Cahill v James

jmr

Best goal?  

121 members have voted

1. 1. Best goal?

When it was Van Persie (Similar to Cahill's) vs Lowton (Similar to Rodriguez) Van Persie won goal of the season for it. I think its far more impressive to hit a ball flying over your shoulder first time with your weak foot than it is to chest it and then volley it despite that also being incredible technique.

When it was Van Persie (Similar to Cahill's) vs Lowton (Similar to Rodriguez) Van Persie won goal of the season for it. I think its far more impressive to hit a ball flying over your shoulder first time with your weak foot than it is to chest it and then volley it despite that also being incredible technique.

I'd echo this, I'd say it's probably 'easier', and I use the word lightly, to chest a ball into a volley than catch one perfectly over the shoulder on your weaker foot. The way Rodriguez controlled and turned in one movement was incredible, and both are unbelievable goals, but I would give it to Timmy C.

Cahill please. He had to measure the ball coming from an angle behind him and hammer it with his weaker foot. James' goal wouldve won a Goal of the Season/Tournament any other year/country simply because I couldnt pick one of the two. Both goals had me on excitement when they first went in, but Cahill just edges it for me.

I would hardly say it's some clearcut decision. At first I thought Cahill as didn't think Rodriguez's was 'in the corner' enough but having looked again it totally is, hitting the bar on the way in

Also, hitting the ball on the volley a la Cahill was fantastic but chesting control and hitting it is also a skill for people saying things like 'all he did was chest it ...'

James' goal is better imo.

For goal of the tournament I'd pick several others over Cahill's goal as well. I like a goal to involve a bit more than just a difficult volley (which you know he couldn't repeat if he tried it another 100 times).

Not with goals that involve a great dribbling or passing move. I just don't particularly care for those wonder shots. I mean they're great, but I'll always prefer a goal that involves more than just a shot.

How many dribbles do you think Messi and Ronaldo do before they score a wonder goal? How many times do you think Arsenal will try and pass through a team before Wilshere finishes off a great move? I also prefer a good team move btw, but neither James' or Cahill's was one and I don't think we've seen a great one this tournament yet.

Not hipster, I always prefer a proper team goal as well

I think Cahill and Rodriguez though is fair enough, he chested and hit it and Cahill hit a ball from a cross. I consider them great goals still.

I don't like the guy that has the ball at his feet, no one on him and he just takes a touch and hits it from 30 yards ... meh

Not hipster, I always prefer a proper team goal as well

I think Cahill and Rodriguez though is fair enough, he chested and hit it and Cahill hit a ball from a cross. I consider them great goals still.

I don't like the guy that has the ball at his feet, no one on him and he just takes a touch and hits it from 30 yards ... meh

Uh oh, Razzler has caught the hipster bug! You'll start liking Michael Carrick next...

How many dribbles do you think Messi and Ronaldo do before they score a wonder goal? How many times do you think Arsenal will try and pass through a team before Wilshere finishes off a great move? I also prefer a good team move btw, but neither James' or Cahill's was one and I don't think we've seen a great one this tournament yet.

For a start I don't think Ronaldo scores that many wonder goals, at least not int he mold that I prefer. His long range bullets are of course wonder goals in their own right.

There are many examples of dribbling runs, not just from Messi, or great passing moves. There are many many more examples of long range shots or wonder volleys, quite often by players who score a goal like that once or twice in their entire career. For me those goals just don't do it as much as those that involve something more.

Rodriguez yesterday was a fantastic example of a player in total control of the ball. The chest control, moving the ball a bit to the right so he can hit it well with his left foot, and the perfect shot. It's much more than just a difficult volley.

....although I am getting a bit tired of the new football cliché to COMPARE FLIPPING EVERYTHING!

"Who's was better, Rooney's or Beckham's?"

"Who's was better, Van Persie or Lowton?"

"Blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah?"

Just enjoy them all FFS :D

TBF, we're comparing two goals of the same tournament - one of them has to be goal of the tournament doesn't it? :)

Rooney and Beckham's comparison is silly, though, I agree.

Voted Rodriguez, but damn... they are so close to call. Cahill takes it first time, which makes it a great deal more difficult, but Rodriguez has to turn as he shoots, and has an impeccable technique. Both are wonderful goals.

I'd still rate RVP's as the best so far, though.

Archived