Jim Bristow/Serpico has died

bell

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would do it if I knew how but i'm rubbish with stuff like this...

No idea if anyone thinks it's a good idea or not but would someone be able to get up a fund, which we can donate, not a huge amount, but a few pounds each and get a reef and flowers sent to his funeral, maybe give the money to bduck to do the honours for us or get it sent there when we know when it's happening?

No idea if anyone thinks it's a good idea or not but would someone be able to get up a fund, which we can donate, not a huge amount, but a few pounds each and get a reef and flowers sent to his funeral, maybe give the money to bduck to do the honours for us or get it sent there when we know when it's happening?

Yeah I second this :thup:.

Bloody hell, I didn't even know the guy at all, but this has upset me, someone got it spot on above when they said you don't really think of online people as if they're able to die, like they're invincible. Always seemed a decent guy who gave a lot to the forums. 44 is no age at all to go. :(

Condolences to his family.

R.I.P. :(

This pretty much.

Serpico definitely one of the "main" people that I associate with this forum so will be very strange not seeing him around anymore.

R.I.P. :(

:thup:

That's a good idea, and it has brought a smile to my face, amazing how much consideration people can have for people they didn't really know.

Just sent a PM to Bell suggesting something similar. I'd be up for contributing to a wreath and/or flowers of some kind.

Maybe the forum name can be changed to somehow reflect his memory. "Serps Topic Forum"

Or, put something in the message at the top, the one that currently goes

Off Topic Discussion Use this forum to discuss topics that aren't connected to Sports Interactive, or our games. Complete drivel or abuse of the rules is not tolerated. Mods have the final say on what's allowed. Members who enter here do so at their own risk. ;)In Memory of Serpico

Something like that.

Maybe the forum name can be changed to somehow reflect his memory. "Serps Topic Forum"

That happened on a football based message-board that i use. Young lad who posted on there a lot died a couple of years back. He had a lot of medical problems. They renamed the "Off Topic" part of the forum in his memory.

Or, put something in the message at the top,

Off Topic Discussion Use this forum to discuss topics that aren't connected to Sports Interactive, or our games. Complete drivel or abuse of the rules is not tolerated. Mods have the final say on what's allowed. Members who enter here do so at their own risk. And remember, Serpico will always be watching

Off Topic Discussion Use this forum to discuss topics that aren't connected to Sports Interactive, or our games. Complete drivel or abuse of the rules is not tolerated. Mods have the final say on what's allowed. Members who enter here do so at their own risk. And remember, Serpico will always be watching

Couldn't we rename the OTF section 'Serpico's Corner' or something?

haha he'd love that, someone get it done

I would definitely donate to a fund. And I think giving this to his parents is a great idea, too. I'm sure they would be humbled by their sons stature. Even if it is just an online community. I'm sure it would be something nice to read out at the Funeral Service, some of the comments here. :thup:

Still in shock. Unreal.

Really am shocked by this, only found out by a post in the Hull thread. He was a great guy and we had small chats about Hull and driving, and was always willing to help. Never thought I would be this upset about a person on an internet forum, but I really am.

RIP to a great man and a true Tiger.

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn when I say he was our best mod: fair and level headed, he helps guide us newer mods. This is shocking news and speaks volumes of the man that he can leave such an impact on an online community - I can't imagine the gaping hole left in those who knew him IRL. RIP Jim - pillar of this community. :(

From a users point of view. I agree with this.

Aside from the humorous warnings and infractions. Of which he was quite fond. When he actually did warn people or infract people, he was always fair, always to the user. He was prepared to give people a chance when others werent. If a user was causing a problem and annoying the whole community, he'd usually be prepared to give the person more leeway than both the community and other mods. Always ready to give somebody a second chance.

He'd look out for people, he'd give them warnings instead of infractions and explain why in a PM, he'd ask people to try to avoid the thing that got them the warning and point out that other mods would quite happily infract you for it.

From a users point of view. I agree with this.

Aside from the humorous warnings and infractions. Of which he was quite fond. When he actually did warn people or infract people, he was always fair, always to the user. He was prepared to give people a chance when others werent. If a user was causing a problem and annoying the whole community, he'd usually be prepared to give the person more leeway than both the community and other mods. Always ready to give somebody a second chance.

He'd look out for people, he'd give them warnings instead of infractions and explain why in a PM, he'd ask people to try to avoid the thing that got them the warning and point out that other mods would quite happily infract you for it.

Yeah this. The amount of times people have come back after being an arse and said, "Well Serpico PM'd me and I've realised my mistake" etc. Just the kind of thing he did. Great mod.

Holy crap thats really awful news :(

I used to enjoy chatting to him on MSN, he used to help me out on the forum when i wanted things done. He was a great guy and was very passionate about Hull City and his job as a driving instructor.

King of the Road & King of the SI Forums

RIP Jim you will be sorely missed.

I see that this is already done:thup:

I spoke with Serpico a lot for various reasons, and the one overwhelming thing that always came across was how much he thrived on the sense of community he got from us. It takes a lot for a guy to do a hard job and win respect from people, but he managed it. He was free with advice - he didn't expect anything in return for it either. There are a few users, myself included, who can testify that his help with driving lessons was invaluable.

When he saw that things were changing, he came to me and suggested the new board, not because he wanted rid of us, but because he wanted everyone to be happy. His influence looms large over both boards, and as he is the second ever member of OTF2, I will make sure that it is not forgotten.

I really hope that whatever the reasons for his death, he is at peace, because he was a good man and deserves to be remembered as that by everyone in both communities that he helped shape.

R.I.P

Did not have many dealings with Serpico and never really knew him but I am absolutely gutted at this news. Read a lot of his posts both in the mods forum and various threads around the board and some of his posts always brought a smile to me. He was a knowledgable guy and a great mod with others always looking to him for advice on things. Honestly cannot believe this. Will be sorely missed as part of the mod team and the SI community. :(

He will be sorely missed and my condolences go out to his friends and family.

RIP Serpico.

Archived