Football Manager Early Access Beta *Official* Feedback Thread - 18.0.3

Message added by Neil Brock

If you have constructive feedback please post it in this thread.

If you have something you think is wrong or a bug, please raise it in the relevant section of the bugs forum

https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

This will be the surest way anything that you notice or that bothers you can be addressed. Thanks.

LOL :) 

The issue with free kicks that Totalfootballfan found could be exploited further if not handled properly, look at the defenders... they just stand and do nothing :eek: 

7 hours ago, Totalfootballfan said:

Hi guys !

I find that in FM18 Beta Free Kicks are at very weird state. How does it look to you?

The defending team doesn’t go back to its formation shape after free kicks has been taken, it really looks anecdotal.

Also, it doesn’t matter how many players you sent forward during attacking free kicks the AI team always have all players at the back.

Watch the video below to see what I’m talking about:

It also looks very weird when players cross inside the box even that they were instructed to deliver “Short” and there are no teammates at all inside the box.

Watch the video below to see what I’m talking about:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the scouting system when I used it last night. 

Not sure I'm sold on the UI and Matchday flow as I seem to be clicking a lot but have only played a few matches so this is an undecided.

The new shouts system seems clunkier than before where you could select all and then change individual on a drop down also there are no shout tones now which seems strange, Was this a conscious decision coz it implies that tone for shouts in FM17 was irrelevant?

Also am trying to play a compact passing game but most highlights are me launching the ball is this due to reputation (started with applicable for level), level of football (Danish 2nd Div) or tactical familiarity being low? 

I've only played for an hour or 2 just looking round the game and getting a feel but my thoughts so far are:

As much as I think fm17 looked better and I think fm18 looks very sega ish, if that makes sense, I think it looks pretty good and will get used to it quite quickly.

love the new dynamics feature, be quite interesting to see how the social groups and heirarchy progresses through a couple seasons, the happiness section is also great.

I don't mind the look of the match day, did prefer it when I could just have the player ratings showing on only commentary, but again is something I will quite easily get used to.

The only issue I have been having is the whole matchday is quite laggy and slow, not sure if it's my laptop or the game though, and sometimes during the matchday when I click on something the screen goes funny and starts missing segments, again not sure if my laptop or the game, can post a picture later.

But overall I think it looks good and can't wait to sink some hours into it.

Couple of things for me.

1)  Whenever I get a free kick just outside the box, the Director camera angle seems to be from the stand just behind the goal and misses all the action.  Perhaps this should be the other way around

2)  At half time whilst changing tactics, the rotating pitch in the background is playing havoc with my eyes and head.  Get a sicky feeling when making tactical changes from that screen

Apart from those 2 things, thoroughly enjoying it so far

1 hour ago, Saethdar said:

Issue: Screen is compressing despite default monitor settings

No. The screen should not look like a 1990 word processing application with a colored background (nor should it crash while attempting to display). (See attachment team_distort freeze crash.jpg.)

2nd Issue: I prefer to play a faster style of gameplay using the "Commentary Only" attribute. Not only do I feel like I need meth to keep up with it during the beta release, but in addition, there is no sound when switching between a tactical view and the "Commentary Only" view. (File exceeds maximum size limit.)

team_distort freeze crash.jpg

Totally agree with your assessment of needing “meth” to keep up with Commentry during match.

Speed adjustments so out of sync atm.

Edited by Ohu

I might be stupid, but I can not get a grip on scouting. I can't find where can I filter players like "midfielder-right side-value 5-15mil-right foot" like it was on fm17. Here I can only say "Defenders/midfielders/attackers"?? How do I choose only DM's or AM's or wingers?

What is this "general" and "short term" options where you choose players under "intelligent/physical/etc.." with "peak/young/etc.." ? What is that, how does that work?

I took control over Arsenal and apparently they only have scouting package of England?? So then I bought the "entire world" package, because why not but I can't really see the difference. I feel dumb.

And how do the packages work anyway? Because I had England package only but then in my inbox I was recieving players from all over the world. ( I suppose it's my chief scout sending me those).

Do I need to remove him from responsibility for scouting in oreder for me to be able to filter players like in FM17 or what?

Also, what's up with 2D camera? Why is there no stadium, only a pitch with massive gray ugly surroundings? Why is there no 2D camera, only 2D classic?

And why on earth are ManCity and PSG interested in Mohammed Elneny??? :D

I've played it for about 4/5 hours now. Most of the changes have been great. Actually, everything except for the match itself, is really good. The match day is disappointing. I know it is the BETA so hopefully, they will improve things.. but the goalkeepers seem to be worse, watching a game is bordering on cringe-worthy.

With the tactics it seems that FM16 was .tac file, then FM17 was .fmf file and now we are back to .tac file. Do they not want you to take your old tactic into the new game? It's going to take me a while to figure out how to be good at this game again, as everything I've tried has given me horrendous results. 

Overall, nice new features - scouting is great, dynamics is great, the general look is great.

However the 3D match engine is shocking. 

9 minutes ago, Whoarethey? said:

Bit of a mixed bag really

The whole look is going  back at least 10 years imo. Resolution looks cheap and as others have said looks like a custom skin from 2009.

Having said that the match engine seems improved and some of the new feature work for me.

100% agree with this. I don't understand how the people working for SI haven't picked up on how amateur it looks. It really does look like a game from 10 years ago instead of the new version. FM17 looked much more polished and professional than this unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, dewhirst said:

With the tactics it seems that FM16 was .tac file, then FM17 was .fmf file and now we are back to .tac file. Do they not want you to take your old tactic into the new game?

This should explain it:

8 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Bear in mind ,fmf files are disabled for the beta as the workshop isn't live so you won't be able to export and import tactics files. 

2 minutes ago, Boss said:

100% agree with this. I don't understand how the people working for SI haven't picked up on how amateur it looks. It really does look like a game from 10 years ago instead of the new version. FM17 looked much more polished and professional than this unfortunately.

I am assuming the look just cant be anything as bad as it is come the release date...

Presumably they must be aware how bad it looks, fwiw I have played the game on a laptop just above min specs and on one with a very good high spec. Game looks poor on both infact no notable difference

1. Locked player roles. E.g. a false 9 must move into channels (just one interpretation, not necessarily Pep's either... ), an advanced playmaker can't be instructed to occasionally shoot even if he has 20 for shooting... the list is long. Basically it sucks playing someone elses interpretation of football. 

2. The pitches look like untextured flurescent 2d carpets you'd make on paint.net.

3. The bar thing for penalty shootouts is confusing. Also I'm getting a lot of penalties saved.

4. The 'buttons' to change settings in-match are confusing, I'd prefer text. 

5. Don't know if it's my resolution, but clicking (i) on players is fiddly.

6. Blackface FM? Really?

Untitled.jpg

Edited by pablito15

Player stats during game with passes, shots is too hidden away in the analysis tab. It should be more accesible

i spent half an hour figuring you have to click of your formation in the analysis tab

Initial issue is that the speeds feels sluggish in the match, might just me though. Like the look of the interface and in match. Although Im not a fan of where you make your changes on the screen in match compared to last year

Me looks much sharper so far and the new Volante role in DM might just be my single favourite addition in the last load of FMs 👌 

I only got about 90 minutes on it last night, and an hour of that was fruitlessly holidaying to try and pick up an international job (which appears to be impossible when starting unemployed, as it was in previous games).  Dropped into a club role, and the interface (outside of matches, which oh boy I'll get to) is a lot cleaner, nicer, easier to use.  There is a lot more information in there as part of dynamics etc, will be interesting to see how that works long term.  But interface wise, I quite like it.

Played one match, and...well, meh.  I've struggled to get into previous editions, and looks like this might be similar.  I'm not seeing a massive sea-change in the ME, and I found the ball quite hard to follow at times.  Not sure if I need to fiddle with graphics settings.  Then there's the black-and-white-minstrel show that is the match itself.  I know Thistle have a large amount of handsome black players (not quite as many now though unfortunately) but it's becoming a bit ridiculous.

All in all, it's OK.  With more time I'm sure it'll get better.

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Go to scouting, players and look at the top left of the screen. Packages should be there, mine says senior package Central Europe. Click on that at it should open a dialogue where you can select from the various packages available.

Thank you.

17 minutes ago, andu1 said:

Player stats during game with passes, shots is too hidden away in the analysis tab. It should be more accesible

i spent half an hour figuring you have to click of your formation in the analysis tab

And even with the player and team stats in the Analysis, they seem a litter...shall we say...incorrect?  80 shots saved!! plus the data is inconsistent with the graphical representation as I have highlighted in the screenshot :-)

FM18 Data Bug.jpg

I don't understand some player ratings this year. I mean Mbappé has CA and O. Dembelé wtf.  Marcos Llorente Real Madrid DM only has PA and Achraf in CA when he is actually better right now. This database looks like from last year.

Edited by michaeltmurrayuk
removed ca/pa values

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Ohu said:

Hi on Matchday i use Only Commentry and Replays for Goals on previous versions.

Problem i getting is the Replay not showing Goals in 3D pitch angle whilst using Only Commentry. The match does not pause and show the Goal and just continues in Commentry. Is this as intended?

Also the Commentry seems out of sync with the speeds i set in settings.

Please raise your issues in our match engine bugs forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/566-match-engine/

Thanks. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Saethdar said:

Issue: Screen is compressing despite default monitor settings

No. The screen should not look like a 1990 word processing application with a colored background (nor should it crash while attempting to display). (See attachment team_distort freeze crash.jpg.)

2nd Issue: I prefer to play a faster style of gameplay using the "Commentary Only" attribute. Not only do I feel like I need meth to keep up with it during the beta release, but in addition, there is no sound when switching between a tactical view and the "Commentary Only" view. (File exceeds maximum size limit.)

team_distort freeze crash.jpg

Can you please raise your issue on the bugs forum (either in PC or Mac/Linux issues depending on your OS)? - https://community.sigames.com/forum/563-football-manager-2018-early-access-beta-bugs-forum/

Thanks. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

I have to say that the Match Day menu is awful. I'm constantly missing out OI's because I go straight to team talk then match.

I also think OI's missing from the match toolbar is annoying. I have to go through three screens to get there.

This year's release feels bloated and a little bit of a step back.

You can also handle your OI's in the pre-match briefing panel. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, ferrarinseb said:

Well i got this message . I was managing Barcelona and Man Utd made a bid for Arda Turan which i accepted. few days after i got the Man Utd interested in Turan News Article and Jurno's asking me Turan is Transfer interest to Utd and where you stand on it. 

Isn't this should be happening the other way around. Man Utd offer is also accepted by Turan and waiting for Work Permit 

Also Isn't playing for National team is sufficient for a Work permit, Turan played 97 International Matches for Turkey but Turkey not having High World Ranking meant that he cant go to Manchester United.

Im confused

Please raise the issue (ideally with a pre-press conference save) on our bugs forum so we can look into it - https://community.sigames.com/forum/569-other-gameplay/

Thanks. 

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, dewhirst said:

I've played it for about 4/5 hours now. Most of the changes have been great. Actually, everything except for the match itself, is really good. The match day is disappointing. I know it is the BETA so hopefully, they will improve things.. but the goalkeepers seem to be worse, watching a game is bordering on cringe-worthy.

With the tactics it seems that FM16 was .tac file, then FM17 was .fmf file and now we are back to .tac file. Do they not want you to take your old tactic into the new game? It's going to take me a while to figure out how to be good at this game again, as everything I've tried has given me horrendous results. 

Overall, nice new features - scouting is great, dynamics is great, the general look is great.

However the 3D match engine is shocking. 

.fmf files aren't available for the game until the workshop is live on full release. That's why you can't import files from 17. 

Mixed feelings about the game at the moment.
But the one thing that is almost driving me insane, even though it's a Beta, is the custom views.
After so many iterations it's still a nightmare at times.
Views resetting all the time, together with the illogcial behaviour when trying to resize columns.
Now, i know this is Beta and that it may or may not change, but it's been like this for quite some time now.

I did manage to keep it at bay for FM17, which was nice. But now it's back again.
The only time, apart from FM17, i've managed to keep the custom views consistently there, as i made them, has been when i've xml'd them.

Even though every iteration is progressing there are quite a few things that are taking a step or two backwards.
And it irks me a bit that the stuff that goes backwards are things that have been in the series for a while and reported so many times.

In other news:

This game might take some time getting used to, but i think and hope that i'll get there.
Not too overjoyed with the new camera settings yet, but that'll probably pass.
So far i have mixed emotions about the game. Let's play some more and see where it takes me :thup:

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, headshothitman said:

My thoughts exactly? Main Stand was the best - I can't believe I have to mess around with sliders to get this view back!!

You can make changes with the zoom and height of the camera via the match settings panel in-match. 

16 minutes ago, luka_ said:

Okay, can someone elaborate on the horrific 2D view? Sea of grey with the pitch in the middle? Is this a bug or is this by design?

By design unfortunately.....mind boggling that they ditched standard 2D, was superb in FM17.....Im all for getting better graphics in game so why didn't they ditch the 2D classic and have the option for 2D or the 3D?

Makes no sense at all to me. If we are striving to get better, surely the old school 2D classic should have gone instead of the smooth classy looking 2D. Extremely disappointed.

• Administrators
Just now, roykela said:

Mixed feelings about the game at the moment.
But the one thing that is almost driving me insane, even though it's a Beta, is the custom views.
After so many iterations it's still a nightmare at times.
Views resetting all the time, together with the illogcial behaviour when trying to resize columns.
Now, i know this is Beta and that it may or may not change, but it's been like this for quite some time now.

I did manage to keep it at bay for FM17, which was nice. But now it's back again.
The only time, apart from FM17, i've managed to keep the custom views consistently there, as i made them, has been when i've xml'd them.

Even though every iteration is progressing there are quite a few things that are taking a step or two backwards.
And it irks me a bit that the stuff that goes backwards are things that have been in the series for a while and reported so many times.

In other news:

This game might take some time getting used to, but i think and hope that i'll get there.
Not too overjoyed with the new camera settings yet, but that'll probably pass.
So far i have mixed emotions about the game. Let's play some more and see where it takes me :thup:

Please raise about the custom views in the UI forum here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/567-user-interface/

Thanks. 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, luka_ said:

Okay, can someone elaborate on the horrific 2D view? Sea of grey with the pitch in the middle? Is this a bug or is this by design?

If you think there are issues with how 2D appears please raise it in the match engine forum here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/566-match-engine/

Thanks. 

Crowd noise seems skewed.  Watched ManU v someone in a friendly, full stadium noise levels seemed appropriate. Then watched Salford V Deeping in a freindly, noisiest 160 people I have ever heard :rolleyes: . It would be better if levels were toned better according to numbers.

This my note list playing FM 18. Sorry if there is anything from previous versions. 

- On the screen of creating manager you can define what areas you will take care of the club.

- I can't activate my Twitter, maybe is a password problem or other problem with FM like in previous versions

-The pop-up animations are more fluid.

- I had a crazy bug when I was changing the skins making the text disappear but it was fixed restarting the game

- I liked to have a shortcut to report any bugs 

- I liked the "intensity" bar in "Tactics", it will help how to manage the team on some matches depending of the tactic in use.

- "Match Plans" was a genial idea which I was expecting for a long time.

- I love that intro song, besides the game intro is beautiful. But I suggest to include an option like in FIFAM to add mp3 files in a folder to be played during the game like in GTA with the "Playlist FM".

- The text size on Preferences have 4 options, a new one with %125 zoom.

- I think it wasn't in the previous version but when you go to your manager profile there is a button to edit the manager appearance, on his pic.

- The Scouting Focus is divided in two parts: a "general" one which will be the main focus of the team searching and the "short term" one which will be short and specific searches. And like the players wage, will be a budget for scouting team.

- I still think it should two or more secondary groups in Dynamics depending the relationship between players.

- On Facilities tab of the club there is a Data Analysis Facilities. And you can improve it asking to Board in "Facilities".

- The filters for staff search are active clicking on a button for a new search instead the previous version style when the filters on your face and you just adding/removing them. And if you look for a GK coach there is no the GK attribute, now there will be 3 ones, shot stopping, handling and distribution)

- There is Judging Player Data, Judging Team Data and Present Data for Analysts.

- Using the white skin and playing with PSG is disturbing to see any submenu of the menus which are on top of the screen, the background is blue with dark letters, this way I cant see well

- Some players have "style", like in FIFAM.

- Reserves and Youth team have tabs for Dynamics and Medical Center

- You can ask for a scouter and analyst report about a player

- On the scout there is an orange glass with a number in the center, like a scout recomendation score. 

- There is a scouters meeting indicating a player list to be observed and analyzed 

- The registration panel that shows how you must register the team (number of players, foreigners and other rules) are on the top.

- On player development report suggest what player should up and down between the teams (senior, reserves and youth) and shows how respected the manager is.

- On Scout there is a blacklist for player you don't wanna the scouters follow and they just back to do it when you take the player off the list.

- On Scout, on "Assignments -> Assignments" tab you see with more details what each scouter is doing and what matches they are.

- On "Transfers and Contracts" suggest players to be sent to the affiliated clubs

- A annoying thing is when I go to "Transfers" is always shown the players/staffs on "out" tab and not "All" one.

- On the Player Instructions, in Briefing, could be interesting any request make the opposite what the role suggests, For example, if a wingback is like "WB - Attack" could have a request to he doesn't run often with the ball.

- I don't like the interface for Matchday. I liked the intro, the team lineups but taking off the menu tabs on the top, tabs which were on my face, and joining all them in a button to be active to see those menus is unnecessary. And I am angry it doesn't have the Radar widget. I used it when I played with Director Cam or TV Cam, observing the teams formations/moviments. Now I have to use the Data Analyst Cam, that way losing the action by close. I don't like much the info appearing on the top of the screen. Also was retired some Cams of the game. A pity.

- I dunno if the specs to play got high but I think I could play it easily like FM 17 but playing with maximum graphics this game is lagging. It remembers on FM 17 beta happened the same thing and FM 17/18 giving me one star for graphic but in FM 17 full version was 4,5 of 5 stars.

- On halftime is shown the worst/best players of the both teams and a analysis from pros/cons for both teams during the match

- There are four positions to create set pieces (FK): Direct and Indirect (Central, Wide and Deep)

- On Briefing note you can move the players and on that screen is shown the strongest/weakest areas of your tactic.

- I think the way to do "Shout" with the player longer because the same reason I didn't like the new Match interface with less info on the screen. Many clicks for things which were accessible on your face. And there are not "Tons".

- Before was possible to select more than one player to apply the Opposite Player Instrutions. Now is for each one. Regression.

==================

• Administrators
1 minute ago, ChelseaFan said:

The sound cutting out when waiting for a highlight is really annoying.

Sound in general seems off. Crowd noise etc 

Yeah we're aware of the cutting out and stopping between highlights. If you feel there are other issues do take the time to raise them on the match engine bugs forum here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/566-match-engine/

Thanks. 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, luka_ said:

And you don't? Have you seen what it looks like??

Btw I only have 2D classic option, is there just 2D option like in FM17?

No, the only 2D option now is 2D classic. 

4 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

No, the only 2D option now is 2D classic. 

Which is fine, but in FM17 classic view also had the stands around the pitch and it looked nice. This on the other hand, just looks ugly. Is there any chance for a change in a full release, make it look like it was?

Will take some time to get used to and only the beta so still time for tweaking and I cant make up my mind whether I like it yet but will give it time and the more I play the better it should get.

Struggling with scouting as cant see where I individually send my scouts out to various parts of the world.

I have seen some cracking goals scored, saves made and also a great interception by my centre back but he slid it straight to their striker who tapped it in.

Lots of serious injuries but I reported it and its just unlucky but when you lose Mane, Couthino, Henderson, Can and Firmino after two friendlies for two months plus it makes life diffilcult and Lovren is upset because I am trying to sell him so I had 15 players all upset with me but I spoke to them and they calmed down and got on with it.

Onwards and upwards

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, luka_ said:

Which is fine, but in FM17 classic view also had the stands around the pitch and it looked nice. This on the other hand, just looks ugly. Is there any chance for a change in a full release, make it look like it was?

As said if there are specific things you think are wrong with it, please raise them in the match engine forum. Raising them here in the feedback thread won't get them addressed I'm afraid. 

4 minutes ago, badger100 said:

Will take some time to get used to and only the beta so still time for tweaking and I cant make up my mind whether I like it yet but will give it time and the more I play the better it should get.

Struggling with scouting as cant see where I individually send my scouts out to various parts of the world.

I have seen some cracking goals scored, saves made and also a great interception by my centre back but he slid it straight to their striker who tapped it in.

Lots of serious injuries but I reported it and its just unlucky but when you lose Mane, Couthino, Henderson, Can and Firmino after two friendlies for two months plus it makes life diffilcult and Lovren is upset because I am trying to sell him so I had 15 players all upset with me but I spoke to them and they calmed down and got on with it.

Onwards and upwards

When you create an assignment down the bottom of the dialogue box there is an option which defaults to scouting pool that you can change to the scout you want to use. 

I love the new risk assessment thing in the medical section, but I would have liked to have some sort of marker linking this in the tactics screen. For example, I'm still in pre-season, and I've got around six players at high risk due to match fatigue. When I'm picking the team on the tactics screen, there's no reference to this (that I can see) other than the usual condition/sharpness indicator. Would be good if there was some sort of icon or graphic linking the two to make it easier to try and avoid injuries. 

3 minutes ago, badger100 said:

First you need to make sure you are responsible for setting assignments (by default it might not be you):

Staff - Responsibilities - Scouting, then select yourself for setting scouting assignments.

Once you've done that,

Scouting - Assignments - Create new assignment