Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

As said previously, having the game being able to run in software was limiting the advances we could make with the game. Now we no longer support it we can do more.

I'm afraid that's the price of progression. 

Ah, ok. Can you suggest any other ways I can improve the quality of the match engine?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.. my first impressions after two hours of fiddling around:

• The look is very polished
  • Dynamics seems very interesting.. and slightly frightening

I don't like the fade in and out effect of windows. Especially the quick attribute view.

And last but certainly not least:  I play almost exclusively on classic 2D and in this state it is for me almost unusable.

Why is the colour of the gras neon green?

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, willstannard said:

Ah, ok. Can you suggest any other ways I can improve the quality of the match engine?

Lower the settings via the preferences -> match panel. You can alter individual options or perhaps just try lowering the overall quality from say 'High' to 'Medium' etc. 

7 minutes ago, SkaldfraNorden said:

The very fact that people have to ask how to do some of the simplest things in the game (PI, scouting) and a number of options being taken out (in preferences for instance) make me think that UI has gone the wrong way around and that '18 edition is still far from finished product.

PS. Yes, I know it is beta nevertheless.

The interface hasn't changed that much.

As in every new release you have to make some adjustments under preferences like the squad or player landing page.

9 minutes ago, SkaldfraNorden said:

TBH I still haven't played the game, I'm waiting to see impressions and demo to try out before deciding to buy, but these six and a half pages don't seem so persuasive so far, although it is beta. I remember last year's beta comments were far more positive than tonight.

The very fact that people have to ask how to do some of the simplest things in the game (PI, scouting) and a number of options being taken out (in preferences for instance) make me think that UI has gone the wrong way around and that '18 edition is still far from finished product.

PS. Yes, I know it is beta nevertheless.

You will always get people posting about complaints/bugs rather than people saying how good the game is.

Guarantee thousands are playing and enjoying it, just not posting about it.

21 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

If a Macbook runs at a temperature which will damage the system it'll shut down. Computers are designed in such a way that they push themselves to run whatever they're running as well as they can. In doing so, the processor/GPU etc will work hard. That's what fans are for, to cool the system. If a system is running hard, the fans will run hard. 

What sort of temperature is your system running at when FM is up? 

Runs at 82C idle main menu. Spikes up to 87C. My fans are cleaned out.

During gameplay I'm getting 90 - 95. Fan running at 5700rpm

Edited by FransH

Just now, pikeal said:

If I am to change interface etc will this be reset when the full game is released? Thanks.

Preference settings are saved in the Documents Folder of your operating system and aren't affected by an update.

Only managed to install it, boot it up and start a game so far before having to go to work.

The music was a bit surprising on the startup and was the first thing I turned off (sorry).

If it hasn't already been mentioned when you create your manager, for me, his hands were always jet black and you couldn't change your hair colour and facial hair colour independently of each other.

Other than that I will be delving deep and being a good Beta tester over the next couple of weeks. #TryToBreakFM

Been messing around for hours, everything looks great.

Then I got to my first pre-season game and all players are black.
Not human skin color black, but totally black. Hair color is ok, but players are black.
Also, played on director camera and my team was taking a free kick, maybe 25m distance.
Camera switched to behind the goal view, except for that it was actually in front of the goal so I couldn't see the goal at all, until I switched to other camera.

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Been messing around for hours, everything looks great.

Then I got to my first pre-season game and all players are black.
Not human skin color black, but totally black. Hair color is ok, but players are black.
Also, played on director camera and my team was taking a free kick, maybe 25m distance.
Camera switched to behind the goal view, except for that it was actually in front of the goal so I couldn't see the goal at all, until I switched to other camera.

Raise it within the bugs forum either in PC or Mac/Linux forum depending what your OS is and we'll take a look. Thanks. 

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, FransH said:

Runs at 82C idle main menu. Spikes up to 87C. My fans are cleaned out.

During gameplay I'm getting 90 - 95. Fan running at 5700rpm

Yeah it's pretty hot, but FM is a demanding game and will put the system under heavy load. It's just pushing it hard as said. 

I'd suggest making sure it's on a flat hard surface (so not on your lap or say on a bed duvet) and it may be worth investing in a cooling pad. 

Macs running hot is pretty common, there's a pretty recent article covering it here - https://www.softwarehow.com/fix-macbook-pro-overheating/

2 hours ago, LeeCutty said:

That is slightly better but I don't get why the split screen was removed, with this screen we still have a background that we don't need.

I've managed to get as seen below which is better, been able to get rid of the needless background would be nice if possible for release though.

90BAE5A694D04ACD977273D17747DAA25CD50014

If you drag one of the widgets to the side of the screen you can dock it if you then pin it you'll get a static background instead of the pitch, you can then enlarge the docked area which will give you something similar to the old split view. Not sure if the game will let you then dock the left panel so you can fill the screen.

If you want goal replays their should be an option under either the widget or cog menu to min. the widgets on highlights which should put the pitch into focus when there is a replay.

(And once the full game is out, I'll likely release some updated match screen mods to increase the customizability of the widgets and IBH panel if still possible).

35 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I am very happy overall.

The match engine seems to be very good although I am having a little trouble following the ball.

If you have any matches where you struggle to see the ball then it is worth raising the issue in the bugs forum with pkm's of the matches so the lighting can be improved for release.

raised the question a few weeks ago re this

Mbappe transfer and other future transfers and as feared they are not working as I suggested

so no money leave PSG to Monaco so Monaco who should be massively in credit with this sale are now on course to fail FFP

aea9375966f2b8aba29e1e59d1edd2cf.jpg

7856f6b243f12fe585cdcaffbd682309.jpg

first shows balance just before the Mbappe sale

later shows no income for the transfer so Monaco are £160m down

Edited by kingrobbo

6 hours ago, KUBI said:

It's not possible to add a manager picture. 

I don't want to miss an opportunity to complain about this.  And Miles's justification reveals that he hasn't the faintest idea what our complaint even is (nobody is arguing for putting a 2D photo on the 3D figure).  And who cares about the title screen anyway?  It's absolutely baffling.

Hi on Matchday i use Only Commentry and Replays for Goals on previous versions.

Problem i getting is the Replay not showing Goals in 3D pitch angle whilst using Only Commentry. The match does not pause and show the Goal and just continues in Commentry. Is this as intended?

Also the Commentry seems out of sync with the speeds i set in settings.

Quick feedback:

- default skin is great, I like the rounded features all around 

- analysis of the pitch in the tactics great 

- changing/substituting a player, when you hover over the one you are substituting you get a quick look at the important attributes and it shows you by how many points they're better or worse (love that one)

- Intensity on the tactics screen seems new and in relation to injury risk because of tactics?

- scouting : I wasn't able to find the scouting packages yet. Any tips? Do I go to player search, or by the scouting budget?

- Match: quite a few things changed here. I like it. Less camera view presets but then you can adjust the height and zoom of the camera to your liking. You can see the player animations are much better and the whole lighting. I also like that the pitch doesn't disappear while you change things as the new windows kinda overlay on top of the pitch.

- Contract negotiations: right from the get go I had some renewals and there are clearly much more options there. 

- Dynamics : haven't had much time with it yet but it says for my team, cohesion is a bit low and it will affect positioning. This is fixed by playing them (the same 11?) longer together I suppose?

All in all, very big upgrade in my opinion. It looks, feels, and plays differently than any of the other years. I'm back to being a beginner and learning the game again. 

2 minutes ago, tyro said:

Quick feedback:

- default skin is great, I like the rounded features all around 

- analysis of the pitch in the tactics great 

- changing/substituting a player, when you hover over the one you are substituting you get a quick look at the important attributes and it shows you by how many points they're better or worse (love that one)

- Intensity on the tactics screen seems new and in relation to injury risk because of tactics?

- scouting : I wasn't able to find the scouting packages yet. Any tips? Do I go to player search, or by the scouting budget?

- Match: quite a few things changed here. I like it. Less camera view presets but then you can adjust the height and zoom of the camera to your liking. You can see the player animations are much better and the whole lighting. I also like that the pitch doesn't disappear while you change things as the new windows kinda overlay on top of the pitch.

- Contract negotiations: right from the get go I had some renewals and there are clearly much more options there. 

- Dynamics : haven't had much time with it yet but it says for my team, cohesion is a bit low and it will affect positioning. This is fixed by playing them (the same 11?) longer together I suppose?

All in all, very big upgrade in my opinion. It looks, feels, and plays differently than any of the other years. I'm back to being a beginner and learning the game again. 

Go to scouting, players and look at the top left of the screen. Packages should be there, mine says senior package Central Europe. Click on that at it should open a dialogue where you can select from the various packages available.

First of all, this isn't a moan or complaint about the game itself - I've been playing the game for 12 years or so now.

One of my biggest disappointments with this years game is the actual 'look' of the game. I've always thought FM looked polished and looked professional. It was always the sort of thing that I thought wouldn't look out of place on a real life coaches laptop. However this latest version just looks really amateurish and 'arcadey' to me.

I saw another member say in the feedback forum that it looked like a custom skin job and didn't look as professional and polished as previous releases. I think the bold capital letters look poor, and I think the general look and appearance of different screens looks poor too. I know these are little things but they do contribute to my enjoyment of the game, so just felt as a paying customer it was right to voice them.

Hope everyone else is enjoying the game though!

My first impressions

The Good/Excellent

Scouting and player searching seems very good add realism

Dynamics seems interesting and a good feature

Medical centre a good addition

The Bad

Tactics screen to cluttered

The Awful

Horrendous pitch colour ....florescent eye numbing GREEN

Comprehensive highlights run like key

Undecided

Match engine too early to say

Match day experience seems disjointed and could become tedious

Update:

3d graphics are the worst since 3d was introduced how can this get thru testing

Stadiums have no sense of realism

crowds look worse than ever

Edited by mark davis

Somewhat disappointing start to the BETA for me...playing on Mac Book Pro and all text is very pixelated & blurry (Unplayable, with no remedy as yet) The loss of standard 2D is a crime in my eyes. Was fantastic in FM2017 the 2D Classic is very poor IMO.

Tactic screen looks so cluttered & far too much going on in one spot.

Back to FM2017 for me until the Retina & resolution gets sorted for Mac Books.

Disappointing indeed!!! 

Issue: Screen is compressing despite default monitor settings

No. The screen should not look like a 1990 word processing application with a colored background (nor should it crash while attempting to display). (See attachment team_distort freeze crash.jpg.)

2nd Issue: I prefer to play a faster style of gameplay using the "Commentary Only" attribute. Not only do I feel like I need meth to keep up with it during the beta release, but in addition, there is no sound when switching between a tactical view and the "Commentary Only" view. (File exceeds maximum size limit.)

team_distort freeze crash.jpg

Still confused by pre-game tactics talk. What are we supposed to do?

It seems entirely random?

The Match Day doesn't flow naturally, you have to go looking for the team talk rather than being presented with it for example.

The layout of the tactics screens has regressed several years, FM17 was sweet, why they mess with it i'll never know.

One the plus side, i've had no sign of the AI super duper come backs when they are a goal down on the second half prevalent on FM17. You can see out a game on FM18 quite comfortably much of the time.

Obviouly i've not got the hang of the camera thing as I seem to have far fewer options than before.

Some big changes this year, we might have some short term pain for some long term gain.

9 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

The layout of the tactics screens has regressed several years, FM17 was sweet, why they mess with it i'll never know.

Totally agree, tactic screen is horrific in this version. Tinkering for the sake of tinkering. FM17 was perfectly fine & easy to navigate around.

40 minutes ago, Mr U Rosler said:

One the plus side, i've had no sign of the AI super duper come backs when they are a goal down on the second half prevalent on FM17. You can see out a game on FM18 quite comfortably much of the time.

This just made my heart sink. I was hoping they had improved the AI to make it a bit of a contest. :(  [tbf, that it was so easy to hold onto leads prior was also an engine weakness, imo, if you chose to "exploit" it mind. Though AI never applied much more added pressure on the ball even if it theoretically could within the limited confines of FM].

Also, a few of such comebacks "out of nowhere" could also be fueled by a few engine quirks too (three central forwards never hugely tracking back for any team, which means any short switch makes for easy breaks for the team who's just switched to it -- which AI could also do in very short bursts to switch back again). The same applies to the more extreme, perhaps "unrealiastic" AI approaches, starting matches with barely getting a player forward, and then doing the completely opposite in bursts. Reworking some of the above could have lead to the perception of more evenly matches (and less comebacks "out of the blue") all by itself. Looking forward for some added tactical/AI feedback anyway. :)

Edited by Svenc

15 minutes ago, Saethdar said:

Issue: Screen is compressing despite default monitor settings

No. The screen should not look like a 1990 word processing application with a colored background (nor should it crash while attempting to display). (See attachment team_distort freeze crash.jpg.)

2nd Issue: I prefer to play a faster style of gameplay using the "Commentary Only" attribute. Not only do I feel like I need meth to keep up with it during the beta release, but in addition, there is no sound when switching between a tactical view and the "Commentary Only" view. (File exceeds maximum size limit.)

team_distort freeze crash.jpg

You playing on Mac Book Pro by any chance? If so its a known issue with the retina. No fix until release by the looks of it according to the mods.

I have to say that the Match Day menu is awful. I'm constantly missing out OI's because I go straight to team talk then match.

I also think OI's missing from the match toolbar is annoying. I have to go through three screens to get there.

This year's release feels bloated and a little bit of a step back.

8 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

And to add to this, if I have multiple reports, I can only see one at a time, and there's no way to see others without closing that white scouting screen. There should be a way of moving between these little scouting 'cards'

Completely agree. Much harder to quickly go through all your recent scouting reports.

Well i got this message . I was managing Barcelona and Man Utd made a bid for Arda Turan which i accepted. few days after i got the Man Utd interested in Turan News Article and Jurno's asking me Turan is Transfer interest to Utd and where you stand on it. 

Isn't this should be happening the other way around. Man Utd offer is also accepted by Turan and waiting for Work Permit 

Also Isn't playing for National team is sufficient for a Work permit, Turan played 97 International Matches for Turkey but Turkey not having High World Ranking meant that he cant go to Manchester United.

Im confused

Edited by ferrarinseb

8 hours ago, Jack Deal said:

Split screen as it was is no longer an option, however you can "dock" widgets and pin them, which creates the same effect. When dragging a match widget, there are icons at the top/bottom/left/right, if you drag onto those you create a dock. Click the pin icon and you have a split view between the pitch and your widgets, so you can have the view split from any angle and have any widgets you'd like in it. It can be widened if you choose to.

This worries me. Does this mean the background picture (stadium background graphics) is no longer available during match view?

Just now, dSquib said:

can't find the Segundo Volante role to assign in tactics, though it does show up when highlighting key attributes. 

It needs to be a DM in the DMCL/R position, so either an offset DM or part of 2 or 3 DMs.

1. Locked player roles. E.g. a false 9 must move into channels (just one interpretation, not necessarily Pep's either... ), an advanced playmaker can't be instructed to occasionally shoot even if he has 20 for shooting... box to box CMs must roam from position.... the list is long. Basically it sucks playing someone elses interpretation of football. 

2. The pitches look like untextured flurescent 2d carpets you'd make on paint.net.

3. The bar thing for penalty shootouts is confusing. Also I'm getting a lot of penalties saved.

4. The 'buttons' to change settings in-match are confusing, I'd prefer text. 

5. Don't know if it's my resolution, but clicking (i) on players is fiddly.

6. The kicking sounds made during the game have no relation to what is happening. Also I had loud crowd noise for my first empty stadium intra-club friendly. 

Edited by pablito15

I'm liking it so far. The new scouting system is nice, especially as I can just tell the guys I need a new defender who's a leader (helpful for liverpool) and 2 weeks later I got a list of 20 names. Not all were suitable, but still a lot easier to use.

Tactics analysis looks much better now, I used my tactic from last year and saw that I had big red spaces behind my midfield, couple tweaks later and it looks a lot more balanced.

Most of all I'm just glad anfield no longer looks like a league 1 ground. I know it's random so my next save it might, but at least in this one it isn't, and won't be every single time.

Pre match and and post match player conversations though. Got a large core group who are all happy but when I talk to them they are tense. Even after a 4-0 win on the first game of the season.