Next England manager?

RTG

Next England Manager  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Next England Manager

I'd like an English manager too. I think it kind of defeats the point of international football when you go foreign as it should be about testing your best. Whether that is players or managers.

Probably in the minority with that view. No idea who I'd actually pick as they're pretty much all terrible.

I tend to agree with you, but I'd only want to limit ourselves to English managers if it was actual FIFA rulings that said all countries must apply the same criteria to managers as they do to players.

While that isn't the case, we'd be crazy to pass up a better manager because he's foreign. I'd like the former, but while the rules allow it, I prefer success.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea Greg Dyke will have no say in new manager. Could be someone even worse making that choice /o\ I'd be open to someone like Mark Wurburton taking charge if they wanted to go down that sort of route.

What route would tat be? Lot's of possession with no plan B? Isn't that what we already have? :D

Klinsmann is not a good option, Jason is being sarcastic and he is not alone feeing the way he does about Klinsmann. Most people in the US aren't a fan of his and I really doubt Klinsmanns new age approach would work with the English players.

I wouldnt have Klinsmann for the fact he is German and we are huge football rivals. He'd intentionally sabotage us.

Is this 100% serious? Klinsmann wouldn't get the job because he's not very good, but that sort of attitude is what's going to hold back England. It should be about how good a person is for the job, regardless of what nationality they are. Saying he would intentionally sabotage you is patently ridiculous.

Plus there's the fact that England are Germany's "huge football rivals" much in the same way as Scotland are to England, in that it matters a hell of a lot more to one side. Germany don't really see it as a rivalry, and would much rather a dust-up with Italy or Holland than England.

On the wider subject, looking at the English names in play, it's pretty slim pickings. I really don't get the fetish British sides (Scotland are the same) have with making sure their manager is of the same nationality he's managing. It's incredibly closed-minded, and often detrimental. I mean, we could have had Lars Lagerback at one point, International Management Extraordinaire. We went for Craig Levein. Good one. What would people rather have? Tub-thumping down-the-boozer Englishness with limited managerial talent, or someone that just gets results? I know it's very limiting to say the latter, as there's no guarantee, but when you look at the list of English names, it's hardly encouraging.

Is this 100% serious? Klinsmann wouldn't get the job because he's not very good, but that sort of attitude is what's going to hold back England. It should be about how good a person is for the job, regardless of what nationality they are. Saying he would intentionally sabotage you is patently ridiculous.

Let's not be silly

There are certain people or nationalities that won't jobs with particular countries or clubs

The 'tub thumping Englander PASSION' type stuff is soooooo tiresome, no one thinks these things and it doesn't make you seem thoughtful when you bring it up. Oh ALL the English managers are the same and ALL the foreign ones are these tactical genius and they get results cliche sterotype cliche.

Let's not be silly

There are certain people or nationalities that won't jobs with particular countries or clubs

The 'tub thumping Englander PASSION' type stuff is soooooo tiresome, no one thinks these things and it doesn't make you seem thoughtful when you bring it up. Oh ALL the English managers are the same and ALL the foreign ones are these tactical genius and they get results cliche sterotype cliche.

I was reacting to the particularly ridiculous suggestion that a German would intentionally sabotage a job he was being paid for. Because it's ridiculous. I doubt anyone German would even want the England job, but if they did they'd probably treat it with professionalism. I struggle to see what's controversial about me saying that.

And "no-one" thinks the passion argument? Really? No-one sensible, of course, but the events of the past few days have shown that there's plenty of people less than sensible from a nationalistic stand-point, right? I also never said anything about all English managers being the same, or similar about foreign managers (for example, see Vogts, Berti). Not sure where you've gotten that from. Looking at the examples mentioned, it's hardly a stellar cast of upcoming managers, and I'd be amazed if there wasn't a foreign manager out there who could outperform.

In fact, from what you've quoted, I'm struggling to see what you're getting so furious about.

Well, yeah, no one is going to intentionally sabotage anything but Klinsmann would not be welcome and then add to the fact he's rubbish

Furious? What are you on? It's tiresome. The 'what would you rather have .. tub thumpers', etc is just laughable. These are our choices, are they? :D Ah, these managers that get results or a tub thumping English manager, add in something about down the boozer, yep, you nailed English football right there

It may well be a foreign manager when Hodgson leaves (notorious tub thumping little Englander Hogdson, that is) but our alternatives are not particularly good managers or not tested, not rah rah English managers that don't know nuthin', that is why we'll look elsewhere

There simply aren't opportunities for English managers at the very top level of the English game to get the neccessary CL and European experience either

I wouldnt have Klinsmann for the fact he is German and we are huge football rivals. He'd intentionally sabotage us.

We're not, this is entirely an English construct that the news media have created because they're obsessed with really old historic wars that happened long before any of us here or in the industry were even born. They drop slang that's literally over a century old like 'fritz' like it's still funny to an audience of 1980s babies.

It's like how some right-wing Americans bang on about the English and the revolution, and use limey as an insult (whatever it means), it's just weird to us, and I expect the Germans would feel the same way if they ever saw the papers.

Well, yeah, no one is going to intentionally sabotage anything but Klinsmann would not be welcome and then add to the fact he's rubbish

Furious? What are you on? It's tiresome. The 'what would you rather have .. tub thumpers', etc is just laughable. These are our choices, are they? :D Ah, these managers that get results or a tub thumping English manager, add in something about down the boozer, yep, you nailed English football right there

It may well be a foreign manager when Hodgson leaves (notorious tub thumping little Englander Hogdson, that is) but our alternatives are not particularly good managers or not tested, not rah rah English managers that don't know nuthin', that is why we'll look elsewhere

There simply aren't opportunities for English managers at the very top level of the English game to get the neccessary CL and European experience either

You've taken me taking issues with a ridiculous statement and started your diatribe around a throw-away comment bordering on hyperbole. Still, at least you're not bothered by it all.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about generalities, mostly coming from idiots. If Hodgson goes, most decent, normal-minded England fans will treat it with the sense it deserves. Of course there will then be the ones that shout louder talking about all the tiresome cliches. I completely agree with you on that, because it is tiresome. But to these people they probably want one-of-the-lads, top bantz etc. Personally I thought with Hodgson's previous good experience at International level, he'd be exactly the sort of man England needed. Hasn't really proved to be that. Of the English options given, Eddie Howe is probably one of the better ones. At its purest, I just think limiting yourself just to English (or Scottish, or Welsh, or whoever your country is) is severely limiting. Perfect example being Scotland going for Craig Levein over Lars Lagerback, and then Gordon Strachan over...Lars Lagerback. Who's to say that only considering English managers means that you won't miss out on the one that could turn a squad into something great? Someone English could do that too, but your chances are less.

Yeah it was more of a joke given everything that has been happening in the last few days.

Yeah, true. Only noticed the smiley on the end on quoting, as some of them don't display for me for some reason.

Sadly, your throwaway comment is used entirely seriously often enough that it's 'a thing'.

I don't think there is any great demand for the next manager to be English, our reluctance is that we kind of tried it and meh. What we really need to address is coaching in the country and things like that. We hear lip service but nothing ever changes

When we appointed Sven there really weren't any stand out English candidates, I think that is why we went overseas, it wasn't some great master plan just a realisation of 'let's get the best guy' and ... well, you know, could have been better. I had genuine hope that Capello could make a difference but he fell to pieces

We do have some candidates but none of them are super impressive so I expect an overseas manager may well be on the cards with the criteria of premier league experience to give him that homegrown feel

I don't think fans are even saying 'we need an English guy' atm, are they?

We all want the same thing, we want to win games but top name overseas manager hasn't been a magic shortcut for us in the past so I think you can understand some fans rolling their eyes. Do we want Pardew or Southgate or Gary Neville ... not really

I am sure this will pick up steam the closer we get to Hodgson leaving, whenever that is but it most certainly will not and should not be Klinsmann! :p Also, it's not a case of 'whoever the best man is' cause there will be guys that will just be a 'no' from fans and pointless appointing them

Pardew to England manager

Palace appoint Laurent Blanc (they're flexing their financial muscle a bit lately, it's not out of the question)

Blanc leads the new Palace team with players like Mandanda, Cabaye, Batshuayi and Benteke to Europa League

England continue as they always do: as required in qualis and then horrendously in the Finals.

Voted other, none of those are ready for England. Howe might be in the future but he needs to prove a success elsewhere than Bournemouth.

The problem is that we're just not a good footballing nation anymore, we're basically punching above our weight on the international stage at the moment and there's potentially only decent players coming through. To be honest I thinnk that on the international stage right now we might as just strip it back to the bare bones and build the team back up from scratch.

Perhaps have Howe work on the U21s and then after 2018 promote him. In the meantime let someone like Hoddle have it for a couple of years just to keep the public happy.

Does it really matter who takes over?

England have changed many managers and none was able to shake off the perennial underachiever vibe the NT has developed. It's not just a tactical problem, it's a general mental frailty that has become endemic.

I thought it could have been "gone" along with the failed Golden Generation, but it's still there, even worse if possible, as the current squad looked even softer and almost resigned to the inevitable early exit.

Does it really matter who takes over?

England have changed many managers and none was able to shake off the perennial underachiever vibe the NT has developed. It's not just a tactical problem, it's a general mental frailty that has become endemic.

I thought it could have been "gone" along with the failed Golden Generation, but it's still there, even worse if possible, as the current squad looked even softer and almost resigned to the inevitable early exit.

There does need to be either an acceptance that England aren't as good as they once were and to try to get the players playing without fear as a result, or someone coming in to get tough with them and make sure they're able to deal with the pressure that gets piled upon them. Ranieri would be fantastic for the former.

Archived