World cup memories

Andrew_

/help me out with some research.

So what's your favourite/most iconic world cup memory? Things like Zidane getting sent off in the final in his last game for France, Beckham turned into a villain receiving death threats, etc.

Go!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For England - I'd say Owen's goal against Argentina in 98 when he races by a few defenders is probably one of my favourite moments. That's probably because it was the first World Cup I really remember watching. I'd watched the USA one but I was a bit young to have too many memories of that. As a neutral one of the first things I think of is that Rivaldo moment against Turkey when he's at the corner flag.

Not on the pitch but something I'll always remember when I think of the World Cup is Brian Moore's commentary. His voice is what I associate when I think of watching matches. There is one moment that I'll always remember and thats also in the game against Argentina. Batty picks up the ball to take the penalty and he quickly asks Keegan for a yes or no as he is running up to take it. Keegan replies yes and a second latter he's missed.

About 1 min 45 seconds in for the Batty moment.

That ridiculous back of the head clearance on the line by the Argentine defender when Lineker was about to put a diving header in.

1994 -

-Salenko's 5 goals in one game.

-42 yr old Roger Milla scores and dances.

-Maradona all coked up screaming in the camera after his goal against Greece

-epic Romania-Argentina game

-Belgium - Holland in over 40°C midday in Florida

-Michel Preud'Homme being best goalkeeper

-Bulgaria's awesomness

Adrian Ilie`s goal vs Columbia (

), the England - Argentina game, Baggio`s penalty vs Chile and Brazil being rubbish in the final in 1998, the dodgy refereeing of South Korea`s games and Ronaldo winning it for Brazil in 2002, Zidane`s brilliance against Brazil and the Italy - Germany semifinal in 2006, with Grosso`s late goal and his Tardelli-like celebration, and the Ghana - Uruguay game at the 2010 World Cup. And Germany trashing England and Argentina in the knock-out stages.

Have to stick with first memoreis and that will therefore be Italia 90.

Roger Millers dance and his side beating holders argentina in opening game.

Schiallichi and Italy and most of all the gazza cry :(

Oh and who would have thought these penalty things at the end of games would become such a big thing!!

Tardelli's scream. Battle of Santiago. Pelé rounding the 'keeper but missing. Maradona's goal in '86. Baggio penalty miss '94. Grosso vs. Germany 2006.

^^ They all popped into my head fairly quickly after reading the post.

Didnt know you are THAT old, grandpa :D

My memories:

Semi final 82- THAT foul from Schumacher on Battiston, the race to draw after being 1-3 down after extra time and finally winning it on penalties.

Final 86 - Matches starting at 11 pm on tv, Völler equalizing then Maradonas genius pass destroying the dream

Final 90 - Boring one sided final, but finally getting the world cup

WC 98 - That Bergkampf goal

WC 2006 - the greatest summer of my life

Lineker's treble v Poland in 86, 'The Hand of God', the same year, along with Peter Beardsley's first England goal v Paraguay. Italia 90 - David Platt v Belgium, Roger Milla, England v Cameroon, Gazza's tears v Germany.

All good memories. :thup: I remember Mexico 86 as England games were on late at night (11pm KO) and the old man let me stay up late on a school night to watch. :cool: I also did a World Cup Diary at school as part of English lessons. :)

Banks' save even though I think it's a bit overhyped just cause Banks was a top keeper and it was Pele's header

The real answer is Tardelli ... apparently he was screaming his own name like he was sort of commentating on his goal. That encapsulates the eleation of scoring at such an event. I don't think it could be recreated in the joyless snide style of football and players we have now. Maybe run off thinking of increased sponsorship these days :brock:

Lineker's treble v Poland in 86, 'The Hand of God', the same year, along with Peter Beardsley's first England goal v Paraguay. Italia 90 - David Platt v Belgium, Roger Milla, England v Cameroon, Gazza's tears v Germany.

All good memories. :thup: I remember Mexico 86 as England games were on late at night (11pm KO) and the old man let me stay up late on a school night to watch. :cool: I also did a World Cup Diary at school as part of English lessons. :)

I remember '86 too, staying up or recording the games and waking up ridiculously early to watch them before school :p

I remember 1982 very, very clearly even though I was only nearly 10 years old, you must have some recollection of that too

Remember being in this Irish pub/bar somewhere with my Grandad in Spain when Robbie Keane scored that goal against Germany in 2002, to this day I have never seen anything like the carnage and mayhem in that place when his goal went in. Cannavaro lifting the trophy in 2006 is always one of the first things that springs to mind, not really sure why.

Probably for me would be watching the WC 2002 game against Brazil in my Primary School hall start of the day. (Year 6). And being all cheerful when Owen put us in the lead whilst still being optimistic even after Rivaldo scored a decent team goal. Then that lob happened, and although we were kids many expletives were used to describe Seaman, followed by playing football in the play ground that lunch time with the shouts of everytime some kicked the ball towards the goalkeeper in the air "Don't do a Seaman", or when the keeper was off his line, "Watch out his doing a Seaman".

I remember '86 too, staying up or recording the games and waking up ridiculously early to watch them before school :p

I remember 1982 very, very clearly even though I was only nearly 10 years old, you must have some recollection of that too

82 is a bit more clouded for some reason! I remember Bryan Robson's goal v France and obviously England not getting through whilst remaining unbeaten! And I obviously also remember the Brazil team - Zico, Falcao, Socrates(:D!) Paulo Rossi, Allesandro Altobelli, Tardelli and that awful challenge by the German keeper, Schumaker - can't remember who he wiped out, but it was rotten. If I'm honest, I got more into it for Mexico 86, it helped that Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley were there. :)

Gordon Strachan goal and goal celebration in '86 against Germany.

If I remember right it was our only goal of the competition but I loved how Strachan celebrated, it's not his fault he is only 4 foot 2". :D

I remember that game against Uruguay, where the South Americans had a player sent off after 5mins (for an awful tackle on Strachan) and Scotland just couldn't break them down,. Finished 0-0.

Me and my best mate going to his house at lunch time to catch what we could of the 2002 opener involving France and Senegal before going back to school for afternoon lessons, and subsequently watching the Senegalese players do their dance around Bouba Diop's(?) shirt after the goal. The whole build up to that tournament sticks in my mind due to me being old enough to actually apreciate the spetical of an international tournament for the first time.

Caniggia scoring against Brazil? :D

still remember Leighton making a mess of Brazil's goal V Scotland in the groups :( then again we didn't deserve to get through considering we were beaten by Costa Rica :lol:

Caniggia scoring against Brazil? :D

Yes, Maradona's assist was brilliant. And the funny thing is that it was the only game Brazil played well in that World Cup.

Yes, Maradona's assist was brilliant. And the funny thing is that it was the only game Brazil played well in that World Cup.

I remember that game so well, hit the post four times as I recall. I still remember the hot Brazilian blonde the cameras focused in on that whole game.

I remember that game so well, hit the post four times as I recall. I still remember the hot Brazilian blonde the cameras focused in on that whole game.

sounds a bit like the 1998 World Cup when Ronaldo would score and the cameras would go looking for his girlfriend at the time :D

My three most distinct memories...

1. Zidane's headbutt and subsequent red card in 2006.

2. Ronaldinho's freekick against England in 2002.

3. Nigel de Jong's karate kick on Xabi Alonso in 2010.

My first vivid memory of the World Cup isn't really related to any match event. I was in Portugal on holiday in 2002 when Brazil won it. We were flying back home on the same day of the final. We stopped at a small cafe for lunch en route to the airport and as we were waiting to order food we could hear screams from the street. It was a pub across the road celebrating the final whistle and then hundreds of people all ran out into the streets and started dancing, playing music, singing and all sorts, up and down the streets, going crazy. I'd never experienced anything like it. It was the most intense atmosphere I'd ever felt before to be honest. Was great. Almost missed the flights home because the traffic was a total 'mare but it was worth it :D

From the same World cup was Zola's sending off.

I remember this as I had never heard off him before but the commentator kept going on about him before and during the game, I am pretty sure that he started as a sub and the commentator kept saying he should be on.

Well if my memory serves me right he did come on as a sub and then this happened..

[video=youtube;2GVZs3IuDh8]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GVZs3IuDh8

Not sure how many people had heard of him in the UK before this happened, the rest they say is history.

Archived