Final: France vs Croatia, 4pm BST

GunmaN1905

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CFuller said:

After a draw against Curaçao and a 2-0 loss to Uzbekistan, thus ending their defence before the last 32 stage. ;)

Ahaha, well played. Forgot it was going to be a 48 team tournament. 

As this World Cup draws to a close, I just wanted to say how much I've really enjoyed these threads. Every single one has been interesting to follow and even occasionally get involved in and I want to thank you all for adding so much to the World Cup experience over the past month or so.

1 minute ago, deltablue said:

As this World Cup draws to a close, I just wanted to say how much I've really enjoyed these threads. Every single one has been interesting to follow and even occasionally get involved in and I want to thank you all for adding so much to the World Cup experience over the past month or so.

This is the first World Cup where I've regularly contributed to these threads and I echo those sentiments. They've made the tournament even more enjoyable for me.

2 minutes ago, Wiggins' Young Boys said:

Keown has used the water carrier carrying champagne gag about 6 times in this match

Keown tends to say a crap joke then repeat it at least twice, presumably in the hopes the commentator laughs. They never do.

That's it - great final, really one of the best :thup: 

As much as I wanted Croatiia to win, it was a deserved win for France.

In general through the tournament the French team wasn't spectacular, but they were very well organized and knew exactly what they were doing. And since all the other favourites (maybe besides Belgium) messed up, France winning was probably the only possible outcome.

But huge kudos to Croatia - one of my favurite sides of alltime :applause: 

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Mbappe :) 

Glad he had a decent World Cup, and good final. People will finally take notice and realise that his a top talent.

will be unknown until he lights up Euro 2020 :cool:

decent final, France certainly lucky with some of the decisions but Croatia have just played too much football

Just now, Orzelek said:

That's it - great final, really one of the best :thup:

As much as I wanted Croatiia to win, it was a deserved win for France.

In general through the tournament the French team wasn't spectacular, but they were very well organized and knew exactly what they were doing. And since all the other favourites (maybe besides Belgium) messed up, France winning was probably the only possible outcome.

But huge kudos to Croatia - one of my favurite sides of alltime :applause: 

They were by far the most complete team on the tournament, but looked shaky at times.

For example, Spain was also terribly boring to watch, but they always looked in control.

And the shade of first two goals being dubious will always be there.

Croatia, Belgium and England missed their golden chance. No way WC is ever this weak again in terms of top teams underperforming.

Just now, JDownie said:

Varane deserves to be mentioned in the Golden Ball discussion imo. 

defenders never usually win it but him and Umtiti are a major reason why France have became world champions

France deservedly. Still a pretty disgusting team, having easily the best team and still lacking ambition to actually play throughout the tournament. But that obviously works. 

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

After long years of battering Croatia in handball Finals, France also translated it to football.

At least in handball we won a few times :D

France better on the night, and best team in the tournament. 

Belgium vs France would have been a better final, but don't even think they'd have got close to this team. They still had a few gears left to spare whereas Croatia gave everything. 

I look forward to pundits gushing over undiscovered gems like Ousmane Dembélé and Malang Sarr at Euro 2020.

France have an incredibly vast pool of talent and should get to the latter stages of tournaments for the next decade, though I don't think they'll be able to 'dominate' like Spain did a while back.

4 minutes ago, TM said:

defenders never usually win it but him and Umtiti are a major reason why France have became world champions

Specifically bc of the way France chose to play the knock out phase you could argue they have been the best players since the group stage. Varane a notch above imho. 

2 minutes ago, kpain16 said:

France deservedly. Still a pretty disgusting team, having easily the best team and still lacking ambition to actually play throughout the tournament. But that obviously works.

Just dawned on me.

It must be some cosmic force that put things into balance.
After most of these players won a lot of games by delibarate refereeing mistakes in our league, now it was put back into balance. Unfortunately for them, in the worst possible game.

Archived