*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ME is always a bone of contention for every release. There are small elements that need changing, but nothing majorly wrong.

I do like some of the "mistakes" players are making this year. It has bought in a level of realism.

27 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

The great Cleon used to post tactical advice prolifically. I thought he'd stopped but in fact he was putting his energies into writing lengthy books on FM tactics. the first one is out, and downloadable for free.

Link: 

Football Manager Playbook Out Now!

This is amazing. Have not heard that name in a loooooong time.

Thanks for posting

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Nah, I'm being genuine. Match engine is good.

Obviously there are things that could be better but there's nothing broken enough for them to rush a fix. Tweaks for January? Probably. 

Long balls are everywhere and defenders go on walkabout. 

Not great tbh

6 minutes ago, BamBamBam said:

Long balls are everywhere and defenders go on walkabout. 

Not great tbh

I've had 1 instance where defenders seemingly moved to an invisible line instead of reacting to a through ball but no issues with long balls/balls over the top.

You can absolutely defend against teams trying to knock it over your back line.

53 минуты назад, Neil Brock сказал:

There's knowledge everywhere to be fair. Some brilliant smaller known streamers and some of the well-known names are great as well.

Likewise loads of fantastic posters on these forums, our The Byline series and across a number of FM sites. Plus not to mention the amount of knowledge both within the studio and via our moderating team.

Some of us from within the studio crop up on the odd podcast externally as well, so the info is all over the place really. 

Still hope you decide to keep developer diaries like Paradox Interactive

1 hour ago, BamBamBam said:

You really think this?

You think Doctor Benjy and Zealand are more interested in clicks than the game they have played and invested their time for years in?

They probably have the best knowledge of the game if anything.

I think that yes, but I never mentioned any names since it's massively different for each and everyone. I think both of them are brilliant entertainers, and I enjoy their content. And the same for lots of other streamers. Still, no matter if they praise or criticise the game, it won't affect how I view it. I've agreed with both their praise and critique before, and also disagreed with them.

And no, they don't have the best knowledge of the game. Many streams of either I watch, I can see they exclaim things that are factually wrong, but it's not important that they get things 100% correct, as they are entertainers. Both are quite well traversed in the game, sure, but they don't know everything. As said before Rashidi is the place to look if you want a deep dive into the technicalities of the game, and loads of people around the forums knows a whole lot more of details than the streamers. Most of them also get help from others who know details in greater depth to help out. Most get help with creating skins and databases, simply because the other people are more skilled. And I'm not saying this to devalue the impact streamers have, but they are entertainers.

I hope I get my meaning across here, as I try to make a point of not placing any fingers towards anyone in particular, but rather the industry of social media and influencers in general and how people tend to jump on bandwagons. I think the FM community is much better than the field in general as there are some really horrible clickbaiters around other games that I really hope don't spread to FM!

8 minutes ago, dannysheard said:

Was he the Tea and Busquets guy?

Yup, that was him.

When I first discovered FM on YouTube, I was all into Zealand. After a while I felt that he and other prominent Tubers were too much me-me-me style over substance, but it was a good introduction.

Now the people I follow tend to come across a bit boring maybe, but it's the substance that I'm drawn to, not the 'entertainment' factor. I also won't go near YouTube that show you how to exploit the ME and gain success through what I'd deem to be unrealistic means. However, behind the Big 4, there's enough diversity on YouTube to find something that works for you.

20 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Now the people I follow tend to come across a bit boring maybe, but it's the substance that I'm drawn to, not the 'entertainment' factor.

Can you point them to me, kind sir :D? I am interested .. kind of got tired of the buzz and the lights and the screaming. Looking for something more calm and with more substance, as you said.

Just now, BuzzR said:

Can you point them to me, kind sir :D? I am interested .. kind of got tired of the buzz and the lights and the screaming. Looking for something more calm and with more substance, as you said.

Sure. I'm watching Daniel Coady right now - he has 2 saves on the go (although presumably they'll be abandoned imminently). They are campaigns with lower league clubs where he's usually one game away from the sack - it's relentless failure most of the time, which creates a real sense of jeopardy, not knowing if he'll survive or not. You don't get that from the big boys who just win win win.

One of them is a 'Head Coach' challenge, where you leave all transfer and contract business to your Director of Football. I'm also waiting for FMLlama's next campaign where he has the rule that you do not buy, loan or otherwise acquire any player bar through your annual academy intake.

Daniel Coady

His Head Coach and Build a Nation videos are current daily.

FMLlama's FM22 no transfer campaign

5 minutes ago, BuzzR said:

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCultofFM

https://www.youtube.com/c/BusttheNet

These two are very good.

Other than Zealand I never really took to any of the bigger guys. Editing in his videos gives me a headache though.

Hi Folks! Just had a look at Bursaspor (first save) this morning and I noticed all the players names show on the tactics and during a game with their first name and not their surname. Checked my squad and I've got 3 Hasans and a couple of Mehmets.

Now, I've never managed in Turkey, so my question to anyone in the know: is this correct and it's always like that?

Do we know if the game is out at midnight? I just presumed it was gunna be early afternoon tomorrow. But now im 2nd guessing myself, it would be nice if we had the time confirmed. But a lack of communication is unsurprising.

12 minutes ago, jfmargolin said:

Hi Folks! Just had a look at Bursaspor (first save) this morning and I noticed all the players names show on the tactics and during a game with their first name and not their surname. Checked my squad and I've got 3 Hasans and a couple of Mehmets.

Now, I've never managed in Turkey, so my question to anyone in the know: is this correct and it's always like that?

I'm not cultured enough to know the reasoning behind the convention but a lot of Turkish players do go by their given names.

Edit - I looked it up.

>Until the introduction of the Surname Law in 1934, as part of Atatürk's Reforms, ethnic Turks who were Turkish citizens had no surnames. The law required all citizens of Turkey to adopt an official surname. Before that, male Turks often used their father's name followed by -oğlu ("son of"), or a nickname of the family, before their given name (e.g. Mustafa-oğlu Mehmet, Köselerin Hasan) before the modern era.

Edited by KeiranShikari

Just now, Kyznar said:

Do we know if the game is out at midnight? I just presumed it was gunna be early afternoon tomorrow. But now im 2nd guessing myself, it would be nice if we had the time confirmed. But a lack of communication is unsurprising.

Apparently it came out a day early last year so it could certainly be this evening but no, they haven't said anything.

1 minute ago, Just4Downloads said:

Wembley?????? We need to do something about this 😭

Please give us a stadium editor!!!! 

Wembley's shocking in the game. A 90k capacity stadium that looks smaller than most of the Premier League grounds.

58 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Sure. I'm watching Daniel Coady right now - he has 2 saves on the go (although presumably they'll be abandoned imminently). They are campaigns with lower league clubs where he's usually one game away from the sack - it's relentless failure most of the time, which creates a real sense of jeopardy, not knowing if he'll survive or not. You don't get that from the big boys who just win win win.

One of them is a 'Head Coach' challenge, where you leave all transfer and contract business to your Director of Football. I'm also waiting for FMLlama's next campaign where he has the rule that you do not buy, loan or otherwise acquire any player bar through your annual academy intake.

Daniel Coady

His Head Coach and Build a Nation videos are current daily.

FMLlama's FM22 no transfer campaign

I've just discovered another one that I'm loving right now. He's created a narrative where he doesn't give a damn about building a nation or a club - it's all about the manager. In the FM21 series I'm starting on, the manager is a gangster and the goal is to amass personal wealth and buy houses etc. He did another series for FM22. Sounds a bit sims-y but he makes it super-entertaining.

FM21 | The Godfather | Episode 1 | The Back Story & The Job Hunt

FM22 / The Journeyman / Episode 1

The emphasis is still on winning and I'm in a minority of 0.0001% of people who don't go in for that, but he is a lot of fun.

5 minutes ago, Kyznar said:

They always update the game either the evening before release day or at midnight.. No release was ever on the afternoon of the release day as far as i can recall

9 minutes ago, Kyznar said:

Last year it was 8pm (UK time) on the Monday ahead of the Tuesday official release - i think thats been the case for the last few years too

Ah, the days of queuing outside a shop on release day and then spending all night hunched over a machine with some early Pentium processor and not knowing anything was wrong with the game.

Now it's all refreshing forum pages, reading rants about superkeepers/scripted AI and static defending and discovering bugs you never noticed yourself, all while relaunching steam until it drops. No romance any more.....

Edited by CoffeeFueledCurmudgeon

17 minutes ago, jfmargolin said:

I think I remember seeing a bug report about this last year, possibly SI are aware of it

3 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

There will be updates to the beta ME, of which some fixes will be in there.

But due to it being the full release they don't tend to post any ''patch'' notes as it's not an update. It's the first of the full version, rather than an updated beta. If that makes sense.

So yes, the ME and various other bits will be ''updated and fixed'' compared to the beta.

Do feel like not posting patch notes or changes between the beta and full game is jut a cop out and deflect if there are bugs or issues that were present in the BETA that were never fixed. 

Literally why else wouldnt you let your community know whats been fixed?

8 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Do feel like not posting patch notes or changes between the beta and full game is jut a cop out and deflect if there are bugs or issues that were present in the BETA that were never fixed. 

Literally why else wouldnt you let your community know whats been fixed?

I think I recall at some point in the last couple of years a big uproar and SI ended up posting what was changed a few hours/day after full release.

I guess at the very least we can go into the bug tracker and search via the resolved function... which is already there for all to see :brock: