Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Bliss Seeker

It came home. Hope, hope came home

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

 

 :D

Miserable sods like this one

A lot of people said Colombia were a very good team and would beat England and now all of a sudden they're **** and England are lucky etc :D 

Couldn't give a flying **** who we've faced, we're in the ****ing semi final. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England remind me of 2004 Greece when they had a solid defence and generally scored goals from set pieces

Greece went through that tournament with "they'll get beaten by a better team" but it never happened.  I'd say England's team are much more talented than that Greece team but they have a solid team plan which has worked to this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only similarity would be great set-pieces.

England still hasn't played against a team that's supposed to be better than them.
Idk what's the narrative in your media, but Colombia and Sweden certainly aren't better by England. Colombia didn't have their best player, either.
Therefore, you can't say the defense was solid because England has faced  one world class player during the whole torunament, 32yo Falcao.
I don't count Belgium game because it was basically a friendly.

England played really well against Sweden, but Sweden is a team they should beat in every possible scenario.
Colombia game was a sh**show because of the way Colombians acted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

C'mon now, Sweden is not world class team, they have no superstars but they're extremely tough to beat. Knocked out Netherland, Italy, blown Mexico away and fairly decent Switzerland. They ain't no pushover. Expected much more from them vs England though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expected more from Colombia as well. Sure they didn't have James, but they have talented players. Had they had the right mentality instead of just hacking every Englishmen in sight and just knuckle down and play some football, they should've absolutely won that game. Sure it went to penalties, but if England lost that match, I would've said England got robbed.

Also other than a few shots saved by Pickford, Sweden didn't really look at all threatening, and the team looked very comfortable. After the Maguire goal, England never looked liked losing. Had Sterling finished his dinner, the game would've been killed by half time.

England were lucky that the two teams they've faced in the knockouts didn't entirely show up to the occasion, but England deserves credit to not make the opponent play to their strengths. Watching the Russia vs Croatia match, I thought to myself, "Well whoever goes through here, no way are they beating England" because they were both so underwhelming. Not to mention a few Croatian players picked up a few niggles here and there, they won't be as fit for the semifinals. They do have amazing players, and an amazing fighting spirit - playing 2 games that ended in penalties are no mean feat for the mental side - but I'd expect that from a team that have reached a World Cup semifinal. Despite the team full of players in clubs that are known to bottle a few matches here and there, England will definitely be tough as nails, and are faves in that match. I know this thread started out as a joke, but England are one match away from a final. How mad is that.

Inb4 a Belgium vs England final, this time both teams playing their first XI. Would be like watching an EPL allstars match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Inb4 a Belgium vs England final, this time both teams playing their first XI. Would be like watching an EPL allstars match.

With all the stars playing for Belgium? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That RMSalih guy is a notorious Britain hater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, noikeee said:

With all the stars playing for Belgium? :D

I didn't say any of them played for England :brock: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, noikeee said:

With all the stars playing for Belgium? :D

Kane, Sterling, Alli, Henderson, Walker and Pickford all key players at their clubs in the Top 8 teams of the Prem. Not to mention Lingard and Young have been key players for United the last 12 months too. And Stones before his injury was consistently in the starting line-up for City. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obvious joke there by noikeee. IMO, of all those players JD speak of, only truly star is Harry Kane. All others are good players, important for their teams but Harry is one i would call a proper star. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Constantine said:

Obvious joke there by noikeee. IMO, of all those players JD speak of, only truly star is Harry Kane. All others are good players, important for their teams but Harry is one i would call a proper star. 

In the Belgium team only really KDB is a star for respective PL teams too, then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JDownie said:

In the Belgium team only really KDB is a star for respective PL teams too, then. 

Kane is the only true top-class player on this England team, even though he's not playing up to his Tottenham level.

Alli is nowhere near Tottenham level and Sterling just has too many deficencies in his game.

KdB and Hazard are top class players on Belgium team.
I don't see Lukaku as one, but it's kind of hard to seperate him and Kane into different classes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew_ said:

Defence has looked a bit shaky tbf :D 

I think it's improved in the knockout games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Kane is the only true top-class player on this England team, even though he's not playing up to his Tottenham level.

Alli is nowhere near Tottenham level and Sterling just has too many deficencies in his game.

KdB and Hazard are top class players on Belgium team.
I don't see Lukaku as one, but it's kind of hard to seperate him and Kane into different classes.

 

Ah I forgot about Hazard, my bad. 

Then yeah, Belgium have 2 to England's 1. But nobody is ever gonna consider a defender a star, even though Walker fits the profile. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Ah I forgot about Hazard, my bad. 

Then yeah, Belgium have 2 to England's 1. But nobody is ever gonna consider a defender a star, even though Walker fits the profile. 

Courtois?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I fear about Belgium is they have world class players and they play as a team, they know their system and they don't know when they're beaten.

Wrong thread isn't it?

**** the chocolate making ****s, the only decent thing to come out of Belgium is Stella. 

It's coming home

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Ah I forgot about Hazard, my bad. 

Then yeah, Belgium have 2 to England's 1. But nobody is ever gonna consider a defender a star, even though Walker fits the profile. 

Walker is playing as a bloody CB. The best he can hope for is not to be considered a liability.

There are no star defenders left in this WC. Godin was the last one.
Noone considers Marcelo a star because of his defensive qualities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there was ever a chance an EPL Allstar team was formed, most of the players would be Belgian. If a 23-man squad EPL Allstar team was made, then arguably England would have a few more players in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Walker is playing as a bloody CB. The best he can hope for is not to be considered a liability.

There are no star defenders left in this WC. Godin was the last one.
Noone considers Marcelo a star because of his defensive qualities.

I'd argue Varane-Umtiti are just as much of a "star defender" as Godin. The entire back three of Belgium are definitely "star defenders" but thats maybe because of my Premier League bias. At least England are facing Lovren and Vida...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, adhikapp said:

I'd argue Varane-Umtiti are just as much of a "star defender" as Godin. The entire back three of Belgium are definitely "star defenders" but thats maybe because of my Premier League bias. At least England are facing Lovren and Vida... 

Varane maybe, Umtiti definitely not. Not yet at least.

If Belgium defenders are considered star defenders, then Miranda and Thiago Silva are also star defenders.

Both Alderweireld and Verthongen are already around 30 and they've won nothing.
Alderweireld did, but he was a sub behind Miranda and Godin in Atletico.

Kompany would be a star defender if he wasn't ruined by injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im happy to be honest in that;

We beat Tunisia because their full back had a brain fart in the 94th minute and gave us a corner for no reason

Beat Panama who should be no where near a football pitch let alone the World Cup

Lost to Belgium B

Drew with Colombia over 120 minutes even though they had their best player missing

Beat a Yellow Bus

And have the easiest Semi Final going as we all know Eastern European teams bottle everything

IF we faced a proper team, would we have lost? Yes, no doubt about it.

BUT we are unbeaten in Finals.... so....

Its still coming home :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

What is the story behind your Chocolate Teapot status?

The mods are as funny as they are appreciative of my past efforts on here.

Cant remember how it came about though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gizzy said:

The mods are as funny as they are appreciative of my past efforts on here.

Cant remember how it came about though.  

Definitely something about you being a shambles at one point :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JDownie said:

Kane, Sterling, Alli, Henderson, Walker and Pickford all key players at their clubs in the Top 8 teams of the Prem. Not to mention Lingard and Young have been key players for United the last 12 months too. And Stones before his injury was consistently in the starting line-up for City. 

I was being a bit provocative, Kane is most definitely a star and Sterling, Alli, Walker, Stones near-top players. But Belgium does have KDB, Hazard, Courtois, plus other near top players like Lukaku, their CBs etc. I think they've got more talent even if I'm not convinced they've got a more balanced team set up here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Kompany hasn't really put a foot wrong since starting has he

He will soon. Good CB but will be exposed by Mbappe come Tuesday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VamPook said:

Kompany hasn't really put a foot wrong since starting has he

Made a mistake Vs. Gabriel Jesus and arguably could've given a pen away but other than that he's been brilliant. 

26 minutes ago, ryan045 said:

He will soon. Good CB but will be exposed by Mbappe come Tuesday.

Haha good one. Kompany has played against forwards better than Mbappé and has never really suffered majorly against one particular opponent (not the way Vidic turned into an amateur at the sight of Torres, for example). He's not the kind of player to get beaten repeatedly as mentally he's a mountain. Mbappé's best hope is an injury to Kompany. More likely than Mbappé ending Kompany's career, anyway. 

E: Kompany came close Vs. Brazil but it's been 6 years since he scored for Belgium. The semi finals will be a good point to add to his tally - he loves a big game goal :)

if I had money to bet on it I would. Setpieces will be key for Belgium Vs. France, as I think France with their defensive fullbacks in Pavon and Hernandez may be better equipped to deal with their open play threat than any other side in the competition (the whole competition)  

Edited by JDownie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bestbrother said:

Im happy to be honest in that;

We beat Tunisia because their full back had a brain fart in the 94th minute and gave us a corner for no reason

Beat Panama who should be no where near a football pitch let alone the World Cup

Lost to Belgium B

Drew with Colombia over 120 minutes even though they had their best player missing

Beat a Yellow Bus

And have the easiest Semi Final going as we all know Eastern European teams bottle everything

IF we faced a proper team, would we have lost? Yes, no doubt about it.

BUT we are unbeaten in Finals.... so....

Its still coming home :)

Croatia beat the mighty Denmark and Russia, Belgium were in our group and Brazil aside, needed a late goal to beat Japan. You beat who you beat.

We have this thing in England where fans who think by being miserable they aren't 'getting caught up in it' say (this one is a good one) "we lost to the first decent team we played" - probably seen it in last tournaments and before this tournament.

Thing is, the 'first decent team' becomes whoever beats us :brock:

Guarantee if we lost to Colombia everyone would have said we lost to the first decent team we played but getting past Colombia? Nah, no one will give any credit for that.

If we'd lost to Sweden they'd have suddenly become that 'first decent team' cause of how efficient they are, took Germany to the end, hammered that really good (lolz ... sshhhh, they weren't all that really, were they) Mexico side, so, they'd be that decent side ... beat them comfortably ... nah, still not beat a 'decent team'.

That's pretty much how it goes. If we lose to Croatia they'll suddenly be the 1st decent team and so on.

We're in a semi, ffs, beating anyone to get to this point is a good thing, if the 'better' teams did better in their groups then the draw wouldn't look like this, would it!

Edited by Razzler
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Razzler said:

Croatia beat the mighty Denmark and Russia, Belgium were in our group and Brazil aside, needed a late goal to beat Japan. You beat who you beat.

We have this thing in England where fans who think by being miserable they aren't 'getting caught up in it' say (this one is a good one) "we lost to the first decent team we played" - probably seen it in last tournaments and before this tournament.

Thing is, the 'first decent team' becomes whoever beats us :brock:

Guarantee if we lost to Colombia everyone would have said we lost to the first decent team we played but getting past Colombia? Nah, no one will give any credit for that.

If we'd lost to Sweden they'd have suddenly become that 'first decent team' cause of how efficient they are, took Germany to the end, hammered that really good (lolz ... sshhhh, they weren't all that really, were they) Mexico side, so, they'd be that decent side ... beat them comfortably ... nah, still not beat a 'decent team'.

That's pretty much how it goes. If we lose to Croatia they'll suddenly be the 1st decent team and so on.

We're in a semi, ffs, beating anyone to get to this point is a good thing, if the 'better' teams did better in their groups then the draw wouldn't look like this, would it!

i dont care who we beat but im calling it as i see it.

if we had lost to sweden or colombia id be fuming as they are both crap. i also dont think croatia are much cop so fully expect us to waltz that.

our only hard game will be the final and we are unbeaten in finals so the odds are in our favor.

not sure why you are trying to defend englands run to the final though. play **** beat **** = happy.. play **** lose to **** = unhappy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Razzler said:

Guarantee if we lost to Colombia everyone would have said we lost to the first decent team we played but getting past Colombia? Nah, no one will give any credit for that.

This so much. Colombia were very good. Now they are rubbish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who can even concentrate at work? 

This is been one of the most unproductive, unprofessional few weeks of my life. 

And I spent most of last December running a quiz on otf. 

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, bestbrother said:

 

not sure why you are trying to defend englands run to the final though. play **** beat **** = happy.. play **** lose to **** = unhappy.

There's nothing to defend.

If a team can't finish top of their group then they'll end up in a different part of the draw, won't they. That's how the draw works.

Neither Colombia or Sweden are 'crap' and no one is waltzing anyone in the semi finals but if thinking like this enables you to be super angry if we lose then go ahead, champ!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Razzler said:

There's nothing to defend.

If a team can't finish top of their group then they'll end up in a different part of the draw, won't they. That's how the draw works.

Neither Colombia or Sweden are 'crap' and no one is waltzing anyone in the semi finals but if thinking like this enables you to be super angry if we lose then go ahead, champ!

I wont be super angry, thanks for you concern though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Who can even concentrate at work? 

This is been one of the most unproductive, unprofessional few weeks of my life. 

And I spent most of last December running a quiz on otf. 

:D

I also can't concentrate at all. I'm still in my probation period at this job and have just been given my first big project... probably not the best time for this all to be happening :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t really check the odds but have England been favourites in all their games (not counting Belgium as that was an anomaly)?  Who’s favourites for the Croatia game?

I think were so used to choking its now seen as a big achievement to beat the sides we should be beating. You see some of the big teams underperforming so it’s good that we’re not in with that lot.

Southgate’s secured his job now for the Euro’s whatever happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I haven’t really check the odds but have England been favourites in all their games (not counting Belgium as that was an anomaly)?  Who’s favourites for the Croatia game?

England are 8/13 to qualify, Croatia 13/10.

England are joint second favourites to win the World Cup (11/4). Belgium are also 11/4, whilst France are 2/1 favourites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the route to the final (if we get there) has been favourable - but it's not like it hasn't happened before. Look at Germany in 2002. They faced Cameroon, Saudi Arabia and Ireland in the group stage. Followed by Paraguay, USA and South Korea. Was that really any harder? Can only beat the teams in front of you and no-one will really think about who we faced to get there if we do the unthinkable and win the tournament.

Plus it add's a nice symmetry to holding all the mens World Cup titles at the different age groups in one cycle.

Edited by Tony85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...