Official Football Manager 2015 Pre Release Beta Feedback Thread - Update 15.0.3

i hate it, genuinely strongly dislike it, there is nothing good about it apart from the circles for the conditions, but that is it.. Fm14 was near perfect and i think a revert to that is needed here.. trying to be constructive but it's hard because i just can't think why anyone would design it like this.. :/

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand how you can be "fine" with a screen that now requires more clicks and is more time consuming and unfriendly to use than it previously was. It's all well and good saying it's a persons opinion, but opinion doesn't cut it here. The most important aspect of any UI is usability, and the current tactics screen is a massive step back from FM14. I see no purpose of this constant UI redesign we see every year other than change for the sake of change. In fact if the UI needs to be given an overhaul so frequently then it shows very little thought went in to the design of the previous UI

I'm fine because I barely use it, not everybody plays the same way as you or has the same in game priorities :)

It doesn't as the very first post in this thread says if you bothered to read it :)

As to rest of your diatribe, this Beta is just an expansion of the Beta which has been going on for some time and the bug list already included most of what you consider obvious bugs (Beta testers are pretty clued up you know);)

The value of this two weeks is mostly the feedback from people using hugely diverse rigs which SI couldn't hope to replicate and also people setting up games in a thousand ways starting hundreds of different leagues, which once again SI couldn't replicate with even a thousand testers.

Kriss I did read every post including the first one. So it isn't allowed to mention anything that is in the original post? okay I get it now,

As for my "diatribe" I think that's a little unfair. I already said I understand it's a beta, I think your reaction as a Mod is not particularly well thought out but I will leave it there..... Cheers

Just had a huge number of news items about players with expiring contracts, with option to offer them new contract or release from club. For every single player I had to click on his profile to check CA and PA stars rating, before deciding what to do. It would be so much more convenient to have these starts rating on the same screen with those news items.

Kriss, quick question.... Ok you are fine with it but......... Is it easier and more user friendly than last years? Honest opinion?

No I don't think it is, but you have to put some of that down to people just not liking change.

since it is not in the list published in the first post, but many people raised it, I was wondering if perfect long passes from players with poor passing, usually defenders, are an issue for SI.

I think it's more the expertise of the person receiving the pass that's the problem, sublime first touch and control is too common place.

No I don't think it is, but you have to put some of that down to people just not liking change.

Fair point but I still think a UI should allow the user easy navigation and if it is more difficult than last years then that is a step back. Even just adding roles on the pitch screen would help. I certainly used that to change roles all the time as it was easy to do.

Fair point but I still think a UI should allow the user easy navigation and if it is more difficult than last years then that is a step back. Even just adding roles on the pitch screen would help. I certainly used that to change roles all the time as it was easy to do.

I don't know how much they can change it at this late stage but they've certainly acknowledged the criticism.

It makes zero difference to me. The only thing I would want back is the right click ability, after that its actually a upgrade for me, because it now has the players position shifting with the role.

Have to say, very impressed with FM15 even in these early days on FMC. Can't really recall ever feeling this positive about a version of FM before.

I really like the user interface. Very clear and easier to locate things. Much more enjoyable. Only thing so far i feel doesn't work is the new tactic screen. Scrolling up and down to see my entire list of players is not really practical and ideally needs to be tweaked. The tactic screen from FM14 does the job fine.

Other than that, very impressive beta. Oh, like the boots more in this version !

It makes zero difference to me. The only thing I would want back is the right click ability, after that its actually a upgrade for me, because it now has the players position shifting with the role.
How is that an upgrade? It's purely cosmetic, and you cant see the match fitness etc. on the screen.

few issues with the skin that i find annoying at the moment. Cant easily switch to other leagues/competitions like on the old ones, when you used to be able to go on the drop down menu and select countries etc. If you can on this i havent really figured it out yet.

Also when Im lookiing at champions league for example I miss the bit at the top were it showed you the holders and who was hosting it.

I'm playing in 38 degree weather in Dundee Scotland, in the middle of November. Hope that comes true!

Had this with my Colchester save in September. 38 degrees. But rather than moan about it, i embraced it and went and got a cornetto from the freezer.

How is that an upgrade? It's purely cosmetic, and you cant see the match fitness etc. on the screen.

It gives me a general idea of where they will operate (so its a lot more than just cosmetic), and I don't need to see match fitness as I always use custom screens in FM with the info I want.

I don't think that's an upgrade at all, because now you can't tell what the roles are except relative to other players. Three defenders on "cover" looks exactly the same as three defenders on "stopper," except for a minuscule shift in position that is lost anyway because all the players will have moved together. This is not even taking into account the many different midfield roles, combined with attack/support/defend settings, all of which shift players up and down, so that there is absolutely no way of telling whether you have, for example, an advanced playmaker on attacker or an inside forward on support.

One thing I will say for it is that it gives you an idea of how the opposition roles are assigned, especially with the fullbacks. But is that realistic? No manager is going to be able to say, "I know their right-back is going to play defensively because I saw on a teamsheet that his icon is slightly further back."

I don't think that's an upgrade at all, because now you can't tell what the roles are except relative to other players. Three defenders on "cover" looks exactly the same as three defenders on "stopper," except for a minuscule shift in position that is lost anyway because all the players will have moved together. This is not even taking into account the many different midfield roles, combined with attack/support/defend settings, all of which shift players up and down, so that there is absolutely no way of telling whether you have, for example, an advanced playmaker on attacker or an inside forward on support.

One thing I will say for it is that it gives you an idea of how the opposition roles are assigned, especially with the fullbacks. But is that realistic? No manager is going to be able to say, "I know their right-back is going to play defensively because I saw on a teamsheet that his icon is slightly further back."

I have the roles I need on the left, I have the general shape I need/desire on the right (especially when changing advanced players), and all the info i require in my custom stats in the middle. For me its an upgrade, the key part being for me. Now if you don't like it that's your choice. But I find it bizarre that people want to argue someone elses personal choice on something that is subjective. The only person change for me would be the return of the right click.

It gives me a general idea of where they will operate (so its a lot more than just cosmetic), and I don't need to see match fitness as I always use custom screens in FM with the info I want.
But you know that already with the role no?

I have the roles I need on the left, I have the general shape I need/desire on the right, and all the info i require in my custom stats in the middle. For me its an upgrade. Now if you don't like it that's your choice. But I find it bizarre that people want to argue someone elses personal choice on something that is subjective.

You have given your reasons on why you think it's an upgrade: because it gives you an idea of the player's role from the position on the pitch.

I have argued why you can't actually tell anything about the role from the position on the pitch.

Now, you are telling me I am arguing against your purely subjective personal choice. I am not. You are obviously quite free to like whatever you like, even for no logical reason. I just want to check if you have abandoned your argument that it's good because it shows you the role, or if you have an argument about why my point is invalid.

But you know that already with the role no?

Not a visual general position, no. That's why I like it, a quick glance right and I see where my CF-A would operate generally compared to my F9, and how that shape related to my IF-A for example. Thats the kind of stuff I personally need to take from it. I don't speak for anyone but myself on that, but it works better for me as it is, as being able to visualise shape is more important to me than most other things on the page, especially since all my screens are custom.

You have given your reasons on why you think it's an upgrade: because it gives you an idea of the player's role from the position on the pitch.

I have argued why you can't actually tell anything about the role from the position on the pitch.

Now, you are telling me I am arguing against your purely subjective personal choice. I am not. You are obviously quite free to like whatever you like, even for no logical reason. I just want to check if you have abandoned your argument that it's good because it shows you the role, or if you have an argument about why my point is invalid.

You seemed to have missed the point. I said it was an upgrade for me, right in my first post. I didnt speak for anyone else but myself from the start.

Just an update on the morale bug I referred to earlier in this thread. It's now getting ridiculous; For 3 seasons Diego Costa's morale has been poor due to my selling a minor U21 player (Lucan Piazon). I have no way of even talking to him as there is no 'speak to' option when I right click. Now Oscar has joined him - angry apparently that I have sold another U21 player whom my scouts informed me was only good enough to play in the Championship anyway. Now the 'speak to' option has disappeared for Oscar as well and he's informed me that he's intent on running down his contract. Is it realistic that the sale of middling quality U21 players could lead to such a huge impact on the morale of senior players over such a long time and what's with the lack of an option to even talk to these players to resolve the issue. Also, since selling the 2 under 21 players that Costa and Oscar felt were so fundamental to our prospects of winning anything that they entered into a 3-year perma-sulk, I have won the Premiership twice and the Champions league. You'd think that would placate them? Noooooo....

Come on guys, this is so unrealistic. It spoils an otherwise great game.

Not a visual general position, no. That's why I like it, a quick glance right and I see where my CF-A would operate generally compared to my F9, and how that shape related to my IF-A for example. Thats the kind of stuff I personally need to take from it. I don't speak for anyone but myself on that, but it works better for me as it is, as being able to visualise shape is more important to me than most other things on the page, especially since all my screens are custom.
Each to their own :) Part of my problem though, is the customisable screen on the left of tactics screen doesn't work for me with the bug.

You seemed to have missed the point. I said it was an upgrade for me, right in my first post. I didnt speak for anyone else by myself from the start.

But when you say why it's an upgrade for you, you are giving a reason that is, at least theoretically, supposed to convince. To give an example, suppose I like the colour green and you ask me why: If I say that I like it because it's the colour of the sky, then you'd be perfectly within your rights to tell me that the sky is not green. I am of course perfectly free to continue to like the colour green, but, if I want to participate in a community of people who all employ language in a more-or-less reasonable way, I cannot continue to hold that I like it because it's the colour of the sky.

To reduce everything down to personal preference is something you see quite often on these forums. Unless the argument is that SI does not choose what to change based on logical reasons but on a whim, personal preference cannot give legitimacy to a design decision.

So, just to restate: I am not demanding justifications for every decision, but I'm just noting that the argument that something is good only because of personal preference (or the opposite: "People don't like it because they don't like change.") is only consistent with a position that admits that the design process was ultimately based on no rational basis, in other words, was not a design process. That is all.

Just back from an, er, enforced holiday, and will post my full feedback tomorrow when I have more energy - a week in the sin bin is tiring after all - but one thing I have to bring up that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the amount of times during an average week that you need to continue the game.

What I mean by that is that on certain days, the game clock only moves a few hours at a time and you need to hit continue again. Sometimes one day can take four clicks of the continue button to progress, even when there's no news items or any reason for processing to stop. Given I can't recall anyone else mentioning this, I'm thinking I must have a setting turned on/off somewhere, but I can't for the life of me think where or what.

Any ideas?

I would actually be curious to hear why people who prefer it do so. Anyone here have an opinion to share?

My opinions:

I like that I can see a better visual representation of their average positions when selecting them, helps for that secluded playmaker, or that deep forward (were you really sure that a BWM was higher up the pitch than a DLP?)

I quite like the stars, so I can easily see which is a players best role (based on the amount that ring is filled up)

BUT I'm not a fan of dragging the players onto the pitch for all games (what happened to the good ol right click :( )

anyway:

not a fan of the new 'team meeting for everything' that goes on now, but I knew it would've been bug-city anyway (there's too much player power, even with my maxed out tactical attributes)

Well that's an interesting can of worms you open there, but it should probably not be in the feedback thread.

I actually bought a ZX Spectrum so I could play Football Manager in the early 1980's. Then a game called Football Director came out and I remember I actually went to the guys house who made it to get a copy of Football Director 2 before it was released, you could do that sort of thing in those days lol. The point is I have played these games a LOT!

I don't play many other games but the question is.... is it only FM that could get away with releasing a game at full price, calling it Beta, then getting the customers to Beta test it for them? I have beta tested a few games myself but only before they were on public release, maybe this is normal now I don't know. I suppose they get away with releasing an update once a year and calling it a new game so I shouldn't really be surprised.

I don't mean all this in any negative way at all and it isn't a moan. I am a total FM fan and am quite happy to buy a new game each year I just wonder how many other game companies could do the same. Obviously FM do a a zillion hours of testing themselves so why don't they pick up that 7-4 scores in lower leagues is kinda strange and that GKs having a cup of tea whilst a forward runs half the length of the pitch to score is kinda not right? I saw that within an hour of playing.

I do hope this is taken as constructive criticism/feddback which is how it is intended.

Early Access Betas are pretty common on Steam nowadays.

Is there a single person who thinks the new tactics screen is an improvement? At some point, "IMO" becomes "IEveryone'sO," i.e., "fact."

I like it, although I wouldn't like it if I used the tactics screen for team picking. I use the squad screen for that because you've always been able to fit more data relating to selection onto that screen. The tactics screen for tactics seems pretty good to me, in some ways better than last years and in others a bit weaker.

I like it, although I wouldn't like it if I used the tactics screen for team picking. I use the squad screen for that because you've always been able to fit more data relating to selection onto that screen. The tactics screen for tactics seems pretty good to me, in some ways better than last years and in others a bit weaker.

Thanks for this. It seems like the people (the three on this page, at least) who like/don't mind the new tactics screen are the ones who don't really use it much. That probably says something by itself.

Thanks for this. It seems like the people (the three on this page, at least) who like/don't mind the new tactics screen are the ones who don't really use it much. That probably says something by itself.

On the contrary, I use it a lot. I just happen to use the screen differently, doesn't mean less.

Some feedback on the beta from my initial few sessions playing both the full game and FMC:

Firstly, overall I think FM2015 is a big improvement on its predecessor. It feels more responsive (in terms of tactical instructions etc) and the match engine is much more impressive than 2014's - even though it's not fully finished yet. I no longer feel like I'm watching a sunday league game when viewing matches in 3D. I prefer the new layout too, easy to navigate and it feels more streamlined as a whole.

As others have commented, I think the tactics screen could be improved through the implementation of player role boxes next to each shirt on the tactics 'pitch' view. I do like having the roles on the left-hand-side too, but it does feel slightly clunky and I think the addition of the old-style boxes would alleviate this and satisfy a lot of FM players. The colours displayed in the headlines screen are definitely a bit bright and garish (again as others have said) and I find myself wincing every time the screen pops up :)

The new tactical manager/tracksuit manager feature is a nice addition and I really like lots of the new features - particularly the addition of black stars in the scout report sections and things like the Pros and Cons summary of each scouted player.

In terms of the match engine I think it's already better than FM2014's by some margin - there are some nice animations and the games flow a lot more realistically. I'm thankful that I haven't experienced many horrific goalkeeper blunders like a lot of players have, though I have witnessed rather a lot of hospital passes from defenders and somewhat comedic defending in general. I've also noticed that players aren't sticking to my short passing instructions as they should, and keep hoofing the ball upfield under very little pressure and with a number of short pass options available.

One thing that has severely hampered my enjoyment of the game though is the number of injuries sustained, particularly in pre-season, and this does in my opinion seem a bit excessive. At one stage, one week into the pre-season, all my first team centre backs were crocked and then a week or two later I had seven or eight first-teamers out through injury. Things got worse too - as well as having no available centre halves I lost all my right-wingers, and even had one friendly in which 4 players got injured in the space of about 30 minutes of the match.

I've also noticed that my full-backs struggle to get decent ratings, even though the rest of the team are getting 7.0+ ratings, and I remember this was an issue with the early versions of the FM2014 beta too.

Overall though, I don't feel disappointed with my purchase of the FM2015 beta, which was certainly the case with 2014. I think that once everything's been tuned and finished, this will most probably be the best incarnation of the game yet. The level of enjoyment I am experiencing takes me back to the early days of Championship Manager 1993-94 :D

This may be something that was just restricted for the beta, but there seem to be way fewer selectable international sides to pick from the start menu. Hopefully there are more in the real release.

Otherwise, I love the new interface, and once the 'goals galore' match engine is fixed, this could easily be my favorite FM ever. :)

Edit:

Forgot to mention one other thing I picked up on. It seems keepers are palming away easily-caught shots way too often, instead of just securing the ball.

A thought on going on holiday...

I frequently go on holiday in between stretches when no games are being played or when I don't feel like playing a certain game (lower side, friendly, etc). It also helps to speed up the rate of play because, as others have commented, it is easy to get stuck clicking through an endless sea of news items, of which 95% of the time are ignorable but god forbid you miss that agent offer from an actual decent player who is unsettled at his current club that arsenal snaps up and who scores the last second goal against you in the north london derby. Fans riot, stadium burned, puppies executed, and what's worse is that I'm out of a job

So yes, it's very frustrating to return from holiday and to see that I've miss an important managerial decision such as a transfer offer or, as it sits in beta, when a player wishes to discuss an issue with me but cannot because apparently "on holiday" translates to "stuck in a turkish prison with no access to phone, e-mail, or basic contact with the outside world."

Example:

Playing at Tottenham, there has been some rumours that Jan Vertonghen is interested in moving to barca, but as our current form is excellent (5 wins, 1 draw, no losses). There about a week and a half break during which no matches are scheduled, so instead of clicking on boring news articles for the next 15 minutes (and yes my subscriptions are set how I want them) I decide to go on holiday.

Upon returning from holiday I see that barca has put in an offer for JV, which was declined without my approval as the carrier pigeon the board sent to me was apparently pulverised by the turbine of a low-flying Boeing 747. "No big deal, I don't want to trade him anyway" I think as I casually click on my tactics menu and am immediately beset upon by my players with burning pitchforks and tar (Lamela rabona's a moltov cocktail at me) as apparently JV had approached me todiscuss why I turned down the barca transfer request, only to go wailing like a bitch back to the rest of the team when he realized I was unavailable, his loud cries falling deaf upon the impenetrable 40 foot walls of the hell-dungeon I currently stay at.

Bottom line: I wish there was an option that would alert you of certain noteworthy news items while on holiday, and allow you to handle them without fear of returning to a full mutiny with your wife/hubby and children raped and murdered. Maybe there's an option that states "Return/pause holiday if" and then several options would be available, such as "a transfer offer for a first team member arises" or "a first team member wishes to discuss an item" - that way I could control what items I would deem important enough to break me away from my rat stew and damp corner. As it is treated now, and as I've so subtly hinted at, the holiday option is unrealistic as it always NO CONTACT of any sort with the team, which in the real world obviously woudn't happen. If a big request came in or if a player really needed to talk to me, there's this nifty technology called the telephone that they can reach me on. Even turkish prisons must adhere to some basic standards.

9or

right, so I wrote this to break a bit of mold and to offer some insight that was conveyed in a bit more entertaining and comedic style, lord knows (or whatever you worship) this thread needs it...bit long winded but I hope it conveys a legitimate concern. thoughts?

I haven't read through everything so I don't know if this has been said, it could be reiterated if it has. Injuries take place at an absurdly frequent level, somebody new is hurt what feels like every day. Whether it's a first team player (very often the case...) or someone on loan, these multi-week injuries keep happening

Look at how many players were hurt at once for me. Several of those were for multiple months, while the rest were 2-3 weeks. I thought I scrolled down when I took that screenshot, but as you can see from the blank spaces on the bench, there were even more players out below. Hazard and Costa had already had lengthy injury layoffs earlier in the year, too, but that's a ridiculous number to have at once, and it happens all year. I reduced training and wasn't pushing anyone too hard, but it just keeps happening. Lost Hazard and Fabregas in week of rest leading up to the FA Cup final just in training--come on.

Have read a few more posts on here and I have to say I can understand people's grievances with the new tactics screen.

The lack of right-click function continues to irk me, as well as the omission of each player's position. I have tried fiddling with custom views in the hope of finding something that suited me, but I ended up getting frustrated at the fact I couldn't find one that was aesthetic and functional - a feeling made worse by the fact FM14's screen was perfectly fine in that sense.

That said, I do believe the new screen and system is an improvement for the most part: I like the new freedom in selecting roles, and the fact the players are placed with more precision on the "pitch" depending on their role/position (rather than having six or seven 'rows'). Modern football is much less about lines than it used to be, and FM has duly adapted.

As a side note, is it possible to customise the sidebar? I've tried without success to put one-click options on it to take me straight to league table, for example (rather than having to go through the "competitions" tab). If this is possible and I'm just being thick could someone help me out? If not, I reckon this would make navigation much easier. There's plenty of space for more options on mine.

I know this is off-topic, but when will there be FM15 content on Steam Community (facepacks/logos etc). On release date I'm guessing? Thanks.

I haven't read through everything so I don't know if this has been said, it could be reiterated if it has. Injuries take place at an absurdly frequent level, somebody new is hurt what feels like every day. Whether it's a first team player (very often the case...) or someone on loan, these multi-week injuries keep happening

Look at how many players were hurt at once for me. Several of those were for multiple months, while the rest were 2-3 weeks. I thought I scrolled down when I took that screenshot, but as you can see from the blank spaces on the bench, there were even more players out below. Hazard and Costa had already had lengthy injury layoffs earlier in the year, too, but that's a ridiculous number to have at once, and it happens all year. I reduced training and wasn't pushing anyone too hard, but it just keeps happening. Lost Hazard and Fabregas in week of rest leading up to the FA Cup final just in training--come on.

Yes I had a very large amount of injuries as well early on as Arsenal. Way more than real life which is saying something! I noticed that my training was saying High workloads for most items but I was unable to fix it and bring that down like you could in previous versions quite easily. I have seen a lot of Sigames people on here saying injuries are about normal, but I have to disagree based on what I saw myself and am reading on here.

I'm really angry at you SI.For the first time i got this game in Beta (I usually wait until the full realease) so now you ruined my life for 2 weeks more :lol: Well done once again,the game is awesome(although my Girlfriend wants to kick me out) and can't wait for next patch when all the bugs are gone.

the team morale is silly. The whole team is upset that Samuel Eto'o isn't being given enough game time, even Lukaku, who is starting ahead of him?!! A player who is starting ahead of someone else would hardly be unhappy at that? The issue was 'resolved' in a team meeting and still the whole squad is unhappy weeks later for the same issue??

Yeah this happened with me. Coloccini wasnt "settled" in England, (no idea why this came up as he's been there years), so i gave him time off to go back to Argentina, then 15 squad members complained he was treated unfairly.....wtf? A team meeting which apparently went well didnt change anyones moral positively at all.

Yeah this happened with me. Coloccini wasnt "settled" in England, (no idea why this came up as he's been there years), so i gave him time off to go back to Argentina, then 15 squad members complained he was treated unfairly.....wtf? A team meeting which apparently went well didnt change anyones moral positively at all.

Also, players seem to be whining about playing time rather more than before, and you're forced to play them at least every other game for months, even if they're not fit. It looks like you have to play them up to the end of that period rather than going by a cumulative count of games. And the punchline is, if they get injured during that time, they are kind enough to "give you more time" to play them, so you have to give them more games for even longer. In the meantime, other players get annoyed about their playing time, and there's a chain reaction of whiny players.

Oh, and if a player who was appeased once ever feels like he's not played enough again, he gives you "a last chance."

Well, at least it makes squad management more interesting. Makes it more difficult to maintain a squad challenging on many fronts.

Yeah, the team meeting morale stuff is sort of ridiculously implemented. One player comes to you with a concern about playing time and the whole squad gangs up yelling at you about treating them unfairly. Even if you can talk them down, it's silly, that doesn't happen. Especially multiple times a season, if a player wants more time or wants to move.

Also, players seem to be whining about playing time rather more than before, and you're forced to play them at least every other game for months, even if they're not fit. It looks like you have to play them up to the end of that period rather than going by a cumulative count of games. And the punchline is, if they get injured during that time, they are kind enough to "give you more time" to play them, so you have to give them more games for even longer. In the meantime, other players get annoyed about their playing time, and there's a chain reaction of whiny players.

Oh, and if a player who was appeased once ever feels like he's not played enough again, he gives you "a last chance."

Well, at least it makes squad management more interesting. Makes it more difficult to maintain a squad challenging on many fronts.

I agree, i like the challenge, but it still seems like some of the reactions just wouldnt ever really happen as they do in the game. Its still an enjoyable game, and still pretty decent even for beta, but there are still little niggling things in the game which are annoying.(Eg I can see its another game where i will end up skipping all the interviews again due to the repetitiveness of them all)

Archived