Netherlands vs Argentina QF, 7PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

The_jagster

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SouthCoastRed said:

Tbf JD by your own admission you’ve watched 8 out of 60 odd games, hardly a good sample size. I think it’s been a brilliant tournament, yes there’s been some dross, there always is, but the good games have been fantastic

"Good games are good" :D

I'm not disputing that there's been good quality. I am disputing that there's been spades of pure entertainment. 

but you're right, i wouldn't really know. 

2 minutes ago, JD nawrat said:

"Good games are good" :D

I'm not disputing that there's been good quality. I am disputing that there's been spades of pure entertainment. 

but you're right, i wouldn't really know. 

I actually think you're more right than wrong. I don't think the football has been great but the drama has been insane and that's what people will remember. 

Edited by darren1983

Is this the most dramatic day of World Cup ever? I don't think there were ever two shootouts on the same day, let alone with such dramatic endings.

Shame, I think we would've dealt with Netherlands, going to be a great game against Argentina, though.

They're definitely easier to play against than Brazil, but then there's also Messi.

I just want the referee to be decent and no VAR drama.

Alright. Overall, Argies deserved to win. But I will maintain that Messi should have been sent off, as well as Paredes. Lahoz can get stuffed, he decided the game in that respect. 

2 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

True. Would just expect a goalkeeper to get a proper break at some point before 27 if they're going to make it at a high level.

Speaking of keepers that got few breaks until they were 27, Emiliano Martinez has done alright for himself. (although he was on the bench or emergency cover at better clubs than Dordrecht)

-

Love the fact that no matter how loud he shouts, Jonathan Pearce is watching a completely different set of penalties from everybody else

1 minute ago, Marc Albrighton said:

It was really weird from the Dutch tbh, changed tactics in the 80th, got back into the game and caused all sorts of problems and then in ET they went back to the first 80 minutes tactics that never worked the first time.

In fairness they were never gonna stay with the "smack it up front and hope for the best" tactic, but yeah, they were absolutely turgid for 80 minutes, and throughout the whole of extra time. I don't think Argentina were amazing but they were the better team by a country mile.

Just now, aiston said:

Messi having the balls to take the first pen, Neymar should take that on board.

I never understood the "best taker last" strategy. Most shootouts are won in the first few series.

First two must be good takers and then you leave one for the last penalty.

Why did the Dutch stop playing like Stoke though, they probably would have won if they continued that :D

They could play like that because Argentina went into full panic mode. With that formation they had no midfield and as soon as Argentina realized they have to play again, they couldn't get the ball.

Just now, darren1983 said:

I actually thin you're more right than wrong. I don't think the football has been great but the drama has been insane and that's what people will remember. 

I absolutely agree it's been really dramatic fwiw. Even without seeing much i recognise that - Spain 7-0, then being ****. Germany's story. Japan being great. South Korea defying odds, Saudi Arabia doing Argentina. Morocco's run so far, Croatia beating Brazil, there's loads of great storylines. 

It's a bit like if Vince McMahon was scripting the World Cup really. Maybe not got the quality but at least it's compelling :D 

1 minute ago, DJ said:

Alright. Overall, Argies deserved to win. But I will maintain that Messi should have been sent off, as well as Paredes. Lahoz can get stuffed, he decided the game in that respect. 

A lot of players should have walked if Lahoz had called things consistently. To steal Gunman's term, he bottled it every time he had a difficult card (2nd yellow) to dish out.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, JD nawrat said:

It's a bit like if Vince McMahon was scripting the World Cup really. Maybe not got the quality but at least it's compelling :D 

We’ll know if Vince is booking this if Portugal get to the final too and Ronaldo is on the bench until Messi calls him out :D 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

In fairness they were never gonna stay with the "smack it up front and hope for the best" tactic, but yeah, they were absolutely turgid for 80 minutes, and throughout the whole of extra time. I don't think Argentina were amazing but they were the better team by a country mile.

I'd have atleast had a pop at it for the last 10 of ET though

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I never understood the "best taker last" strategy. Most shootouts are won in the first few series.

First two must be good takers and then you leave one for the last penalty.

They could play like that because Argentina went into full panic mode. With that formation they had no midfield and as soon as Argentina realized they have to play again, they couldn't get the ball.

Budimir and Petkovic starting, calling it now 

3 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

A lot of players should have walked if Lahoz had called things consistently. To steal Gunman's term, he bottled it every time he had a difficult card (2nd yellow) to dish out.

It was just like Howard Webb in 2010, thought he could keep it under control by booking everyone, when it's the threat of a red that actually makes the difference.

It seems like you are going to have to do something incredibly bad to get sent off this world cup.

Edited by The_jagster

Just now, Lucas said:

We’ll know if Vince is booking this if Portugal get to the final too and Ronaldo is on the bench until Messi calls him out :D 

CR hits Santos with a steel chair and subs himself on to score the winner in the 89th minute. 

Just now, The_jagster said:

It was just like Howard Webb in 2010, thought he could keep it under control by booking everyone, when it's the threat of a red that actually makes the difference.

It seems like you are going to have to do something incredibly bad to get sent off.

Cards get wiped now I think? Feels like they really just didn't want to send anyone off unless it was murder 

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Is this the most dramatic day of World Cup ever? I don't think there were ever two shootouts on the same day, let alone with such dramatic endings.

Had two shootouts on the same day in the last one. No surprises your lot was involved in one of them, the other saw Spain dumped out in what would have been a great underdog win if it didn't involve Russia

• Administrators

I wanted both Brazil and Argentina to win today since it’s likely a European team in the other spot for the final. 

So fair play to Argentina but I’m expecting that to go to pens as well. 

Gonna miss LVG’s press comments though.