*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

Press conferences are not bad per-se, they are considered bad because it's incredibly boring to answer a set of questions before and after a match for 38 matches a season. There is no winning formula, it's just how they are. Adding more questions/answer won't solve anything, because you still have to do it over and over.

It's just one of those things that is fun to do at first, but you'd rather skip it after you're familiar with it (like cup draws, deadline day, recruitment meetings, staff meetings). Of course some aspects can be improved – why is "Congratulations, [manager]. You have won the Champions League..." the 6th question or why am I being asked about a manager transfer listing a random player after I just won the league. Also, bring back the horizontal questions - why the hell are they in blocks, that's terrible UX.

The thing is, the questions and answers could be perfectly crafted, you would still skip press conferences because they're just boring. 

My only gripe with it is that in order to skip them you have to assign them to the AssMan, which destroys your media handling attribute. I know it doesn't matter that much, but I wish there was a way to disable them alltogether.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Mitza said:

Press conferences are not bad per-se, they are considered bad because it's incredibly boring to answer a set of questions before and after a match for 38 matches a season. There is no winning formula, it's just how they are. Adding more questions/answer won't solve anything, because you still have to do it over and over.

It's just one of those things that is fun to do at first, but you'd rather skip it after you're familiar with it (like cup draws, deadline day, recruitment meetings, staff meetings). Of course some aspects can be improved – why is "Congratulations, [manager]. You have won the Champions League..." the 6th question or why am I being asked about a manager transfer listing a random player after I just won the league. Also, bring back the horizontal questions - why the hell are they in blocks, that's terrible UX.

The thing is, the questions and answers could be perfectly crafted, you would still skip press conferences because they're just boring. 

My only gripe with it is that in order to skip them you have to assign them to the AssMan, which destroys your media handling attribute. I know it doesn't matter that much, but I wish there was a way to disable them alltogether.

I used to watch Liverpool's press conference before every game and the first few times it was interesting but after a while it's basically the same questions like "how long until player x will be available for training again", "player x contract is running out at the end of the season, are you looking to renew it bla bla bla"

Just make the media conferences a condensed version. Perhaps 5 questions max. It would be much less tedious and you wouldn't get the same questions everytime.

In thier current form, I can't stand them. A chore.

Edited by Robioto

Personally, and I’ve said this before, I want my answers to have an impact on board and supporter relationships, as well as the squad. Not sure if it does already, and I am pleased that widgets have finally been added to the press conference screen to some extent, but more could be made of this, with perhaps incremental widgets moving up and down (or left and right like on the dynamics page for things like club atmosphere) depending on the user’s answers. Would give an immersive sense that your answers are actually doing something.

Perhaps they already do, but we need to SEE this. Like when being interviewed about a new signing. The new signing has a label that changes his mood depending on your answers. This could be made more of ALL the time. With board and supporters.

10 hours ago, DarJ said:

I used to watch Liverpool's press conference before every game and the first few times it was interesting but after a while it's basically the same questions like "how long until player x will be available for training again", "player x contract is running out at the end of the season, are you looking to renew it bla bla bla"

There's a few questions that are popping up out of real context, and they can be improved. But aside from that, they're pretty much as real life ones go (and I've sat through plenty of them and broadcast interviews for my job)  

Press conferences aren't exciting and don't really have much of an influence on players IRL so there's not much you more you can so with them apart from Improving context and timing 

8 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

I will maintain if SI wants to screw over every managers save they will randomize what responses show up where in the press conference. :-)

I haven't attended a press conference in years, the only way to screw me over is make my assistant awful at press conferences. I should probably stop giving them ideas. :stop:

Hi, new member here!

Every time I launch FM, Steam (for a few seconds) sort of freezes and gets unresponsive on that little "Preparing to launch" window that opens shortly when launching anything. Not really a bug or actual issue, but no other game in my library does this, so I was wondering if that's a thing that happens to all.

(I've noticed the game creates two separate folders for user data—one in the regular user-associated Documents, one in Public Documents, which seems unusual. Could it be related to that somehow?)

Edited by Blue_Three

9 hours ago, Jellico73 said:

I will maintain if SI wants to screw over every managers save they will randomize what responses show up where in the press conference. :-)

I struggle to explain this concept as concisely as you have, but this is so important.  Sure, there's an argument as to whether press conferences bring enough value to the user experience within a "game", but let's work on the assumption that they MUST be part of the game.  In that respect, it's important that the questions and responses have familiarity, so the player can essentially phone it in.  I recognise this question, I know my response is there.  If you start making any element of that dynamic (for example, by using language learning models as mentioned in the ChatGPT thread), the whole task of press conferences becomes infinitely more arduous for the player.

23 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

Patch is out

No changes is IF cutting inside :(

Please if someone playing enough games quote me and tell us if he sees any changes 

never had a problem with IF's cutting inside, don't think it needs fixing as my IF score loads of goals from cutting in.

Thanks Si for stuffing my game up . Twice now the updates have ruined it . World Cup Asian Qual needs 48 but can only find 47 teams . I havnt even touched the dam thing :applause:And no sound?

Edited by alian62

30 minutes ago, StevehFC said:

Is there any fix to the youth development bug? 

Too early to tell. People will have to sim and test it out. Does not seem much in regards to this in the patch notes unlike the last patch. 

AI teams are meant to be better at loaning out players to develop them better. Besides that not much. 

10 minutes ago, 91427 said:

Seems like most player attributes haven't been touched which is a shame. Casemiro still has the same tackling as McTominay lol

"Seems like most player attributes haven't been touched" Wondering what evidence you base that statement on? Does this apply to a specific team?

In any case I would detail on the data forum what changes you think should be made for what players detailing supporting evidence for any potential attribute change

Tomoki Iwata (J-League player of the year) with CA on a par with most our worst players.  And Kobayashi even worse.  :D

And what exactly does the likes of Greg Taylor need to do to get an upgrade.  Brutal.

Edited by celtic_fc

2 minutes ago, celtic_fc said:

Tomoki Iwata (J-League player of the year) with CA on a par with most our worst players.  And Kobayashi even worse.  :D

And what exactly does the likes of Greg Taylor need to do to get an upgrade.  Brutal.

Some CA in the league need fixed. 

Edited by StevehFC

9 minutes ago, MrPompey said:

"Seems like most player attributes haven't been touched" Wondering what evidence you base that statement on? Does this apply to a specific team?

I started a new save and looked at player attributes for a bit, feel like you should have been able to work that out for yourself. Some people on this forum get weirdly defensive of SI when they get even the most minor criticism 

1 hour ago, celtic_fc said:

Has Josh Campbell at least had an upgrade for you guys?

Spoiler

He's at 105 CA with -6 for PA. 

Nisbet and Shankland both being at 115 for CA considering Levitt is at 116 CA for United. 

56 minutes ago, Robioto said:

I've started a holiday game to test the AI around youth players and older players imbalance. I'll report back when it reaches 10 in game years.

I'm up to 2025, I've done medium database and the top 5 European leagues (all divisions).

I'll report it in the Player Development & Newgens post:

Downloaded the update however it now says "Disk Write Error" and won't allow me to load up FM23 - no issues with any other games.

Using a MacBook 2020 M1 with the Ventura 13.2.1 operating system.

Any other Mac users having this issue? Only happened since the new patch came out - was working fine before hand and running at top performance. 

• SI Staff
4 minutes ago, ScottishFM said:

Downloaded the update however it now says "Disk Write Error" and won't allow me to load up FM23 - no issues with any other games.

Using a MacBook 2020 M1 with the Ventura 13.2.1 operating system.

Any other Mac users having this issue? Only happened since the new patch came out - was working fine before hand and running at top performance. 

Hi, If you're on a Mac and are seeing this error, in some instances it will be due to a permissions issue and you need to allow full disk access to Steam. To do so, follow these instructions:

- Go to System Settings
- Select Privacy & Security
- Select Full Disk Access, click the + and authenticate
- Go to Applications, Steam, then click "Open".
- Ensure the button is over to the right next to Steam in the apps list to indicate it allows full disk access

If that doesn't work please create a support ticket - https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

4 minutes ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hi, If you're on a Mac and are seeing this error, in some instances it will be due to a permissions issue and you need to allow full disk access to Steam. To do so, follow these instructions:

- Go to System Settings
- Select Privacy & Security
- Select Full Disk Access, click the + and authenticate
- Go to Applications, Steam, then click "Open".
- Ensure the button is over to the right next to Steam in the apps list to indicate it allows full disk access

If that doesn't work please create a support ticket - https://fmofficial.support/Ticket

Superb mate, works perfect now - thanks for that.

58 minutes ago, 91427 said:

I started a new save and looked at player attributes for a bit, feel like you should have been able to work that out for yourself. Some people on this forum get weirdly defensive of SI when they get even the most minor criticism 

3.7million data changes were made for this update (source; SI email to researchers). Of course this includes things other than attributes but all players will have been reviewed.

3 minutes ago, jpe said:

On a new save the media prediction for Juventus is 20th and the 5 year plan is to continue to avoid relegation :rolleyes:

20th makes sense given the have a -15point deduction right?   the 5 year plan isn't ideal but will be updated each season and even within the season

Just now, Brentford Alan said:

3.7million data changes were made for this update (source; SI email to researchers). Of course this includes things other than attributes but all players will have been reviewed.

Or you know... every blurb they have released about the update

1 minute ago, Welshace said:

20th makes sense given the have a -15point deduction right?   the 5 year plan isn't ideal but will be updated each season and even within the season

Juve tend to get 70-80+ points so the point deduction would put them somewhere in the 6th-10th range most likely

1 hour ago, StevehFC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

He's at 105 CA with -6 for PA. 

Nisbet and Shankland both being at 115 for CA considering Levitt is at 116 CA for United. 

49 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Any CA/PA reveals should take place elsewhere for people who don't want spoilers.

I put it in spolier tags for you.

Il 14/2/2023 in 13:18 , Mitza ha scritto:

Every year there's a few people complaining about too many injures blaming it on SI.

I think it's perfectly fine, maybe your tactics/intensity/rotation/staff/training is at play, or sometimes you're just unlucky. I peronsally experienced a very normal amount of injuries in 20+ seasons this year

-           Decreased the training injury frequency rate

Straight from the new patch notes. Maybe it's not "a few people blaming SI" but many reporting BUGS that affect the game. But as usual in this forums there are certain people defending even obviously broken stuff just because they feel like it's a personal attack.

Just now, DMaster2 said:

-           Decreased the training injury frequency rate

Straight from the new patch notes. Maybe it's not "a few people blaming SI" but many reporting BUGS that affect the game. But as usual in this forums there are certain people defending even obviously broken stuff just because they feel like it's a personal attack.

Do note that this says "training injuries", if players who had loads of injuries keep doing the same thing and not rotating or resting enough, they're unlike to see any reduction.

I personally haven't had much issues with injuries in any of my saves, so I was surprised that this was done, but since SI have changed it they must have found something in their simulations or bug reports. At the very least it shows that reporting what you think are bugs has an effect.