Official Football Manager 2015 Pre Release Beta Feedback Thread - Update 15.0.3

How have the keepers not been fixed yet? This game is nigh on unplayable at the minute, with keepers about as useful as planks of wood. Every game has about 8 goals, pretty unbelievable that there hasn't been a patch at least attempting to fix it yet

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of exam weeks and thesis stuff I didn't have time to give my feedback on FM15. Most of the issues with the UI I had, have already been reported but I wanted to add something to the feedback on the tactics screen.

In the tactics screen, if I click on the name of one of my subs a menu opens which includes all players in my squad in no particular order. If I remember correctly in FM14 you could click on the player's position instead and were presented with a list sorted on position which included all players in my squad.

Since the sorting of the players does not make sense, it is hard to know whether I need to scroll either up or down to find a particular player. On a desktop PC, while annoying, it is less of a problem because the scroll wheel of the mouse let's you fly through the menu, however, if I play FM on my laptop without a mouse it is less easy to scroll through a menu so at the least I would like to know which way I need to scroll to find a particular player. You could of course argue that I should just drag and drop players to the pitch overview, but again that's pretty easy with a mouse, but I find it annoying to do that with a trackpad on a laptop (or maybe I just have bad motor skills :D ).

Thanks for all the work and your presence on the forum, SI! The ME looks great this year and while I am already enjoying FM15 a lot, I can't wait untill the full release when everything is optimized.

How have the keepers not been fixed yet? This game is nigh on unplayable at the minute, with keepers about as useful as planks of wood. Every game has about 8 goals, pretty unbelievable that there hasn't been a patch at least attempting to fix it yet

Planks of wood can be very useful if applied correctly in the right circumstances.

Goalkeeping is a known issue, and uploading examples of duff keeping to the bugs forum is the best way to get them fixed for release.

This is only the beta. full release is only a week a way. I would imagine SI are fully focused on that. I'm sure by next week things will be sorted.

Are you watching the games in your save?

I'm guessing not in which case I wouldn't consider it flawed.

I see your point but it's only a year in. The majority of the players are the original players that start there. I know your scouting knowledge goes down as time goes on but if I remember correctly, my scouting knowledge of my favourite club wasn't there to start with. Also, managing in the Hungarian second division I don't have any real need to show up to games but who's to say I wouldn't be watching them on tv? Let's take someone like Lee Clark for example. Manages Blackpool but a lifelong Newcastle fan. Do you think just because he has no need to attend our games he's not going to know about the club he's supported since being a boy?

I definitely get where you're coming from and why it's happening in game but I see no reason as to why you shouldn't know about the club you support.

Just spoke to my 2 attacking mids and criticised them for their passing, one said he's a defender and it's not his strong point, the other said he's a astriker and his job is to score goals, WTF?????

Waaaaaay! I'm sure someone's FM bingo card just won...

Ever thought it might not be that easy to fix? Given it isn't affecting everyone, I'd say that's pretty much certain. Would you rather they just threw together a "fix" and released it? Or would you, more likely, end up giving them more stick in that situation. When they have a fix, they'll release it.

Is this an official statement or just your speculation, cuz - as far as I remember - its always been live around week before release day?

Sorry for the off-top.

Has it? Could be wrong, but fairly sure I've seen it mentioned that it would be around release, and think it was the same last year. However, if I'm wrong, will hold my hands up and accept as such.

Ok, so feedback then.

Well, I've clocked up around 60 hours so far, where I've just completed a full season on the full FM and I'm about halfway through a save on FMC.

This game, for me, has a helluva lot to live up to. Not only was FM14 my favourite game of the whole series so far, after almost 3000 hours on it, it's now become my favourite computer/video game of all time. Period. Sorry, Lara.

No pressure then.

Ok, in the style of Sergio Leoni (ask yer dads), here's the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

The Good

-The overall UI is much more polished, and moves a bit smoother too. I like the default fonts (look particularly good on FMC), and the whole thing looks more professional. Wasn't sure about the sidebar at first, but I'm used to it now, and I've now got the skin where it's just the icons down the side, so it's even better now.

- Scouting. A major revamp on previous versions, and probably the single biggest improvement in the game. I love the way it now takes time to properly scout a player, and your scout's attributes are now more important than ever. The only downside in this is the length of time it takes a scout to work out whether a player needs a work permit. I'm prepared to be educated as to where this info might be elsewhere, but I rarely see this on scout reports until the player has reached 100% scouting. Surely this is one of the first bits of info you should be told, so you can decide whether to continue scouting.

- In-game team talks. This is a genius addition, and is something I've wanted in the game for years, so credit where it's due. Team Talks by their very nature can seem a bit placebo effect-ness, but in certain games over my season, it certainly feels as though - on occasion - they've made a difference. One example in particular was drawing 0-0 at home to a weaker opponent and I used the assertive 'Get Creative' talk, and I proceeded to score a lovely goal involving four players around five minutes later. Coincidence? Maybe, but we all like to think it's us who have made the difference. That's the nature of the game after all.

- Player interaction. A lot of people have moaned about this over the course of the thread, but I love the way the players are becoming more real as each version progresses. Yes, there's some bugs there that I've experienced, such as the one above about sending a player back to his home country for a while then getting a player revolt, but these will be worked on. I particularly like the way you can now ask a senior player to help with an issue you're having with another player. It adds another element of depth and realism to the game, and it's a big step forward here.

The Bad

The Match Engine/3D animations - Ok, it's perhaps a bit unfair to bash it too much when it's still at the beta stage, and I'm sure when it's ironed out it'll be fine, but right now the 3D match view is a major step backwards from FM14, to the point that I now watch all games on 2D (and I'll come to that in a minute). Motion capture technology was a bold move to try and add realism, but when you're dealing with match graphics as basic as this - compared to AAA titles elsewhere - I feel it just doesn't work as well. The players look disjointed, and for the first time (for me), I'm really noticing the dreaded 'ice skating' effect really badly. Goalkeeper animations are better, although until keepers in general are fixed, it won't really matter how good the animations are if they continue to let in such stupid goals on a regular basis. One thing I'm dissapointed hasn't changed is the unnatural angles the ball flies off the keeper. If I'm shooting from the right side of the box high towards the keeper's right, I'd expect him to turn it over the bar in roughly the same area, not for the ball to bounce off him and go round the opposite post. Oh, and the nets. I'd love to see the ball settling into the back of the net when you score instead of rebounding back out like it's hit a brick wall. The balls also have an unrealistic bounce off other players, which you can see more prominently in 2D. There was one occasion where a player headed at goal, the ball bounced off a player on the line and flew all the way to the halfway line, disobeying every law of physics there is! All other problems with the ME have been highlighted. I must say that I encountered most of these issues in the FMC save, in fact in my full FM save, goalscoring was at a realisitic level. I actually managed 25 clean sheets in 46 games. (And then got trounced, inexplicably, 7-3 in the playoff final, but that's another story). However on the FMC save, at a lower level, defending and goalkeeping was just non-existant. Massive scores everywhere. Quite a bit to sort out overall there.

*On the subject of 2D, dunno if it's been mentioned but I now can't watch a game on 2D with highlights in 3D as when it comes back from the first highlight, the little player dots are about half the size, and it ruins the immersion.

Amount of times to continue the game - I mentioned this in my post last night. I'm finiding it a tedious chore going from week to week in game just now. Sometimes I've having to hit contine 3 or 4 times a day just to progress to the next day, even if there's no news items or any other reason for the game to stop. While I'm here, I'd also like it if it went straight to your inbox when you get a new message rather than the home screen,and it would also be nice if it went to the first new message rather than the last read one. But that's just scenery really.

The Ugly

You know what's coming here, right?....

Tactics Screen - Ok, I'm a bit calmer about it now after a week, but I mean, really? The tactics screen on FM14 was perfection. Everything you needed to know at your fingertips in a concise and logical manner. Then they changed it to this. Having the player roles on the opposite side of the screen to the icons on the pitch is a dreadful idea. And as has been mentioned before creates a lot of 'dead space' on screen when you scroll down to your substitutes. Talking of which, picking subs is now a major pain. I simply can't use the pop up box as the info includes all the currently picked players, and although there's the option to sort the columns, none of the sorting fields are 'players already picked' which would have your first XI out the way leaving just the list of subs. I now just drag and drop subs onto the relevant spaces. Not being able to right click those spaces to auto assign in/out your subs is also a huge oversight. I'm pretty much used to the tactics screen now, but I still don't like it. The worst part is that I feel there was no reason to change it, not to that extent anyway.

Right, that's my lunch hour over, so I'll need to stop there.

In summary, the save I had on full FM was most enjoyable, and a lot of the bugs I've seen reported didn't seem to affect me. FMC (I'll leave more specifics on that forum) has been a different kettle of fish though, although it's probably more to do with the level managed at rather than the mode itself.

It's another great game this year, and there's some really cool new features, but I feel it's lost a bit of what made FM14 truly great, and I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

Oh, and you've got the seat colours at Stirling Albion's stadium wrong AGAIN. Tsk. :rolleyes:

7/10 so far.

Planks of wood can be very useful if applied correctly in the right circumstances.

Goalkeeping is a known issue, and uploading examples of duff keeping to the bugs forum is the best way to get them fixed for release.

I meant about as useful as having planks of wood in nets, which I'm beginning to think might be more useful than the current keepers

I've played for a week, and almost 2 seasons....

Match engine seems boring to me, it is like I always play the same match : one team leading by 2 ou 3 goals, and then the other ones comes back, whatever tactics, coaching or anything else...

first time giving me emotions, and now making me boring great : "whatever I am winning or loosing 3/0 at halftime, it's gonna be 3/3" ...

And something making me first laugh and then mad : my assistant saying me that we should play a direct football, and when listening to him saying to me "we do not have posseion, we should keep ball"

my assisant :

5' : we should play direct balls

10' : we should keep the ball

15' : we should play direct balls

20' : we should keep the ball

....etc

question : Guess my assistant a cat, am I right ? (want to enter, want to go outside... want to enter...want to go outside)

There shouldn't really be a holiday option - the only time I see a manager take a break is for a family event, weddings, funerals, etc.

The option could really be renamed to "Fast Track" and only available over international breaks, or long periods of non-playing events, (friendlies can already be set up that your assistant manager takes control of those).

But you should get important news items.

Bids for players

Agent offers

Bids for coaches

Player unrest

etc.

After you get the news item you continue your "Fast Track". But I've never believed you should be holiday a match - that's a bit weird. In saying that, I've often won a league with 8 games to go and I just play the best youngsters and "holiday" the game - as I have no fear of losing the league. But I shouldn't really be able to holiday the last 8 games of a season, even if I've won it. Instead, an option to approach the board and ask them for extended leave as I've won the league and leave instructions to play youth players.

Maybe the board agrees maybe they don't, that's up to the board. But I shouldn't be able to take a 4 week holiday coming to the end of a season.

Agreed. Currently, I think the "Go on Holiday" option is a bit ambiguous and is treated as more of a "Go on simulation" - it's unfortunate that my simulated manager form is a complete dumbass. Also, it's weird to me that when decisions are simulated for you while on holiday they are treated the same as if you WEREN'T on holiday and instead responded in person. If I was truly going on holiday you think the players/staff would know that and wait for me to return to bring their issues to me, or if it's pressing get a hold of me somehow with the current technology we have in 2014 (see turkish prison analogy in previous post). Instead, it seems that every time you go on holiday the board erects a cardboard cutout of you with a hidden voice recording that repeats "lol no" on loop in front of your office to make decisions and answer questions for your players/staff/agent-with-the-half-star-keeper :mad:

Users shouldn't be punished for wanting to (as you put it) fast track through some parts of the season, and as it stands now the "Go on Holiday" system is very flawed.

Just noticed that the option to designate a position as the "Taker" of a throw in seem to have been removed in FM15. Please re-add this, it was a great addition to FM14 for people who believe the team is greater than the player and cared more about the position, rather than the player, taking set pieces!

They removed it? And here I was hoping they'd added that to the corner and free-kick taker duties as well.

Counter attacks are over powered in my experience.

Players seem to run faster with the ball at their feet than without, resulting in lots of 1 man counter attacks leaving opponents and team mates for dead.

Happens a lot from indirect free kicks, either its an offside goal or a defender wins a header and someone goes on solo run up the other end.

Counter attacks are over powered in my experience.

Players seem to run faster with the ball at their feet than without, resulting in lots of 1 man counter attacks leaving opponents and team mates for dead.

Happens a lot from indirect free kicks, either its an offside goal or a defender wins a header and someone goes on solo run up the other end.

Well that's how it is in real life too. Players are faster without the ball rather than with.

And counter attacks are overpowered in real-life too, see how Real Madrid demolished Bayern last year as an example :)

Agreed. Currently, I think the "Go on Holiday" option is a bit ambiguous and is treated as more of a "Go on simulation" - it's unfortunate that my simulated manager form is a complete dumbass. Also, it's weird to me that when decisions are simulated for you while on holiday they are treated the same as if you WEREN'T on holiday and instead responded in person. If I was truly going on holiday you think the players/staff would know that and wait for me to return to bring their issues to me, or if it's pressing get a hold of me somehow with the current technology we have in 2014 (see turkish prison analogy in previous post). Instead, it seems that every time you go on holiday the board erects a cardboard cutout of you with a hidden voice recording that repeats "lol no" on loop in front of your office to make decisions and answer questions for your players/staff/agent-with-the-half-star-keeper :mad:

Users shouldn't be punished for wanting to (as you put it) fast track through some parts of the season, and as it stands now the "Go on Holiday" system is very flawed.

Agreed that it's very flawed.

Maybe the Go On Holiday should be replaced with "Simulate Game Play" and you have options on which topics you want to be informed on when the game is simulating, like I listed earlier.

PKMs showing instances of this would be very welcome in the ME Bugs forum. :)

Sorry but this was too funny. I am sure SI will have big success if they have a go at furniture manager.

I have a pair of wingbacks that are quite nice in that game. Not inverted, mind you.

High scoring games are being looked at.

You should post the thing about the assistant manger feedback in the bugs forum.

Thanks for responding :)

that's not only about "high scoring" (in fact, hign scores do not bored me :) ) but "scenario of the match", I never had a scenario looking like each team scoring at their turn, that always is same way to have an high score: a team is leading easily at halftim and then will loose easily the second half...

I do not says it never happens IRL sometimes It goes like that, but that most times, when your opponents score the 3rd goal and you haven't scored any, your moral is going really down...

But I guess if they are looking at high scoring games, they will have a look on the way it cames and scenario of the game ;-)...

I'll post on the right forum the assistant problem ;-)

So, 1 on 1's with the keeper.

It's worse than it's ever been now, and is seriously beginning to hold the game back and undermine the entire experience.

FM15 has managed to turn the most desired and reliable goalscoring chance in football bar putting a player in front of an empty net into the single most unreliable way of scoring goals.

Daniel Sturridge is one of the best finishers in the game by the looks of it, a whopping 19 finishing and 16 composure.

When he's one on one with the keeper I know with absolute certainty that it's not going to be a goal - it will either go wide or be saved by the keeper, every single time without exception. Ditto for every other player.

This has been going on for far too long now, I think they tweaked it some years ago because it was all too easy to set up a 4-2-3-1 with a creative AMC feeding through balls to a poacher who'd end up with 40 goals a season with ease.

That's nice, but it's completely unbalanced and has gone too far down the opposite extreme. I can confidently say my one on one conversion ratio is probably less than 5%, if that.

It's absurd that this is what I get for setting up a solid tactic which creates plenty of chances for my strikers.

I'm considering just setting up a completely gamey and gimmicky tactic designed to shoot from distance as much as possible so as to take advantage of the fact that GK's will drop the ball to an opposition player 9 times out of 10 and that this is currently the main source of goals in the game.

With this being a Beta, can someone explain why they aren't getting us to test match engine changes as they compile them?

Surely we can help iron out these issues faster if they used this as a proper Beta, and people would see the progress that SI are making daily?

Got to be honest the ONLY issue for is the ridiculous high scoring game I like everything else including tactics screen! However until they sort the high scoring games out I can't play it. Any idea if an update will be released before next friday? Just worried they will sort the high scoring out and every game be 0-0! So therefore I feel a update before official release would be beneficial!?

With this being a Beta, can someone explain why they aren't getting us to test match engine changes as they compile them?

Surely we can help iron out these issues faster if they used this as a proper Beta, and people would see the progress that SI are making daily?

Must admit i thought this too

Because they will have their own internal beta and a closed beta running, as always. What a mass beta like this does is stress test other areas, collate mass data (providing people upload PKMs etc) and allow people to get an early feel for it

It's worse than it's ever been now, and is seriously beginning to hold the game back and undermine the entire experience.

FM15 has managed to turn the most desired and reliable goalscoring chance in football bar putting a player in front of an empty net into the single most unreliable way of scoring goals.

Daniel Sturridge is one of the best finishers in the game by the looks of it, a whopping 19 finishing and 16 composure.

When he's one on one with the keeper I know with absolute certainty that it's not going to be a goal - it will either go wide or be saved by the keeper, every single time without exception. Ditto for every other player.

This has been going on for far too long now, I think they tweaked it some years ago because it was all too easy to set up a 4-2-3-1 with a creative AMC feeding through balls to a poacher who'd end up with 40 goals a season with ease.

That's nice, but it's completely unbalanced and has gone too far down the opposite extreme. I can confidently say my one on one conversion ratio is probably less than 5%, if that.

It's absurd that this is what I get for setting up a solid tactic which creates plenty of chances for my strikers.

I'm considering just setting up a completely gamey and gimmicky tactic designed to shoot from distance as much as possible so as to take advantage of the fact that GK's will drop the ball to an opposition player 9 times out of 10 and that this is currently the main source of goals in the game.

Fix it already.

Until the defensive AI is sorted first, this is always going to be an issue. In reality, no matter how good your tactic is, you should only be getting a couple of clear 1v1s per match, if that. Think about how many you genuinely see in real life, it's not as frequent as you think.

So, two things have to happen. If they simply up the conversion rate where it stands just now, then some tactics will have you winning by ridiculous scorelines. The AI of defenders needs to improve considerably, so that clear 1v1 chances are rare in game, and then the conversion rate can be changed to a more realistic amount, with the players relevant stats having an influence on whether the chance is finished.

This is one of the things that ruined FM12 for me. Have a quick striker, and play through balls, and you could conceivably win every game.

So yes, the conversions of 1v1s may need improved, but there's stuff that has to be fixed beforehand.

Talking of defensive AI, this badly needs improved in general. One of the main reasons so many goals are scored via rebounds is because nine times out of ten, after a rebound, only the attacking players actually react. Still also seeing the age old problem of centre halves just stopping when a ball is played forward instead of trying to stop the attacker. This part of the AI is underdeveloped, and has been for some time, but it feels a lot worse this year so far.

Because they will have their own internal beta and a closed beta running, as always. What a mass beta like this does is stress test other areas, collate mass data (providing people upload PKMs etc) and allow people to get an early feel for it

But this mass Beta has obviously highlighted match engine issues that an internal Beta couldn't possibly hope to do (due to the scale of people involved)

I would have thought this would be an opportunity to use the fanbase, as opposed to leave us wondering

But this mass Beta has obviously highlighted match engine issues that an internal Beta couldn't possibly hope to do (due to the scale of people involved)

I would have thought this would be an opportunity to use the fanbase, as opposed to leave us wondering

Except almost all of the issues were already known. As shown by the opening post.

They do use the fanbase, in the closed beta.

Except almost all of the issues were already known. As shown by the opening post.

They do use the fanbase, in the closed beta.

I still think they could analyse these changes much much quicker by just using what is on offer. They know about the issue, fair enough, but nothing has been said since then. They may spend another week testing their fixes, only to release a patch on 7th Nov, which introduces another fault. A situation they could avoid by getting the masses to test beforehand.

Appreciate that SI are exceptional in their customer service, but I think they are missing a trick here

I still think they could analyse these changes much much quicker by just using what is on offer. They know about the issue, fair enough, but nothing has been said since then. They may spend another week testing their fixes, only to release a patch on 7th Nov, which introduces another fault. A situation they could avoid by getting the masses to test beforehand.

Appreciate that SI are exceptional in their customer service, but I think they are missing a trick here

I think you really underestimate the number of changes they can do, and how they do it. You'll be suprised how many iterations might pass before a said patch becomes live. They did a long open beta some years back (if my memory serves me well), and there is a reason why they haven't gone back to it.

Maybe they are confident of being nearly there and relaxed about ironing out all the bugs that have been flagged so far.

Or there has been a major disaster fixing the bugs and are unable to release an update at the moment.

I know you're probably working on it but I'm getting so annoyed with my keeper flapping every save straight to opposition strikers who ALWAYS finish the follow up no matter how tight the angle :( I have at least 1 a game, usually more. I'm also having sooo many 8 or more goal matches hahaha! I know you know about that one too. Good luck sorting everything out!

Agree with this, solid finishers miss the target far too often.. they would at least hit the targets 8 times out of 10 in a 1 on1

I think you really underestimate the number of changes they can do, and how they do it. They did a long open beta some years back (if my memory serves me well), and there is a reason why they haven't gone back to it.

You are probably right, but maybe that's a communications thing.

There are hundreds of people on here, like myself, who would be willing to give up time to help out.

There are hundreds of people on here, like myself, who would be willing to give up time to help out.

I don't mean this to sound rude or anything, but why haven't you then? The bugs forum is there and we've had many excellent bug reports from users. Reading the feedback from SI in the individual threads, the examples are really helping.

I don't mean this to sound rude or anything, but why haven't you then? The bugs forum is there and we've had many excellent bug reports there. Reading the feedback from SI in the individual threads, the examples are really helping.

That's a fair comment, but almost every game I am seeing horrendous goalkeeping errors, woodwork being hit constantly, defenders taking pot shots at their own goal (and I play as two top flight clubs). These errors have all been reported and when people open a new thread reporting this, they usually get a polite message stating it is already known.

Ill take your feedback on board though and log what I see going forward

The fact that the entire team gets unhappy for almost anything makes the game quite unplayable. It's hard to know if you lose the games because your tactics doesn't work or if you lose the games because the players ignore your instructions because they hate you.

Thanks for this. It seems like the people (the three on this page, at least) who like/don't mind the new tactics screen are the ones who don't really use it much. That probably says something by itself.

I didn't say I don't use it much; I said I don't use it for picking my team. I still use it quite a lot for tactical adaptations etc ahead of and during matches.

Oh and does anyone know if you can get something similar to the old player season stats box back? down the bottom of player profile. I miss knowing how many assists my players have and how they do in cups, league, international etc :(

Archived