Official Football Manager 2015 Pre Release Beta Feedback Thread - Update 15.0.3

And the game continues, as with previous editions of FM, to show basically all players of 25+ in age as having achieved their maximum potential. This is also not realistic, many players make marked improvements in their later careers.

True, Just look at Stu Downing at West Ham this year! He'll be back for England soon at this rate!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, Just look at Stu Downing at West Ham this year! He'll be back for England soon at this rate!

I wouldn't say Downing has improved his natural abilities. His form has just improved due to West Ham playing more to his strengths and having a stronger team this year. FM can already replicate this. Same with the Yaya Toure example, I wouldn't say he improved much/if at all when he joined Man City from Barcelona, but English football suited him more, he was less restrained as he was a bigger fish in a smaller pond and was played in a more advanced role, hence he performed better. FM can replicate this too.

Very very few players actually improve past the age of 25, in most cases they've simply found a team or a system that enables them to play better.

After playing around with the game a bit more, I have come back to my pet peeve in this game: Tutoring.

Tutoring of young potential stars is important in most instances to ensure that they develop fully. And yet again there is not much help from the UI. I can't say anything about the documentation/help as that is not in the game yet. But I have my doubts that anything helpful can be found there after years of whining about it and nothing happening.

As for the UI, there are now only three choices for tutors/tutees. I can find no other way of selecting the tutor/tutee I want if that person doesn't show amongst the most suitable ones on the Training screen.

I can't seem to grasp what criteria are used for the selection of these three. It doesn't seem to make sense. I bought a young right back with the following stats:

Determination: 10, Personality: Ambitious, Media handling Style: Media Friendly.

One of the tutors suggested as the most suitable was a 23 year old M/AM R with the following stats:

Determination: 5, Personality: Balanced, Media Handling style: Media Friendly.

I of course don't know if things have changed in this year's edition, but I doubt much has changed.

So why am I suggested in using this guy? .. he would most likely decrease the determination and ambition stats of my youngster, both of which could hurt his development. There are other players in my squad who would be more appropriate. So it is not like I only had three choices.

Also a few other questions have turned up:

1. Age of tutors. I have a 23 year old (the one above) who can tutor, but one of my 25-year olds can't because he is "too young to tutor". How is it decided who can and who can't?

2. Player/Coaches. I think in earlier editions they could tutor, and I have one who have "no suitable tutees" when looking on the Training screen. I tried changing his squad status to First Team, and got a 1/2-star 16 year old on a free transfer, where I would assume the Player/Coach with years of football would have a higher reputation (playing in League 2 in his younger days, and having been at Bath City for almost 10 years). Still he can't tutor anyone. Since I don't have an editor yet, I can't see his reputation stat, so the reputation thing is just a guess.

I was hoping for a bit more clarification on this, this year. Otherwise I guess it is back to reverse-engineering it again to find out the mechanics.

Maybe SI can clarify whether there have been any major changes in how tutoring works? :)

OK, literally just started FM15. I don't like any of the main screens. They're too blocky, like a 4 year old's book. I loved the clean lines of FM14 and it doesn't look professional.

The new colors make the screen look too cluttered

After playing around with the game a bit more, I have come back to my pet peeve in this game: Tutoring.

Tutoring of young potential stars is important in most instances to ensure that they develop fully. And yet again there is not much help from the UI. I can't say anything about the documentation/help as that is not in the game yet. But I have my doubts that anything helpful can be found there after years of whining about it and nothing happening.

As for the UI, there are now only three choices for tutors/tutees. I can find no other way of selecting the tutor/tutee I want if that person doesn't show amongst the most suitable ones on the Training screen.

I can't seem to grasp what criteria are used for the selection of these three. It doesn't seem to make sense. I bought a young right back with the following stats:

Determination: 10, Personality: Ambitious, Media handling Style: Media Friendly.

One of the tutors suggested as the most suitable was a 23 year old M/AM R with the following stats:

Determination: 5, Personality: Balanced, Media Handling style: Media Friendly.

I of course don't know if things have changed in this year's edition, but I doubt much has changed.

So why am I suggested in using this guy? .. he would most likely decrease the determination and ambition stats of my youngster, both of which could hurt his development. There are other players in my squad who would be more appropriate. So it is not like I only had three choices.

Also a few other questions have turned up:

1. Age of tutors. I have a 23 year old (the one above) who can tutor, but one of my 25-year olds can't because he is "too young to tutor". How is it decided who can and who can't?

2. Player/Coaches. I think in earlier editions they could tutor, and I have one who have "no suitable tutees" when looking on the Training screen. I tried changing his squad status to First Team, and got a 1/2-star 16 year old on a free transfer, where I would assume the Player/Coach with years of football would have a higher reputation (playing in League 2 in his younger days, and having been at Bath City for almost 10 years). Still he can't tutor anyone. Since I don't have an editor yet, I can't see his reputation stat, so the reputation thing is just a guess.

I was hoping for a bit more clarification on this, this year. Otherwise I guess it is back to reverse-engineering it again to find out the mechanics.

Maybe SI can clarify whether there have been any major changes in how tutoring works? :)

I'm going to buck the trend here :D and advise you to start a thread on the subject using your post in its entirety.

Bearing in mind that this is just the Beta I'll try to be kinder in my observations than if I was playing the full release.

I think the motion capture is pretty good and creates some aesthetically pleasing goals, the goalkeepers dives look more realistic and I think the ball physics are the best I've seen on an FM, long raking cross field passes being a highlight.

I really don't like the new tactics screen, it has less functionality than FM14 and makes the tactical options far less accessible in my opinion. I liked having the roles I was setting for the players on the formation interface, it gave a far better idea of how balanced my team was/is. I still think the ME chance conversion rate is too low, the number of sitters I have seen missed going one on one with the goalkeeper (perhaps to compensate for the sheer volume of clear chances) is unbalanced. Defending is likewise quite poor with a real hesitancy to close down even when instructed to.

There's a lot of potential for the ME but I guess only time will tell whether it realises it or not. For now I am holding back on my main save until I feel that there is a greater balance to the game.

The in-match assistant advice column needs moving further over to the right. There's no reason for it to be as far over as it is. It blocks far too much of the match.

Setting the first teamers who need match fitness to be available for the reserves has gone from being perfectly executed, to unnecessarily fiddly. Just give us the option to set everyone who needs match fitness to be available with one click please. And do away with the assistants suggestions. Why would I want EVERYONE who I haven't selected in my next game (which I haven't selected ANYONE for yet) to be available. Another instance of fixing something that wasn't broken.

question is there any people going on about how the game seems to be pushing graphics cards my gpu was perfect on fm14 but on fm 15 it seems to speed up the fan so must mean its pushing it too hard. my card is decent and runs battlefields no problem. Thanks

There's some optimisation going on so wait on that one.

Not sure whether this is a bug or whether I'm being stupid but windowed mode seems to stop me from accessing certain things that are too low down on the screen like tones during meetings and stuff. Am I just doing summat stupid here?

Pretty sure some have said so in this thread, it's a long read though :)

One of the reasons I hardly ever use the forums anymore.

To get back on track with the feedback. I find the new tutoring to be somewhat annoying. If you only get 3 players to chose from they should at least be somewhat compatible, only tried tutoring twice since neither of the times actually made positive differance I stopped. The first try lasted less than a day and the second was a fail due to personality conflicts. If you are only given 3 choices none of them should be a complete personality clash in my opinion.

First of all, I love the game. There are some issues, however, and here I the ones I have found besides the ones mentioned in the sticky:

- When in matches, the game stops when I minimize the game to do something in Windows. In FM 2014 it kept playing. Maybe there is an option I have missed?

- When scouts report on a single player there is no "Remove from shortlist" button if he is already on the shortlist. If he is not on your shortlist there is a "Add to shortlist" button, where it would be obvious to have the "Remove from shortlist" one.

- When the assistant manager gives advice on players to play for the reserves the information about whether he is picked or not is sometimes misleading. Some players are always shown as "unused" regardless. Also certain players seem to get no match fitness from playing in the reserves, while others get a lot.

- Sometimes the "view" in the tactics screen is changed back to the original one, even though I keep choosing a customized one.

- The highscoring games are not just caused by the bad keepers. Most of the goals are scored by players simply putting the ball over the top of the defence and having pacey strikers running into space. IRL this happens from time to time, but not 2-3 times a game in each end.

- There is not any option to return from holliday when offered a job.

If this thread is for nice things as well, id like to add:

1 - Asking a player to not take a pre agreed pay rise in his contract... nice touch

2 - Asking a player to find a club for himself when no one makes an offer... again another way of trying to move players not wanted

Yes, having gone through a few screens, I REALLY dont like the UI. It's really blocky and doesn't look professional. The FM14 look, along with their interpretation for the tactics screen was brilliant and this feels like a move back to CM97-98.

Plus the attributes diamond for players is cut off at the bottom when it is put on 75% screen size

I'm going to buck the trend here :D and advise you to start a thread on the subject using your post in its entirety.
Nah there's more to it than that and I'd like to see a thread discussing it :p
Should I make it in the bugs forum, or here in the general forum?

Teachers pet. :p

So I am doing a Millwall save in the championship and picked up a good midfielder on a free (32 years old). He has been playing well so now in late February (7 months after I signed him) he wants a new deal despite being the highest paid person already at 13.5k euro per week. I am already quite drained financially (balance currently at 600k) and he requests wages at 30k which I absolutely can't match. I reloaded the game and instead rejected the request for a new contract which lead to a conversation with him.

No matter what option I take, regardless of tone will he change his mind. You'd figure the option (Even if I wanted to, the club couldn't afford it at the moment) should work in a situation like this but nope. It's just unrealistic that a 32 year old who signed 7 months ago demand wages of 30k from a championship club that's almost bankrupt. So now I got half my squad unhappy because I literally can't offer the guy a new deal even if I would cave in to his excessive demands.

one quick question:

i chose the option to disable transfer for the first window to properly reflect real life senario, but why is it only me who is restricted, the rest of the teams are business as usual, which defeat the whole purpose of realism correct?

Cheers

Playing as West Ham.

Issues i've noticed:

Sometimes opposition scores and ME skips to celebration without showing goal highlight, until slow mo replay.

Lost EVERY away game 2-1! Can be a coincidence?

Ever since 15.0.2, players to stupid things; suddenly stop running and loose ball, run up to tackle op player and just stop. Things like that.

Seems to be worse after update.

So no save, deleted it in frustration.

Other than that, the game is great.

So I am doing a Millwall save in the championship and picked up a good midfielder on a free (32 years old). He has been playing well so now in late February (7 months after I signed him) he wants a new deal despite being the highest paid person already at 13.5k euro per week. I am already quite drained financially (balance currently at 600k) and he requests wages at 30k which I absolutely can't match. I reloaded the game and instead rejected the request for a new contract which lead to a conversation with him.

No matter what option I take, regardless of tone will he change his mind. You'd figure the option (Even if I wanted to, the club couldn't afford it at the moment) should work in a situation like this but nope. It's just unrealistic that a 32 year old who signed 7 months ago demand wages of 30k from a championship club that's almost bankrupt. So now I got half my squad unhappy because I literally can't offer the guy a new deal even if I would cave in to his excessive demands.

While I understand your frustration it's hard to say whether this is a bug or not. Footballers do tend to be quite dim IRL and player power is very rife in football these days :) Out of curiosity, when you say to him 'we can't afford it', what does he say in reply?

While I understand your frustration it's hard to say whether this is a bug or not. Footballers do tend to be quite dim IRL and player power is very rife in football these days :) Out of curiosity, when you say to him 'we can't afford it', what does he say in reply?

Have moved on so now sure what the exact reply but basically he told me "**** you, I don't care"

Yes, having gone through a few screens, I REALLY dont like the UI. It's really blocky and doesn't look professional. The FM14 look, along with their interpretation for the tactics screen was brilliant and this feels like a move back to CM97-98.

Plus the attributes diamond for players is cut off at the bottom when it is put on 75% screen size

I disagree. I personally love the new UI. It feels like I have a lot more information on the screen at all times now and when I try and play FM2014 again all I can see is the wasted blank spaces on the screen and quickly turn it off in disgust :p

This will no doubt be a very unpopular opinion on here, but ME wise I'd much rather that small changes were made year upon year rather than the '1000's of new' animations and moves that SI have added for the past 2 successive years.

I've been playing FM since CM99, and my favorite ME in that time is without a doubt the FM13 match engine. The animation was smooth, it felt like a real game of football, it felt like your sliders made a difference and it was well balanced. But most of all? It allowed you to use your imagination

I just feel that this years edition, as well as 14 don't allow you to use that imagination in regards to the 3D ME. Especially now there's all this capture control for the animations. On 13 it really felt like different players had different quirks and personalities which were visible in the games they played. Even in 2065 I could recognize former players/newgen legends from other sides in the match engine itself, due to the way they played their game. There was a clear difference in quality between players and teams also. On 14 and 15 (granted it's early days) it just feels... dead and robotic. If i could have the FM15 interface, media interaction etc with the 13 ME (impossible i know) I'd die a happy man!

But anyway back to 15. Overall, very very impressed with the player interaction and the media's reaction to disputes. Certainly brings it to life. Not a massive fan of the interface, but no doubt in a few weeks I'll struggle to go back to an old one! Everything really does seem pretty perfect to me apart from the ME. It's just little things like despite the high-scorelines players like Messi and Ronaldo (only really play lower league, but like to check!) score about 10-15 goals a season. Even if the league is running on detailed or not. I doubt I'll get many play hours this on 15 due to the ME being pretty integral to me, as it's a football game and each game I play i find myself clicking my heels and wishing I was playing 13. But I'll give it a fair chance.

I got over 900 hours on FM 12. Over 2100 on FM13. 400 on FM14. I'll be buying 16. 17, 18. Of course I will. I know that this match engine is the way many people want it to go, including SI due to the potential people see in it. So bearing that in mind, please use the next couple of years (16 at least) to polish upon the ME build and game you have. Rather than re-inventing the wheel again.

:)

Players kicking up a fuss when a "bigger club" shows interest in them.

I say "bigger club" because the game seems to, once again, have a warped idea of which club is "bigger". Why a player would want to leave the league champions to join the club that finished 4th in that league is beyond me, but hey.

But that's not the issue, or at least it's an issue that's always been there.

Previously in FM you could get players kicking up a fuss if you rejected a bid for them from a bigger club, they'd either mouth off and cause problems or demand an improved contract. Makes sense.

Now who's genius decision was it to change it so that players will come knocking asking to leave immediately if a club so much as shows minor interest in them? Why do I have to deal with players demanding to leave and poisoning my dressing room without interest in them actually being concrete? Sometimes they remain unhappy for months despite a bid never having arrived for them. They're actually angry at me for their dream club not really wanting them, it's absurd.

There is no way to appease or convince them that I can see, after a lot of experience with it I've concluded the chat itself is completely pointless - in truth all you can do is accept it, refuse it or make some insane promise like winning the CL. WITHOUT A BID EVER ARRIVING. No other option has ever worked for me, regardless of the players' personality or whatever.

They are all, without exception, acting like petulant and ungrateful children even by modern footballer standards.

I'm really liking FM15 but these seemingly little things are sure starting to add up, they should not have been added to the game if SI couldn't get them to make some damn sense and I hope they're looking at this for release.

I also really, really hope that any change they make to this type of thing will be compatible with current save games.

This will no doubt be a very unpopular opinion on here, but ME wise I'd much rather that small changes were made year upon year rather than the '1000's of new' animations and moves that SI have added for the past 2 successive years.

I've been playing FM since CM99, and my favorite ME in that time is without a doubt the FM13 match engine. The animation was smooth, it felt like a real game of football, it felt like your sliders made a difference and it was well balanced. But most of all? It allowed you to use your imagination

I just feel that this years edition, as well as 14 don't allow you to use that imagination in regards to the 3D ME. Especially now there's all this capture control for the animations. On 13 it really felt like different players had different quirks and personalities which were visible in the games they played. Even in 2065 I could recognize former players/newgen legends from other sides in the match engine itself, due to the way they played their game. There was a clear difference in quality between players and teams also. On 14 and 15 (granted it's early days) it just feels... dead and robotic. If i could have the FM15 interface, media interaction etc with the 13 ME (impossible i know) I'd die a happy man!

But anyway back to 15. Overall, very very impressed with the player interaction and the media's reaction to disputes. Certainly brings it to life. Not a massive fan of the interface, but no doubt in a few weeks I'll struggle to go back to an old one! Everything really does seem pretty perfect to me apart from the ME. It's just little things like despite the high-scorelines players like Messi and Ronaldo (only really play lower league, but like to check!) score about 10-15 goals a season. Even if the league is running on detailed or not. I doubt I'll get many play hours this on 15 due to the ME being pretty integral to me, as it's a football game and each game I play i find myself clicking my heels and wishing I was playing 13. But I'll give it a fair chance.

I got over 900 hours on FM 12. Over 2100 on FM13. 400 on FM14. I'll be buying 16. 17, 18. Of course I will. I know that this match engine is the way many people want it to go, including SI due to the potential people see in it. So bearing that in mind, please use the next couple of years (16 at least) to polish upon the ME build and game you have. Rather than re-inventing the wheel again.

:)

Completely agree with you. I know they're going to fix most of the bugs in this Beta but I still feel like the game will become a bit dull for me after a while. Especially if it goes down the same path as FM14. The new interaction features are good but the Beta has shown how annoying they can be with all the buggy promises and players having so much power in the dressing room. At the beginning of the season, one of my key players had minor interest from a team who aren't even bigger (reputation-wise) than us and for the next 3-4 months I had to promise the player that if a bid comes I will accept. The bid never came, his morale was sh*t until the promise ended. Isn't that why it's called minor interest? To top things off, the same player then makes me promise him first team football. That's the equivalent to a player reading on Sky Sports News that a team 'might' want him and straight away requests a transfer.

There doesn't seem to be much loyalty to the human manager in this game. One mistake can cost you the whole dressing room and in this Beta's case, no mistakes can cost it too.

People keep praising the player interaction but it's still the same old bull****. There aren't enough options to reply with that can resolve the conversation. I've had loads of players demand first team football after coming back from an injury and there's no option to state what is really going on. It's like I have to play along with the player's demands just so he doesn't leave the club.

This is an example of what I was touching on earlier. Two things you need to know about this picture

qTIROJk.png

1 - The 'must respond' in the top right is the final confirmation to sign the player. Nothing unusual in that you might think, except that he's been through the work permit decision (failed) and the appeal (failed), so now I have the chance to sign him and loan him out, etc. But look at this scout report (2). One of the 9 'areas yet to assess' is if he'll qualify for a work permit. This makes no sense, and is currently ruining an otherwise excellent upgrade to the scouting system. As it happens in this example, I'll probably not sign him now anyway, as I've managed to get better players in between all the faffing about with permits. But it's been a waste of time. Had they told me right off the bat he probably wouldn't have got a WP, I wouldn't have bothered to continue to scout him.

I must be 1 of the few people that was glad there was no update today.

Stopped playing the last couple of days ago as my new laptop arrives tomorrow, moving from a desktop to a laptop as the wife is redecorating the living room and it seems my desktop setup does not fit into her plans, who knew!

Can't complain too much as I managed to get her to agree to a pretty decent laptop, she must really want to redecorate this room. ;)

^Is feedback of sorts, more on a personal level though^ ;)

I must be 1 of the few people that was glad there was no update today.

Stopped playing the last couple of days ago as my new laptop arrives tomorrow, moving from a desktop to a laptop as the wife is redecorating the living room and it seems my desktop setup does not fit into her plans, who knew!

Can't complain too much as I managed to get her to agree to a pretty decent laptop, she must really want to redecorate this room. ;)

^Is feedback of sorts, more on a personal level though^ ;)

Feel free :) makes a pleasant change from you know what ;)

When I first took control of a team I used the tactic screen, I simply clicked on the button for the team to be picked for me that best suited my tactics, then the best 11 players were picked at the touch of a button, I then started to look deeper into each player as pre-season moved on and built the team from there, after that you know each player as you either buy/loan/or need each player.

Can we have more variation in newgen managers preffered formations? A lot of the tactics available are almost never selected as their preffered formation. What dictates a newgen manager/retired player play style and formation?

Complaint: The "overcast" weather condition results in very dark lighting and makes the ball nearly impossible to see.

On the other hand: Sometimes the new pitches look really nice. Now playing in a downpour in April on beautifully lush grass.

Question: Does anyone know if players who whine about playing time are only appeased with starts, or do sub appearances count? i.e., is there any point bringing them on as subs?

This feels like a really good game .... in an early phase of development.

So many glitches, FAR too many goals in human controlled matches, and often totally inexplicable results that bear no resemblance to realism (a Liverpool team on a great run losing 8-0 to 16th placed West Brom is one I particularly remember - far more in my own games as Arsenal but you'll just say that's my management!).

The problem I have is that, despite all this, I'm getting really into this save - partly because I've got a few awesome regens in my side who I want to play through with.

So the main question is this - I get that this is a beta and will improve massively in final release - but will it REALLY be save game compatible? I know you'll say it will be but will there be some things that you "just need to start a new game" in order to get the full advantage or could I continue this game with the final release?

This feels like a really good game .... in an early phase of development.

So many glitches, FAR too many goals in human controlled matches, and often totally inexplicable results that bear no resemblance to realism (a Liverpool team on a great run losing 8-0 to 16th placed West Brom is one I particularly remember - far more in my own games as Arsenal but you'll just say that's my management!).

The problem I have is that, despite all this, I'm getting really into this save - partly because I've got a few awesome regens in my side who I want to play through with.

So the main question is this - I get that this is a beta and will improve massively in final release - but will it REALLY be save game compatible? I know you'll say it will be but will there be some things that you "just need to start a new game" in order to get the full advantage or could I continue this game with the final release?

You answered your own question. :)

You can just continue come the full release, yes there may be a few things that will only take shape come the start of a new season but that will not affect your save, the only thing that will affect your save is any data changes, you will need to start a new save if SI decide that your poor striker should have a finishing attribute of 20 instead of 7.

Other than that you are good to go.

Another complaint: It seems that nothing has been done about post-match team talks. If most of your team play poorly with a couple of exceptional performers getting you a win, you HAVE to first praise the entire team, otherwise the players who did well become pissy and never pay attention to individual praise.

It used to be (around FM 12 or before, maybe?) that when you set the team feedback, it didn't commit the comment, so you can still change individual players' talks. That allowed you to chastise the team but praise those who did well. Simpler, more realistic, actually useful ...

You answered your own question. :)

You can just continue come the full release, yes there may be a few things that will only take shape come the start of a new season but that will not affect your save, the only thing that will affect your save is any data changes, you will need to start a new save if SI decide that your poor striker should have a finishing attribute of 20 instead of 7.

Other than that you are good to go.

This would remain the same on an existing save, no? I assumed the database updates only affected games loaded with that particular updated database.

This would remain the same on an existing save, no? I assumed the database updates only affected games loaded with that particular updated database.

Of course if you wanted those changes to take place in your game you would have to start a new save, if you were happy with your striker having a finishing of 7 instead of 20 then you could just continue your save. ;)

Data changes only take place with a new save after the update and if you select to have that update as your default.

When managing both a national team and a club side is there supposed to be two different scouting screens? I seem to get the screen I use for the club side when I am looking the national team.

Also I seem to remember there was an option to search for players who were not in the national pool, but I cannot find it. Does it exist?

I'm far enough in that I don't really care - and the few players I still have in my team from the start are overrated, IMO! So, other than data for existing players, there should be no difference between a new game and my current game when the game is updated after release?

Archived