Jim Bristow/Serpico has died

bell

Serps was one of only a dozen or so OTFers I chatted with off-forum. Responsible for introducing me and a number of other OTFers to Fleet Street Games which lead to many a night on MSN.

Still feeling in shock by this. :(

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really come on here any more. I only found out because DeafParrot told me on MSN.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend Serpico and I were friends or anything, we never had that much involvement with each other, but for the time I was a regular here, he was always there and clearly one of the top members of this board.

RIP.

One thing I would add, in terms of the 'community', serps was one of the few people that really got it. He managed to bridge the gap between enjoying, respecting, protecting and above all contributing immensely to the place whilst still keeping a sense of humour and lightness of touch which showed he didn't take it too seriously. No idea how important this was to his overall life, but I can only vouch for the fact that he, more than pretty much anyone else, made this place what it is. And despite the moans and groans, that should be seen as a compliment to the man.

Whether in his 'official' capacity or off the board, he was a principled and intelligent gent and someone you paid attention to, even if you didn't agree.

I've not long woken up after a horrible restless nights sleep.

For the moments I was asleep I was talking/typing to Serps on MSN and asking him how the heck he's managing to do that while he's suppose to be deceased; I'm then warped to Hull City's Football Ground where there's a massive crowd and rememberance going on.

RIP Jim (Serps) - Will miss the gaming nights with you.

Condolences out to everyone that both knew and had dealing with this great character.

Not sure what to say other than to echo the nicely worded sentiments of everyone else.

I only knew Jim through here but since the day I registered I had massive respect for the guy - it's amazing to see that echoed unanimously and a mark of the man. A great communicator, a great humourist, a fair and level-minded mod and a stalwart of this community - he more than anyone else made these forums a better place to be.. Rest in peace, Jim.

I was abroad and haven't been on OTF for a week but learned this through Facebook last night. Genuinely saddened by the news and shocked at how suddenly it happened.

This thread and the number of people he touched proves how much he was loved and respected around here. We'll all miss you Serps/Jim. RIP.

I'd also like to echo Doog's post in the first page. It's very weird how the line between someone you actually know and someone you only talked to online seems extremely blurry in these situations.

One thing I would add, in terms of the 'community', serps was one of the few people that really got it. He managed to bridge the gap between enjoying, respecting, protecting and above all contributing immensely to the place whilst still keeping a sense of humour and lightness of touch which showed he didn't take it too seriously. No idea how important this was to his overall life, but I can only vouch for the fact that he, more than pretty much anyone else, made this place what it is. And despite the moans and groans, that should be seen as a compliment to the man.

Whether in his 'official' capacity or off the board, he was a principled and intelligent gent and someone you paid attention to, even if you didn't agree.

Well said! I hoisted many in his honor last night

It's like waking up, opening your curtains and finding that somehow an entire mountain has been removed from your view. Although we weren't close, like more people on here he's been part of and made an impact on my personal experiences on the web for the last 9 years. It's going to be very strange coming here, knowing that Serps will never post again.

never pictured he would look like that. Nice to put a face to the name. Gutted it is in these circumstances

Yeah thats an old photo that one, or at least i remember it that way, im sure its been around for years.

Just really come in here to say we´ll miss you Serps, a fantastic mod and someone that anyone, no matter who you were could talk. Im still completely shocked by the news and its still sinking, rip jim.

Archived