Football Manager 2019 Official Feedback Thread

Biggest downside for this year's FM from your pov ?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What really annoy you this year while playing FM19 ?

• Players moaning for new contracts too often
    • Gegenpressing tactic too powerful
    • Youngsters determination decreasing despite tutoring
    • IA still stockpiling players at a specific position/low teambuilding
    • Calendar bug ,only 1 day to recover between 2 officials games, especially a the end of the season (Obviously, i'm not talking about the Boxing day)
    • International call-ups issues (players unavailable for Champions League final etc...)

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Martin# said:

I think that the latest beta update (ME 1922) is worse than the last one. I am once again seeing COMPLETE lack of central play, defenders making stupid clearances and accuracy in general (especially from headers) is extremely poor. It also seems to me that movement of attacking players has been nerfed down.

The last update seemed to be on the right track so I am disappointed with this one.

This is a beta update, so nothing to do with the official version or release of it.

That said, if you have issues to show, please do so in the bugs forum with PKM examples.:thup:

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something else to be said when discussing the incredibly boring ME - any and all issues with the ME are heavily compounded by AI managers being ridiculously negative. I don't remember it being this bad in FM18. It seems the default behavior of any team not in the top 3\4 of their respective leagues is to full on, out right park the bus in any and every away game. Cup, league, result needed, context? Who cares, doesn't even need to make sense, the algorithm says to park the bus. 4-1-4-1, not a single attack duty, what I can only imagine is contain mentality, not even a hint of an effort to score. I'm not talking "playing on the counter", I'm talking as close as you can realistically get to parking 10 players inside the box without technically doing it. Essentially barring mistakes from defenders and if you somehow witnessed an absolute Christmas miracle and managed to see with your own two eyes 90 minutes come and go without a goal from a set piece then you will get 0-0 or 1-0 and multiple copy paste games like this a season.

You might be thinking I'm playing as Barcelona against bottom league teams, I'm actually playing Stuttgart, a 5th-6th place team, and mid table teams and even very good ones like RB Leipzid routinely park the bus against me for no apparent reason.

I have no idea why anyone felt the urgent need to make everyone across the board more negative and defensive whenever the odds are slightly against them, this was fine in FM18 and happened when it made sense. Then obviously in FM18 the ME also gave you the tools to deal with it, but I realize that's a different point - just making everyone slightly less negative will go some way towards ending the snoozefests.

Quick question.  I think this is a bug, but I stand to be corrected.

I signed a few youngsters from Cardiff Metropolitan University on free transfers.  They are an amateur club so no contract.  One of them in particular turned out to be rather good once I developed him and I sold him a few years later for £5m.  I was told I had to give 15% to CMU as a “sell on clause” existed from when I signed him.

How can this be if CMU are amateur?

Edited by DazRTaylor

Height & Weight.

Seriously, this needs to be put back under the picture on the attributes screen. Absolutely still doing my head in where it's placed! 

There's a big blank space just to right of the DOB, Nationality, etc. Yet you've deemed it best to squeeze it on the end of the physical attributes column like an afterthought. 

Stop it with your micro patches and ffs sort this out! 

Edited by Bothan Spy

Start a new game with a new team & try sell older players? Nah. Not happening. Because the AI has been manipulated to not bother bidding. The transfer activity is beyond a joke, boring & watered down unnecessarily at the start of a new game.

Try signing youngsters to improve your team? Forget that because the asking price is just silly and unrealistic.

Couldn't give a toss about the match engine, improving the transfer activity would be better!

Can't sell anyone. 

Sorry. Ranting again! Ha ha. 

Edited by Bothan Spy

I found a bug with touchline bans. I received a touchline ban for 1 game, and before the game started i setup my line up like usual. When I clicked submit team, i was given the warning that i couldn't do any changes during the game, which was expected. However, once the game started i saw that my assistant manager had completly changed the line up from the one i had selected before kick off. Sure, he's running the sideline, but im still picking the team that goes out there. I understand that this isnt something that's gonna happen alot, we're not all Murinho, but im pretty sure he still picks the team that starts ;)

Q

On the FM17 is better than FM19 debate. I find 19 to be more realistic. 19 Has flaws but i believe those flaws are due to the massive change in the ME that 19 underwent between 18. In 17 i used a 3-3-3-1 exactly like that, 3CB, 3CM,AML,AMR,AMC and a STC. And i literally broke the game, winning leagues by 20+ points scoring more than 100+ goals i thought it was an exploit or i was some god. 

Replicated the same thing in 18 and it was still a success but teams were breaking down the flanks and i had to tinker to fix in 17 i could sim the game and not worry i would win. 

19 isn't bad far from it, 19 just has a fatal flaw that when this flaw is fixed(lack of central play/movement) it will be the best ME yet. The Beta ME was miles ahead of 17 and way better.So we know its still there.

Also on the beta me 19.2 cards, passing, pressing and some movements have been fixed. 

32 minutes ago, Amarante said:

On the FM17 is better than FM19 debate. I find 19 to be more realistic. 19 Has flaws but i believe those flaws are due to the massive change in the ME that 19 underwent between 18. In 17 i used a 3-3-3-1 exactly like that, 3CB, 3CM,AML,AMR,AMC and a STC. And i literally broke the game, winning leagues by 20+ points scoring more than 100+ goals i thought it was an exploit or i was some god. 

Replicated the same thing in 18 and it was still a success but teams were breaking down the flanks and i had to tinker to fix in 17 i could sim the game and not worry i would win. 

19 isn't bad far from it, 19 just has a fatal flaw that when this flaw is fixed(lack of central play/movement) it will be the best ME yet. The Beta ME was miles ahead of 17 and way better.So we know its still there.

Also on the beta me 19.2 cards, passing, pressing and some movements have been fixed. 

Fair enough for most of it but I think you get that with every FM, a few tactics break the game, vertical tika taka seems to break the game as one guy has tested.  few more will be found in tactics and other places. How do you access the public beta? I've tried changing all the stuff for it but when i start a new career the same 19.1.0 update shows up and nott he 19.2 as the beta should. 

1 minute ago, BigV said:

Fair enough for most of it but I think you get that with every FM, a few tactics break the game, vertical tika taka seems to break the game as one guy has tested.  few more will be found in tactics and other places. How do you access the public beta? I've tried changing all the stuff for it but when i start a new career the same 19.1.0 update shows up and nott he 19.2 as the beta should. 

Steam>Right Click on the game>Properties?Beta>Switch that to Opt In> Let the update download>Play. 

Be warned once you go 19.2 there is no going back. Literally. 

Does anyone else feel the extended highlights option should just be renamed ''view key highlights with blocked shots included''? I used to enjoy watching these in previous versions, helped me make little tweaks here and there and there was actually a little ''flair'' to the highlight. Now, I know it is either a shot on goal/clean cut chance (see: Key Highlights) or, a blocked shot. I understand it can help us see where shot's are being blocked and we need to figure out how to get them off properly...but sometimes you don't even notice the block because it is ever so slight, and the ''highlight'' finishes. Literally...so sapping. 

I didn't play games since like 2012 and now I am back, played 1 season with Valencia (Spain) and now I am at the end of the season and I wonder, do I have to send players on holidays by myself? When I played in old versions they went on holidays at the end of the season automically I wonder how is it now? Maybe since my reserve team play playoffs games to promote to higher league noone goes for holidays ?

So I've played a few hours more since my initial thoughts post 12 hours of play, and things have improved in my opinion.

I agree that FM19 is more realistic in terms of how I want my team to play - tactics are more logical which is a good thing.

I am still struggling with the interface and things feeling cramped with too much data, or things in the wrong place. I don't understand the need to do things which don't improve the experience - like changing squad view in tactics to right side of the pitch rather than the left side, or limiting the kind of information we can see on the tabs on player attributes pages. It seems to be things are less streamlined and easy on the eye than they were, and I don't know why changes were made for the sake of changes.

But overall, I AM enjoying it more and am glad I'm giving this more time.

16 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

You can easily send a young defender on a leadership course & language course yet you can't easily try and make him concentrate on improving his heading? Thats a joke!

You can improve his heading by either selecting a role that includes it and scheduling role training or you can assign unit  training that has heading as one of the focuses. :thup:

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

You can improve his heading by either selecting a role that includes it and scheduling role training or you can assign unit  training that has heading as one of the focuses. :thup:

I think they need to make that a little more clear in-game though. If I'm picking up the game today never having played before and thinking how do I get my youth winger's to work+++ on, say, crossing with extra sessions there's no clear path.

The individual training has gone backwards in FM19 imvho. Vital attributes can't be worked on for role/position can, irrelevant one's can.

Where in the football world or pyramid can a manger not ask/demand a player to improve his tackling, heading and crossing with extra or individual training focus.

Edited by Jibby123

4 minutes ago, Jibby123 said:

I think they need to make that a little more clear in-game though. If I'm picking up the game today never having played before and thinking how do I get my youth winger's to work+++ on, say, crossing with extra sessions there's no clear path.

The individual training has gone backwards in FM19 imvho. Vital attributes can't be worked on for role/position can't be worked on, irrelevant one's can.

Where in the football world or pyramid can a manger not ask a player to improve his tackling, heading and crossing?

The changes have all come from consulations with coaches and trainers who said you wouldn't simply just work on their heading etc in isolation.

1 minute ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The changes have all come from consulations with coaches and trainers who said you wouldn't simply just work on their heading etc in isolation.

In the higher leagues full time professional I can get that. By then that techniques are squared away is a given maybe. Whether Beckham stayed behind to practice, practice, practice crossing?

Youth intake's in tier 2/3 of some of the more obscure leagues and it's not made crystal clear in the training page how to work on the more basics of football just seems bizarre to take out of a game that worked for years just fine.

3 hours ago, LukasZ_VCF said:

I didn't play games since like 2012 and now I am back, played 1 season with Valencia (Spain) and now I am at the end of the season and I wonder, do I have to send players on holidays by myself? When I played in old versions they went on holidays at the end of the season automically I wonder how is it now? Maybe since my reserve team play playoffs games to promote to higher league noone goes for holidays ?

Anyone ?

No, they will go on holiday automatically just fine as always did, not necessarily the day after your last 1st team fixture but once all club commitments for the season done (youth etc). If they don't in your save I'd think it was a bug and worth reporting.

Edited by Jibby123

Its like the last week of June if I remember correctly and they are still there I think reserves have to play one more match 3rd round to promote if it is the last... I wonder if there will be any problem with players if they don't go and in July season starts without holidays

27 minutes ago, Jibby123 said:

The individual training has gone backwards in FM19 imvho. Vital attributes can't be worked on for role/position can, irrelevant one's can.

Where in the football world or pyramid can a manger not ask/demand a player to improve his tackling, heading and crossing with extra or individual training focus.

Totally agree mate 

21 minutes ago, Jibby123 said:

In the higher leagues full time professional I can get that. By then that techniques are squared away is a given maybe. Whether Beckham stayed behind to practice, practice, practice crossing?

Youth intake's in tier 2/3 of some of the more obscure leagues and it's not made crystal clear in the training page how to work on the more basics of football just seems bizarre to take out of a game that worked for years just fine.

This is something coaches at many levels (and age groups) were advising them on. So it's hard to fault them for listening to the experts. I don't doubt that it won't cover absolutely every model, but its been based on pretty comprehensive advice across the board

2 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

I get that. But what was wrong with the old method? Click improve heading. No hassle. Now I've got to mess about with schedules and roles!

You forever read interviews with young players about how they can improve their game, and a majority will say they need to improve their heading. As a manager i see a young DC with a terrible heading rating. I would just love to say, "yeah kid, you really need to work on your heading. Fullstop." Now I've got to come up with a schedule! 

9 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

I get that. But what was wrong with the old method? Click improve heading. No hassle. Now I've got to mess about with schedules and roles!

What was wrong is that it is impossible to train heading by yourself. At a bare minimum, you need someone to cross/pass the ball so that you can head. Ideally, you need to be competing for the header as well, so that you can practice your accuracy under pressure. 

1 hour ago, Bothan Spy said:

You forever read interviews with young players about how they can improve their game, and a majority will say they need to improve their heading. As a manager i see a young DC with a terrible heading rating. I would just love to say, "yeah kid, you really need to work on your heading. Fullstop." Now I've got to come up with a schedule! 

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

What was wrong is that it is impossible to train heading by yourself. At a bare minimum, you need someone to cross/pass the ball so that you can head. Ideally, you need to be competing for the header as well, so that you can practice your accuracy under pressure. 

Just to add, what does the "Heading" attribute actually do?  Here's what the Online Manual (linked at the top) says:

"This is a player’s competence in aerial situations. Heading applies to all situations with the ball in the air and is only about the player’s ability to use his head well. Jumping Reach, Height, and to a lesser extent Strength all play a part in combination with heading to utilise the attribute to greater effect."

In other words, don't consider Heading in isolation.  So want to improve someone's Heading?  Improve everything else that goes along with it too.  And then apply that same theory to all the other attributes and their development as well.  For example, here's what the Online Manual says about Dribbling (to name another commonly mentioned "why can't I develop this attribute in isolation"): Pace, Acceleration, Agility, and Balance will all aid his dribbling in different circumstance.

It should also be noted that the "ability to use his head well" isn't on a scale of 1 = my old granny, 20 = best ever.  It's on a scale of professional footballer's ability - so 1 is still streets ahead of the likes of us.

I watched a few years ago a video from an italian football academy where they trained their CBs to defend crosses. There were 2 defenders vs 2 attackers and the coach was delivering the crosses, so you can't complain how the new training module works. It's much closer to real life.

How would a defender improve his heading ability by himself? He needs minimum 2 other human beings to assist him. The same goes for dribbling. You think dribbling past cones would help him improve his dribbling? Can he dribble past defenders as easy as he did past the cones? So it's logical that these attributes will only improve in collective training sessions.

Edited by Vali184

seems to me that since the beta the game has gone backwards rather than forwards. defenders doing weird stuff like leaving the ball when its no where near the keeper and then walking away. players keeping hold of the ball when there are 4 or 5 passes on and then losing the ball. league cup england, in the beta all the top sides played weaker squads or young kids now they play their strongest 11 ? is is poss to move forward with the game in the next update ?

vor 4 Minuten schrieb jamessmith010101:

seems to me that since the beta the game has gone backwards rather than forwards. defenders doing weird stuff like leaving the ball when its no where near the keeper and then walking away. players keeping hold of the ball when there are 4 or 5 passes on and then losing the ball. league cup england, in the beta all the top sides played weaker squads or young kids now they play their strongest 11 ? is is poss to move forward with the game in the next update ?

You can join the public beta and test and play a version with a lot of changes and fixes.

2 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

Yes but I'm not satisfied with his answer or the method of trying to achieve it.

But that is the way you do it in the game........

IRL you get a couple of attackers, a bag full of balls, a GK and you go over to an area of the  training pitch and work on heading - ideally, you gather a group of players together who can all benefit - a GK who needs to work on aerial ability , like claiming crosses, defenders who need to work on defending corners or crosses and attackers who need to improve their  attacking headers and you schedule a session for that group of players.

Just like FM.......

24 minutes ago, Snorks said:

But that is the way you do it in the game........

IRL you get a couple of attackers, a bag full of balls, a GK and you go over to an area of the  training pitch and work on heading - ideally, you gather a group of players together who can all benefit - a GK who needs to work on aerial ability , like claiming crosses, defenders who need to work on defending corners or crosses and attackers who need to improve their  attacking headers and you schedule a session for that group of players.

Just like FM.......

No it's not. What's wrong with clicking a button and telling a player he needs to improve his heading? 

Now I have to come up with a schedule. It's not even realistic. Its a joke. The training in general this version is just aweful. You need a degree in sports science to even get to grips with it. And don't get me started on the transfers! Selling players at the start of a new game has become daft.

I'm a veteran player of fm/ championship manager but the training and transfers have just got way to complicated. 

I despair of a new player or a returning one because even I'm baffled by the unnecessary and messy training and the watered down transfers. It's killed my enjoyment. 

4 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

No it's not. What's wrong with clicking a button and telling a player he needs to improve his heading? 

What would you do if your coach took you to one side and said "I need you to improve your heading"

All you could realistically do, on your own, is go play head tennis with yourself against a wall.

Realistically, at a professional club, the coaches would bring it up in one of their meetings, identify that player - X needs to improve their heading and design activities around that to be worked in to that week's schedule.

How is it not realistic in FM?

Edited by Snorks

Having some trouble with the public beta here. I did the properties- public beta and downloaded the patch but when I try to create a new game, 19.2 patch isn't available to use and still 19.1.0. I still have my first save from the official release but that shouldn't effect it should it?? 

I absolutely love the defenders of the game. It's admiral. 

But, Horror! The game is not perfect! Shock! It's got flaws & isn't perfect. Wow! 

Coming up with excuses to defend it doesn't get you kudos.

The game is still flawed. Stop trying to defend it. Unless you want a Mod job...

Every computer game - every piece of computer software, for that matter - has flaws. What you have identified as flaws, though, are arguably not.

Unless you manage to invent a football-launching machine (like what tennis players use), you cannot realistically ask your players to train their heading abilities independently. Likewise, it's difficult for them to train their crossing abilities by themselves. In taking those options away, FM19 has not taken any aspects of realism away; rather, they have added realism.

Your other major gripe - about clubs not wanting to buy players in the first transfer window, and said window being very stale - has been discussed to death before. Frankly, I don't think it's worth trying to explain to you once again why they are not 'flaws'.

1 hour ago, Bothan Spy said:

Now I have to come up with a schedule. It's not even realistic. Its a joke. The training in general this version is just aweful. You need a degree in sports science to even get to grips with it. And don't get me started on the transfers! Selling players at the start of a new game has become daft.

I'm a veteran player of fm/ championship manager but the training and transfers have just got way to complicated. 

I despair of a new player or a returning one because even I'm baffled by the unnecessary and messy training and the watered down transfers. It's killed my enjoyment. 

Clubs have already made transfers and their budgets are depleted, that's why you can't sell your players at a start of a save. It has been explained many, many times on this thread why that happens. 

And about your training issues, this game falls into simulator category, so it's normal that it tries to simulate reality. The training module is as real as it can get in a game. Your players can and will develop with the right training, but bear in mind that the development have been toned down so players won't reach their potential at 21-24 anymore. This doesn't happen in real life either.

17 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

But, Horror! The game is not perfect! Shock! It's got flaws & isn't perfect. Wow! 

The game is still flawed. Stop trying to defend it. Unless you want a Mod job...

There's a big difference between explaining something to help you understand what's happening and simply defending the game.

You don't like that you can't just tell someone to train Heading and you say that isn't "realistic".  We get that.  It's been explained to you how the new Training system has been pulled together - in conjunction with real life football clubs.  Your experience of working with football clubs is clearly different as you have a different view of what's realistic.  SI always welcome constructive discussion so do please pass on how your experience of working with these clubs (and thus of reality) differs :thup:.

But please don't resort to sarcasm and insults just because someone is offering up a different opinion or trying to explain things to you.

43 minutes ago, Bothan Spy said:

Well, something here we can agree on....

"The game is not perfect! Shock! It's got flaws & isn't perfect. Wow! "

I couldn't agree with that statement more. The difference between us is in our perception and how we process that perception into our gameplay and then how we project that to the outside world (on forums).

I question whether your 'flaw' is actually a flaw, when it is a simulation of the way the real-world goes about things (training for example).

18 minutes ago, d d said:

That was one sided game and you only score once.

42 shots is quite insane. that's like 1 shot every 2 minute. lol. with 49 crosses. 1 cross every ~1.8 minutes. 

Edited by upthetoon