Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• SI Staff
On 01/12/2018 at 11:11, FlorianAlbert9 said:

One positive and One negative little feedback about transfer in little club.

POSITIVE: i'm playing in Hungary, third year, i have a good 18 yo regen (not a superstars player neither in Hungary, but a good one i think - i don't know his CA) His value is 350mā‚¬. He is followed by Arsenal, Napoli and Milan.Ā 

Milan arrived to offer 6,5M (only cash - thats more than 15x his value).

Ā 

NEGATIVE: that's anche old problem in all past FM, so i don't know if It is or no a bug.Ā 

Same player above, before the 6,5M offer.Ā 

Milan came with 1,5 offer, i refused.

Then they raised up to 3,7M cash and my board accept it. Ok, it's realistic ('cause it's more than my total balance)

But then Arsenal came with 1,9M and board accept it.Ā 

That's ridicolous, cause we can make double!

Seems that board set a minimum value, without be aware of all offers.

(Lucky i contest all, and board stop the sale, so then i refused also the 6,5M. That's will be a wrong decision i think...)

Ā 

16 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

I now have 500 hours playtime according to Steam and the game gets better and better each year.Ā  So my gripe in this post is minor and not game breaking, just very very annoying, especially as it has been in the game for a few years now and still hasn't been addressed.

Despite being VERY annoying, I like the feature of when the chairman accepts a bid for one of your players over your head.Ā  It is realistic and happens in real life, so I absolutely do not want this removed.Ā  But adjusted would be good.

For example.Ā  This just happened in my game.Ā  I am managing Kingstonian in League Two.Ā  Wigan made a bid for my best player, a teenage striker and I talked them up to Ā£1.3m cash (no add ons) plus a 50% sell on clause.Ā  I decline as I want Ā£1.5m+ (he has over 20 goals this season in 25 games and is rated as a Premier League player of the future).Ā  Wigan come back with a Ā£1.4m total package (Ā£975,000 up front, plus various add ons, plus only a 20% add on).Ā  The chairman accepts.

If that is such a good offer, why not accept the Ā£1.3m plus 50% over my head?Ā  He accepted a far inferior bid.

Like I said, no issues with the feature.Ā  But the implementation does my head in sometimes.

Thanks for the feedback.Ā 

If either of you have save games from just before this behaviour took place could you start a thread in the Transfer&Contract bugs forum below and we will take a look at the problem.Ā 

https://community.sigames.com/forum/662-transfers-contracts-and-scouting/

Cheers,

Ben

So I too skipped FM18. Actually really loved FM17 it was a good blend of high performance, streamlined gameplay and a decent engine. However... what the hell has happened to FM19?! Let's start:

- The UI is (whatever skin) very unpleasant. There is far too much information on the screen and too much writing now. It actually confuses me and I just end up skipping the majority of information screens because it gives me a headache.

- Scouting: OK it's more realistic, but the menus are cramped and it's, again, confusing and unintuitive. FM17 was much better.Ā 

- Match engine: looks worse, much more cramped and laggy than FM17. In fact graphics as a whole seem to be worse. Just looking at my FM17 manager model on the landing screen when you load up the game, the model (while dreadful) at least has crisp edges whereas FM19 looks like a Minecraft character. FM19 seems to be a big step backward on graphics (which isn't why I play but still).

- Training: I have no idea what the hell is going on. Watched a tutorial youtube video. I have no time for that amount of micromanagement.

- Player interactions/press conferences: No improvements, just MORE OF THE SAME ANNOYING RUBBISH. Within 2 hours I set it all to assman only. Improving it does not mean adding more of the same, it means taking what you have and making it entertaining, which it is not. Player meetings, tunnel interviews, media scrums, it's far too much now.

- Performance: I'm playing this on a 16gb RAM, Geforce 1060, I7 high performance processor. I play Monster Hunter World on high settings, Destiny 2 on ultra. Yet this game's menus are 'sticky'/laggy, the match engine as mentioned is less fluid and there seem to be less movements from the players, and the whole optimisation of FM19 is a big step backward.Ā 

-Tactics: why is everything so cramped ?! I just want to see what their conditions and playing positions are, yet everything is cramped up on the right, laggy and frankly irritating. Also, I find the tactics revamp very confusing.Ā 

I'm honestly not sure what's happened in two years but it seems to have moved away from a funĀ football sim to tedium. I understand the game is a simulation but the move towards realism shouldn't be at the expense of fun - which is why I play. I was on Discord with a friend while playing FM19 on Saturday and it honestly felt more like I was working than playing a game, and they even commented it sounded like I wasn't having fun (which I wasn't).

I tried enjoying it - I put 12 hours in. But something's been lost and I think it's actually regressed.

Ā 

EDIT - been playing since 2002. So long time fan here who is genuinely disappointed at this iteration

Edited by lordjanos

8 minutes ago, lordjanos said:

So I too skipped FM18. Actually really loved FM17 it was a good blend of high performance, streamlined gameplay and a decent engine. However... what the hell has happened to FM19?! Let's start:

- The UI is (whatever skin) very unpleasant. There is far too much information on the screen and too much writing now. It actually confuses me and I just end up skipping the majority of information screens because it gives me a headache.

- Scouting: OK it's more realistic, but the menus are cramped and it's, again, confusing and unintuitive. FM17 was much better.Ā 

- Match engine: looks worse, much more cramped and laggy than FM17. In fact graphics as a whole seem to be worse. Just looking at my FM17 manager model on the landing screen when you load up the game, the model (while dreadful) at least has crisp edges whereas FM19 looks like a Minecraft character. FM19 seems to be a big step backward on graphics (which isn't why I play but still).

- Training: I have no idea what the hell is going on. Watched a tutorial youtube video. I have no time for that amount of micromanagement.

- Player interactions/press conferences: No improvements, just MORE OF THE SAME ANNOYING RUBBISH. Within 2 hours I set it all to assman only. Improving it does not mean adding more of the same, it means taking what you have and making it entertaining, which it is not. Player meetings, tunnel interviews, media scrums, it's far too much now.

- Performance: I'm playing this on a 16gb RAM, Geforce 1060, I7 high performance processor. I play Monster Hunter World on high settings, Destiny 2 on ultra. Yet this game's menus are 'sticky'/laggy, the match engine as mentioned is less fluid and there seem to be less movements from the players, and the whole optimisation of FM19 is a big step backward.Ā 

-Tactics: why is everything so cramped ?! I just want to see what their conditions and playing positions are, yet everything is cramped up on the right, laggy and frankly irritating. Also, I find the tactics revamp very confusing.Ā 

I'm honestly not sure what's happened in two years but it seems to have moved away from a funĀ football sim to tedium. I understand the game is a simulation but the move towards realism shouldn't be at the expense of fun - which is why I play. I was on Discord with a friend while playing FM19 on Saturday and it honestly felt more like I was working than playing a game, and they even commented it sounded like I wasn't having fun (which I wasn't).

I tried enjoying it - I put 12 hours in. But something's been lost and I think it's actually regressed.

Ā 

EDIT - been playing since 2002. So long time fan here who is genuinely disappointed at this iteration

More realism in the management side of the game maybe, but as you say far less realism on the graphical side, very poor, it looks like something from about 15 years ago

Conversely, I've been playing since 1999 (if that's in any way relevant) and I am loving this year's version.

6 minutes ago, lordjanos said:

You can always leave that - and many other duties - to your assistant manager.

7 minutes ago, lordjanos said:

To be fair, a lot of media interaction in real life is just the same annoying rubbish churned out over and over again.Ā :D

I do like that I am getting rather more contextual questions at press conferences than previously. For instance, I was asked a question about having the same opponents on the opening day of this season as I did last (Lazio). I was also asked about my excellent record in opening rounds (admittedly, 2 wins from 2 - which is now 3 from 3 -Ā is not that much to go on).

10 minutes ago, lordjanos said:

I'm on a lower-spec machine that cannot even run Monster Hunter World and I'm not noticing too many problems. The game seems to run smoothly most of the time, though I do experience some lag when advancing between days, and also when I begin setting up a new game. That might be something I report on the bugs forum in the near-future.

7 minutes ago, lordjanos said:

I'm honestly not sure what's happened in two years but it seems to have moved away from a funĀ football sim to tedium. I understand the game is a simulation but the move towards realism shouldn't be at the expense of fun - which is why I play.ļ»æ

i'm a big fan of fm17 too but can't agree with 19 being more simulation or harder/more challenging, quite the opposite.

tactics wise fm17 was miles ahead with clearly defined styles, and beatiful football, i remember my first experience was ''wow how does AI achieve that?!''. good timesĀ when you could learn from AI..Ā 

1 hour ago, Mitja said:

i'm a big fan of fm17 too but can't agree with 19 being more simulation or harder/more challenging, quite the opposite.

tactics wise fm17 was miles ahead with clearly defined styles, and beatiful football, i remember my first experience was ''wow how does AI achieve that?!''. good timesĀ when you could learn from AI..Ā 

After all the ME and main issues? if you're not using a tactical formation that edges you over the AI then it's hard to win games especially away from home. The AI adapts too quick in my eyes, gone against teams with a 5 man defense with a 4man midfield and 1 target man and they just hoof it and end up scoring or holding out for a draw no matter what style you use. Not to mention your team not following your tactical style to your wants regardless if they've done well or not. Fm17 was literally tell them what to do and they do it, I was at a stage a couple of months ago when my save broke and was really contemplating weather to start a new one or wait for 19, I started a new one and still continue it because 19 is such a broken game that it's literally worth playing 17 still. January update should change that but with the public beta out im starting to feel they did it because there was too many problems that they needed us to show what was wrong... but that being said that is the best way to improve the game and im glad the si and the staff actually help and sort problems out where as other games they leave it year after year.Ā 

6 minutes ago, BigV said:
1 hour ago, Mitja said:

Ā 

After all the ME and main issues? if you're not using a tactical formation that edges you over the AI then it's hard to win games especially away from home.

can't say i even tried to play 19 normally, just testing and reporting but i literally just press continue, use same tacics with minimal changes or adapting. can't say i'm overachiving but it would get me nowhere on fm17. even when loosingĀ can't say i ever been destroyed like i feel i should or like it happened with FM17 when i started. but that's not surprise considering all the ME issues and hopefully this will get sorted and player quality and tactics will play more important part.Ā 

Ā 

1 minute ago, Mitja said:

can't say i even tried to play 19 normally, just testing and reporting but i literally just press continue, use same tacics with minimal changes or adapting. can't say i'm overachiving but it would get me nowhere on fm17. even when loosingĀ can't say i ever been destroyed like i feel i should or like it happened with FM17 when i started. but that's not surprise considering all the ME issues and hopefully this will get sorted and player quality and tactics will play more important part.Ā 

Ā 

Good post. In FM17 AI was able to put my team under serious possession pressure with actual danger involved. It was very rewarding tweaking something during the match to manage a draw or turn a match around.

FM19 ME wise ,with all the testing we have done , hardly ever surprises. It is hampered by so many issues currently and in public beta still that I can't see it reach the same balance of fun and realise that FM17 and to a lesser extern FM18 had. FM17 was a benchmark as far as I am concerned.

4 minutes ago, Mensell76 said:

In FM17 AI was able to put my team under serious possession pressure with actual danger involved.

both FBs on attack, one IF att the other support, wide, play through middle, WtBIB? where's that gone?

i liked how AI would change FC roles and duties during the match depending on your setup or use DLPs + BWMs combo when chasing score.

I played from 2002 to 2008, the stopped and returned with 17.Ā 

I don't completely agree with all you about FM17.Ā 

Yes, i have fun, and i reached my best results (1 Europe League and 2 Champions League in 30 years of game with hungarian team MTK ), but ME has his weakness like i can count on the 2 hands the amount of dribbling i saw in Key highlights during 30years.

Now i saw more risky action by players. Said that the ME19 has great problems in mentality setting, forward moviments l, central attacking play and possession.

That plus "Pace" and "accel" , as always, overpoweredĀ  over tecnichal andĀ  mentalĀ  attributes so you can turn a bottom club to a top one using a direct ball from deep CM

Ā 

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

26 minutes ago, FlorianAlbert9 said:

I played from 2002 to 2008, the stopped and returned with 17.Ā 

I don't completely agree with all you about FM17.Ā 

Yes, i have fun, and i reached my best results (1 Europe League and 2 Champions League in 30 years of game with hungarian team MTK ), but ME has his weakness like i can count on the 2 hands the amount of dribbling i saw in Key highlights during 30years.

Now i saw more risky action by players. Said that the ME19 has great problems in mentality setting, forward moviments l, central attacking play and possession.

That plus "Pace" and "accel" , as always, overpoweredĀ  over tecnichal andĀ  mentalĀ  attributes so you can turn a bottom club to a top one using a direct ball from deep CM

Ā 

FM17 is by far the best it's been in recent times, not only was it easy to play but the way you did everything fit what you wanted. Some games didn't work but most of the time it did simply because you ordered it. Dribbling was OP since 14, 19 has kind of sorted it out but even lowered it, only a few dribbles being made per player when you expect top players to do so in normal and big games. 19 is broke to it's core IMO, i literally just played a semi final as united vs newcastle- 25 shots, 17 on target, 0-0 won on pens, 62% possession, 6 clear cut chances missed by both rashford and lukaku who have scored 23 goals in roughly 27 games... it happens all the time and everyone blames "it's your tactics" bs. Pace and accel means nothing anymore cause they just start and stop and look for a pass without even trying to cross or make a decision that unlocks anything (through balls are dead in 19), mental attributes are criminal, herrera has great mental stats as well as bentacur yet barely get 6.8 or higher ratings. Wish I could refund this game having spent 33 quid but I guess i'll have to wait and see if the jan update makes it any better.Ā 

47 minuti fa, BigV ha scritto:

FM17 is by far the best it's been in recent times, not only was it easy to play but the way you did everything fit what you wanted. Some games didn't work but most of the time it did simply because you ordered it. Dribbling was OP since 14, 19 has kind of sorted it out but even lowered it, only a few dribbles being made per player when you expect top players to do so in normal and big games. 19 is broke to it's core IMO, i literally just played a semi final as united vs newcastle- 25 shots, 17 on target, 0-0 won on pens, 62% possession, 6 clear cut chances missed by both rashford and lukaku who have scored 23 goals in roughly 27 games... it happens all the time and everyone blames "it's your tactics" bs. Pace and accel means nothing anymore cause they just start and stop and look for a pass without even trying to cross or make a decision that unlocks anything (through balls are dead in 19), mental attributes are criminal, herrera has great mental stats as well as bentacur yet barely get 6.8 or higher ratings. Wish I could refund this game having spent 33 quid but I guess i'll have to wait and see if the jan update makes it any better.Ā 

It's true that "it's your tactics" but for the ME that have an huge preference for counter-direct-football.Ā 

So if you try and attacking mentality football, the ME will kill you.Ā 

Playing a CM with direct passing, a fast striker, even with 7 in composure, will score a lot

Edited by FlorianAlbert9

1 hour ago, BigV said:

Same feeling over here. Just wonder how to get my strikers to do better in 1 on 1 situations compared to in FM 17. Any recommendations?

Ā 

This discussion is really making me want to revisit FM17. I have put around 300 hours into it but don't remember it being that amazing, then again it has been a very long time with 2 more iterations since then. I've said this before about FM19 but sadly it is the first FM game (and I've been playing since 2009, not super old school but still almost a decade of games) that has made me very seriously consider dropping it and going back to a previous FM to scratch the itch. I'm just not enjoying FM19, I'm not a tactical guru but have a solid grasp on tactics, I've tried and tried everything and anything aided by some very knowledgeable people in the tactics section and no matter what I do I can't create an enjoyable ME experience. I have never seen any AI team play good football either.Ā Games are mind numbingly boring and that is the beating heart of any FM.

I initially thought about FM18 but that ME had it's own problems, especially the abundance of long shots + their pitiful conversion rates and above all, the massive reliance on crossing and wide play, full backs being the best players in the world etc.Ā 

So this actually brings up an interesting discussion - in lieu of some major changes to the ME in FM19, where do we go back to? FM17 vs FM18. I might give both a shot, will start a journeyman in FM17 and holiday to summer of 2018 for some immersion. For science I will actually try to create a very similar tactic in FM17 to the one I've been using in my main save in 19 and to see the difference in the football being played.

Edited by bar333

15 minutes ago, bar333 said:

This discussion is really making me want to revisit FM17. I have put around 300 hours into it but don't remember it being that amazing, then again it has been a very long time with 2 more iterations since then. I've said this before about FM19 but sadly it is the first FM game (and I've been playing since 2009, not super old school but still almost a decade of games) that has made me very seriously consider dropping it and going back to a previous FM to scratch the itch. I'm just not enjoying FM19, I'm not a tactical guru but have a solid grasp on tactics, I've tried and tried everything and anything aided by some very knowledgeable people in the tactics section and no matter what I do I can't create an enjoyable ME experience. I have never seen any AI team play good football either.Ā Games are mind numbingly boring and that is the beating heart of any FM.

I initially thought about FM18 but that ME had it's own problems, especially the abundance of long shots + their pitiful conversion rates and above all, the massive reliance on crossing and wide play, full backs being the best players in the world etc.Ā 

So this actually brings up an interesting discussion - in lieu of some major changes to the ME in FM19, where do we go back to? FM17 vs FM18. I might give both a shot, will start a journeyman in FM17 and holiday to summer of 2018 for some immersion. For science I will actually try to create a very similar tactic in FM17 to the one I've been using in my main save in 19 and to see the difference in the football being played.

I think you will find a better representation of a real football match in FM17 than FM19.

2 hours ago, craiigman said:

Hook us up mateĀ 

https://strikerless.com/2018/11/29/short-corners-my-plan-b/

Ā 

That's the article he wrote, I provided the missing link (DorkSirjur). Preferable to use 433 or three forward tactics, works with all but got to switch player corner positions around otherwise.

Ā 

Also left and right corners have to mirror each other exactly.

2 hours ago, bar333 said:

It's not "amazing" per say but it definitely fit the bill for what it was, there was obviously issues but most were sorted. I've played over 1000 hours on the first save which was the first official patch, that says something of how well it was done on its official release, barely any bugs from the get go. I've always skipped 1 years fm because they usually are faulty to an extent but this whole re-brand revamp has messed this up. Arguably fm20 will/SHOULD be better. The biggest annoyance is the regens playing wide are all wingers and barely any inside forwards. Scouting, training to an extent, tactics (simpler but worked), ME, graphics and player showing in 3d are all better than 19 and thats just the half of it.Ā 

@timmyĀ I can't give any tips because apparently my tactics dont work... but I suggest try 2 strikers, play a 3 man midfield if you're overun by possession or go 3 at the back with a 3-5-2 classic. I dunno how much training changes it but try chance creation and conversion without breaking the whole teams morale and happiness,Ā 

I wish the DoF was implemented a lot better in the game. I feel there's no real point to the role in game as i can have other staff doing what the DoF does and also just remove all roles from him completely.

For clubs that operate with Dof's, their roles should be set by the club (and have to go through the board to get these changed) and there should be meetings to discuss new signings/contract renewals and anything else they may be in charge of.

I tried to allow the DoF in my current job to have some input in transfers but he kept bidding for players who are not very good in a position that i have no interest in signing anyway. This improvement could also open up a whole new difficulty level. We currently have attribute hider, but improve the communication between manager and staff members (chief scout and DoF) and that could open up the possibility of having a difficulty that completely removes any visible attribute rating. Would make the game a hell of a lot more challenging and make use of something which has been in the game for years and is yet to really have any use

Didn't know where to put this, so this'll have to do.

September 2020 and just been checking the biggest transfers that have taken place so far.

Isco to Man U - Ā£125m - Jan 19

Kane to Man U - Ā£125m - June 20

Hazard to Man U - Ā£111m - June 19

Fekir to Real - Ā£98m - AugustĀ 19

Son to Chelsea - Ā£96m - August 19

Kante to Man U - Ā£82m - June 19

Golovin to Tottenham - Ā£82m - Jan 20

Kimpembe to Barca - Ā£81m

Bailey to Bayern - Ā£78m - AugustĀ 19

Kovacic to Man City - Ā£77m - June 20

Emre Can to Chelsea - Ā£76m - July 19

Varane to Liverpool - Ā£71m - June 19

Ā 

Mourinho is still Man U manager, Chelsea didn't make the Champions League the season before they sold Hazard and Kante, same with Kane and Tottenham, so think that maybe forced the moves.

Hilariously, Man U haven't won a trophy yet. Their best league finish has been third.

Edited by RandomGuy.

9 hours ago, harrycarrie said:

So the corner routine me and Guido worked on has broken the game currently. Chuck in the throw in exploit and its ridiculous. Its a bit of a shambles of an ME currently tbf.

Ā 

47258e07c0db7e2b62e87e5de889c715.png

Ā 

fa30fac7b09d5688d07e0d0a75da0d00.png

Ā 

e69a03a63b1204864e313891105497eb.png

then don't use it! other players want to use it and they enjoy it.

Ā 

14 minutes ago, penza said:

then don't use it! other players want to use it and they enjoy it.

Ā 

I'm enjoying using it mate, I helped make the bloody thing! I was just highlighting the fact that an aspect of the engine is broken. Its a feedback thread ffsĀ :lol:

Edited by harrycarrie

2 hours ago, RobertPage said:

I wish the DoF was implemented a lot better in the game. I feel there's no real point to the role in game as i can have other staff doing what the DoF does and also just remove all roles from him completely.

For clubs that operate with Dof's, their roles should be set by the club (and have to go through the board to get these changed) and there should be meetings to discuss new signings/contract renewals and anything else they may be in charge of.

I tried to allow the DoF in my current job to have some input in transfers but he kept bidding for players who are not very good in a position that i have no interest in signing anyway. This improvement could also open up a whole new difficulty level. We currently have attribute hider, but improve the communication between manager and staff members (chief scout and DoF) and that could open up the possibility of having a difficulty that completely removes any visible attribute rating. Would make the game a hell of a lot more challenging and make use of something which has been in the game for years and is yet to really have any use

A lot of roles have that issue though. Do you really need a HoYD? Why? It's just a glorified youth coach whoĀ canĀ bring in your youth intake but it can also be handed over to a DoF. Pick whoever has best personality and go. Chief Scout is an even more pointless role since unlike HoYD\DoFĀ there is actually a huge overlap in attributes since DoF himself is just a glorified scout. Lack of specialization from staff roles that are supposed to be specialist roles is an issue across the board. None of them really offer anything unique.

The implementation of DoF isn't realistic at all but it is the lesser evil as it is one of the cases where realism would not equal fun for most players, as most players want direct control of transfers, contracts and other aspects of management usually overseen by a DoF in Europe. But even if you were to look past that, to not be horrible it would require a massively better AI otherwise the DoF will actively sabotage the player at every turn because the AI in FM tends to fail miserably at squad building.

Edited by bar333

1 hour ago, bar333 said:

The implementation of DoF isn't realistic at all but it is the lesser evil as it is one of the cases where realism would not equal fun for most players

Honestly, this is what bugs me a lot about the progress of this game. There are so many different things that could be done to make this game more fun but instead we get these features that ā€œmake the game more realistic than everā€. Iā€™m not going to drag on my views with this as itā€™s been discussed previously. Either way, itā€™s frustrating how pointless having something (which is one of many things) in the game that is so far from being utilised.

Ā 

10 hours ago, BigV said:

FM17 is by far the best it's been in recent times, not only was it easy to play but the way you did everything fit what you wanted. Some games didn't work but most of the time it did simply because you ordered it. Dribbling was OP since 14, 19 has kind of sorted it out but even lowered it, only a few dribbles being made per player when you expect top players to do so in normal and big games. 19 is broke to it's core IMO, i literally just played a semi final as united vs newcastle- 25 shots, 17 on target, 0-0 won on pens, 62% possession, 6 clear cut chances missed by both rashford and lukaku who have scored 23 goals in roughly 27 games... it happens all the time and everyone blames "it's your tactics" bs.Ā 

Posts like this still make puppies weep. The frustrating thing is that there may be a great point in there. But possession and shot counts won't ever, ever show it (no less as for as long as an AI Manager Drops Deep during a match, their opponents are gonna dominate those simpleton stats by default, rather than inherent awesomness).Ā  Sorry for the repeat. But you still cannot stress this quite oftenly enough.

Let's still tackle this from the numbers/stats perspective. We know that in Football Analytics, that is the real one, "big chances" start at about a goal probabilty of roughly 20%. That's pretty good. The average shot conversion is about 10%. Ranged attempts typically oft are in the <=5% range. A one on one is about a 33% Chance. Why this "low? The key is the term "one on one". Unlike many other chances, the keeper is fully game -- and unlike the Forward trying to hit a specific target, is also allowed his Hands, to deflect it somewhere off that target - cheater). A Penalty ranks at about a 75% of scoring. Generally, outside of tap-ins and penalties, no Forward in competitive football is considered to have the Edge to score (hint, hint, prime reason why football is such a low scoring sports right there). Also, the Players on their respective Level don't make a league difference. Clubs spendn gazillions in an attempt to gain any small edge they can. And oft fail. F'r instance, according to various analytics, Salah last term scored about 7 goals more over the Prem Season than an average Prem forward would be expected to score. That would be an added goal roughly every sixth match average which Bobby Premierleaguestriker may not score. Some of those Goals may have been crucial ones though -- which is exactly the small edges that any competitive sports is About.

So, let's do some Maths. We do not know exactly, how things work in-game. But let's assume SI are following such stuff, rather than dreaming up a completely fantasy detached from real sports. Also, let's consider these 6 clear cuts to fall mostly in the 20% range. In other words, each of them may have aĀ  80% of being missed. Whilst we know that FM usually flags forwards as "frustrated/nervous" upon missing somtimes, let's discard that for a minute too. It's not the point of this post. Therefore, the roughly Maths for not converting a CCC would look like this: 80% * 80% * 80% * 80% * 80% * 80%. Mathematically thus, that's a 26% Chance of seeing all of them missed. Or roughly oneĀ  times in four. Even if all the CCCs would fall in the "one on one" range, it would be aĀ  roughly 10% chance. Or one times out of ten.Ā  It may be slightly lower with the likes of Lukaku -- unless he's frustrated as **** for missing previous. and still not getting subbed. However probabably not that much. Ā 

If anybody considers this to be defending the game, they're missing the point entirelly.

Maybe one day even SI are gonna wake up and listen -- no less as football may not be like, you know, Maths. But a computer code trying to ape that Football surely is. Right down to its last bit. :DĀ 

1 hour ago, Svenc said:

Ā 

Posts like this still make puppies weep. The frustrating thing is that there may be a great point in there. But possession and shot counts won't ever, ever show it (no less as for as long as an AI Manager Drops Deep during a match, their opponents are gonna dominate those simpleton stats by default, rather than inherent awesomness).Ā  Sorry for the repeat. But you still cannot stress this quite oftenly enough.

Let's still tackle this from the numbers/stats perspective. We know that in Football Analytics, that is the real one, "big chances" start at about a goal probabilty of roughly 20%. That's pretty good. The average shot conversion is about 10%. Ranged attempts typically oft are in the <=5% range. A one on one is about a 33% Chance. Why this "low? The key is the term "one on one". Unlike many other chances, the keeper is fully game -- and unlike the Forward trying to hit a specific target, is also allowed his Hands, to deflect it somewhere off that target - cheater). A Penalty ranks at about a 75% of scoring. Generally, outside of tap-ins and penalties, no Forward in competitive football is considered to have the Edge to score (hint, hint, prime reason why football is such a low scoring sports right there). Also, the Players on their respective Level don't make a league difference. Clubs spendn gazillions in an attempt to gain any small edge they can. And oft fail. F'r instance, according to various analytics, Salah last term scored about 7 goals more over the Prem Season than an average Prem forward would be expected to score. That would be an added goal roughly every sixth match average which Bobby Premierleaguestriker may not score. Some of those Goals may have been crucial ones though -- which is exactly the small edges that any competitive sports is About.

So, let's do some Maths. We do not know exactly, how things work in-game. But let's assume SI are following such stuff, rather than dreaming up a completely fantasy detached from real sports. Also, let's consider these 6 clear cuts to fall mostly in the 20% range. In other words, each of them may have aĀ  80% of being missed. Whilst we know that FM usually flags forwards as "frustrated/nervous" upon missing somtimes, let's discard that for a minute too. It's not the point of this post. Therefore, the roughly Maths for not converting a CCC would look like this: 80% * 80% * 80% * 80% * 80% * 80%. Mathematically thus, that's a 26% Chance of seeing all of them missed. Or roughly oneĀ  times in four. Even if all the CCCs would fall in the "one on one" range, it would be aĀ  roughly 10% chance. Or one times out of ten.Ā  It may be slightly lower with the likes of Lukaku -- unless he's frustrated as **** for missing previous. and still not getting subbed. However probabably not that much. Ā 

If anybody considers this to be defending the game, they're missing the point entirelly.

Maybe one day even SI are gonna wake up and listen -- no less as football may not be like, you know, Maths. But a computer code trying to ape that Football surely is. Right down to its last bit. :DĀ 

Where are you getting your one on one scoring probability from

attached is a counterpoint to above (big chances). Last season of premiership with big chances detailed for certain players...for 20 players attached...the average conversion rate of big chances is 51%...ranging from 70% to 37%...even the much maligned morata converted 37% of his big chances

The average of the top 5 is 63pc

Ā 

I know you will say big chances can include tap ins but the vardy is top at 70%...impression wise at least he gets a fair amount of chances from balls over the top and running into space for one on ones rather than excess amounts of tap ins...other players on that list are not all about tap ins either and anyway average for 20 players over the course of the season is actually over 51% conversion rate of big chances is significantly higher than the baseĀ of 20% which I've seen in one calc for Xg layered on for a big chance.

In essence...big chances conversion rates can and do vary individual to individual...that's just simple math as well

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/11479251/premier-league-forwards-romelu-lukaku-harry-kane-mohamed-salah-and-more-compared

Tottenham took in loan Cuadrado with a clause to pay after 5 matches. I was all happy because it was the last year of his contract but what happened? They didn't even registrated him for the first team, ergo he will never play those 5 matches.Ā 
No, he wasn't injured or anything.Ā :lol:

15 hours ago, Svenc said:

Ā 

I'm reading that comment with a headache and have no idea if you're with me or against me lol but either way I think your maths or statistics is fairly wrong. As @akkmĀ said and perspective of the players themselves, 17 did what you'd expect, some will be missed but those on form/confident players with decent finishing, composure etc. to help score do so. I have no idea how the code makes it do all this stuff but if they based it off the 17 one they'd have a more complete game. In that sense it may not be possible but they can certainly try to replicate it which is why they failed because adding too many stuff and changing things that were poor to the players eye regardless if its realistic caused changes that effects the game long term and short. Scouting for example takes years now when it could be done within a few days and not only that but you get what you asked for, now you have to be specific and still be told that you could lose on potential deals that is worth it.Ā 

The game has a high level of polish this year but I'm finding the ME a real slog to watch. I have all these great attacking players but theres no creative play at all. I score mostly from wide play and set pieces. And if I go "positive" (particularly for away matches) I get some really unfortunate hoofball. It'sĀ unsatisfying stuff.

I haven't played the last couple years, so some of my feedback might not strictly be about this year, but I think it mostly is. I'm enjoying the game overall.

-If a team is in possession and not countering, no one ever plays any through balls andĀ strikers never make any runs. Good dribblers aren't ever able to create anything in the box. And there are soooo many blocked shots. Crossing seems to be working fine;Ā it's just the through the middle play that seems messed up to me.

-It seems too easy to create chances from counters, but the chances are maybe converted at too low a rate.

-I appreciate that a few boring things that used to show up in extended highlights all the time have been taken out (warnings, offsides, corners where nothing happens)

Been playing fm since your 2015 edition have to say the al managers need to be more competetive.Ā  We have world managers who are actually good but from fm17 to fm19 these managera such as klopp; pep seem to just get fired. I have tactics that i have used maybe tjey could help you make more stronger al's

15439466874334744646891906399677.jpg

2 hours ago, Tendai Adrian said:

Been playing fm since your 2015 edition have to say the al managers need to be more competetive.Ā  We have world managers who are actually good but from fm17 to fm19 these managera such as klopp; pep seem to just get fired. I have tactics that i have used maybe tjey could help you make more stronger al's

15439466874334744646891906399677.jpg

15 and 17 was fine for this, although pep or a few big managers get sacked, it's because the player themselves over reached them so none of them made their objectives. They dont change so even if a team in top 5 drops below 6th they'd be sacked and yet have the same objective year after year and wouldn't adapt. It's speculative but teams that have low mental stats like city, they barely do well. On my save city are 7th with a new manager and it only seems to happen to those that are frail regardless how much they spend.Ā 

I've been a long-term admirer of the Football Manager series since my friend introduced me to the 2005 version, however I had slowly lost interest over recent years. This was mainly because of my inability to take a tactical style that was in my head, and replicate it in game. Maybe I just couldn't get my ideas across using the previous tactical screens.Ā I've always seen football as three phases - when you have possession, when possession has just been turned over and when you don't have possession. I think SI's overhaul of tacticsĀ into a three phase system is one of the finest improvements for many years. It gives you complete control of how you want your team to play, giving you the best possible chance of achieving a positive result (as long as you have a decent knowledge of tactics/roles etc). I'd never really seen the logic in having just one tactic that covered all three phases of the game; that doesn't make sense to me, as it doesn't replicate how football is played at aĀ professional level. Kudos to the team or whoever decided upon the new tactical approach as it has improvedĀ my FM experience substantially. Personally, I don't use the pre-defined styles of play, but for less-seasoned players or people who just want to jump straight into their desired tactical style,Ā I think this is also an excellent feature and provides a solid base to build an effective tactic on.

ME feedback is highly dependent on whether you are having success or not, but for me it provides a fair challenge and any extremes tend to even themselves out over the course of a season. Combining this with the above, I'm thoroughly enjoying my career.

May not get it from every single player, but it's a thumbs up from me SIĀ :thup:Ā Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, joemez1193 said:

I've been a long-term admirer of the Football Manager series since my friend introduced me to the 2005 version, however I had slowly lost interest over recent years. This was mainly because of my inability to take a tactical style that was in my head, and replicate it in game. Maybe I just couldn't get my ideas across using the previous tactical screens.Ā I've always seen football as three phases - when you have possession, when possession has just been turned over and when you don't have possession. I think SI's overhaul of tacticsĀ into a three phase system is one of the finest improvements for many years. It gives you complete control of how you want your team to play, giving you the best possible chance of achieving a positive result (as long as you have a decent knowledge of tactics/roles etc). I'd never really seen the logic in having just one tactic that covered all three phases of the game; that doesn't make sense to me, as it doesn't replicate how football is played at aĀ professional level. Kudos to the team or whoever decided upon the new tactical approach as it has improvedĀ my FM experience substantially. Personally, I don't use the pre-defined styles of play, but for less-seasoned players or people who just want to jump straight into their desired tactical style,Ā I think this is also an excellent feature and provides a solid base to build an effective tactic on.

ME feedback is highly dependent on whether you are having success or not, but for me it provides a fair challenge and any extremes tend to even themselves out over the course of a season. Combining this with the above, I'm thoroughly enjoying my career.

May not get it from every single player, but it's a thumbs up from me SIĀ :thup:Ā Ā Ā 

Fair enough and true in most cases in your first paragraph, the new feature is great and very useful. But the ME is not balanced at all, it's all over the place, it's almost unplayable because there's so many dodgy decisions and mistakes which stops it being "football" IMO;Ā the roles of some players don't do what they're asked, through balls are awful or inexistant unless hoofed, domination in a game results to a draw or a 1-0 loss most of the time away, top players act like average players on a pitch regardless of their stats. The beta was almost perfect in terms of ME, just the crossing needed to be winded down but made drastic changes making it unplayable in my eyes. However, the SI do a great job and do listen and the fact they made an open beta to help sort these issues is a massive way to make the game feel better individually and the community. Just hope 2.0 patch in jan is a lot better than now.Ā 

10 minutes ago, BigV said:

Fair enough and true in most cases in your first paragraph, the new feature is great and very useful. But the ME is not balanced at all, it's all over the place, it's almost unplayable because there's so many dodgy decisions and mistakes which stops it being "football" IMO;Ā the roles of some players don't do what they're asked, through balls are awful or inexistant unless hoofed, domination in a game results to a draw or a 1-0 loss most of the time away, top players act like average players on a pitch regardless of their stats. The beta was almost perfect in terms of ME, just the crossing needed to be winded down but made drastic changes making it unplayable in my eyes. However, the SI do a great job and do listen and the fact they made an open beta to help sort these issues is a massive way to make the game feel better individually and the community. Just hope 2.0 patch in jan is a lot better than now.Ā 

Have you not watched Manchester United lately?

Seriously, having far more shots on goal and far more possession than the opposition does not mean you shouldĀ always win, especially not if you go too gung-ho andĀ leave yourself vulnerable to counter-attacks. If those results are happening too frequently for your liking, maybe you should pay a visit toĀ the tactics forum.

39 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Seriously, having far more shots on goal and far more possession than the opposition does not mean you shouldĀ always win, especially not if you go too gung-ho andĀ leave yourself vulnerable to counter-attacks. If those results are happening too frequently for your liking, maybe you should pay a visit toĀ the tactics forum.

How can you say that the tactic is the culprit when you have no idea how he plays? Basic football principles are nowhere to be found in the current match engine. The only way to win is to play like the rest. I don't think anyone is having problems winning on any match engine, the problem is not playing how you would like, and playing as I want to play is impossible on this match engine. 1 year of testing (or so they say) and nobody from SI noticed how ALL striker roles are static in the box. Issues like this should be solved in Alpha, not even beta. In beta should be fixed some crashes, database issues and other low priority bugs. I will never buy FM again without trying the demo first.

I watched a match of Rashidi and he got 2 or 3 penalties in a game, where he wanted to show how the new pressing works. After that he posted some videos with hoof balls saying they are good examples of risky passes.

Psh...

Edited by Vali184

14 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

How can you say that the tactic is the culprit when you have no idea how he plays? Basic football principles are nowhere to be found in the current match engine. The only way to win is to play like the rest. I don't think anyone is having problems winning on any match engine, the problem is not playing how you would like, and playing as I want to play is impossible on this match engine. 1 year of testing (or so they say) and nobody from SI noticed how ALL striker roles are static in the box. Issues like this should be solved in Alpha, not even beta. In beta should be fixed some crashes, database issues and other low priority bugs. I will never buy FM again without trying the demo first.

I watched a match of Rashidi and he got 2 or 3 penalties in a game, where he wanted to show how the new pressing works. After that he posted some videos with hoof balls saying they are good examples of risky passes.

Psh...

What do you mean "play like the rest"? And how do you want to play, for that matter?

From my experience, I'm getting strong results using a vertical tiki-taka style, and my lone Deep-Lying Forward (Attack) is on six goals in seven games already this season. The football I see my team playĀ is pretty much what I'd expect from that system.

Granted, it's very different from the possession tactics my teams often played with onĀ FM13 and even FM17 - partly because I've had no luck getting consistent performances out of any attacking midfield roles in FM19 (which is a common issue). Even so, my team isĀ playing to its strengths and I'm liking what I'm seeing at the moment. No major complaints here.

4 minutes ago, CFuller said:

What do you mean "play like the rest"? And how do you want to play, for that matter?

From my experience, I'm getting strong results using a vertical tiki-taka style, and my lone Deep-Lying Forward (Attack) is on six goals in seven games already this season. The football I see my team playĀ is pretty much what I'd expect from that system.

Granted, it's very different from the possession tactics my teams often played with onĀ FM13 and even FM17 - partly because I've had no luck getting consistent performances out of any attacking midfield roles in FM19 (which is a common issue). Even so, my team isĀ playing to its strengths and I'm liking what I'm seeing at the moment. No major complaints here.

Again, you confuse winning and scoring with other things.

Results are a red herring and more people need to understand that. If someone is struggling to get good results in FM19 and blames the ME then by all means wheel out the old "it's your tactics" thing - you'd be right to. There's a wide range of tactics ranging from awful to mediocre that you can get good results in FM with, that has always been the case, so if you can't find success in any FM including 19 then yes, take a good look at your tactics.

But very often the staunch defenders of the ME assume that people only complain because they can't get results, I can see why you'd make that assumption but it's no longer a safe assumption to make at all. I'm having good success and overachieving year in year out but I still don't enjoy the ME. And that's the real deal breaker -Ā it's not fun.Ā Games are boring, tactics are boring because the ME is far too restrictive and limiting right now and quite simply is in a poor state.Ā 

Most people can't derive satisfaction from winning in the way you win games in FM19. Now, if you made a manager called Pony Tulis andĀ wantĀ to set up your teams to play Brexit football and create a club tradition of winning from set pieces then FM19 is certainly the best FM at that.

On 01/12/2018 at 14:09, gar23 said:

So I shouldnā€™t fork out for the game and a new 1300 quid laptop then mate?ļ»æļ»æ

Hi mate, since then, someone advised me to try the BetaĀ ME and, for me, it is working great. Really good variety of goals and has solved the one-on-one issue. Nice balance too. So, get it, but then sign up to the Beta engine.

On 30/11/2018 at 19:28, westy8chimp said:

If only the press conferences could handle individualistic human actions and thoughtsĀ 

Tbf I'm the same IRL... Southampton ticket holder quite happy to be relegated... I love championship footballĀ 

Ha! In that case, have a word about Saturday; I'm a Cardiff fan and desperate to stay up!

3 hours ago, CFuller said:

As a die hard United fan myself that is an insult to football itself. Did you not read what I said? Having more shots on goal and possession means you're doing something right with poor finishing and a few minor stuff. However, when it'sĀ happening more oftenĀ whats the point if you know whats gonna happen?!?! it's almost like its determined to go against you regardless how you play theĀ way the player wants. Any tactic that the player chooses needs to pick one that breaks the ME or one that is used alot (yours for example), some don't even work, did you even play 4-3-3 in fm18 because I can tell you now you could probably win anything and everything... it's a very known issue that the ME is awful, it's a known issue that the forwards don't know how to act as forwards in whatever role, it's a known fact crossing from wingbacks don't cross cause they stand still when having a chance to- I wouldn't expect a real life player to do any of these faults so why should I expect a game that has previously shown it can do a benefit of the doubt?Ā 

On the note of Manchester United, we barely shoot... and when we do it's outside or reliant upon wingers because lukaku can't kick a ball or even touch it.Ā 

2 minutes ago, BigV said:

As a die hard United fan myself that is an insult to football itself. Did you not read what I said? Having more shots on goal and possession means you're doing something right with poor finishing and a few minor stuff. However, when it'sĀ happening more oftenĀ whats the point if you know whats gonna happen?!?! it's almost like its determined to go against you regardless how you play theĀ way the player wants. Any tactic that the player chooses needs to pick one that breaks the ME or one that is used alot (yours for example), some don't even work, did you even play 4-3-3 in fm18 because I can tell you now you could probably win anything and everything... it's a very known issue that the ME is awful, it's a known issue that the forwards don't know how to act as forwards in whatever role, it's a known fact crossing from wingbacks don't cross cause they stand still when having a chance to- I wouldn't expect a real life player to do any of these faults so why should I expect a game that has previously shown it can do a benefit of the doubt?Ā 

On the note of Manchester United, we barely shoot... and when we do it's outside or reliant upon wingers because lukaku can't kick a ball or even touch it.Ā 

In the limited time I spent on the FM18 demo, I still overachieved without having to resort to aĀ narrowĀ 4-3-3. However, the football I saw in that game was very ugly,Ā unenjoyable, and not what I was expecting.

Compare that to my experience with FM19, where it's been a bit more of a struggle, yet my team plays how I expect it to, and I'm now feeling that I've got the hang of it. I'm also not seeing the same problems with wing-backs not crossing or lone forwards underperforming as you seem to be. The only major problem area for me has been in attacking midfield, as mentioned previously.

While I will admit tne ME still has some significant faults,Ā I would also say it is now much closer to being truly brilliant than it has ever been. That's just my opinion, though.

I think that the latest beta update (ME 1922) is worse than the last one. I am once again seeing COMPLETE lack of central play, defenders making stupid clearances and accuracy in general (especially from headers) is extremely poor. It also seems to me that movement of attacking players has been nerfed down.

Ā 

The last update seemed to be on the right track so I am disappointed with this one.

29 minutes ago, CFuller said:

In the limited time I spent on the FM18 demo, I still overachieved without having to resort to aĀ narrowĀ 4-3-3. However, the football I saw in that game was very ugly,Ā unenjoyable, and not what I was expecting.

Compare that to my experience with FM19, where it's been a bit more of a struggle, yet my team plays how I expect it to, and I'm now feeling that I've got the hang of it. I'm also not seeing the same problems with wing-backs not crossing or lone forwards underperforming as you seem to be. The only major problem area for me has been in attacking midfield, as mentioned previously.

While I will admit tne ME still has some significant faults,Ā I would also say it is now much closer to being truly brilliant than it has ever been. That's just my opinion, though.

CAM players seem to have huge problems with play and whatever their roles are, that said quite a few roles are like that. What about pressing? what about getting loads of yellows and somehow get red cards/suspensions almost every 5+ games? what about the dribbling stats cause even the best players struggle to having dribbles per game above 3/4 even if their dribbling is 16+?Ā what about through balls? all these should be alpha as one of the guys stated above said, this is why I leave a year out and make sure problems are fixed by the next game but the added stuff from 18 to 19 really messed it up IMO even if the features are great.Ā 

37 minutes ago, Martin# said:

I think that the latest beta update (ME 1922) is worse than the last one. I am once again seeing COMPLETE lack of central play, defenders making stupid clearances and accuracy in general (especially from headers) is extremely poor. It also seems to me that movement of attacking players has been nerfed down.

Ā 

The last update seemed to be on the right track so I am disappointed with this one.

The only thing changed in ME1922 is less yellow and red cards. So.... yeah.