Football Manager 2020 - Feature Announcement Blogs

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Towards the end of his string of tweets, Miles says: 'we need the time we need to get what is a set of very complicated features ready'

Is he referring to the headline features already announced? If so, I seriously need to educate myself with regard to what constitutes complicated.

Some of the posts in here have been pretty poor, and the digs and insults need to stop now, otherwise infractions and bans will follow. For all the talk about respecting people, a lot of you have shown precious little yourselves in the last few hours, if you cannot post politely, you won't be posting at all. Please bear that in mind before you start typing

Completely legitimate question. How does the team think the development cycle and feature pushing/selection would be influenced by one real competitor in the market? What would the approach be? How would it be different? Surely you must have a plan if something like that happens. Really curious on an answer

13 minutes ago, Lexis said:

Completely legitimate question. How does the team think the development cycle and feature pushing/selection would be influenced by one real competitor in the market? What would the approach be? How would it be different? Surely you must have a plan if something like that happens. Really curious on an answer

At no point is anyone from SI going to tell you internal plans. Let's stop derailing the thread 

13 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Some of the posts in here have been pretty poor, and the digs and insults need to stop now, otherwise infractions and bans will follow. For all the talk about respecting people, a lot of you have shown precious little yourselves in the last few hours, if you cannot post politely, you won't be posting at all. Please bear that in mind before you start typing

Whilst I agree with what you say and have skipped so many pointless posts that rinse and repeat in their negativity or naivety, you are in danger of sounding like FIFA. All talk no action? I realise that your time is free as mods and I support what you do and your fairness but this thread needs pruning and repeats need to be deleted.

How many times has it been said re demos/pre-orders and the ability to get a refund yet it seems to go over the head of a lot of posters!

Good luck and keep up the sterling work. :)

14 hours ago, herne79 said:

It doesn't make it easier.  As I said above, specific examples are needed.  More often than not that means match pkms (plural) with relevant timings indicated during those matches when issues occur or improvements are sought.

So when you say "GKs coming off the line to clear a loose ball (esp if i play a high line and GK Sweeper)" (for example) it's meaningless without demonstrating specific examples of when during matches the GK should be coming off his line.  Without specifics it's nothing more than discussion, opinion or hyperbole but nothing for the developers to actually get their teeth into.  That's not to say they may not already be working on similar issues, but if you want specific things improved (and you clearly do as we apparently only have less than 50% of a game so far) you need to deal in specifics.  "Players tussling" is not specific.

There can never be too many reports.  In fact the more reports there are, the higher the chances become of the issue getting a higher priority.

As I understand it all theballstopshere is asking for is more of the fundamentals that make up a game of football, not pointing out bugs. If the team at SI need consumers to send them specific examples of the lack of these types of instances to me that is quite worrying.

16 minutes ago, AndersBC said:

As I understand it all theballstopshere is asking for is more of the fundamentals that make up a game of football, not pointing out bugs. If the team at SI need consumers to send them specific examples of the lack of these types of instances to me that is quite worrying.

This is the thing though, it really isn't just as simple as asking for more fundamentals.

Sticking with the GK example of coming off his line to clear loose balls, there is a wealth of considerations that need to be made to code when this should and shouldn't be happening:

• What role does the keeper have?
  • What PPMs does the keeper have?
  • What individual instructions does the keeper have?
  • What attributes? Anticipation, reactions, pace, acceleration etc.
  • What team instructions are there? Defensive line etc

Then theres match situation:

• Where's the ball?
  • Where's it going?
  • How fast?
  • Where are the defenders?
  • Where are the attackers?

These are just off the top of my head, there's probably more. But when other people who are taking the time to feed these things back (and in the right place), why should the devs take priority of one person just giving a very general piece of feedback in GD, over the stuff that's coming in through the correct channels with more actionable data?

That's not to say that any of what he's feeding back is wrong, or that the game can't be improved (something everyone here including SI want - the best possible game), some of his points I agree with, but there is just a better way of doing it which is more likely to get engagement from SI.

23 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Match engine footage is usually one of the last things you see before the beta release tbh. 

Last year perhaps but there was match footage for FM18 in September and further back in FM11 the release date was 5th November and there was match footage on 11th August

16 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

ll could be done in an update but trying to make out its a feature....

You realise every game that ever comes out and has sequels and updates involves a proccess of adding things at a time and not all at once, wouldn't that render the whole game useless after its initial use... literally everything that you've ever used goes through the same things. Phones are a great example, consoles are a great example, heck you could say anything thats technology has done the exact same. These features may not be useful to you or some others but they will be for some. Honestly just don't buy the game, your opinion to openly criticise its strcture will only help yourself where as others who have constantly worked on it make them feel down or even those that play it. Keep it to yourself, if you want to critique it do it without calling them all out and actually have evidence of your claims. Your point is your opinion and that's it. FM20 hasn't even been played yet, we'll see how far it goes and see if it's useful when we all have a chance to make judgement of it. 

FYI I didnt like fm19 and stopped playing it, the features were good but implimented wrongly IMO and i haven't outspoken. What does it take to have a little gratitude towards the thing you like?? 

15 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Towards the end of his string of tweets, Miles says: 'we need the time we need to get what is a set of very complicated features ready'

Is he referring to the headline features already announced? If so, I seriously need to educate myself with regard to what constitutes complicated.

If you can't understand what he would mean by complicated in this sense, then yeah, you probably should.

Is there some reason that all the news seems to be on Twitter and not on this forum ? Why does not Miles convey the news on here . Not everyone like myself have Twitter and I find it a bit weird that the only news I am seeing is someone posting screen shots from Twitter . Is this not the main forum ? 

2 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Is there some reason that all the news seems to be on Twitter and not on this forum ? Why does not Miles convey the news on here . Not everyone like myself have Twitter and I find it a bit weird that the only news I am seeing is someone posting screen shots from Twitter . Is this not the main forum ? 

Social media is just more popular. Most likely a marketing reason to announce it there. 

10 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

#FM20Features Previous player partnerships have been added into tactics. So players at a club who've got an established partnership will appear in-game and if you reunite two players who have played well together previously, they may still have a connection

This seems like a great add-on (don't know if it's really a feature). 
I'm also hoping some partnerships already exist when you start a game. If I start a new game with Ajax, where 90% of the team is the same as last year (and 60% as two years ago), I don't want to see all red player links. 

21 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

#FM20Features Previous player partnerships have been added into tactics. So players at a club who've got an established partnership will appear in-game and if you reunite two players who have played well together previously, they may still have a connection

This is great if it "remembers" for their whole career. I assume it will just take into account from the moment you start the game, so not retrospective. 

20 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

Very nice. So, you won't have to "build" a relationship that's already there.

23 minutes ago, Bakiano said:

In #FM20, owners now consider the international break as a point where it may make sense to replace a manager #FM20Features

This is a cool realistic feature.

2 hours ago, BigV said:

You realise every game that ever comes out and has sequels and updates involves a proccess of adding things at a time and not all at once, wouldn't that render the whole game useless after its initial use... literally everything that you've ever used goes through the same things. Phones are a great example, consoles are a great example, heck you could say anything thats technology has done the exact same. These features may not be useful to you or some others but they will be for some. Honestly just don't buy the game, your opinion to openly criticise its strcture will only help yourself where as others who have constantly worked on it make them feel down or even those that play it. Keep it to yourself, if you want to critique it do it without calling them all out and actually have evidence of your claims. Your point is your opinion and that's it. FM20 hasn't even been played yet, we'll see how far it goes and see if it's useful when we all have a chance to make judgement of it. 

FYI I didnt like fm19 and stopped playing it, the features were good but implimented wrongly IMO and i haven't outspoken. What does it take to have a little gratitude towards the thing you like?? 

Not true - I would say there was big jump from FM18-19 with the whole training add ons and the new tactics was all at once. It wasn't a process. If you are referring to things like social media and the dynamics stuff then yes i agree with your point. My point is that there are pressing issues that have been voiced for YEARS. Good management would prioritise  a set of features instead of adding little by little to small areas of the game. The reason why this is the case is because there is no competition in this market. 

Lets be clear, the game is for the fans and as a fan i have every right to say if the game isn't meeting expectations especially when im expected to pay £40.  Im not here to critique without merit, i want the game to be th best as it it could so any argument to say that im here just for myself has no basis.I am making judgements based on their headline features - this is the sell to consumer to convince them to buy the game- whats changed and whats improved - I given my analysis of the "features".  

My feelings are not alone in this, do you expect all negative criticisms silenced as not to hurt the developers feelings? Thats like saying "oh everyone stop saying glazers out because its hurting their feelings"...

Yes i don't have the  obligation to buy the game but where does that leave me? There is no substitute for this game. Its like saying i like my MacBook air but apple won't improve the screen, i guess i should just be happy then ....

3 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Good management would prioritise  a set of features instead of adding little by little to small areas of the game. The reason why this is the case is because there is no competition in this market. 

Career mode in FIFA has hardly changed in about 5 years now (apart from getting worse) - Yet EA have serious competition from PES every year. 

I'm pleased that we have finally got a release date. The fact that it's later than previous years is a bit worrying, especially with the lack of match engine videos. But I'm sure they know what they're doing...

I personally feel that SI need to have a 'break' for a year or two and, instead of churning out a new game every November, release a season update and ME tweak. Then when they have done that, they will have longer to concentrate on bringing out a more polished title that they can release in time for next season's start date, and not an annual one that consists of a few minor upgrades and a ropey ME. 

Edited by Bothan Spy
Misspelling

All the critique on forum is just silly. If you’re here and you don’t love this game, I need your job. If you have experience in sports simulation games, you must know this is right at the top. Sure it has flaws but to continually insist that the team isn’t constantly working to produce a better product every year is just silly. To simplify the effort it takes to implement both major and minor features and improvements is ignorant.

that’s the extent of my soap box. 

for site mods. Would there be an opportunity to open a locked thread that contains all updated reveal information. Hard to keep track of all announcements on all different medium while sitting through community commentary. Thank you

This new small features announced look nice. Also good social strategy in those revealings. Still looks like an update to FM19 instead of a new version, but that's exactly why I pre-ordered FM20 (for my "love" of FM19 welcoming any updates).

All these new things will be useful and give us a better playing experience. Just it's nothing compared to FM19's revamped tactic and training modules.

Edited by 99

24 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Career mode in FIFA has hardly changed in about 5 years now (apart from getting worse) - Yet EA have serious competition from PES every year. 

i don't really play fifa but they have added that story mode just 3 years ago....

Also i would argue that career mode is not the core of the game - I would say online play and ultimate team is 

And because they have competition they do have had to improve the game in a much ore than FM's "lets move a feature we already have in setting goals and call it club vision and call it a feature" 

Look at it this year- free kicks reworked,  active dynamics in attack,  the way shooting has changed significantly over the last few years. This is a game which knows what its core product is and focuses on that and because its much bigger and more profitable can afford to do a lot more around the edges. 

I have never asked for radical changes, i've always wanted polish. You have argued that the new features have improved the depth of gameplay. I argue that other than the development centre they have just moved things around. Staff changes, visions and pathway are all features that have already existed but have been put more forefront (e.g. club vision is basically the same system we have now since all he pictures show the exact same things we were already getting graded on in FM19 but now we get letter gradings and a monthly email) or theres been tweaks. 

My argument is that these are basic additions and improvements not headline. 

Example - Iphone

Headline - New triple camera system

Not headline - Face ID works at more angles 

Headline - OLED screen

Update - Better battery life 

Actually, at first I was pretty disappointed with the absence of big, new features. But then, I came to think, that it actually might be a good thing. Maybe this means, that they have put their energy into optimizing existing features and the match engine, so we might actually get a game worth playing this year. I was vastly disappointed with FM19, but I am cautiously optimistic about FM20 for those exact reasons.

34 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

i don't really play fifa but they have added that story mode just 3 years ago....

Which is laughably bad.  I wanted to like it, but...Christ it's awful.

34 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Also i would argue that career mode is not the core of the game - I would say online play and ultimate team is 

They've made career mode worse, which is poor no matter what the core of the game is.  They're also demonstrably driven by pure profit to a far more insane degree than a company like SI are.  Not the best comparison to use.

36 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

And because they have competition they do have had to improve the game in a much ore than FM's "lets move a feature we already have in setting goals and call it club vision and call it a feature" 

Look at it this year- free kicks reworked,  active dynamics in attack,  the way shooting has changed significantly over the last few years. This is a game which knows what its core product is and focuses on that and because its much bigger and more profitable can afford to do a lot more around the edges. 

Yes, they've reworked those things.  They've also arguably made it worse.  A lot of it is changes that really didn't need to be made.  Maybe to appease people who think that just saying something is new is enough.

What @Dagenham_Dave said was right.  EA has had far more realistic competition than SI ever have, and yet they are continually criticised as one of the worst developers/publishers out there.  Granted, that's hyperbolic nonsense, but it's a shining example of why this whole competition argument is so, so simplistic and shortsighted.

37 minutes ago, aj6658 said:

Example - Iphone

Headline - New triple camera system

Not headline - Face ID works at more angles 

Headline - OLED screen

Update - Better battery life 

That's really, really, really not a good comparison.  Software development is a completely different idea, particularly on a game that's decades old and already has pretty much everything you could realistically ask for in the genre.

5 minutes ago, forameuss said:

Which is laughably bad.  I wanted to like it, but...Christ it's awful.

They've made career mode worse, which is poor no matter what the core of the game is.  They're also demonstrably driven by pure profit to a far more insane degree than a company like SI are.  Not the best comparison to use.

Again haven't played it so can't comment on it but again not the core game and that does matter. You buy products because the core delivers the needs you want from it, anything around it is extra. The core of the game is the in game mechanics, People do not buy FIFA just for story mode, its an add on so its quality is inconsequential. Its like going the iPod nano is great but the games suck...

Yes, they've reworked those things.  They've also arguably made it worse.  A lot of it is changes that really didn't need to be made.  Maybe to appease people who think that just saying something is new is enough.

What @Dagenham_Dave said was right.  EA has had far more realistic competition than SI ever have, and yet they are continually criticised as one of the worst developers/publishers out there.  Granted, that's hyperbolic nonsense, but it's a shining example of why this whole competition argument is so, so simplistic and shortsighted.

"to improve is to change, to perfect is to change often" - Churchill and it is true. No system is perfect,  stagnation sets in. They have to change because its becomes stagnant and they are competing with PES. 

People who say that competition argument is short-sighted really don't understand it. i do cos i have an economics degree. If FM had a real competitor things like AI transfers and ME would be on the forefront of what they do because that's the core product. Im not arguing that its just competition before you go off on one but i am saying it is a factor. E.g. UK rail has little real competition meaning prices increase but service is worse.

That's really, really, really not a good comparison.  Software development is a completely different idea, particularly on a game that's decades old and already has pretty much everything you could realistically ask for in the genre.

Yes, well done, making an iPhone is different from making game. You really, really, really, missed the point... My point is that there is a difference between HEADLINE features and other features/updates. I have mentioned several times the updates are welcome but as the only thing we are given a month before release as the key reasons to buy the game this year is laughable. 

"could realistically ask for..." Hrmmm hasn't fixed AI transfers. If i have 6 offers for a player they usually all the same offer. Yes they put in a lot of what could ask for in the game but theres a difference between concept and implementation and improvement. 

If apple came out and said the iPhone 12 has better battery life, face ID works at more angles, its more water resistant and comes in more colours. The stock would take a hit, because those don't warrant the upgrade.  This is my point, the features they have announced as the key headlines are poor.