World cup memories

Andrew_

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saudi Arabia in '94.

I remember laughing that they were in the competition, well they soon shut me up!

[video=youtube;y8w89sl7Grc]

Wow. First I've ever seen or heard anything about this goal...if that was Pele, Maradona, Messi, any of them, we'd hear about this all the time. What a remarkable goal.

82 is a bit more clouded for some reason! I remember Bryan Robson's goal v France and obviously England not getting through whilst remaining unbeaten! And I obviously also remember the Brazil team - Zico, Falcao, Socrates(:D!) Paulo Rossi, Allesandro Altobelli, Tardelli and that awful challenge by the German keeper, Schumaker - can't remember who he wiped out, but it was rotten. If I'm honest, I got more into it for Mexico 86, it helped that Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley were there. :)

Patrick Battiston :thup: Not even a booking :D

It was the 1st knockout stage, TM.

Regarding that game, this goal was brilliant...the assist from Hagi, the movement from Dumitrescu, and that lovely tap-to finish it off.

Wow. First I've ever seen or heard anything about this goal...if that was Pele, Maradona, Messi, any of them, we'd hear about this all the time. What a remarkable goal.

Legendary Saeed al-Owairan.

European clubs were reportedly interested in him, but Saudi FA at that time didn't want any of its players to leave. The reason was "to protect its domestic competition".

I think some of Saudi players should be playing in Europe. Their qualities are perhaps not Premier League ones. But I think they can definitely play for Championship sides. It would do good, e.g., for Abdulrahman al-Qahtani.

Been racking my brain since I posted earlier, and the only other thing I can remember is that Rooney stamped on someone's nuts (Ronaldo?), but am pretty sure that was in the Euros against Portugal.

Legendary Saeed al-Owairan.

European clubs were reportedly interested in him, but Saudi FA at that time didn't want any of its players to leave. The reason was "to protect its domestic competition".

I think some of Saudi players should be playing in Europe. Their qualities are perhaps not Premier League ones. But I think they can definitely play for Championship sides. It would do good, e.g., for Abdulrahman al-Qahtani.

The problem with the Middle East players is whether there is the desire to leave and go play in the Championship vs be treated like an absolute kind and get a pretty sweet deal living at home with family and everyone loves you

A friend of mine worked with an Egyptian guy (for one of his businesses) that played in UAE league and he has opportunities to go to the German 2nd division or something but was basically like 'what's the point'. It's tough, probably never gonna play for Dortmund or Munich so stay home and be treated like those players in your own country

Having watched some UAE football though I can safely say there isn't much danger of too many players being able to make it in the Championship or 2nd Division in Germany

Been racking my brain since I posted earlier, and the only other thing I can remember is that Rooney stamped on someone's nuts (Ronaldo?), but am pretty sure that was in the Euros against Portugal.

2006 World Cup? when Ronaldo did his wink and Ian Wright went mad :D

Our painful defeats to Portugal all blend into one after a while

I remember the game that England somehow managed to be in the lead, was it 2-0? but Portugal were playing the better football, I remember saying "how the **** can they be leading".

Alls well that ended well with Portugal winning 3-2.

I know I am shallow but being a Scot it's all we have is to support whoever England are playing against.

1990 - Platt scoring against Belgium. Waddle hitting the bar against West Germany.

1994 - Bulgaria beating Germany. John Aldridge going mental in the midday sun :D

1998 - Owen's stunner. Bergkamp's goal of the tournament.

2002 - South Korea beating Spain and Italy.

2006 - Zidane headbutt.

2010 - Every match sounding like it was being played in a beehive. The Portugal V's Holland Card fest.

Yeah Michael Owen's goal against Argentina for me, and Sol Campbell's disallowed goal

ٍStrangely enough, the thing that most people remember from that game would have to be Owen's goal or Beckham's red. But for me Zanetti's goal was pretty amazing, simply because of the thought process behind it. Of course everyone (i.e. me) would have thought that Batistuta would have smashed it in (sorry for my, erm, biasedness). Just looked at

again, and still impressed!

Disclaimer: Sorry if you're not in awe of as as I am, I guess being an Argie fan helps.

That David Platt volley (spent many an hour recreating that on the sports field) and Gazza in tears are my earliest world cup memories. The Romanian team's haircuts in WC'94, Zinedine Zidane and Dennis Bergkamp in WC'98 and then the England-Brazil game in 2002. After that it all got a bit uninspiring. I guess Zidane getting sent off in the WC Final and his last ever game was pretty epic too.

maybe england will win their 2nd world cup title this year :D

Wont make it beyond the group stage :D

I remember in 94, the whole Bulgaria squad that played Germany all with the ending "kov"!

A great moment I remember was Milan Jovanovic scoring for Serbia against Germany in South Africa '10.

I was on holiday with the missus in Greece and our hotel was full of annoying Germans (no offense to any German folk on here, our hotel was simply filled with the extremely annoying kind)

Adding to the fact that I support Standard & Jova is an ex player of us.. The moment he scored the lobby was so quiet.. Ahh good times :cool:

Platt's winner against Belgium stands out for me. I was on a school residential trip and the teachers set up a TV for us kids to watch it. The pandemonium when he scored!

That one for me too. :thup:

What annoyed me is we still conspired to draw that game :/

1998 was great, we had a genuinely exciting and young player in Owen and a pretty good team. It's just such a shame we messed up that Romania game and ended up playing Argentina in the last 16

I wish we had a teenage Owen breaking into the team now. Let's heap pressure on Barkley, it can be him! He does seem confident though

What about Belgium in '86?

yeah well tbh only memories I have of that period is that we were on holidays at the Belgian coast, and I was too young to stay up to watch the games. So no real memories of the games myself, was only 6 yo as well.

98 was the first world cup that I can remember - so the obvious memories are Owen goal, Beckham sending off, Bergkamp goal, the Blanco bounce and general Croatian (and Davor Suker) awesomeness.

Don't really remember 02 that much - Dario Rodriguez goal aside and France being poor.

06 is about that Argentina goal and also Maxi's Rodriguez's stunner. Was supporting Italy so glad that they won

10 was the Shabalalala (sp) goal for South Africa, the Suarez handball, Ghanaian anger, Uruguay being great and being thoroughly bored of Spain

EDIT: How can I forget Marco Materazzi in 2006? Hero and Villain all in one.

Archived