Jim Bristow/Serpico has died

bell

I did never spoke to Serps, neither did he to me, as I rarely post, but when you spend seven years (more or less) reading the post of somebody you get to fell like you know him in a way, so farewell Serpico, rest in peace, and be proud of the fond memories that you left behind among the members of this community

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say I haven't had much contact with him lately, but I did play some poker with him a few years ago, and whether I took his money or he took mine, he was always helpful and offered advice. That's one of the aspects that shined through in his time here; he cared about those around him. He wanted to create a good community, and he was always willing to help with whatever he could.

What ec7 said really tells the story; I've read every post in this thread, and not one of them sounds insincere. You don't need to be a huge part of someone's life, or do something that in the greater scheme of things is extraordinary, in order to affect someone's life positively. There's a lesson to be learned for many of us.

RIP Jim.

Use this forum to discuss topics that aren't connected to Sports Interactive, or our games. Complete drivel or abuse of the rules is not tolerated. Mods have the final say on what's allowed. Members who enter here do so at their own risk. And remember, Serpico will always be watching.

RIP Jim.

:thup:

While I think the idea of flowers is a nice gesture. I'm not sure it's really fitting with the man himself.

Often, when these kinds of things happen, the family ask for a donation to a charity in lieu of flowers. I personally think this would be a far more altruistic gesture and one that seems to be more in keeping with my memory of the kind of man Jim was.

Maybe, once the family themselves know how they want to approach this, we can look into doing this instead?

Think this is a much better idea, if someone set up a just giving page in his honour, would be a lot easier than clubbing money together for flowers.

true, but it'd be nice to make some kind of visible recognition so that those who know him 'irl' will realise how many people he reached out to, which might be nice for them. Obviously we can't all go to his funeral, but it'd be nice to send something on behalf of OTF, who he was a massive part of, and which was also (I would guess) a large part of his life.

Serps wasn't a charity kind of guy. You should send him a wreath or some kind of floral thing. I sincerely believe that deep down he would be happier knowing that he touched the community so much that they felt like it was something they wanted to do.

'R.I.P Jim, from all of your friends on OTF'.

I'm just stunned. For me he was part of the furniture here. I might not post for a year, or more, but when I'd come back he'd be here, constant and enduring. I think he was a user first and a mod second which made it easier to talk to him, work with him, to appreciate his position and respect his views. I don't ever remember seeing him be spiteful, vindictive or heavy-handed.

He will be missed. I will miss him. A sad day.

47,990 posts says it all about his contribution to these forums and our community.

It really doesn't though, if you'd have asked me how many posts he'd had I'd have thought it was way more than that, perhaps because I always seemed to read his, but mainly because posters of quality stand out far more than posters of quantity, his contribution was way beyond many (including me) who have posted more than him, I find it hard to think of anyone who has been as consistently proactive and productive as Serpico on these forums.

should we have a seperate thread to discuss collections etc? I'll delete this post shortly so that as chops said this thread can be kept for what it was intended

I don't think there's a problem with discussing ideas in here, just shows how many people he has affected on here and how much he means to them. I don't think there's any risk of those posts, or this one, overshadowing the overwhelming tributes in here.

Just signed in for the first time in a while and didn't expect to be greeted with this terrible piece of news :(

Nothing new I can add to what's already been said really; I got on with Serps well and we exchanged a fair few PM's over the years. RIP mate, gonna miss you loads! :(

Blimey I just heard the news, huge shock.

I did my pass plus lessons with him a couple of years ago in which I amusingly managed to get us lost going from Hull to York and back.

I haven't spoken to him for a while now but even so, can't believe that, very sorry for both him and those left behind.

Just shocked, I remember having a few threads on here over the years regarding what would happen if we ever lost a member of the forum and we've found out, this is terrible

Didn't interact with him alot but he was someone on here you see everyday and it'll be sad and weird not seeing him anymore. My memories of him will be him giving me advice about my driving lessons and buying my first car, like i'm sure he did many other people on here. He was a researcher for a number of years for Hull aswell, I remember him so excited about Geovanni at Hull that he wanted him to be brilliant on one of the FMs

I'll happily donate to whatever is decided is the best tribute to him

"The best crisps

Reason: Beef Hula Hoops are an abomination unto the Lord 08-04-2009 23:13 by Serpico 10 / Expired"

My only infraction, "expires when we stay up" was his message with it. Glad he got to see us in the "elite" league, and again, i hope we can stay up again for him.

RIP

I'm not really a regular poster but i check the boards pretty much daily and have been here in one form or another for a good 8 years now i'd wager.

Serpico was one of those posters who has stood out over that time, someone previously put it best, he was part of the furniture, very sad news and the first time someone i "know" online has passed, strange feeling.

Guest roberto922

RIP, a huge loss to the community, he was one of the pillars of OTF, I often read him posting on driving, game and tech related subjects and he was a great poster, and a fair mod.

I do have a suggestion though, Serpico loved his PC games and IF a gaming forum is ever made I feel it would be a nice touch to name it after him.

Bloody hell. Can't believe it.

Utterly shocked and gutted. Always a top bloke as a user and always fair and often amusing as a mod. Will never forget him making me smile when I'd been in quite a serious RTA that was quite frankly terrifying, came on here to post about it and he carded me for typing "Curb" rather than "Kerb". :D Really lightened the situation when I was feeling down.

The OP says he had underlying health issues - Never knew about that, but either way 44 is way too young. Rest in peace, Jim.

:(

RIP, a huge loss to the community, he was one of the pillars of OTF, I often read him posting on driving, game and tech related subjects and he was a great poster, and a fair mod.

I do have a suggestion though, Serpico loved his PC games and IF a gaming forum is ever made I feel it would be a nice touch to name it after him.

That's a good call even though I would prefer we don't have a gaming forum.

Oh, and I've read suggestions about either a donation somewhere or some flowers. Personally I think it's a great idea. I'll leave it to those who knew him best to decide on the direction they want to take with it but whatever the outcome, count me in.

R.I.P

Am truely in shock, spoke to him a few times and he seemed like a really decent guy. He was part of the furniture and you'd always notice when he posted.

Thoughts are with family and friends.

I hope SI dedicate Fm11 to him or some such thing.

Guest roberto922

Oh and he was definitely a fair mod, I remember when I said something totally out of line, but because I had retracted it and the infraction would have got me a ban he only gave me 5 points, he was always there to help

Archived