*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 минут назад, Mr Tonio сказал:

Quick question, does anyone successfully managed to have their captain settle an unstettled player? 6 saves from the beta on, i've never been able to achieve that...Not once.

In my save on 23.1 I found a way to calm the player with a success rate close to 100% which was basically ask the captain to settle the player, which always fails, then talk to the player my myself - which in 99% of cases worked. This interaction in every version of FM is always either a 99% success rate of captain solving the issue, 99% chance of him not being able to solve it, or some other extremity which repeats again and again

Please help! The game became utterly unplayable after the latest update...it is so laggy in the match and the rendering is awful and slow and weird. I have RTX 3050 TI and the game was running smoothly before this update. What is SI doing exactly here? Do they not QA a major update like this before releasing? 

17 minutes ago, waraka14 said:

Please help! The game became utterly unplayable after the latest update...it is so laggy in the match and the rendering is awful and slow and weird. I have RTX 3050 TI and the game was running smoothly before this update. What is SI doing exactly here? Do they not QA a major update like this before releasing? 

Credit to @fc.cadoniwith the tech help:

Right click on Football Manager 2023 on Steam > Properties > Launch Options

--disable_flip_discard

In NVIDIA Control Panel

Low Latency Mode - Ultra
Threaded Optimization - On
Triple Buffering - Off
Vertical Sync - Off

I currently manage the Netherland national team. All the players have faces for their club teams perfectly fine but if I try to look at them via their national profile then their faces are all blacked out. This doesn’t happen for every national side either, it seems to only be the Netherlands national side. I had no problem before update. I followed all steps such as delete caches,preferances,reload skin etc but it did not solve it. Any help?

47 minutes ago, ceta96 said:

I currently manage the Netherland national team. All the players have faces for their club teams perfectly fine but if I try to look at them via their national profile then their faces are all blacked out. This doesn’t happen for every national side either, it seems to only be the Netherlands national side. I had no problem before update. I followed all steps such as delete caches,preferances,reload skin etc but it did not solve it. Any help?

It has been the case in the past that the Dutch NT is not licensed and so player pics won't show. There are files in the game that will turn those pics off. However the FM website does show the Dutch NT to be licensed.

I just checked and my Dutch NT is the same.

According to the database files the player pics for Holland are disabled. You can probably change it but it won't affect a save in progress, I suspect.

Not sure whether I can talk about this...post may get removed.

1 hour ago, Daz2205 said:

Credit to @fc.cadoniwith the tech help:

Right click on Football Manager 2023 on Steam > Properties > Launch Options

--disable_flip_discard

In NVIDIA Control Panel

Low Latency Mode - Ultra
Threaded Optimization - On
Triple Buffering - Off
Vertical Sync - Off

Thank you for this but sadly for me it's still flickering. In terms of my game, it only flickers during the "in between highlights" part. I've tried 2D and 3D and it still does it, just more noticeable in 2D. I've uninstalled/reinstalled graphics card, deleted preferences/cache but nothing. Is there anything else you or anyone else could suggest to do?

16 minutes ago, Peter G said:

Can someone please explain Work Permits for me. If in England a player is a foreign national but he has eligibility for an English passport due to time in the country, does he need a WP?

Being eligible does not mean that the player will apply for a passport and many players will not for different reasons- their original nation may not allow dual nationalities. losing the chance of playing for their home nation etc.  Whilst he remains a foreign national he needs a WP

5 hours ago, CSF90 said:

Probably not feedback at this point, but just got this from my first youth intake post-patch. Hopefully not a pattern in future years!

image.thumb.png.731d11c027179e6303e07ad9db63710c.png

Interestingly enough i got the same thing

15325173_Screenshot2022-12-02230542.thumb.jpg.ea97637b68f8c3bb0839260a989cf327.jpg

54 minutes ago, roykela said:

Frankly, I can't remember the last time I had even a decent youth intake, definitely not in quite a few editions. Usually playing as Man Utd or Milan, I've come to assume every youth intake will be trash, and instead just scout other teams' intakes when my own teams' happens. This is obviously with maxed out facilities and junior coaching and everything. Not the end of the world, but does prevent me from even considering some kind of homegrown only save.

2 hours ago, jdubsnz said:

not sure if this sort of thing is a bug, but both the board and fans want to see Pepe make his debut? he's been at the club 4 seasons, just was out on loan last season?

Screenshot_20221202_211250.thumb.png.3d66e5ceb3bc943555440c2246f80932.png

Hass he played for your club yet?

Difficult to know where to start with my feedback on the update; so many problems fixed, and so many more created as a result.

- Literally hundreds of passes per game stacked up between centre backs (rendering all data hub analysis pointless) 

- So many shots inside the box punted miles over the bar

- A dreadful return to FM19 of players shooting from ridiculous angles rather than cutting it back

- Top quality players refusing to cross when this is clearly the best option

I think its time I got a divorce. 

I've noticed that fullbacks now go to the byline, turn and then cross the ball with their weaker foot instead of crossing it first time with their preferred foot. Tomorrow if I don't forget I will put together a series of clip that shows it happening 

18 minutes ago, rdbayly said:

Difficult to know where to start with my feedback on the update; so many problems fixed, and so many more created as a result.

- Literally hundreds of passes per game stacked up between centre backs (rendering all data hub analysis pointless) 

- So many shots inside the box punted miles over the bar

- A dreadful return to FM19 of players shooting from ridiculous angles rather than cutting it back

- Top quality players refusing to cross when this is clearly the best option

I think its time I got a divorce. 

Interesting. I’m not saying this doesn’t happen but personally my wingers have gone up a level with crossing and cut backs. Scoring some lovely goals from wing play. Also echoing the sentiment that headers seem a bit more powerful now too, which is not a bad thing. I’m currently playing a 442.

I’m missing the chaos a little but overall I feel the ME seems more stable, if that’s a thing. 

Only played one match since the update so it is hard to draw anything too conclusive.

- Watching the game I thought it looked much the same as before the update. Tbf, I wasn't seeing the long balls and poor defending all that much and I liked the ME. I still ike it.

- Looking at the stats after the game, there were a lot of passes and my team's pass completion is high. It was only marginally more than before the update though.

- I did see my right wing back cutting in a lot (set to complete wing back and attack). He was driving at the goal and shooting a lot more. My central midfielder (segundo volante, attack) made some lovely driving runs.

- my first two goals were crosses, but not from too wide. My striker (loan striker in a 4-2-3-1) broke from the defence for both. 

- there was passing between my defenders but it wasn't excessive. It did surprise me to see that we made 850 completed passes in the match from an attempted 956. I watch the game on Comprehensive highlights so I see a lot of the football.

- I had accidentally started a match on Full Match before the update and I was seeing a lot of passing between my defenders at times. I can't link that to the current update though. I've not had an issue with the ME, as I say, so there's little I've felt the need to bug with it.

- I understand stats being a little irregular. FM's ME is a coded replica of real life football. When I watch the ME in action it looks lovely. The football i was watching my team play in the first half of the match I watched was really nice. It lioved up to a real game. I could sit an analyse stats all day long and I suspect I could be disappointed. I think SI have done us proud to make a ME that looks good, makes for some entertaining watching and is a fair representation of the modern game. They would be hailed as geniuses of the highest order if they were to make a ME that was an exact replica of real football.

- SI spoke of trade offs. I suspect we have had them to alter the much asked for improvement to defensive positioning. I really don't see a huge amount of change between the updates. I am certainly not seeing the dreaful new errors in the ME that people have reported. Of course, I ask myself would people be happy whatever SI managed to give us? No need to answer that.

I'm still happy. I enjoyed the game pre-update and I am very sure I'll continue to enjoy it.

I haven't really had a chance to assess other changes. Only used it once but the small window to assign players for B team or U19s seemed more stable.

If anyone wants to see the match I played, here it is.

I see no reason to assess my marriage state because of the update and the question of a good or bad ME. No divorce necessary...oh, I'm not married. More FM! :brock:

Hey anyone here getting crush dumbs maybe after matches?

After every match i played, i finish it and clicking on other teams result and getting into the match overview and after that im getting crush dumbps

And i used the --disable_flip_discard code

• SI Staff
31 minutes ago, GOODNAME said:

Hey anyone here getting crush dumbs maybe after matches?

After every match i played, i finish it and clicking on other teams result and getting into the match overview and after that im getting crush dumbps

And i used the --disable_flip_discard code

This article outlines some help that may be of use: 

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/10004422057745-What-should-I-do-if-I-get-a-crash-dump-quit-unexpectedly-message-whilst-processing-or-clicking-something-in-Football-Manager-#text

A plea to SI....Please make the ME updates optional.

I know there is controversy every year, this seems the only solution to me, if possible. 

The release version was superb, possibly the best ever. Fair play to the devs, they did an amazing job. Contrary to popular opinion, I didn't see too many through balls, but instead the ability to carve open opposition defences with decisive passing was the best it has been for years. 

The new update is a travesty. It feels like all the fun has been sucked out of the game in one 10 second update. Replaced with plodding aimless sufferball. Knock it around the back for a while and then hoof a lofted through ball -- multiply by 90 minutes. Inside forwards and inverted wingers, totally nerfed. Dribbling -- don't bother, you'll lose the ball. Players now overlapping each others' positions and getting in the way of each other. Inverted fullbacks, what the hell has happened there?? Cut backs, cutting inside, incisive one touch counter attacks... all disappeared into the ether. The much marketed 'chaos' factor reduced to a few bumbling poor first touches.

Personally speaking my motivation to play the game is greatly diminished now. I guess we'll now have to wait until March for a possible improvement, which doesn't seem very fair considering it will be nearly half-way through this year's product life cycle.

Back to my original point -- while the customer base has provided some vital feedback, it also feels like too many cooks have spoiled the broth. I hope the devs can have strength of conviction in their own vision for the ME. And more than anything I hope we can choose which version of the ME to play.

Rant over. Sorry. 

19 hours ago, akinozcan said:

Assuming your comment is not sarcastic, I'd like to ask a question: Did you notice a difference in terms of cutting inside of IWs and IFs compared to pre-update?

I got somewhat little time to actually play the game and make wide range conclusion about difference between two versions. Sadly though I did watch some AI Vs AI games and tried to find situations where Liverpool's Salah does these cut-ins and it was very hard to find one. I don't trust 100% to dribbling calculating analysis tool so I think I should also watch situations where Salah loses possession (Lost possession) if he tries a cut-in in these.

17 hours ago, Huey Lewis said:

woof.jpg.0968bc01cb9278cb95788b388a99c7f8.jpg

:eek:

Some nice attributes but his low Off the ball movement will kill him as an attacking full back, he wont make those forward runs he needs to. And poor dribbling too, he'll have to keep checking back or will fail to expolit space with / without the ball. Work rate not great either, really important for attacking full backs.

These flaws reduce his attacking threat massively.

A few more points before I check out until March:

1. The number of offsides has gone through the roof -- Of the 14 games (comprehensive highlights) I've played since the update, there are over 3 times as many offsides on average per game compared to the 14 games prior to the updated. Obviously linked to the large increase in lofted through balls I'm witnessing. 
  2. Shot selection has become terrible -- why pass to the overlapping player when you can hammer the ball over the bar from 30 yards on your wrong foot. Shooting from bad angles is back. Generally, I feel finishing has become very erratic, although that is just a rough observation. I'm MASSIVELY under my .xg in almost every game now. 
  3. Pressing seems far less intense 
  4. Mis-controlled first touches are happening weirdly often now.

To be honest, I wouldn't have bought the game if this had been the release version of the ME and it's a bit annoying I've sunk so many hours into playing it now. 

@Conrad Kaine I agree with your point about a ME update being optional. Unfortunately I just do not think it would be possible, otherwise I am sure we would have that option.

Nearly every year the ME I enjoy the most is the first. As this thread fills with rage the ME gets updated and becomes, generally, a more sterile version of itself.

Now of course the ME has to evolve, needs to evolve and wants to evolve. I just wish it could be in a way that retains the FUN of the, often, first version each year.

Having said that I think SI have done a fabulous job so far with the evolution of this years ME. Don’t touch it no more! Be brave! 😁

8 hours ago, ram22469 said:

Frankly, I can't remember the last time I had even a decent youth intake, definitely not in quite a few editions. Usually playing as Man Utd or Milan, I've come to assume every youth intake will be trash, and instead just scout other teams' intakes when my own teams' happens. This is obviously with maxed out facilities and junior coaching and everything. Not the end of the world, but does prevent me from even considering some kind of homegrown only save.

I've had many average, good and excellent intakes over the last few editions.
This edition though it seems like they're all rubbish. I'm not managing a top team but a club in the Swedish 4 tier.
Haven't gotten to the actual intake yet, but i will have to assume the attributes are bad.
Bad in a club where the senior players' attributes are already very low.

Never had an issue with it before. It's the first time ever i've received an intake report like this.
Will be interesting to see the actual players.
Depending on next season (and which club as well, if i get the sack) it'll be interesting to see if it's any different or exactly the same.
If it's the same then a bug report might be the right way to go, to see if it's working as intended or not.

22 minutes ago, JohnKHutch said:

Has anyone else had the game completely crash their laptop since the update? Every other game I'll go into, it'll just restart my whole laptop randomly with no warning/error message.

No issues with crash so far with FM23. Are you using customs files with the game (skins, databases, views, logos, faces etc)?

11 hours ago, roykela said:

15325173_Screenshot2022-12-02230542.thumb.jpg.ea97637b68f8c3bb0839260a989cf327.jpg

In FM22 there was quite a disconnect between the Preview and the actual Youth Intake you received, so much so that I ended up just ignoring the preview entirely. Be interesting to see what you get on intake day.

4 hours ago, 2feet said:

Some nice attributes but his low Off the ball movement will kill him as an attacking full back, he wont make those forward runs he needs to. And poor dribbling too, he'll have to keep checking back or will fail to expolit space with / without the ball. Work rate not great either, really important for attacking full backs.

So basically a Gary Neville? :D

Not sure if this is a common issue but the game just seems too easy with a diamond formation and two advanced strikers. Playing with Hibernian and got 50m in bank and won the last 5 domestic trophies and in europa semi final now too. Only in 4th season. 

4 hours ago, 2feet said:

In fairness the player is 17 and as my club is lower Championship level standard club, so he's got an insane amount of growth available in him (the 4.5 star rating for my level). The main point was to highlight newgen full-backs who have a starting base of being able to cross now do exist. 

I might be forced into starting a new save soon, which when you consider the amount of hours I've already got in this one, would be heartbreaking. However, the amount of annoying glitches in general gameplay since the update is becoming unbearable. The latest one is a news report saying I could be losing my right back due to a relegation clause at my 'recently-relegated' club. This report coming a few weeks after we've just won promotion to the top flight. 

I've also got a player who was annoyed I wasn't playing him as a Mezalla (even though I was), and then when the broken promise thing came up, I promised to fix it, and from nowhere the promise now states he wanted to be played as a BWM instead, which I don't play with. Meaning, I'm being forced to sell one of my best players because of complete broken nonsense. 

Such a shame, as the match engine is terrific this year, and I've really liked the new additions to the game (I'm one of the few who really like the squad planner, and it's great this now includes trialists). 

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

I might be forced into starting a new save soon, which when you consider the amount of hours I've already got in this one, would be heartbreaking. However, the amount of annoying glitches in general gameplay since the update is becoming unbearable. The latest one is a news report saying I could be losing my right back due to a relegation clause at my 'recently-relegated' club. This report coming a few weeks after we've just won promotion to the top flight. 

I've also got a player who was annoyed I wasn't playing him as a Mezalla (even though I was), and then when the broken promise thing came up, I promised to fix it, and from nowhere the promise now states he wanted to be played as a BWM instead, which I don't play with. Meaning, I'm being forced to sell one of my best players because of complete broken nonsense. 

Such a shame, as the match engine is terrific this year, and I've really liked the new additions to the game (I'm one of the few who really like the squad planner, and it's great this now includes trialists). 

I know it's not the ideal solution but I opt for the saved game editor in these instances.

Promises just aren't nuanced enough to not become a headache, so I just remove the unhappiness if I feel it's unwarranted and carry on with my save. 

13 hours ago, Tyburn said:

Interesting. I’m not saying this doesn’t happen but personally my wingers have gone up a level with crossing and cut backs. Scoring some lovely goals from wing play. Also echoing the sentiment that headers seem a bit more powerful now too, which is not a bad thing. I’m currently playing a 442.

I’m missing the chaos a little but overall I feel the ME seems more stable, if that’s a thing. 

Im seeing this too, haven't changed my tactic and my IF and IW arent doing that thing where there would be a chance to cross and they turn back and take the momentum out of the move if marked. Ok crosses get blocked too but Im fine with this as they are attempting the cross by trying to beat the player.

Really impressed as previously when defending needed work it would tend to go too far that way (or the other if attacking needed work) but it feels well balanced with improvements in both attack and defence.

1 hour ago, dannyfc said:

I know it's not the ideal solution but I opt for the saved game editor in these instances.

Promises just aren't nuanced enough to not become a headache, so I just remove the unhappiness if I feel it's unwarranted and carry on with my save. 

I do this as well. It also eliminates the problem of the entire team sympathizing with the unhappiness of a 1-star-ability player complaining about wanting a new contract.

Here are my thoughts on the latest patch:

1. Crossing - here I can see improvement because the fullback and wingers/inverted wingers make more crosses and it feels much more natural. Also, the players now make more intelligent crosses which was not the case before.

2. Passing - here there are positives and some negatives that I noticed. First, the positives are that the players do not just pass the ball but they will try to make some space before they do it. About the negatives, it was mentioned by a few members before me the higher number of passes but I will try to explain the reason why this is the case. This is probably caused by high tiki-taka first time passes either by players inside their own box or in the opposite box. For example, defenders win the ball and they make 4-5 passes in their own box which does not seems realistic. Apart from this, I also thing that the general accuracy of the passes should be toned-down a little. 

3. Dribbling - here I also see positives. The players do try more dribbles and will try to create space before passing/shooting. 

4. Shooting - positives only here. Players now in contrast than before the patch try to create space and than shoot, instead like before when the just made the shoot without an effort to create the space needed. 

Overall I am satisfied with the patch and now I can start some good save. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, kandersson said:

This needs a very quick fix.

A couple of screenshots of youth intakes don't really give us any scope to 'fix' something. I've had a save started since this most recent update where I've had multiple youth intakes during testing ranging with a variety of players and different levels of intakes. 

If there's a wider issue you've experienced feel free to raise via the Bug Tracker. But sometimes people will have bad intakes. 

I criticized you a lot but time to give a credit to you. I loved this game with new update. Even though ı think there is still something to fix in match engine ı can say that its most realistic fm ı have played ever as to results,league table , match engine.