*Official* Football Manager 2022 Feedback Thread

22 hours ago, Platinum said:

Quite dissapointing that it's been present for at least 5 years now, would be good to get a bit more transparency on this issue. I know SI dont like it when bugs exist for years so would be good to get some insight.

Good luck with that. It's been something that's come up several times over the years and nothing has been done, I wouldn't hold your breath. 

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
On 28/12/2021 at 12:32, Thalo said:

I also reported last year. Was acknowledged but I guess never fixed. Also noticed today clearances are completely missing from the player page.

Was curious to see if it's been around for a while, so installed FM17, and sure enough first game, stats didn't correlate. If they haven't fixed it for 5 years at least, not holding my breath they'll get it done for the final patch of this version.

There was actually a fix attempt put in for the key passes being inconsistent between player and team info, but wasn't completely successful, which shows that even for something like this that would appear like it should be straight-forward, it often can be quite complicated and difficult. Appreciate it's especially frustrating when something you spot isn't addressed, but can assure you stuff like this isn't ignored. 

Clearances is a different issue and was only added to the game in this format relatively recently (the older stat wasn't quite as accurate as to what was determined as a pass and a clearance). But is something we can hopefully get sorted for a future update. 

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, Viking said:

May I suggest programming the AI so that players with expired contracts understand the reason why they go unemployed for years might be because of their ridicoulus non-negotiable preferred position and role demands. 

Thanks. 

Yeah from my own playthroughs personally I'd agree that some players being non-negotiable specifically to roles is a bit much. I think in some cases being demanding about specific positions is more realistic given it is something that definitely happens in the professional game (and I remember when playing in youth football our CB kicking off because he always wanted to play CM :D), but yeah, something the team are looking at. 

6 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

Yeah from my own playthroughs personally I'd agree that some players being non-negotiable specifically to roles is a bit much. I think in some cases being demanding about specific positions is more realistic given it is something that definitely happens in the professional game (and I remember when playing in youth football our CB kicking off because he always wanted to play CM :D), but yeah, something the team are looking at. 

Absolutely, I mean you can not be a AP in my team. Maybe in a weaker side, but they don't pay for that level of play.

The thread of staying out of contract, should play a bigger role when signing free agents. They would maybe wait for a few weeks, but most of them would take a contract above no contract. 

(No contract meaning not beeing a pro footballer anymore).

Might I add, there are things in Live, like earning enough money to stay upfloat, maybe getting into conflict with playing football. So players do resign, the likelyhood of that happening should be increased ingame. 

Edited by b2khn

Not sure if this is a bug, but my U19 team played against Maccabi Tel Aviv in the UEFA Youth League final, and the referee was Israeli. We won the match, so no quibbles there, but isn't there a UEFA or FIFA rule preventing referees from working matches involving clubs from the same nation?

3 hours ago, RCCook said:

Not sure if this is a bug, but my U19 team played against Maccabi Tel Aviv in the UEFA Youth League final, and the referee was Israeli. We won the match, so no quibbles there, but isn't there a UEFA or FIFA rule preventing referees from working matches involving clubs from the same nation?

Looking at the regs for the UEFA Youth League, looks like having a referee from the same nation as a club in that match isn't a disqualifying factor: https://documents.uefa.com/r/Regulations-of-the-UEFA-Youth-League-2021/22/Article-38-Appointment-and-replacement-of-referees-Online

Only just tried FM22 since it is on gamepass. Surprised there has been no changes to some obvious issues I noticed from earlier versions.

• Training > Coaches page is useless, the page gives the same (actually less) information as the 'edit coach assignments' page but in a worse format. To actually change the coach assignments you still have to click the 'edit coach assignments' button to bring up an extra pop up style page instead of a regular page (the page is smaller and overlays the 'training > coaches' page and you can't use back/forward to navigate to and from it.
    Just replace the current Training > Coaches page with the actually useful 'edit coach assignments' page and make it a regular page and not some weird pop-up style page.

• Recruitment Meetings - you can't perform any actions with positions that aren't in your primary trained tactic.
    So for example, suppose you realise you squad doesn't have good options in the DM or AM positions so you decide to set a 4-4-2 as your primary tactic, but you have your other tactic(s) as 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1. Then you would want to recruit a DM, AM or both, but when the recruitment meeting comes around you can't set assignments to look for these positions because they are not in your primary tactic.

25 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

VAR. Every penalty check is a penalty unless it's outside of the area

You do see a 'no penalty' for a VAR incident inside the box sometimes - it seems pretty rare, but I've had it a couple of times in the 10 seasons I've played since the beta.

8 minutes ago, isignedupfornorealreason said:

Is the Europa League knockout rounds meant to be a one-off match and not a two legged affair in the Qatar World Cup season?

Yes.

On 31/12/2021 at 10:27, Neil Brock said:

There was actually a fix attempt put in for the key passes being inconsistent between player and team info, but wasn't completely successful, which shows that even for something like this that would appear like it should be straight-forward, it often can be quite complicated and difficult. Appreciate it's especially frustrating when something you spot isn't addressed, but can assure you stuff like this isn't ignored. 

Clearances is a different issue and was only added to the game in this format relatively recently (the older stat wasn't quite as accurate as to what was determined as a pass and a clearance). But is something we can hopefully get sorted for a future update. 

Thanks for the info. I gave some extra detail in the bug thread I made but I havent recieved a response so not sure if it has been seen.

7 hours ago, zbprhhxhteqi said:

• Recruitment Meetings - you can't perform any actions with positions that aren't in your primary trained tactic.
    So for example, suppose you realise you squad doesn't have good options in the DM or AM positions so you decide to set a 4-4-2 as your primary tactic, but you have your other tactic(s) as 4-2-3-1 or a 4-5-1. Then you would want to recruit a DM, AM or both, but when the recruitment meeting comes around you can't set assignments to look for these positions because they are not in your primary tactic.

Yeah we should be able to choose any position especially since sometimes you want a player in a new position so that you can then change formation 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Platinum said:

Thanks for the info. I gave some extra detail in the bug thread I made but I havent recieved a response so not sure if it has been seen.

Yeah most of the studio is off until next week now, but will be picked up on their return. 

I was playing a save with Venezia and players kept asking for new contracts with wages way out of the realm of reality. I get that they’re newly promoted so some of the older players want higher salary but that’s just so unrealistic and silly that an entire core group of players outright demand higher wages without any context.

I also wonder, when you play the first season in the game and the Sports Scientist says that you’ve experienced a X% decrease in injuries compared to last year, is that data accurate? (i e is that data based off of anything or is it like how whatever number of goals your strikers scores in the first season becomes a club record?)

Is it just my save or Champions League becomes Premier League+? English teams have won 15 out of 24 CLs in my save. There were 2 finals without an English team and out of 48 teams that took part in finals, 33 out of 48 were English. I'm not saying it's unrealistic, it probably is with all the money in PL, but it just gets... boring.

On 01/01/2022 at 03:20, Kingstontom88 said:

Absurd ease of 1 touch passing and moves which see teams hold onto the ball for passing phases that Barce and Man City would be proud of

Went and tried a few matches in FM21 to see how it compared, and it is night and day. VNN/S level teams in the range of 70-80% passing accuracy, don't think I've seen a single team average less than 80% in FM22.

hace 18 minutos, Thalo dijo:

Went and tried a few matches in FM21 to see how it compared, and it is night and day. VNN/S level teams in the range of 70-80% passing accuracy, don't think I've seen a single team average less than 80% in FM22.

All right. Too much precision in the pass, few driblings, few skills... This ME seems like Guardiola's wet dream.

A good ME should allow every manager to see their style... But lovers of counterattack, dribbling and quick play have been forgotten by SI Games and I have less and less hope that they will fix it...  Because it is a structural problem of the ME that seems designed only for passing football.

Cut inside? Dribblings? Skills? Quick play? Counterattacks? Bad ME for this football.

9 hours ago, kepz said:

Has anyone experienced leagues like La Liga and EPL beginning the 30th of July in 2022? Is this to accommodate for the WC? 

Yeah, pretty much all higher level divisions will be a bit strange for the 2022/23 season.

11 hours ago, Thalo said:

What's annoying is increased passing errors was specifically called out as a key improvement this year. I was excited about as in previous games it's far too easy to play comfortable possession football, especially in the lower leagues where is generally much more scrappy. (there are currently 9 teams in the Championship with <70% pass completion)

How this has resulted in teams hitting 90%+ consistently, with average players racking up 95%+ across a whole season is an absolutely absurd. How has that got by the testing team? 

I'm currently playing with Cefn Druids in Welsh Premier and one-twos, passes combinations and playing into space is no different than top league clubs... really non-believable.

Also experincing ball hitting the crossbar too much, and crowd volume always like we're playing at San Siro with 100% attendance (last match had  ony 126 fans...)

6 minutes ago, gggfunk said:

Any idea when the new winter update will be out? Is is usually at the beginning of February or later?

SI has never announced updates before they are out, so no one knows. The big winter update is often at the end of the transfer window, so often early February, but as I said, we don't know anything before it happens.

9 hours ago, XaW said:

Yeah, pretty much all higher level divisions will be a bit strange for the 2022/23 season.

Ok thanks! I saw the La Liga table (I manage in the bottom tier of Spain) begin taking shape by the end of August and began to worry! 

• Administrators
4 hours ago, dannyfc said:

What's annoying is increased passing errors was specifically called out as a key improvement this year. I was excited about as in previous games it's far too easy to play comfortable possession football, especially in the lower leagues where is generally much more scrappy. (there are currently 9 teams in the Championship with <70% pass completion)

How this has resulted in teams hitting 90%+ consistently, with average players racking up 95%+ across a whole season is an absolutely absurd. How has that got by the testing team? 

We've said this a few times before, but the ME is all about balance, trying to get something that plays like real life football, takes into account the differing quality levels and also outputs realistic stats/results and everything else. Can assure you any 'stat' which isn't in line with real life is very much known, but bringing it in line without making something else appear unusual or more unrealistic is extremely difficult. There's not a dial to say 'less accurate passes' or 'more accurate shots' etc, it really is balancing every little thing ties into everything else. 

It's about discovering the reasons why that's happening - say too often players are playing quick passes in safe areas for instance - and working out how to improve that without causing an imbalance. But please don't just point the finger at the testing team, as can assure you they, alongside the match team coders are more critical of our engine than anyone. We're all working for the same goal mind - the most realistic representation of football possible. And with each version more is worked and improved on, both visibly and under the hood to achieve that goal. 

So I'm three seasons in and generally a fan of the game. I think my key points of frustrations are mainly things that actually came in last year.

• I hate the 'emoji' way of displaying body language. Hate it. The faces aren't intuitive so I either need the body language list on the tablet or I have to click on the player to find out what 'purple face with a slightly angled straight line mouth' actually means. This needs to be something the user can choose- either emoji or text.
  • Same with the hearts. Again, at top level football I don't buy clubs don't have better data for how fit a player is. Lower leagues fine, top level, no chance. Just weird that this part of the game has gone oddly simplistic while the rest continues to get more complex
  • My single biggest bugbear though is the lack of useable feedback in game. If I'm losing I feel like I've got little to no idea why. If the team isn't creating chances there is no useful feedback until halftime to give any insight into why, which means I'm often making changes with little to no idea as to whether  they are actually correct. I shouldn't need to watch full games to have any idea what is going on with my team.

No doubt the game is better than 20, the last game I really played but these carryovers from 21 are just bad in my opinion.

Bought FM22 just before Christmas and am slowly getting through my first season with Athletico Madrid.  Somehow I assumed we'd have a lot more money than we actually do and so I am struggling, 5th in the  league with 10 games left but miles off the top 3.  I just draw half my games.  Anyway, the youth intake has just come through and it looks pretty decent, but all the top 3 (1 x 5 star potential and 2 x 4.5 star) won't negotiate a contract without a minimum release clause.  Basically if another club wanted to take my 3 potentially World Class youngsters from me, I'd have less than £35m to show for it.  My scouts are recommending players at C- with much less potential than that at £50m+ each.  Is this something that others have found?  Should I just scout newgens from across the leagues and hoover them up if they have low release clauses?

17 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

We've said this a few times before, but the ME is all about balance, trying to get something that plays like real life football, takes into account the differing quality levels and also outputs realistic stats/results and everything else. Can assure you any 'stat' which isn't in line with real life is very much known, but bringing it in line without making something else appear unusual or more unrealistic is extremely difficult. There's not a dial to say 'less accurate passes' or 'more accurate shots' etc, it really is balancing every little thing ties into everything else. 

It's about discovering the reasons why that's happening - say too often players are playing quick passes in safe areas for instance - and working out how to improve that without causing an imbalance. But please don't just point the finger at the testing team, as can assure you they, alongside the match team coders are more critical of our engine than anyone. We're all working for the same goal mind - the most realistic representation of football possible. And with each version more is worked and improved on, both visibly and under the hood to achieve that goal. 

Thanks Neil, I do get your point that it isn't as simplistic as moving a set of dials or sliders for the desired result. I also appreciate AI is incredibly complex, and the FM games still remain a class apart in that respect.

That said, the passing mechanics are still significantly flawed in my eyes and a regression for previous years. Being comfortable in possession is one of the clearest markers of how effectively player can perform at the highest level, and that simply isn't the case in the current version. It's what elevates the likes of Xavi, Pirlo, Busquets above other players despite lacking in other attributes.

To see lower league cloggers rack up similar stats both ruins immersion, devalues the importance of these types of players and  squad building. From a tactical perspective playing out from the back is what every team aspires to, but very few can implement without risk. That risk is completely nullified with current accuracy.

If it wasn't workable due to overall ME balance then fair enough. But why was it promoted in the marketing videos as key feature when it ultimately regressed from last year?

Em 30/12/2021 em 07:34, XaW disse:

Meu IF fazendo o que espero de um IF! Acho que precisa acontecer com mais frequência, mas é, no mínimo, possível.

tB1pMmm.gif

Perfect !
The game must reproduce such movements and plays when the characteristics of the players are in accordance and especially our instructions...

I really liked this move!

I've been playing a lot this end of the year and I realize that the game has varied plays, but it seems that certain players are patterned to make plays that don't result in anything like crosses on top of the defense, dribbling always from the ends that's the worst thing about ME . I believe we would all like more dribbling, individual plays consistent with the players' characteristics. If Sigames changes this, ME will be quite perfect!

Another issue I have spotted which has been present in multiple previous versions of the game:

Under 'Staff > Responsibilities > Media', I have all options set to my Assistant Manager, but I still get "Question from ... " in my Inbox and there seems to be no way to prevent this spam from being in your Inbox.

You can filter your Inbox to remove Media messages, but this filter isn't permanent and soon as you continue the filter will be reset.

Again, another issue I have spotted which has been present in multiple previous versions of the game:

Scouting update (I use the list format):

• No option to set a scout task other than 'Fully Scout Player'. There should be some option available to continue to scout a player. For example why can't I scout a player for 1 week (which is my default option for 'When you scout a player, watch him: For 1 Week' under 'Staff > Responsibilities > Scouting'), this option is available if I right click on the player.

• If I select a list of players and one or more of the players already have a scouting task assigned to them the 'Scout Player / Fully Scout Player' button is greyed out and you can't click it. However, if I select a list of players then right click any scouting option is available to be selected. 

Both of the above issues make the 'Scouting update' a chore to use for me since it denies functionality that should be readily available, the result being that you are better off mostly ignoring the 'Scouting update' and using 'Player Search' and custom filters instead.

Edited by zbprhhxhteqi
accidentally submitted before finished