Football Manager 2017 Features Video

Positives:

- 3D during matches looks better

- ability to delay taking-over teams until the end of the season

- transfer negotiations and clauses.

- Social Media

Negatives:

- No Big Training revamp, which always suggested ( Big Big disappointment )

I see SI directors keep saying to some suggestions, this isn't part of manager job in real life, and that isn't realistic etc.. yet they keep ignoring (Training) from development.. It's VERY basic even though it's one of the main jobs for the manager, rather than dealing with media and financial stuffs.

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pre-ordered.  Roll on beta.

Provided the AI and crossing issues have been worked on, think this will be a great version - it looks great on the video and I'm sure there's loads of fun stuff to be discovered.

Can someone explain though why Everton and Watford have been licensed but no other Premiership teams? Not quite understanding that.

It'll be legal, 

2 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Just pre-ordered.  Roll on beta.

Provided the AI and crossing issues have been worked on, think this will be a great version - it looks great on the video and I'm sure there's loads of fun stuff to be discovered.

Can someone explain though why Everton and Watford have been licensed but no other Premiership teams? Not quite understanding that.

It'll be legal consdierations, more than two would require a collective agreement from all parties & that license is held by EA.

25 minutes ago, Spurs_Q8 said:

Positives:

- 3D during matches looks better

- ability to delay taking-over teams until the end of the season

- transfer negotiations and clauses.

- Social Media

Negatives:

- No Big Training revamp, which always suggested ( Big Big disappointment )

I see SI directors keep saying to some suggestions, this isn't part of manager job in real life, and that isn't realistic etc.. yet they keep ignoring (Training) from development.. It's VERY basic even though it's one of the main jobs for the manager, rather than dealing with media and financial stuffs.

Training was revamped last year

3 minutes ago, Welshace said:

They changed the way training works in recent editions.. what do you feel needs changing exactly?

I dont think training needs changed tbh.

obviously it is not reflective of real life training, as in I cant ask my back 4 to do a routine where the press as a unit, drop back as a unit or have my cb block space that will force the striker towards his cb partner as an example. This level of in depth training is something I wouldnt expect in any form in a simulation.

Training as it is in game is perfect, these are the attributes I want you to work on, go do it is probably the best solution to training in this form of game.

5 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Training is talked about in the FAQs video.

Do you mean last night's Q&A video? Can you indicate at what point? Watching the full fifty minutes of a couple of guys talking to each other is just too much for me.

• Administrators

If someone has a good idea for training please raise it in our features forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

The reason training hasn't been overhauled or massively improved (that's not to say there aren't aspects touching in training in 17 mind), is simply put we haven't been able to agree on a better idea/design to change it to. 

9 minutes ago, eriktous said:

Do you mean last night's Q&A video? Can you indicate at what point? Watching the full fifty minutes of a couple of guys talking to each other is just too much for me.

About half way through. 

In a nutshell miles said training was realistic a few years ago, they did a whole thing with Houghton and made it based on his input on how training went. However no one used it so it's pointless to keep a feature that isn't used so they went back to a less realistic representation you see now.

21 minutes ago, eriktous said:

Yeh Q&A video :).  It's around 13 mins in.

Disappointed there is no news if brazilian players can buy the game or not.

I really like the social media, but from the video i can see a lot of the press conferences questions remains the same, but at least there are some new ones.

Some improvements said by miles are already in FM16, and most we saw is pretty much interface revamps. Most of the ones mentioned on transfer deadline day (around 9:23) are already in fm16.

64 bit news is really good.

Manager creation seems to have more faces, but there is something really wrong with the arms, its like they are too long. Also i hope we see more of the manager this time than just the face or him in the menu, after all we created him so we should be able to see him in ME closer. Why just one camera for a new version? Why not a manager camera? Would make creating the manager more interesting.

Mixed feelings on the regen faces, they look realistic and have more space for the neck (so people can make shirt facepacks), but their forehead is too big, making some hairs be placed to tall and regens have monster foreheads. The agent in 8:28 is a good example of this.

I saw that players/coaches can pay for coaching themselves, but can we do it too? Its silly having to ask the board for the money when we earn 10x the cost of the coaching training each week.

Do all cameras have an option to auto rotate when the ball is near or just the new camera?

I like the updated skin, the careful use of dark green is pretty easy on the eyes and pleasing to look at.

10 minutes ago, Welshace said:

They changed the way training works in recent editions.. what do you feel needs changing exactly?

They changed it's but still not convincing.. I've some ideas about training over the years (of course the ideas needs to be developed further) but the main issue it's very basics.. it's NOT simple as ( less match training - match training/match-preparation) Or ( Defending - Attacking - Ball Control - Team Cohesion ) ..

I'm not asking for details like warming up or stretches, but you need to pick drills (detailed schedules) .. the championship manager drills around 2000-2004 years, or even Fifa 17 drills provide more fun & real life things. You should be able to manage the training if players divided into groups ( small sides - free-kicks - shooting - long passes - possessions -  tacking 1v1 - defending 2v2 - sprints - dribbles - heading - weak-foot - movement - crossing etc.. ) .. or whole team training: for Team Cohesion, tactics, fitness, match tactics, def. set-pieces, you should have training match which you can watch as well (vs Assistant)

we also need (Training attributes) where we can see rates if a player about to loss rate or about to improve, for example a player with stamina 9 - tackles 11.. when u put him on small sides games, it's force him to defend a lot, improve his team-work & little bit his stamina. so he wons 0.02 for Tackling, 0.03 stamina, 0.02 team-work. You must work with each player on daily basis, picking the same drill 3 days on row might reduce effect (as the player might be boring - depends on his character too ) .. when you promote youth player to train with first team, it's grows his morale etc..

The are things which you can improve on training like decisions, first touch, positioning, team-work .. football sciences is bigger than that in real life. Even determination? you might be able to send the player to mental schedules to improve his determination & bravery. But it's costs you some on field training.

Will there be any release of updated competition info?

I know its probably something to assume that's included, but I'm talking about the new format for the Libertadores/Sudamericana?

Also the Argentine system, I hope that's sorted as last year it didn't change to the zone format (which seems to have been abandoned).

24 minutes ago, Spurs_Q8 said:

I'm not asking for details like warming up or stretches, but you need to pick drills (detailed schedules) .. the championship manager drills around 2000-2004 years, or even Fifa 17 drills provide more fun & real life things.

Those were absolutely terrible IMO. I'd rather have them as simplified as they are now, than that type of thing. Back then I'd just download some random scheme that made zero sense and exploited the game, and would leave it. It was boring, gave you no feedback, and added very little to the game other than realism for the sake of realism. And even then I'm not sure it was all that realistic, real life training is far more complex than a grid of "piggy in the middle" on wednesday afternoon, "defensive setpieces" on thursday morning.

Yes training is a key part of what a real life manager does, but it's something that doesn't translate well to a game at all in my opinion. At a point in the CM/FM series we had a training revamp every 2 years, and none were ever satisfying.

51 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

If someone has a good idea for training please raise it in our features forum - https://community.sigames.com/forum/353-football-manager-feature-requests/

The reason training hasn't been overhauled or massively improved (that's not to say there aren't aspects touching in training in 17 mind), is simply put we haven't been able to agree on a better idea/design to change it to. 

How refreshing, Neil. A nice honest reply with no frills. I suspect much of what ends up in the game is a result of compromise. Do you SI chaps get as heated discussing changes as some people on this forum?:mad: Or are you all very measured?

6 minutes ago, Ropotas said:

Beta last year released 17 or 18 days before oficial game so my guess for beta is 18 or 19...

It will be released when ready but hopefully sooner rather than later as it gives more time to identify potential BUGS in the game which hopefully may result in some being ironed out before full release.

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Hilly27 said:

How refreshing, Neil. A nice honest reply with no frills. I suspect much of what ends up in the game is a result of compromise. Do you SI chaps get as heated discussing changes as some people on this forum?:mad: Or are you all very measured?

Ha, like you wouldn't believe! Our features meetings have red and yellow cards for various things. :D 

Always a very proud moment when a feature you had a lot of involvement in goes into the game. I've also logged countless ones from the forums which have gone in, wish it was easy enough to thank everyone who ever has logged an issue that has been in FM, but it's not always as simple as that. Quite often one idea evolves so much from the original suggestion there's only a very loose trail back to it. Also some ideas gets suggested by so many different sources if we thanked one person, someone else somewhere would feel aggrieved we didn't credit them.

And as with everything on these forums, if you post solid constructive feedback, raise issues in the bugs forums or even make great feature suggestion we do take note. Most of our external closed beta team are made up of users who have done exactly that in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Ha, like you wouldn't believe! Our features meetings have red and yellow cards for various things. :D 

Always a very proud moment when a feature you had a lot of involvement in goes into the game. I've also logged countless ones from the forums which have gone in, wish it was easy enough to thank everyone who ever has logged an issue that has been in FM, but it's not always as simple as that. Quite often one idea evolves so much from the original suggestion there's only a very loose trail back to it. Also some ideas gets suggested by so many different sources if we thanked one person, someone else somewhere would feel aggrieved we didn't credit them.

And as with everything on these forums, if you post solid constructive feedback, raise issues in the bugs forums or even make great feature suggestion we do take note. Most of our external closed beta team are made up of users who have done exactly that in the past. 

I've played a lot of such games, from different games, even thought i liked some features from other games, but Football manager is the best, we appreciate SI team work for it over the years, and the game still here for a reason. It's always worth to get the new version. And This is the most exciting game for me. 

The only features (announced, at least) that are interesting for me are;

1) 64bit - finally. Hopefully, if optimized and implemented properly, the game will fully utilize all available RAM. More and more leagues. 

2) MLS AI - in previous versions, MLS has been absolutely terrible with regards to AI team-building and transfers. Ex. You would see first team players released when contracts expired from nearly every team in the league. Simply put, in less than 2 seasons, you could dominate the MLS without any challenge whatsoever.

3) Negotiate Affiliate club Relations - superb addition in my books. Might be overlooked by many but it will add a lot of depth to that side of the game. Hopefully you can make a non-financial link a financial one, but that's wishful thinking.

4) Join new club at end of season - been wanting this for a solid 10 years. Massive feature addition. I've always hated leaving current club in the middle of a good season when winning the league/cup/etc is a real possibility. 

And while it's aesthetic, the teams lining up in 3D is great. Adds to the immersion. Wouldn't exactly call it a feature but that's me. ;) 

Still, having only recently made the jump from FM 12 directly to FM 16, I will take my time.

I'm very happy with 64bit now being supported, worth buying 17 just for that!

Other than that there is no new big features this year but thats fine in my book providing that existing features have been made better or made to work better and the game pretty much works coming out the box which it does 90% of the time.

Appreciate it does take time to code and make the big features work properly, hopefully we get something big next year. 

We should be happy that the devs on this forum actually take time to read through the players thoughts on the game because its becoming a rarer thing in the industry. 

Since I didn't get an answer in the topic pre-video, and that the said video don't give me an answer, I'll ask again here (hopefully, in the right topic, if not Mods feel free to tell me !):

I want to pre-order a boxed version (for multiple reasons) and my local seller advertise two versions, a "Football Manager 2017" at 44,99€ and a "Football manager 2017 Special Edition" at 54,99. Since it was not advertised in the vid, I suppose the second don't exist, but then again I can't remember for the life of me if the "Special edition" last year with the documentary was advertised either. Anyway, I'm planning to ask the seller directly, just in case they confused FM Touch for the "full" game or something, but would someone from SI be awfully nice to me and confirm there is no "special edition", so that I can pre-order the one version of the game I want and not another one ?

Apart from that, I'll join some of my colleagues who said it better than I can: some (if not most) of the new features I'll not use, but they are still interesting ones that were "needed" for the sake of realism, and I love some others so I'm sure I'll enjoy it nonetheless. I'm a tiny bit disappointed there isn't the possibility for me (or the press guy) to say that after the match, the captain and the rookie who scored his first goal ever will join me in the press conference, but hey, like the Stones said, you can't always get what you want.

Found this:

Football Manager 2017 Special Edition includes Football Manager Touch 2017 for free (on PC, Mac or Linux) and, as a further thank you for your purchase, you'll also get a range of free downloadable content for Touch including "Board override", "No firing", "All job applications", "National management" and 3 brand new challenges to play in the "Challenge" game mode.

Take control of your favourite football team in Football Manager 2017, the most realistic and immersive football management game to date. It’s the closest thing to doing the job for real!

With over 2,500 real clubs to manage and over 500,000 real footballers and staff to sign, Football Manager 2017 elevates you into a living, breathing world of football management with you at the centre. 

You’ll have full control of transfers and decide who plays, and who sits on the bench. You're in complete control of tactics, team-talks and pitch-side instructions, and you’ll follow the match live with our acclaimed 3D match engine. You’ll also deal with real football media, solve player-happiness problems and the board will watch your every move.

Fans who pre-purchase or pre-order Football Manager 2017 will be rewarded with Football Manager Touch 2017 for free (on PC, Mac or Linux) and, as a further thank you for your purchase, you’ll also get a range of free downloadable content for Touch including “Board override”, “No firing”, “All job applications”, “National management” and 3 brand new challenges to play in the “Challenge” game mode. Touch is the more streamlined, ‘transfers and tactics’ way to manage and can be purchased separately as a standalone game.

3 hours ago, Welshace said:

I would like to see training better connected with tactics. For example, if I play a possession tactic, I would like to train and develop my players to play in that style. And that means from First Team players to 15-16 year old youth players. So I can better develop my DNA style into a club, sort of like what Barcelona and Ajax have been doing for years.

Therefore I would like to see a training module that focus on specific attributes towards a style of play. Like we can focus on Attacking attributes, Fitness attributes, Defensive attributes, etc. We can have focus on Possession attributes (first touch, passing, technique, anticipation, composure, decisions, off the ball, teamwork, vision) or Direct style attributes (dribbling, aggressiveness, bravery, decisions, off the ball, work rate, acceleration, pace, stamina). It would be also nice if we could customize our own focus training with a few attributes based on our liking from each of the 3 categories. 

Coaches should have an indication what style they are more suitable of coaching, like what personality they have and formations they favor. I would like to see tactics and familiarity improve though training also.

Could not resist after watching video, pre-purchased...with 6hours 30mins left on my steam offer. Got 15% discount and happy with that. Looking forward to 64bit and all those other detailed changes. Love the look of the revamped media side and those other changes are inviting from my perspective.

1 hour ago, bestbrother said:

In simple terms, what will this 64 bit lark give me then? More speed during processing?

I normally crack a season out in 8 hours, give or take. So if I can shave a couple off that, id be impressed.

Yes its faster... or else it wouldnt be introduced. Some simple googling will do on this matter. Maybe a mod can put it in the OP ? Seems like lot of people dont know what 64 bit does. 

As someone who hasnt been very impressed (at all) with the last couple of games, this does look to be an improvement.

Hopefully a lot of the new features are fully fleshed out and not just bolted on token gestures.

A real shame that training hasnt been revamped, so many great suggestions going back years in the wish list thread.

Please tell me this year I can tell my DoF/Chief executive which players I want them to negotiate new contracts with, rather than them choosing for me or having to do it myself.

Still not preordering after the last couple of years but am certainly more interested now.

- Training is the most streamlines part of FM - especially when it is compared the detail level of transfer, contracts, tactics, etc. But the question is that what would be better in terms of functionality & keeping the level of entertainment. Not an easy decision as SI have tried different ways for years, this one is handy & easily understandable. Between not all the features are announced yet.

?: Do scouts propose a highlight package that contains all goals, assists, key passes, etc that the scouted player succeeded during the scouting duration? Or are highlights specific to the reported match?

3 minutes ago, Lord Rowell said:

Quick question. Having pre-ordered, will the editor be available with the Beta release? Or only at full release?

Thanks in advance.

LR

Take a look to that mate:

4 hours ago, Ropotas said:

Beta last year released 17 or 18 days before oficial game so my guess for beta is 18 or 19...

Well as the discount offer runs out tonight, i half expected the announcement that Beta would start this evening.....que the rush of people buying the game :)

So for what its worth ill give my views on the features - 

• Surprisingly liked the option to put your own face onto the avatar. Was never one for uploading an image of me but i really like this option, looks good!!
  • As with every one else i LOVE the fact this will be 64bit. Wasnt expecting it but was hoping for it so really pleased with that.
  • Like the look of the default skin, seem to be of a minority to actually like the green elements to it, looks good!
  • Like the added options and improvement on contracts
  • The extra staff seems a good option to, anything to add more realism to the game!!

But must say i have a few gripes of course. The fact it appears to have had either minimal or no improvement on the youth side of things is disappointing. As is again not having Youth academies in game properly utilized by clubs! But i was hoping SI could find a way round the legal issues and include younger youth teams, perhaps with regens in them instead of the real players. The thought of bringing a player through all the way from say 6/7 to the first team would be brilliant!!

It looks to me that once again a lot of effort and time has gone into the 3D elements and that side of things is a shame. For  me anyway, i appreciate a lot of people love that part of the game. Also im really not keen on the social media add ons, looks like it could be very tedious after a while but i again appreciate that it is at least another aspect of realism that has been added in. International football appears to have been left out of any sort of improvement, something that has been crying out for it for years!!

Ill await the chance to play before judging further as that is only fair, cant fully judge something on a 30 minute video and without playing.

Archived