Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, RocheBag said:

It's not about tempo it's about mentally itself. I play cautious with much higher tempo and my team doesn't punt the ball forward. 

Attacking mentality increases risk. 

But the point is the mentality is about choosing the way you want to play. In real terms cautious would be the equivalent to the old style counter and not "control/dominate" games... the temp thing really winds me up, playing wide with short passing and high tempo doesn't work at all. you literally have to go narrow for it to work properly but if you pick attacking the width bar literally shows 1 narrow type and others are wide play. Imagine playing higher, quick tempo passing and not working with an amazing squad, The risk is there to make those chances and to make them count. Seen several tactics using lower tempo to recreate pep's tactics or some other that involves possession, city play quick and wide and make it work but nahhh the LVG style works perfect, cause we all know how that worked out... 

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, BigV said:

But the point is the mentality is about choosing the way you want to play. In real terms cautious would be the equivalent to the old style counter and not "control/dominate" games... the temp thing really winds me up, playing wide with short passing and high tempo doesn't work at all. you literally have to go narrow for it to work properly but if you pick attacking the width bar literally shows 1 narrow type and others are wide play. Imagine playing higher, quick tempo passing and not working with an amazing squad, The risk is there to make those chances and to make them count. Seen several tactics using lower tempo to recreate pep's tactics or some other that involves possession, city play quick and wide and make it work but nahhh the LVG style works perfect, cause we all know how that worked out... 

I agree it makes no sense, I was just clarifying for the original poster that its down to mentality not tempo.

On 25/11/2018 at 03:40, Deisler26 said:

2022 all local team

I just took to the field to play a game with this team. Afterwards there wasn't one mention of the fact that we played with an XI purely from the town that my team is in. Bearing in mind, this place has the same population as Maldon in Essex.

Surely, the game should recognise this fact? I mean, it used to recognise that the AI teams were playing with an entirely homegrown side, so why not mentioned a player's team when an event like this happens. Maybe even a Steam achievement

Please log this in the feature requests forum.

I agree that the game should notice stuff like this, but this is incredibly niche. So much so I've never heard of this happening before in real life, or by anyone else playing the game! Please bear in mind that the more unusual a case is, the lower priority it is for the team to work on. So while we'd love to have the game recognise every little thing the user does, sometimes other things need to take priority. If it's popped in the feature request forums it'll make its way to our databases and we can try to look into getting this done for a future version. Cheers.

I'm playing Touch but this really applies to the Tactics element of the game as I believe it's exactly the same in the full game. I've been playing FM since '93 and enjoyed it a lot but when the slider system was introduced, it lost me. I couldn't get my head around it. Then the Tactical Creator was implemented which was a bit better but I still struggled. This new system introduced is so much better. The presets are all there for how I want to play and all I need to do is adjust roles and sometimes duties. No longer do I need to go to the tactical forum or watch videos to understand how tactics work or how to implement them. I can now just adjust things depending on the opposition or how the match is going. Some veterans might now think the game is too easy (it might be if I'm doing well) but for me it's almost perfect. Tactics drove me nuts before but now I completely understand them. I may never win the league but at least I understand what's going on with the tactics now.

Why am i still getting the stupid question that acts like an international break is a break from fixtures completely? The biggest problem with press conferences is how little effort has gone into them.

Suggestion: Have a thread where forum users can answer the questions (and offer suggestions for questions) from press conferences. Use them to get a grasp of how diverse each person would answer a single question and use the answers given to increase the choices available at press conferences. There should be at least 10 choices imo.

I hate press conferences but its not worth skipping because assistants have a tendency to answer something stupid.

Edited by RobertPage

2 hours ago, RobertPage said:

Why am i still getting the stupid question that acts like an international break is a break from fixtures completely? The biggest problem with press conferences is how little effort has gone into them.

Suggestion: Have a thread where forum users can answer the questions (and offer suggestions for questions) from press conferences. Use them to get a grasp of how diverse each person would answer a single question and use the answers given to increase the choices available at press conferences. There should be at least 10 choices imo.

I hate press conferences but its not worth skipping because assistants have a tendency to answer something stupid.

It's not just about having more options to click. They need to actually affect things, which is why it is trimmed down.

I've been giving PCs to my assistant for the most part in the last 2 or 3 versions. This is through the lowest league to the top. They're all yet to say even 1 stupid thing.

4 hours ago, Glenn Wakeford said:

Please log this in the feature requests forum.

I agree that the game should notice stuff like this, but this is incredibly niche. So much so I've never heard of this happening before in real life, or by anyone else playing the game! Please bear in mind that the more unusual a case is, the lower priority it is for the team to work on. So while we'd love to have the game recognise every little thing the user does, sometimes other things need to take priority. If it's popped in the feature request forums it'll make its way to our databases and we can try to look into getting this done for a future version. Cheers.

Thanks man. As for the bolded part? Middlesbrough did it once in 2008

49 minutes ago, Deisler26 said:

Thanks man. As for the bolded part? Middlesbrough did it once in 2008

Not going to go back and find the original post you put, but I'd file it under the huge list of things FM could do better to actually give some life and context to the gameworld.  Context is something the game has always struggled with.  You have billions of "states" the game database can be in at any one moment, but there's rarely any sort of link raised to the player as to what those states really "mean".

Like yours, a bit of a news item saying that there's this homegrown team is something easily derived from data it has.  You've got 2 managers with "beef", but outside of stale press conference soundbites, there isn't really much more to it.  The last time you played a team, they pumped you 7-1, but that doesn't really come up with any kind of impact the next time you meet.  Thousands of little things that could make a difference and add some life.

Granted this kind of thing can easily balloon, and would likely need a far more sophisticated AI, but it's a long-term direction I'd like to see the game go in.  It can be an incredibly sterile environment sometimes.

22 hours ago, pauly15 said:

To be fair though, that clip is hilarious. 

Are you on the public beta ME? Those two issues seem to be resolved for me.

Not on public beta, 19.1.5 - so hopefully this will be better when 19.2 is released. More or less everything is wrong in that clip, even the GK makes his dive before the attacker have received the ball.....

The game desperately needs streamlining of the interface used for player interactions. Perhaps the ability to do them in bulk? Having to click a drop down three levels deep on each and every player one by one to praise their training in order to build up a close relationship with them is just tedious.

7 minutes ago, Domathon said:

can we expect an ME update BEFORE the classic winter transfer update we usually get around feb?

If you want one early, maybe consider joining the public beta. They've already received updates.

3 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

If you want one early, maybe consider joining the public beta. They've already received updates.

Out of curiosity - what's the timespan between a patch issued exclusively for a public beta gamers and the same patch given to other gamers?

1 minute ago, skam said:

Out of curiosity - what's the timespan between a patch issued exclusively for a public beta gamers and the same patch given to other gamers?

I can't tell you as I don't know. It's for SI to decide when to release an official update.

2 minutes ago, skam said:

Just now, HUNT3R said:

I can't tell you as I don't know. It's for SI to decide when to release an official update.

Yeah, there's really no time scale. As you saw with the mini updates earlier, it was a couple of days. This is a much bigger update, and there may be additions to the current beta. So as Hunt3r says, its when SI decide they are happy to release

12 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Yeah, there's really no time scale. As you saw with the mini updates earlier, it was a couple of days. This is a much bigger update, and there may be additions to the current beta. So as Hunt3r says, its when SI decide they are happy to release

So it's best to sign up for public beta I guess  :thup:

7 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

On the qualification that it is a beta. with all the caveats of instability etc

Sc.ew instability :)  I only really want for my deep lying forward on support to play like one, not like an AF on attack duty.

And my Libero on support not to behave like a regular defender on defend duty.

And my fullbacks not to wait with a cross for an opponent to come close just to try to break their legs with the ball.

All all of the ninja-style slide tackles from the rear to finally stop or become awarded with red cards.

And my centerback set on defend with shorter passing and less risk not to try play Xavi-like hoof through balls all the time.

Edited by skam

1 hour ago, skam said:

Sc.ew instability :)  I only really want for my deep lying forward on support to play like one, not like an AF on attack duty.

And my Libero on support not to behave like a regular defender on defend duty.

And my fullbacks not to wait with a cross for an opponent to come close just to try to break their legs with the ball.

All all of the ninja-style slide tackles from the rear to finally stop or become awarded with red cards.

And my centerback set on defend with shorter passing and less risk not to try play Xavi-like hoof through balls all the time.

As we all do my friend, I'm gonna join up today and get the best out of it cause it's basically a test for the next big update. Helping them provide the best feedback with many people helping will cause the game to be as good as gold, the updates on the public beta from certain reactions is that most of the poor stuff we see is kinda sorted and they're tweaking minor things. One guy said it was similar to the beta which in my opinion was good in terms of ME. 

Do wonder what year it'll be when SI finally take a look at PPM's. So many nonsensical ones that shouldn't even exist (are you telling me with a straight face that I can't demand a professional footballer at a top European league to not make forward runs or to not attempt to shoot from distance on sight?) and above all the horrible implementation as part of training. 8 times out of 10 traits cannot be removed and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, and some of them are completely destructive and never desirable - looking at you, Shoots From Distance and Likes to Beat Offside Trap (the latter will repeatedly tank your striker's ratings and see him rack up a frankly ludicrous amount of offsides every season, I'm talking 4-5 times per game, regardless of attributes. Been an issue for years and years). I know for a fact from my years at the forum that many players completely write off any player with these traits as a potential signing because they know full well they can't be removed and have not a single upside, why are we at this point?

All this is further compounded by traits being far too common in general, this is on the DB researchers moreso than SI. Too many players with stacked up traits, many of them outright wrong, especially amongst the top players, this just serves to ironically make the top players the most difficult to get to do what you want. 

So that's my feedback for the day. Please, SI, it's high time to look at PPM's. 

Edited by bar333

12 minutes ago, bar333 said:

Do wonder what year it'll be when SI finally take a look at PPM's. So many nonsensical ones that shouldn't even exist (are you telling me with a straight face that I can't demand a professional footballer at a top European league to not make forward runs or to not attempt to shoot from distance on sight?) and above all the horrible implementation as part of training. 8 times out of 10 traits cannot be removed and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it, and some of them are completely destructive and never desirable - looking at you, Shoots From Distance and Likes to Beat Offside Trap (the latter will repeatedly tank your striker's ratings and see him rack up a frankly ludicrous amount of offsides every season, I'm talking 4-5 times per game, regardless of attributes. Been an issue for years and years). I know for a fact from my years at the forum that many players completely write off any player with these traits as a potential signing because they know full well they can't be removed and have not a single upside, why are we at this point?

All this is further compounded by traits being far too common in general, this is on the DB researchers moreso than SI. Too many players with stacked up traits, many of them outright wrong, especially amongst the top players, this just serves to ironically make the top players the most difficult to get to do what you want. 

So that's my feedback for the day. Please, SI, it's high time to look at PPM's. 

I don't understand the point of posting these kind of comments here, this is the feedback thread in general. If there is an issue that you feel strongly about, don't get frustrated by posting it here. I mean, ok, so if you need an Aunty Agony corner to vent your frustrations fine. However in the long run, if you see any players who have PPMs that seem contradictory or perhaps even unrealistic, post it in the DB thread with more information. That way they can be addressed. Doing it here, isn't going to magically make PPMs better.

Is this not feedback? While I have an issue with PPM's being too common that isn't really the core point. I pointed out what I think is wrong with PPM's, this isn't just venting. I think many of them (with a special focus on most movement-related PPM's) shouldn't really exist in their current form as they don't really make sense. And I pointed out that in my experience getting rid of PPM's is far too difficult and too often simply can't be done at all. 

This is feedback on something that FM19 could have changed (it's long overdue) but didn't. I hope SI take a look at it for next year.

Just played a game with the latest beta ME. As usual could not break through the deep block of Stoke City (I am Chelsea), they defended like Greece in 2004. Of course, conceded an obligatory goal from corner and lost. However, what shocks me is the passing of Stoke. They attempted almost 500 passes with 80% pass completion. Seriously, do attributes mean anything in this game? I watched a full sequence of the match and if I did not know it was Stoke, I would have thought I was playing against Barcelona. There is absolutely zero difference between world class and mediocre players. They all play the same.

This isn't a moan, but has something been changed regarding injuries with latest beta update?

I only ask as I love the training and started new save after last update carrying on doing what I've been doing with training, bit extra here and there and now I'm being hammered with in game injuries and training injuries, not minors but months worth of injuries, I lost main striker first day of preseason for a 2 weeks and then 6 months within week of his return. I lost my strikers in 3 consecutive matches to injury only one was minor. I'm not moaning or crying about it, as it's the first time with fm19 I've had any real injury issues, it could be I'm on an unlucky run, but 5 games into season 21 total injuries and upto 7 months is a lot, currently 4 out for 6 weeks-5 months, as I say not moaning, in fact it's an extra challenge, but am guessing training influence and injuries has been tweaked. It's still keeping me interested and won't change my training habits, as I like the results they produce, but I can't see anything about injuries in release notes, so was wondering if there have been any tweaks?

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Martin#:

Just played a game with the latest beta ME. As usual could not break through the deep block of Stoke City (I am Chelsea), they defended like Greece in 2004. Of course, conceded an obligatory goal from corner and lost. However, what shocks me is the passing of Stoke. They attempted almost 500 passes with 80% pass completion. Seriously, do attributes mean anything in this game? I watched a full sequence of the match and if I did not know it was Stoke, I would have thought I was playing against Barcelona. There is absolutely zero difference between world class and mediocre players. They all play the same.

I can confirm that pass completion is a bit too much in the current beta ME . here an example AI vs AI 

555d4d274563a7dece1b097ba62c88b9.png

It's not happening in every game tho . So i guess it also depends on your tactic , gegenpress etc. 

41 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

I can confirm that pass completion is a bit too much in the current beta ME . here an example AI vs AI 

555d4d274563a7dece1b097ba62c88b9.png

It's not happening in every game tho . So i guess it also depends on your tactic , gegenpress etc. 

What would really interest me is if there is actually a significant difference between teams. What I mean is, if I look at the stats in the PL I see the top team Manchester City sitting at 89,5% while the bottom team in terms of completed passes is Cardiff with just 64,2%. So there is quite a high difference between teams, highly depending on their playing style and quality of players. I feel that in FM it's never really displayed correctly with all teams sitting within 6% of each other, which at least to me is very frustrating to watch.

vor 7 Minuten schrieb Flohrinho:

What would really interest me is if there is actually a significant difference between teams. What I mean is, if I look at the stats in the PL I see the top team Manchester City sitting at 89,5% while the bottom team in terms of completed passes is Cardiff with just 64,2%. So there is quite a high difference between teams, highly depending on their playing style and quality of players. I feel that in FM it's never really displayed correctly with all teams sitting within 6% of each other, which at least to me is very frustrating to watch.

After 15 Matches played . place 15-20 

1c0bc6754349f0ece8758e6faf78343d.png

vor 5 Minuten schrieb Flohrinho:

And the top? Where are City and Chelsea who both have a very high passing success rate?

6a9adf753b58d2156ac7481e1ca5f016.png

Just been checking Stats from the match Man City - West Ham .  City won 4-0 . 53% !!! Possession . and a Pass completion of 91% . West Ham had 87 % !!! :idiot:

d4e3ade59e526a80e2b4e9be3982642d.png

Edited by haffaz77

28 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

6a9adf753b58d2156ac7481e1ca5f016.png

Just been checking Stats from the match Man City - West Ham .  City won 4-0 . 53% !!! Possession . and a Pass completion of 91% . West Ham had 87 % !!! :idiot:

d4e3ade59e526a80e2b4e9be3982642d.png

Well, this just proves my point. West Ham actually attempted more passes than city which is ridiculous. There is just not enough difference  between teams. I think that only physical attributes are really manifested in games. Technical and mental stats seem to have almost no effect on the way players play. Watch Messi or Suarez in the game and tell me that you see they are way better than the rest. You can´t, they are not.

The problem you're seeing is that poorer teams play on defensive/cautious mentality which means they make shorter, safer passes at a lower tempo.  I think this is why poor teams can sometimes get counterintuitively high possession and pass completion numbers.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb jujigatame:

To fix that problem they have to make pressing more effective.  Otherwise crap teams can artificially rack up possession and pass numbers.  If you improve pressing then bad teams will need to play more hoofball, which is more realistic.

That is so true . Right now i watched highlights of Barcelona vs Eibar . Barca won 5-0 and had 88% pass completion .. which is normal for barca . But Eibar hat 79% and MORE passes than Barca . That is ridiculous . 

763f026c699cfcb6b6b3a2cae211cd13.png

9 minutes ago, haffaz77 said:

That is so true . Right now i watched highlights of Barcelona vs Eibar . Barca won 5-0 and had 88% pass completion .. which is normal for barca . But Eibar hat 79% and MORE passes than Barca . That is ridiculous . 

763f026c699cfcb6b6b3a2cae211cd13.png

You'd probably also expect Barca to have more than 52% possession against Eibar, but that could always be a 1-off result.

18 minutes ago, jujigatame said:

To fix that problem they have to make pressing more effective.  Otherwise crap teams can artificially rack up possession and pass numbers.  If you improve pressing then bad teams will need to play more hoofball, which is more realistic.

that would be fantastics if both aspects could be improved but watching matches on full reveals that passing decisions and off the ball movement isn't replicated really well. on attacking mentalities, even positive (and higer tempo) there are far too many really horrible decisions being made, world class players not spoting three players infront of them etc. result is hoofball something you would excpect on lower mentalities, even back on FM17 you had high tempo, one-touch attacking football working nice, can't even imagine with this ME it would look like real football. without movement there's no passing options, and without passing options  there's nothing.

3 hours ago, jujigatame said:

Long-term issue. I went with barely conceding a Goal in the 2nd half on a prior release for months of in-game time. Guess how I did it. Btw. the defensive mentalities by default and untweaked actually encourage/d defenders to clear their lines. Basically, if you could put their instructions into words, they used to translate to: "Play it SAFE, but by all means, clear your lines when under pressure!". However, if they are barely pushed….

We've been arguing that looking beyond the simple stats FM offers is of paramount importance (it would be in football) for years. YOu'll get a much better understanding of what's happening. Connected to this: Pre-patch there was lots of talk About the Gegenpress Presets being overpowered. Interestingly, whenever somebody showed the interception Analysis, there were barely any recorded in the final third of the Opposition -- where you expect them to be, if it was actually the "Pressing" part of the "Gegenpress" being overpowered… 

Got a newgen with a bald heid in the picture yet black hair in game, it's not beta any more. Get the game in the bin.

My 33 year old CM captain thinks we are too weak in midfield. 11 points clear top of the table at xmas and he's only made about 3 sub appearances cos of how strong our midfield is. It's not beta any more.

"We come into this game 1st in the form table, whereas opposition are 2nd, let's show them why." 

47 minutes ago, oulzac said:

Anyone else seeing an insane amount of red cards?

No. Never have, not this year and not in previous years. The combination of closing down and tighter marking will always lead to cards; using 'get stuck in' or 'tackle harder' PIs just amplifies that.

25 minutes ago, Per Annum said:

Got a newgen with a bald heid in the picture yet black hair in game, it's not beta any more. Get the game in the bin.

My 33 year old CM captain thinks we are too weak in midfield. 11 points clear top of the table at xmas and he's only made about 3 sub appearances cos of how strong our midfield is. It's not beta any more.

"We come into this game 1st in the form table, whereas opposition are 2nd, let's show them why." 

He won't say you are too weak in midfield but that you lack depth in midfield. It's not (only) about quality, but mainly about quantity. 

8 minutes ago, KlaaZ said:

He won't say you are too weak in midfield but that you lack depth in midfield. It's not (only) about quality, but mainly about quantity. 

Nonetheless, both he and another 3.5 star don't play.

Edited by Per Annum

1 hour ago, Per Annum said:

Nonetheless, both he and another 3.5 star don't play.

It's a bug, reported by several people including me. Been told by SI staff this doesn't reproduce on 'latest code' which I assume would be the one of next patch.

6 hours ago, warlock said:

No. Never have, not this year and not in previous years. The combination of closing down and tighter marking will always lead to cards; using 'get stuck in' or 'tackle harder' PIs just amplifies that.

I don't get them myself either so I don't think something is hard coded into the game that makes them too common, but I see tons of red cards against me and in matches between the AI. Not at all uncommon to see 2+ red cards a game. I play with max pressing intensity and sometimes Get Stuck In as well and don't get them, so I'm not sure what the AI is doing but it's doing something weird that leads to this, the only thing I can see it being is they use Tackle Harder OI's whereas I rarely use OI's at all. 

Re: bookings/red Cards. Not sure to which extent this was corrected, but less than a release and a half ago, the referee's traits had a far bigger bearing on bookings than anything.

Basically, if you edited a ref to have below average Attributes in discipline, the barely awarded an average bookingn a match or two.

YvZvsmr.jpg

If you did vice versa, he awarded up to 5, 6 on average.

UHxEtRJ.jpg

So basically, how many cards a team would receive was hugely dependend on who was refereeing their Matches. In real Football, if you look at such statistics, the margins, as usual, are far thinner. Actually, the stats are fairly even for all refs, that is in their respective league competition. IIRC I first noticed and tested this on  FM 2015ish, in a save that took me to Australia. The Research had made it so that at the start of each save, the Attributes of the refs would be randomized (no discipline Rating given to most of them IIRC). By Chance I was "awarded" with a Wealth of Referees with below average discipline Ratings. As a consequence, not only didnÄt any Referee average more than 1, 2 bookings at best per match average come the end of Season. There were Teams that went with barely recording Five to ten bookings from the 30 Matches total... Simply by restarting that save, I might have gotten a totally different experience.

m0Hd1gr.jpg

Additionally, a Research into the game's database showed that different researches applied different standards when researching referees. In some countries, referees with above average to high discipline ratings were far more frequent than in others. Etc. The lesser reknown the league, the more likely the attributes were simply randomized at the start of a save. ' If some of this is still in place, it is no wonder that each player's experience may differ.

Edited by Svenc

vor 10 Stunden schrieb warlock:

AI vs AI matches .  There is definitely an issue with red cards