Final: France vs Croatia, 4pm BST

GunmaN1905

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Um the national motto for France isn't "liberté, éternité, fraternité". It's "égalité", not "éternité".

Forget Oliver Kahn 2002. Guy Mowbray's Final has been more like Loris Karius 2018.

5 minutes ago, HOORAY HENRIK said:

Turns over to ITV.....review of England’s World Cup. Holy ****. 

Let me know when they start asking random celebrities for their analysis of it, I want to know Shayne Ward's thoughts on our performances.

Well, at the end of the story I can't say this was an interesting World Cup to watch for me... matches were emotionals but technically poor and surely Italy's missing had a huuuuuge impact in my judgement overall.

That said, we're still one cup behind Brazil and we're the most winning national team in Europe along with Germany. I hope things will change for us in the near future.

And yes, I'll miss watching the World Cup matches from now. Football is always football, and the World Cup is the biggest thing of it.

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Let me know when they start asking random celebrities for their analysis of it, I want to know Shayne Ward's thoughts on our performances.

"That's my gooooooooal!"

Yeah, okay, Harry...

Belgium might not have reached the final, however Modric was not better than Hazard this tournament. Modric was very good, however Hazard was excellent in virtually every game. And whether it be a third play off or not, Belgium still played yesterday in again which Hazard was the best player on the pitch. Modric was not excellent in every game. Mbappe and Hazard were the best players. Well pretty obvious that Modric was given player of tournament because Mbappe got young player of tournament.  Hazard and Mbappe have lit up this tournament to another level. If Belgium won final, pretty sure Hazard would have got it.

2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

I had France and Griezmann at Euro 2016, France of course lost in the final but Griezmann was top scorer. 

I had the same again this tournament, France win but Griezmann is second top scorer. 

I had Portugal and Griezmann in 2016 (bang on), and Croatia this time :(

France bored me for most of this tournament, a shame they won but they were very difficult to beat, and Mbappe is a ridiculous weapon. I miss Spain of 2008-2012 :(

I missed the BBC and ITV ending montages. Will they be online?

39 minutes ago, Federico said:

Well, at the end of the story I can't say this was an interesting World Cup to watch for me... matches were emotionals but technically poor and surely Italy's missing had a huuuuuge impact in my judgement overall.

That said, we're still one cup behind Brazil and we're the most winning national team in Europe along with Germany. I hope things will change for us in the near future.

And yes, I'll miss watching the World Cup matches from now. Football is always football, and the World Cup is the biggest thing of it.

Do you think Italy can win the title again, ex: in 2022?

At first glance Germany still seems to be the biggest threat to Brazil's supremacy.

4 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

France bored me for most of this tournament, a shame they won but they were very difficult to beat, and Mbappe is a ridiculous weapon. I miss Spain of 2008-2012 :(

I missed the BBC and ITV ending montages. Will they be online?

Would imagine they'll have them on their websites and/or Twitter. 

2 minutes ago, Bootador said:

Still a bit gutted like:

pretty sure I read that Chelsea could have got him for £14k at the age of 14 :cool:

Raphael Varane at the age of 25:
4X Champions league
3X UEFA Super Cup
3X Clubs World Cup
2X La Liga
2X Spanish Super Cup
1X Copa Del Rey
1X World Cup champion

ridiculous career so far and he's only 25

Just now, TM said:

pretty sure I read that Chelsea could have got him for £14k at the age of 14 :cool:

4X Champions league
3X UEFA Super Cup
3X Clubs World Cup
2X La Liga
2X Spanish Super Cup
1X Copa Del Rey
1X World Cup champion

When you've won that much already you'd just give up wouldn't you and try Bogarde it for the rest of your career.

1 minute ago, TM said:

4X Champions league
3X UEFA Super Cup
3X Clubs World Cup
2X La Liga
2X Spanish Super Cup
1X Copa Del Rey
 1X World Cup champion

Think in 20 years time we'll see him the same way we see the likes of Paolo Maldini, Fabio Cannavaro or Marcel Desailly. That sort of unquestionably legendary defender.

56 minuti fa, PMLF ha scritto:

At first glance Germany still seems to be the biggest threat to Brazil's supremacy.

Oh dear, I can't even see the end of this nightmare we're living since years.

But 4 years is quite a long time, and by the way I can't remember a competition where Italy was predicted as favourite for the final win, but still.

1 hour ago, PMLF said:

It will be more interesting to check again in 100 years time, when the football landscape may have significantly changed (United States? China?). That said I personally think that the world cup wasn't decided in a couple weeks (and matches) of knock-out football, Brazil's lead would be bigger than it is (1982 must still hurt in particular). The natural ressources (player base to develop) is a league of its own, there's always been enough infrastructure and (coaching) experience to develop, so that even the "lesser generations" are typically amongst the top five, sixish international teams in the world. At the moment, considering the tricky nature of knock-out tournaments (one legged too), and the fact that this "just" the 21th tournament closing, there may be comparably (!) limited insights gained by looking at who about just edges it at this point. (Though, it's predictably the nations with traditionally the most ressources, wealth and experience).

Unfortunately, in 100 years time, nobody of us will be around anymore tho to see. :D

2 minutes ago, Federico said:

Oh dear, I can't even see the end of this nightmare we're living since years.

But 4 years is quite a long time, and by the way I can't remember a competition where Italy was predicted as favourite for the final win, but still.

At least Italy should qualify next time and from then, who knows.

Just now, Svenc said:

It will be more interesting to check again in 100 years time, when the football landscape may have significantly changed (United States? China?). That said I personally think that the world cup wasn't decided in a couple weeks (and matches) of knock-out football, Brazil's lead would be bigger than it is. The natural ressources (player base to develop) is a league of its own, there's always been enough infrastructure and (coaching) experience to develop, so that even the "lesser generations" are typically amongst the top five, sixish international teams in the world. At the moment, considering the tricky nature of knock-out tournaments (one legged too), and the fact that this "just" the 21th tournament closing, there may be limited insights gained looking at who about just edges it at this point. (Though, it's predictably the nations with traditionally the most ressources, wealth and experience).

I think Brazil is harmed by other factors like the FA being poorly run, too many players being exported, but if it was a league format, I agree Brazil would have a bigger lead as we have historically more depth than any other country and it probably won't change any time soon.

USA and China aside, Mexico and Nigeria should also become superpowers at some point. Both have the manpower and the football tradition. Mexico needs luck, Nigeria needs to improve its organization off the pitch.

17 minutes ago, Svenc said:

It will be more interesting to check again in 100 years time, when the football landscape may have significantly changed (United States? China?). That said I personally think that the world cup wasn't decided in a couple weeks (and matches) of knock-out football, Brazil's lead would be bigger than it is (1982 must still hurt in particular). The natural ressources (player base to develop) is a league of its own, there's always been enough infrastructure and (coaching) experience to develop, so that even the "lesser generations" are typically amongst the top five, sixish international teams in the world. At the moment, considering the tricky nature of knock-out tournaments (one legged too), and the fact that this "just" the 21th tournament closing, there may be comparably (!) limited insights gained by looking at who about just edges it at this point. (Though, it's predictably the nations with traditionally the most ressources, wealth and experience).

Unfortunately, in 100 years time, nobody of us will be around anymore tho to see. :D

Frank Skinner and David Baddiel would be cyborgs going on about 150 years of hurt at that point :cool:

3 hours ago, kpain16 said:

Pogba is everything I hate about people with his attitude. The celebrations, dabbing, mimicking, sending kisses, thinking too much of himself, whatever. Like a cartoon character. 

Oh god, who knew Croatian tears would be THIS GOD DAMNED DELICIOUS?

1 minute ago, Firehouse said:

Didn’t you had enogh when you beat our first team so we had to send our second one?

Or when you beat us in the play-off for the last world cup or through any of our meetings with you jammy bastards in any sport ever.

Don't look too seriously into pisstakes mate, you might get some splash back :lol:

I dont really mind any pisstakes today. Its just I am kinda sad that better team today lost. Overall France was better and from tomorrow Ill be able to celebrate. Especially when people didnt even think we would get past the group stages.

14 minutes ago, Firehouse said:

I dont really mind any pisstakes today. Its just I am kinda sad that better team today lost. Overall France was better and from tomorrow Ill be able to celebrate. Especially when people didnt even think we would get past the group stages.

What? Literally nobody with half an ounce of sense in their head thought Croatia would fail in the group stages :D

Well most pundits had. I never paid much attention to that things, but I did watch them all before the tournament. For example big Mou had us eliminated behind Argies and Nigeria. It doesnt mean anything now, and I think it helped us a bit, being outsiders all the time. But not to have us down as a favourites againts England... I dont know, in my pink shades we are clearly better side.

51 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

Oh god, who knew Croatian tears would be THIS GOD DAMNED DELICIOUS?

What tears? Still mad about the group stages? You thought your rugby team had a chance of progressing? :lol:

I still like Iceland. Amazing what you can do with so little footballing talent

Archived