World cup memories

Andrew_

• 1986 - The Hand of God and Maradona's other goal in that game
  • 1990 - Roger Milla and Tot Schillaci tearing it up. Canniggia's awesome run which saw somebody (Omam-Biyik?) get sent off. Gazza greeting.
  • 1994 - Ireland, Ireland, Ireland. :cool: I remember reading shoot who said that Baggio would decide where the World Cup went. He did.
  • 1998 - THe last time Scotland played in a tournament, and the opening match against Brazil was simply amazing. The Morocco game. :leighton: :mad: Was this the tournament where Kevin Keegan said in the Romania v England match that "only one team will win this now" about 3 minutes before Dan Petrescu scored to do just that for Romania?
  • 2002 - I remember trying to cuddle my mate while we slept on the floor of another mate's house. Don't remember any of the football.
  • 2006 - Zidane blatted Materazzi.
  • 2010 - Honda scored a good free kick. I watched most of it at work.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember for the 2002 World Cup a drinks company, possibly Budweiser, gave away these cheap, tiny, grey radio receivers that fitted into your ear and had a basic twisty bit to tune.

My Dad was managing a nightclub at the time and got given about a hundred. Cue the World Cup and all my classes at school were filled with the subtle hum of these radios during lessons. Teachers were apoplectic, and had no idea where these little gizmos kept appearing from.

Probably the only times during my entire school life you'd enter a classroom and every guy was silent, staring straight down at his work (of course with the perfected 'head resting against arm to cover the ear' pose). :D

• 1990 - Roger Milla and Tot Schillaci tearing it up. Canniggia's awesome run which saw somebody (Omam-Biyik?) get sent off. Gazza greeting.
  • 1994 - Ireland, Ireland, Ireland. :cool: I remember reading shoot who said that Baggio would decide where the World Cup went. He did.
  • 1998 - THe last time Scotland played in a tournament, and the opening match against Brazil was simply amazing. The Morocco game. :leighton: :mad: Was this the tournament where Kevin Keegan said in the Romania v England match that "only one team will win this now" about 3 minutes before Dan Petrescu scored to do just that for Romania?
  • 2002 - I remember trying to cuddle my mate while we slept on the floor of another mate's house. Don't remember any of the football.

I can't imagine he was happy about that

I think I am one of the few people that think Materazzi was treated terribly during this whole Zidane thing. All he did is give him some verbal. Something implying he'd bang his sister IIRC - oh whoop dee-doo! In the aftermath Zidane was all 'I don't want to repeat what he said' and then everyone is talking about racism, did he call him a terrorist, did he say this or that and Materazzi got banned ... banned for some verbals on the pitch when no one really knew what it was!

Ridiculous imo

I can't imagine he was happy about that

I think I am one of the few people that think Materazzi was treated terribly during this whole Zidane thing. All he did is give him some verbal. Something implying he'd bang his sister IIRC - oh whoop dee-doo! In the aftermath Zidane was all 'I don't want to repeat what he said' and then everyone is talking about racism, did he call him a terrorist, did he say this or that and Materazzi got banned ... banned for some verbals on the pitch when no one really knew what it was!

Ridiculous imo

Materazzi spent his career hacking people down, don't feel sorry for him.

I'm not very old so I only have memories from 1998 WC onwards.

Favourite: Owen vs Argentina

Iconic: Tshabalala (the only time I've heard a commentator say something live and thought 'that line will go down in history')

Messi in 2006 springs to mind. Remember the excitement whenever he came on for the last couple of minutes of a match. Maradona shouting in the stands like a madman as well. And he lit up the match instantly every time.

Also remember shouting abuse at Pekerman for either not starting him, not bringing him on earlier, or not bringing him on at all (vs Germany where they went out on penalties, what the hell was he thinking?)

• 1998 - The last time Scotland played in a tournament, and the opening match against Brazil was simply amazing. The Morocco game. :leighton: :mad: Was this the tournament where Kevin Keegan said in the Romania v England match that "only one team will win this now" about 3 minutes before Dan Petrescu scored to do just that for Romania?

That was Euro 2000, '98 we lost to Argentina on penalties.

That was Euro 2000, '98 we lost to Argentina on penalties.

nah it was World Cup 1998, Owen had just equalised and Keegan said that

England did play Romania at Euro 2000 but that was when Phil Neville gave away a penalty and Romania came back from 2-1 down to win 3-2

July 12th 2014 might mark the most memorable World Cup (moment) for me. That is because I attempt it to be the key iconic moment: The World Cup is kicked off whilst I keep the TV shut off. I attempt this to be my first World Cup I deliberately skip out on ever since I became interested in the competition and sports. Nothing to do with the sports, obviously. But it's so apparent that then entire mechanism behind it is so based on outright exploitation, corruption and enrichment of a criminal few that finally it's worth an attempt. Hopefully I will succeed, and I understand everyone who will just carry on. But as many morally questionable doings by people who consider themselves to be sensible and serious day in day out (buying all kinds of goods for ultra cheap where it's apparent that people somewhere must be suffering for the price races despite having the money to buy elsewhere, etc.): Just because everyone else continues riding along to it, doesn't mean it's any good.

As a fan of the sports and being aware of the the iconic image of the competition, I sympathize with anyone who doesn't even consider likewise, though. And at the end of the day, the World Cup is just a tiny part in the world we've built or have grown up into.

Australia vs Japan in 2006 is the most memorable match to me, 1-0 down with less than 10 minutes to play before Tim Cahill scored a brace and John Aloisi rounded it off with a third in stoppage time to record Australia's first World Cup finals victory. Great memories of watching that in the middle of the night on SBS and celebrating wildly! :cool:

[video=youtube;Xo4N-RfvCTw]

The next match went as expected with a 2-0 loss to Brazil, which meant a draw was needed to progress from the final game with Croatia. Australia went behind twice but a late equaliser by Harry Kewell (another memorable goal) qualified the team for the round of 16, while Croatia's Josip Simunic was given three yellow cards by referee Graham Poll, who was confused by Simunic's accent (he was raised in Australia) and noted the card for the wrong side. Despite fighting hard to keep the scores level against Italy, the Socceroos went out to a conentious late penalty which provided the memorable heartache :(. Alessandro Del Piero started for Italy in that match and would go on to play for Sydney FC in the A-League six years later!

Not just the finals, but the qualifying campaign brought one of the greatest days in Australian football history with the second leg of the intercontinental playoff against Uruguay ending in a penalty shootout decided by John Aloisi's iconic penalty.

[video=youtube;7ZdbW7PSPGk]

The 2006 campaign was memorable for the number of dramatic and historic moments and the fact that it showcased one of the finest collective squads ever assembled by Australia. :thup:

---------------------------------------------------

Other than Australia's campaign, 2006 was obviously memorable for the Zidane moment. 2010 had the vuvuzelas, Tshabalala's goal, Suarez's antics and Iniesta's winner, while Australia went out on goal difference with fairly as-expected results, with Tim Cahill and Harry Kewell both on the wrong end of contentious red cards in separate matches. 2002 I don't remember much of other than South Korea's run, the Turkish goal in the 1st minute of the 3rd place playoff, the final and the fact that Australia lost their qualifying playoff to Argentina despite winning the first leg 1-0. Most Australians don't like thinking about '98, we lost our qualifying playoff on the away goals rule after conceding two late goals at home in the second leg :(.

So mostly good memories, but it wouldn't be football without experiencing both the ups and the downs. Sorry for the Aus bias but it's just what I remember the most! :D

nah it was World Cup 1998, Owen had just equalised and Keegan said that

England did play Romania at Euro 2000 but that was when Phil Neville gave away a penalty and Romania came back from 2-1 down to win 3-2

Romania were in our group and beat us though

Oh :D Yeah, ignore me.

I think the image of Yekini celebrating after scoring in 1994 is brilliant. Just pure emotion

1336259386Rashidi.jpg

That kit is vile! Almost as bad as Jorge Campos' horrible goalkeeper shirts for Mexico...

My earliest World Cup memory has to be Italia 90. I had the England video as a kid and watched it religiously. We scraped through the group stages with draws against Ireland and Holand and a towering Mark Wright header against Egypt sealed our passage. Then probably one of my favourite goals of all time despite the fact I know detest the man, David Platts volley. Technically brilliant, hours spent in the garden from myself trying to recreate it. Then Cameroon (they don't make players like them anymore) loads of flair, they never gave up. Then it all went downhill from there, Parkers deflected OG, Gazza and those penalties that to this day are still orbiting space (Waddle). The Italy game was a damp squid.

But great memories, I particularly enjoyed the book 'One night in Turin.'

2006 i also remember Philip Lahm scoring a great goal ( might have been in one of the opening matches ) and that goal by Argentine which had 70 billion passes in the build up

2006 i also remember Philip Lahm scoring a great goal ( might have been in one of the opening matches ) and that goal by Argentine which had 70 billion passes in the build up

didn't Torsten Frings not score an absolute cracker in that game as well? think it was the opening match of the tournament

I know I watched Espana 82 as I have this http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mY1j77dEWMG5j-FTtSzf2UQ.jpg and it has all the scores in in, but I don't really remember it. I remember Mexico 86 as lived in HK at the time which meant 5am and 7am games which went well with school.The Lineker hat trick and the final are the most memorable. Sadly I don't remember the hand of god goal or Maradonnas latter goal other than via TV programmes seen since.

The first World Cup I remember is the 1994 World Cup, and the first memory that came to my mind is the goal that Branco scored in Netherland, by a Free Kick. The ball almost hit Romário before the goal.

At 2:35

[video=youtube;f90zTO7BQ-I]

My first distinct memory was France 98. I remember the whole tournament with the stand-out moments being Dennis Bergkamp's goal against Argentina and Michael Owen's.

Ooh, forgot about that one, that was pretty impressive. Think Brazil had a similar one not too long after as well.

Aside from England's fails and minor successes:

Benjamin Massing.

The Voller and Rijkaard incident.

Ray Houghton's goal v Italy.

Scotland taking the lead against Brazil in 1998.

South Korea's win over Italy.

Ireland battling Spain only to lose on penalties.

Switzerland and Ukraine following the worst match ever with the worst penalty shoot-out.

Zidane's red.

New Zealand's draw with Italy.

The three yellow cards given by Poll.

The terrible 1990 final.

The pre-match confusion as to what was happening with Ronaldo in 98.

Scotland taking the lead against Brazil in 1998.

we never took the lead against Brazil? Cesar Sampaio scored in about 5 minutes from a corner then we got a penalty just before HT to equalise with John Collins scoring it

then we lost due to an own goal :(

we never took the lead against Brazil? Cesar Sampaio scored in about 5 minutes from a corner then we got a penalty just before HT to equalise with John Collins scoring it

then we lost due to an own goal :(

Yes, that's right:

What I remember the most about this game is how Brazilian press was mentioning that the Scottish players had bad teeth or lacked teeth in some cases. :D

My first WC to remember is 1998, and that had this amazing moment for us:

That is some fantastic commentary on that video. I strongly urge everyone to watch it

That is some fantastic commentary on that video. I strongly urge everyone to watch it

That moment is etched in my memory like no other. Sends shivers down my spine even after all this time. That commentary is so fitting, underlined a lot by the fact that is so un-Dutch over the top. The commentator mentions that he thinks we're going to win, then we get that brilliant pass by Frank de Boer, the impossible technique for the goal and the timing in the match (20 seconds before the end). It has everything.

That moment is etched in my memory like no other. Sends shivers down my spine even after all this time. That commentary is so fitting, underlined a lot by the fact that is so un-Dutch over the top. The commentator mentions that he thinks we're going to win, then we get that brilliant pass by Frank de Boer, the impossible technique for the goal and the timing in the match (20 seconds before the end). It has everything.

Every Dutch football fan has that moment as the top moment in WC history, I think.

Pretty much all my strongest memories have already been mentioned, but a couple that haven't are

- Cameroon players taking it in turns to try to hack down Caniggia as he runs half the pitch, before one just thinks *** this and jumps into him

- Stoichkov scoring against Mexico in 94 with a left foot thunderbolt on the run, I became a Bulgaria fan after that game culminating in their 2-1 win over Germany with Letchkov's diving header

Archived