Football Manager 2017 Features Video

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So no changes to tactics, team instructions, player roles, player instructions and training ? That's really underwhelming. Also i didn't see anything on player interactions, and the first news were about a player complaining about first-team action :))) sparks memories. Also no changes were mentioned about the youth aspect of the game ...

Very happy about 64bit change :)

41 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

I'd agree that we perhaps need a bit more clarify and feedback in regards to how tactics work in the game, but don't really think there's much need for further roles - I'd certainly struggle to think of a widespread role which isn't in the game, not to mention those that are can generally be tweaked in such a way via the player instructions to make them different.

Is there a Central Winger role at the moment in the game?

I really want to see the team redo the Closing Down because it does not make sense to real world tactics. It should be renamed to pressing and reformed to indicate defensive, offensive or ultra-offensive pressing, as that represents a team strategy better. The closing down is more a individual action. 

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

- No mention of major strategies across the game IRL (and the implementation of them in FM), or even any mention of how AI managers will approach the game from a strategic sense. All we got was "the AI will choose roles more effectively."  Well what does that really mean? What is the "correct" way to choose roles and duties?  Because just choosing roles that fit the player you have doesn't make a great strategy.  

- Will AI managers still have entirely random levels of performance? In FM16 you'd see Lazio's manager take his team to the CL final and then you'd see Guardiola fail to win the Bundesliga with Bayern.  I'm not entirely unhappy about that randomness, but at least keep it within some range of possibility.  It's very strange to see managers coming and going as randomly as they have been in previous versions. 

I'm surprised you didn't spot it, being that invested in the tactical aspects of the game. But in parts the random performance of said teams is precisely because of some role/duty picks of some managers in parts. Take the frequent isolating of attacking players making them easy to crowd out/dispossess or force to take pot shots, which has been in there for years and makes teams right at the top easier to defend and worsen their conversion rates, which would affect certain managers moreso than others, as certain possible AI formations are more affected, others not at all (pretty much impossible to isolate attacking players in a top heavy 4-2-3-1 Denmark as per FM that's 4 players pushing up by default, a 4-1-4-1 is another story completely). The unrealistically prolonged periods of time, oft entire matches, AI managers on their most defensive had tons of defend duty guys in there, which might make them some solid at the back and frustrating to break down as as 8 players just always sitting behind the ball is 8 players sitting behind the ball, but making them toothless also and incapable of ever much keeping the ball in the opposition's half lending itself to completely one-sided matches (seemed to be tweaked for 2016 already).

How about the inability of an AI manager to at all spot to where he's getting thouroughly exploited, for instance Guardiola punished for his very aggressive lines by attackers of calibre and pace in particular. The occasionally gibberish outright formational changes at HT leading to end to end stuff when an AI had pretty much already "bagged" the game which might be connected to research too as they set up favorite attacking and defending formations. Or the still occasionally weird picks out in Europe or two legged Cup ties, where after big wins an AI manager suddenly lets itself get steamrolled in the return and just drops back, so that you can be "all over" Barcelona's starting eleven with weaker sides, and some more.

Whether those overhauls are successful I'm going to directly gauge from the Beta feedback threads, because some added user frustration might actually be a good sign. :-) Overall, looking pretty promising, very very decent presentation overall as well. Naturally, the added info/analysis on team strength and weaknesses is only half the deal if AI managers won't be able to put it to use it some proper as well. :-)

Just now, Powermonger said:

Is there a Central Winger role at the moment in the game?

I really want to see the team redo the Closing Down because it does not make sense to real world tactics. It should be renamed to pressing and reformed to indicate defensive, offensive or ultra-offensive pressing, as that represents a team strategy better. The closing down is more a individual action. 

Play a CM(A) with the right PPMS, dribble more, run wide and voila, theres your central winger. Worked for me at least. 

5 minutes ago, tyler16 said:

Honestly, why is everything green? The UI may be more functional than ever but I can't be alone in thinking it used to be waaay more pleasing to look at. Custom skins help but a lot of things will be hard coded, I'm afraid.

This is not soylent green, the colors of a skin are not hard-coded.

54 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

All I know is @Barside is going to be a busy boy for the FM17 benchmarks thread :D

Starting a new contract project next week & it's likely to come with a very intensive workload so my time here will be very limited as will my FM playing time. :(

1 minute ago, Double0Seven said:

Play a CM(A) with the right PPMS, dribble more, run wide and voila, theres your central winger. Worked for me at least. 

That's a decent idea but I'd be happier with a simpler solution than introducing a new Central Winger role - we already have "Sit Narrower" for wide players, why not "Drift Out To Wings" for central players? Notice this wouldn't be the same as "Run Wide With Ball" because that's for dribbling with the ball, same as "Cuts Inside" for wide players; "Drift Out to Wings" would be for off-the-ball movement for creating wide overloads.

I need to start spamming the Feature Requests forum with all the things I want. :D

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

That's a decent idea but I'd be happier with a simpler solution than introducing a new Central Winger role - we already have "Sit Narrower" for wide players, why not "Drift Out To Wings" for central players? Notice this wouldn't be the same as "Run Wide With Ball" because that's for dribbling with the ball, same as "Cuts Inside" for wide players; "Drift Out to Wings" would be for off-the-ball movement for creating wide overloads.

I need to start spamming the Feature Requests forum with all the things I want. :D

Move into channels?

Did you notice in the video, how many times Miles used words like "huge changes", "massive changes", "big changes" and "major changes", over and over again?  Sorry SI, i'm not impressed. It looks almost the same as FM16.  Thats just MY opinion. I'm NOT going to pre-order, sorry. 

why not "Drift Out To Wings" for central players? Notice this wouldn't be the same as "Run Wide With Ball" because that's for dribbling with the ball, same as "Cuts Inside" for wide players; "Drift Out to Wings" would be for off-the-ball movement for creating wide overloads.

Doesn't seem wildly different to Move Into Channels to me? Can already apply that to central Roles and that's why there's no need for additional Roles to create the so-called Central Winger. All we'd end up with is a bunch of superfluous Roles that can be achieved through application to PIs onto existing Roles.

2 minutes ago, pukfm said:

Sorry SI, i'm not impressed. It looks almost the same as FM16.  Thats just MY opinion. I'm NOT going to pre-order, sorry. 

1 minute ago, extremeskins04 said:

PREORDERED!  Looks brilliant!

And there you have it. 

8 minutes ago, CaptainSa said:

Move into channels?

6 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

Doesn't seem wildly different to Move Into Channels to me? Can already apply that to central Roles and that's why there's no need for additional Roles to create the so-called Central Winger. All we'd end up with is a bunch of superfluous Roles that can be achieved through application to PIs onto existing Roles.

Move Into Channels in theory as I understand it, is for moving into the space between the opposition centre-backs and full-backs, ie, the half-spaces; Drift Out To Wings would be a more extreme idea to move further wide, effectively the winger space.

It could also be done so that a AMC for example would have this option, but a AMCL or a AMCR could only have "Drift Out to Left/Right Wing".

Basically I just want a tiny bit more flexibility to allow players to effectively occupy a different position in-possession from their positions out of possession. Move Into Channels isn't really about occupying a different position, it's just to move slightly more into a slightly different, still central-ish space.

We're now wildly off-topic. :D

4 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

People need to be encouraged to train PPM's to get the finer details of a tactic just how they want it, for me it's a better reflection of how managers/coaches develop a team over a season or more.

Just now, Barside said:

People need to be encouraged to train PPM's to get the finer details of a tactic just how they want it, for me it's a better reflection of how managers/coaches develop a team over a season or more.

I don't agree at all, PPMs are permanent traits, which makes it impossible to turn on and off and might stick to a player's full career. I want the ability to tell a player to do something, try it out in the pitch, and turn it off if I don't like it; not to wait 6 months for my instruction to grow into a permanent natural trait for the player.

2 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Gotta agree with the guy though. Theres no 'major changes' for some people like me. Only major change is 64 bit. But to speak about changes in multiple just doesnt apply to everyone(also me). 

Personally I am more than happy with what I saw. 64 bit is awesome. I hope the crossing issue has also been sorted out.

What changes did you want to see yourself?

I just watched the video in full, i didn't skip around like i'm sure alot did.

Biggest changes for me were:

• Animations
  • AI on the pitch including how players react to certain situations
  • Social Media aspect intertwining with Interviews.  Makes it more immersive
  • Transfers
  • Improved player personalities and player progression/regression
  • Created players
  • Board interaction and logic

How people can say there aren't any improvements is kinda ridiculous, but it's your opinion. 

I think because people really wanted a particular change, but didn't get what they wanted, it's easy to come out and say "nothing was changed".

I don't agree at all, PPMs are permanent traits, which makes it impossible to turn on and off and might stick to a player's full career. I want the ability to tell a player to do something, try it out in the pitch, and turn it off if I don't like it; not to wait 6 months for my instruction to grow into a permanent natural trait for the player.

We'll agree to disagree for now & maybe pick up the thought in another thread sometime.

I agree, I don't think it's flexible to create a role using permanent trait to a player, these should be used more as tweaks then the way to create a role in a tactic that will need players replaced over time.

So yeah, some of the other things I like...

The quick start option - looked very quick to set up a new game.  

Data Analyst - Excellent addition, I loved the prozone stuff last year, this brings it more into focus. The changes to prozone itself look good, particularly the side by side heat maps, nice one. 

Very gimmicky, but your created manager being on the title screen is a nice wee touch.

New backroom advice tab at the top of the screen looks a great addition, so long as the advice is sensible. On that topic, although not mentioned, it would be good if in-game assistant manager advice has been revamped. 

The new look team report and squad depth screens are a fantastic improvement. This was an area that has needed work for years. The statistical data on the team report screen on where things are going well and need improving looks very streamlined. 

6 minutes ago, extremeskins04 said:

I just watched the video in full, i didn't skip around like i'm sure alot did.

Biggest changes for me were:

• Animations
  • AI on the pitch including how players react to certain situations
  • Social Media aspect intertwining with Interviews.  Makes it more immersive
  • Transfers
  • Improved player personalities and player progression/regression
  • Created players
  • Board interaction and logic

How people can say there aren't any improvements is kinda ridiculous, but it's your opinion. 

I think because people really wanted a particular change, but didn't get what they wanted, it's easy to come out and say "nothing was changed".

Except for two, SI claims every year that these departments are improved.

6 minutes ago, Powermonger said:

I agree, I don't think it's flexible to create a role using permanent trait to a player, these should be used more as tweaks then the way to create a role in a tactic that will need players replaced over time.

The thing is, they aren't actually permanent traits. They are preferences that won't always be enacted. If I shrink the whole debate down to "Do we need a "new" Central Winger Role?" my feeling is still "No". After all, the guys whose posts in the community focussed on this Role (Guido and Jonathan Aspey IIRC) both achieved the "Role" by just modifying a CM (A), so by definition it is already achievable within the framework of the tactics creator. 

I like the improved odds system for betting. It's something I've mentioned for a good few years now and how unrealistic the odds were, more so for seasonal betting. I still don't think it's perfect but you no longer have 3-5 teams all with extremely short odds of winning a competition so this is a good start.

Pre-contract conversations: I envisage a lot of problems, especially early on before we get the hang of it, for managers with the new contracts, with all these promises that may have to be made with the agent before negotiations begin with a player. In the video, starting at 8min in, you see some of the examples of promises that are needed before a player signs a contract.
The examples given are:
big pay rise, will play player in preferred position and role, will promise to strengthen certain area(s) of the squad and improve coaching team.

From the dropdown menu they show, there are others such as:
Will make player captain/vice captain (we have that now in discussions with player)
Will assign player as set piece taker
Will allow player to treat club as stepping stone
Will improve training facilities
Some long term aims (undefined)

I appreciate that these conversations will probably only be needed for players that are currently much better than the rest of your squad but, especially with newly promoted sides, this could amount to quite a few players and trying to satisfy them all could be a nightmare.
Especially with things that aren't really our decision to make, such as the improvement of facilities.

So I think we'll have to tread very carefully there and not be promising too many things to too many players that we simply cannot keep.

4 minutes ago, RTHerringbone said:

The thing is, they aren't actually permanent traits. They are preferences that won't always be enacted. If I shrink the whole debate down to "Do we need a "new" Central Winger Role?" my feeling is still "No". After all, the guys whose posts in the community focussed on this Role (Guido and Jonathan Aspey IIRC) both achieved the "Role" by just modifying a CM (A), so by definition it is already achievable within the framework of the tactics creator. 

Can 100% agree with this. Play a 4-3-3 setup with a CM(A) in the right PPMs/atrributes/PIs and make sure theres space for him to move wide(I played a IF(A) wide that would move inside and a full back that wouldnt push that far most of the times), and you have a excellent reproduction of the Central winger a la di maria at madrid role. 

2 hours ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Those with quad cores, i7 etc and 8gb of RAM upwards should notice a stark difference then

I only have a 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 processor with Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB but an upgraded 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 memory... do you think I could manage with 64 bit?

18 minutes ago, Stewart91 said:

I hope the crossing issue has also been sorted out.

From 3:30 to 4min, talks about AI improvement, especially defensively. "Players position themselves better, especially when dealing with crosses and corners, and they'll react better to loose balls. GKs also make better judgements about whether to come for the ball or stay on their line."

2 minutes ago, Double0Seven said:

Can 100% agree with this. Play a 4-3-3 setup with a CM(A) in the right PPMs/atrributes/PIs and make sure theres space for him to move wide(I played a IF(A) wide that would move inside and a full back that wouldnt push that far most of the times), and you have a excellent reproduction of the Central winger a la di maria at madrid role. 

Di Maria at Madrid is the roaming playmaker role

Kind of makes sense that there are no new rules. I hoped for new ones but now that i think of it i struggle to think of anything. I would like a more Hummels-like CB-role. Even hummels himself, with PI's, doesn't play like the real Hummels did, especially under Tuchel last year. I guess you could call that role a "Roaming Centerback", Centrebacks who move up from deep with the ball to surprise the oppositions defense/utilize create space, which is a high risk of course.

35 minutes ago, pukfm said:

Did you notice in the video, how many times Miles used words like "huge changes", "massive changes", "big changes" and "major changes", over and over again?  Sorry SI, i'm not impressed. It looks almost the same as FM16.  Thats just MY opinion. I'm NOT going to pre-order, sorry. 

I was playing FM16 before watching the vid and the first thing I noticed was how much the 3d had improved, it looked significantly better.

5 minutes ago, Nikopol said:

Di Maria at Madrid is the roaming playmaker role

Kind of makes sense that there are no new rules. I hoped for new ones but now that i think of it i struggle to think of anything. I would like a more Hummels-like CB-role. Even hummels himself, with PI's, doesn't play like the real Hummels did, especially under Tuchel last year. I guess you could call that role a "Roaming Centerback", Centrebacks who move up from deep with the ball to surprise the oppositions defense/utilize create space, which is a high risk of course.

That if anything, would be the Libero role that needs improving, rather than a new role. 

16 minutes ago, Earnie is God! said:

I like the improved odds system for betting. It's something I've mentioned for a good few years now and how unrealistic the odds were, more so for seasonal betting. I still don't think it's perfect but you no longer have 3-5 teams all with extremely short odds of winning a competition so this is a good start.

Its also important on the pitch with AI managers previous basing their tactics on the odds.

If these are changing more often the opposition will react to how well or badly you are doing in a much shorter space of time.  So instead of waiting until Xmas to tighten up if you start well teams will setup more defensively earlier than previously.  Likewise if you do badly AI teams will react to that by leaving you more space much earlier in the season.

4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

That if anything, would be the Libero role that needs improving, rather than a new role. 

Except Hummels holds the Center Back position in defensive shape and depending on the situation also in posession.

1 minute ago, Long Islander said:

So does FM2017 have licensing to the Premier League logos and faces? Or did Miles have a logo pack and face pack loaded?

I think there is a rule that other companies can license one or two clubs outside of the general license.

Archived