugs Forum to raise any issues in.

So if you don't like any aspect of FM20 Beta once you've actually tried it for yourselves, raise the issues there.  So by all means continue to comment on how things look in the Alpha, but those comments will be meaningless if you don't also raise them in the Beta forum - assuming your opinions don't change once you've got your hands on the Beta of course.

If opinions don't change, I'd hope and expect some of the more vocal commenters here to be equally active in the Beta forum when specific examples which demonstrate the issues (such as screen shots, match pkms and even game saves) will normally be required.  Some screen shots are already being shown in this thread to demonstrate the points raised (good), so it's that sort of thing that'll need to be carried over to the Beta forum as well.  So the more descriptive you can be, with specific examples to back up your points, the more attention you may attract from the devs.  That's not to say things will change if you do that, but you'll at least get taken seriously.

Would it be possible for you to pin this comment so people coming into here to complain whenever beta has released? Would be better for people to point it to this comment being pinned. 

On 25/10/2019 at 11:45, Rashidi said:
  • Did they score more goals in the last 10 minutes because they switched roles, duties or mentality? Or was it just because my team did something different? That is the challenge. When it comes to introducing timelines there are variables that can happen and each variable needs to be included for the analysis for it to be useful. That would be a great feature to have, and I will probably suggest something simpler for FM21. For FM20 i am hoping to see my suggestion go through. I made a suggestion to break shots down -  open play, set pieces, inside the box outside the box. And i wanted to see the existing ccc's broken down into chances created by formation and in totality. The latter is not difficult, the former on the other hand needs SI to map each shot down and then draw out those that are relevant. That would be more work and more intensive. I think having a breakdown of the total chances you have created by formation is more likely to happen because that information already exists.

As you're probably Aware, I've been one of those who's never been a fan of the CCCs for a Variety of reasons (yesterday btw, I set up a side in a way that it couldn't possibly defend -- the specific marking orders are rather good for this when abused. :DWhilst unrealistic, the CCC counter was in the 20s, manually counted About 40 situations in which the Forward was more or less through on Goal -- slightly above 50% of those 40 were converted, btw. ) However will be watching out with interest what may have changed.

Sorry for the slightly OT, but somebody had done some crunching and tried to apply it all to FM, albeit in simplistic form. Interstingly, his conclusion to the shock of many was that it's easier to score in FM. He expected it to be actually, as he was under the impression the game wouldn't simulate the 90 minutes (which is wrong). https://dictatethegame.com/2019/09/27/getting-expected-goals-or-xg-into-fm19/ What also Shows in his Research is the power of Long shots as to FM19. :D I'd still make an additional distinction in his case as on FM headers under pressure from set pieces in the "premium zones" he Targets can big time pile up, in particular against defensive Teams. edit: He states he's ignored headed attempts which was probably a good idea.

Edited by Svenc

6 hours ago, Double0Seven said:

That being said, I hope this bug is finally fixed after 2 years. I havent watched the youtubers, but has any youtuber commented on this already? 

I'm waiting to see if this is fixed before I buy too cos I can't play FM19 as it is. Drives me mad.

Edited by Tiger666

9 hours ago, gunner86 said:

I have always thought the game is showcased in lower graphic settings, too.  Sure that is the case

10 hours ago, SazoJohnno said:

Would it be possible for you to pin this comment so people coming into here to complain whenever beta has released? Would be better for people to point it to this comment being pinned. 

I would expect a lot less bugs this year considering it's an FM19 format . Surely those bugs should of been sorted otherwise what's the point of posting in the bugs section

Edited by prot651

29 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Excited for the new stuff. SI should read this thread and take great joy it though, some people finding it so hard to find fault with it they've resorted to making multiple posts about how green the grass is...

Game is LITERALLY unplayble if they don't get all 436 shades of green absolutely correct, and matched to reflect the real world

1 hour ago, endtime said:

It might seem like nitpicking, but I think it's a valid complaint when features seem to regress in comparison to earlier version, and for no apparent reason at that.

You're comparing the quality of a colour, from a aplha version of a game on its lowest setting, to a final version of a game on a higher setting.

Maybe run them side by side on your own laptop, on exact same settings, and then decide if it's such a regression it's worth being on here complaining about it for days over.

1 hour ago, endtime said:

It might seem like nitpicking, but I think it's a valid complaint when features seem to regress in comparison to earlier version, and for no apparent reason at that.

I know that features compared to last year's are a little 'underwhelming' but what do you really expect? I don't think there's a need for complete overhaul every year. Yes, in my humble opinion the features revealed and shown are really cool QoL features, but not enough for me to buy the game (for now at least) but we're not forced into buying the game are we? 

I've always thought that: If I don't like the new game (features, early footage, free beta/demo) - I'm not supporting company for the game I don't and won't enjoy. 

And honestly, I'd like to know what new features should FM2020/FM2021 have to NOT BE A DLC

19 hours ago, herne79 said:

btw, you have long and loud commented on ME problems yet you rarely (if ever) try asking for help in the Tactics forum.  Why not?  You clearly have issues identifying things yet those issues you mention about better scoring, great moves and through balls are ones that I don't really see.  That's not to say things can't be improved in the ME, especially if tactical solutions may impact the style of play you are trying to achieve (things can be improved and apparently have been if the latest blog is anything to go by) but to lay the blame 100% on the ME I'm afraid is - given your posting history - a little hard to take seriously.

I know this is premature, but that's oft to do with Players who download their tactics someplace (which is a perfectly viable way of playing just as any). Either because they don't have much interest to get invested (which an ass man could solve some) or because they don't get the tactics module of the game (which has ist quirks.) As argued, very unfortunately, often times those downloads lack in basic sports sense, even the most popular ones of all year. Random Matches with mostly poor 50 shots and no Goal to be expected, and a Corner alone up to every 2nd 3rd Minute, all depending how the AI lines up and the run of Goals, if there are to be any. Generally, if there are ME issues, they tend to be exaggerated with illogical tactics and then some, at least in individual matches. And yes, I do check this stuff out from time to time.

A decent workman may not Always blame the Tools he's given -- but some of those Tools FM gives to Players up to FM 19 are questionable, given that it's simulating "Football Management". I realize that the main Designers of FM have Always treated FM to be a "learning simulation". However, the expectation may be that, no matter what you do, it will result in something roughly "football-like". After all, you are given a manager's Job, not applying to a Basic Coaching / Management Course. Btw, I recently lined up a side in a way that the Opposition was clear through on Goal on any interception likewise. That's clearly not football-like. But I was aware of it that I was doing it, and it was for the lulz. :D 

Edited by Svenc

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

You're comparing the quality of a colour, from a aplha version of a game on its lowest setting, to a final version of a game on a higher setting.

Maybe run them side by side on your own laptop, on exact same settings, and then decide if it's such a regression it's worth being on here complaining about it for days over.

There's a comparison of screenshots from various previous versions literally one page back, I assume they were taken on the same settings. I also sometimes come back to older FMs to play for a season or two and the regression in pitch texture quality is pretty clear to me. 

1 hour ago, Bigpole said:

I know that features compared to last year's are a little 'underwhelming' but what do you really expect? I don't think there's a need for complete overhaul every year. Yes, in my humble opinion the features revealed and shown are really cool QoL features, but not enough for me to buy the game (for now at least) but we're not forced into buying the game are we? 

I've always thought that: If I don't like the new game (features, early footage, free beta/demo) - I'm not supporting company for the game I don't and won't enjoy. 

And honestly, I'd like to know what new features should FM2020/FM2021 have to NOT BE A DLC

I was referring specifically to the pitch texture and match engine graphics and nothing else. FWIW I agree with your points, not sure where you got any of the above from my post.

35 minutes ago, Svenc said:

I know this is premature, but that's oft to do with Players who download their tactics someplace (which is a perfectly viable way of playing just as any). Either because they don't have much interest to get invested (which an ass man could solve some) or because they don't get the tactics module of the game (which has ist quirks.) As argued, very unfortunately, often times those downloads lack in basic sports sense, even the most popular ones of all year. Random Matches with mostly poor 50 shots and no Goal to be expected, and a Corner alone up to every 2nd 3rd Minute, all depending how the AI lines up and the run of Goals, if there are to be any. Generally, if there are ME issues, they tend to be exaggerated with illogical tactics and then some, at least in individual matches. And yes, I do check this stuff out from time to time.

A decent workman may not Always blame the Tools he's given -- but some of those Tools FM gives to Players up to FM 19 are questionable, given that it's simulating "Football Management". I realize that the main Designers of FM have Always treated FM to be a "learning simulation". However, the expectation may be that, no matter what you do, it will result in something roughly "football-like". After all, you are given a manager's Job, not applying to a Basic Coaching / Management Course. Btw, I recently lined up a side in a way that the Opposition was clear through on Goal on any interception likewise. That's clearly not football-like. But I was aware of it that I was doing it, and it was for the lulz. :D 

Its still only a game at the end of the day, SI is doing its best to try and make it visually easier for people to fathom what happens from the choices they make in the game. Ultimately, older players like you will always have the edge

On 25/10/2019 at 11:45, Rashidi said:

I made a suggestion to break shots down -  open play, set pieces, inside the box outside the box. And i wanted to see the existing ccc's broken down into chances created by formation and in totality.

Being able to break shots down more accurately would be amazing for sure. Currently your best bet is to click on each and every shot, which can be very tedious.

8cYXeWr.png

3 minutes ago, saltoalex said:

What is this exactly? I'm spanish and i do not understand? What does Quality of life in a game do?

It basically means small improvements that makes life easier when using the software. For example, making it easier to find information that were behind strange menus, or improving visibility of certain features. Fixing the small issues that you mostly notice when you have used it for a while. Or small improvements that you didn't even know you missed. A very basic example is when someone introduced copy-paste. Now you can copy and paste text instead of writing it all again from scratch. Things that don't change key features, but improves usability.

4 hours ago, Sheriff7 said:

This feature thingy has been going for long and now first time something can be said about Social. Should be evidents that people really dont care or need it

6 minutes ago, saihtam said:

This feature thingy has been going for long and now first time something can be said about Social. Should be evidents that people really dont care or need it

It's not an important part of the game, but it helps with the immersion. It's a fun addition

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

6 minutes ago, saihtam said:

Social media is a huge market and especially in soccer. I underestimate it too, but I think the average soccer fan definitely uses some form of social media. We are on a social media platform as well. 

5 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Its still only a game at the end of the day, SI is doing its best to try and make it visually easier for people to fathom what happens from the choices they make in the game. Ultimately, older players like you will always have the edge

Any experienced Player is eventually to gain some Edge. However, my Point was that there are tactical combinations in there that are almost destined to lead to some horrible Football (and match stats perceived to be as unrealistic/weird) at some Point. Some of them may be not even immediately obvious. :) 

4 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Being able to break shots down more accurately would be amazing for sure. Currently your best bet is to click on each and every shot, which can be very tedious.

Kinda, yes. :D

3kZxb5p.png

Unlike the older, albeit less powerful Analysis Tools up until FM 2015ish, it's also two clicks to get the replay of the shot going, when it used to be one. With the first click you select the shot, and with the second you opt to either "watch the highlight" or "Show linked Events". This actually DISCOURAGES Players from looking more deeply into things, even though that may be useful. It's just too much busywork. 

Unlike this match, at such shot volumes, you are typically dealing a) against opponents parking the bus. b) against such a lot of shots even within decent range may be from set pieces (headers under pressure etc.), which means an open play move was defended prior. From my experience, whenever I see somebody Posting a match with ~15 shots on target and no Goal, I know what to look out for… and it rarely disappoints.

Edited by Svenc