It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Tony85 said:

I know the route to the final (if we get there) has been favourable - but it's not like it hasn't happened before. Look at Germany in 2002. They faced Cameroon, Saudi Arabia and Ireland in the group stage. Followed by Paraguay, USA and South Korea. Was that really any harder? Can only beat the teams in front of you and no-one will really think about who we faced to get there if we do the unthinkable and win the tournament.

That's the only time I can think of that has happened before though. And that Germany side, apart from Kahn Klose and Ballack, was honestly ****ing awful. :D Worst side I've ever seen reach a WC final, easy to forget that because it was Germany. England were stronger that tournament to be honest.

Whatever happens in the semi or final I think the team and players should take a look at what has happened and realise that you don't need to be a team of megastars to go deep into a tournament, you need to play well, with confidence and have a bit of luck (although I think people in the media are underselling our players a bit, like they're a collection of work experience kids!)

France are amazing and so are Belgium but they are not without weaknesses and neither are Brazil.

We don't need to go into tournaments fearing everyone, we see teams like Costa Rica (and even Wales ;) ) go into tournaments and get further than they maybe thought, Iran fought for their lives, Morocco were out and gave Spain a game when Spain needed something. Teams just doing their best, sneaking out of groups or getting results.

It's not just Greece did it or Denmark or even Portugal in the Euros ... it's not just going all the way and winning but the teams that get further than they thought by even being organised or having a few good things go their way and using the talents they do have as well as they can.

I don't think maybe thought Sweden would make a semi or not beat Mexico 3-0, they have Championship players throughout, striker plays here in Al Ain, ffs, that's all fine, it's no barrier to getting out of a group or winning a knockout game.

All I ever wanted from our players is to not be scared cause I always think if we play near to how well we can then the results will follow. You don't need to be THE BEST so I hope we learn from this going into the next tournament and the next

3 minutes ago, noikeee said:

That's the only time I can think of that has happened before though. And that Germany side, apart from Kahn Klose and Ballack, was honestly ****ing awful. :D Worst side I've ever seen reach a WC final, easy to forget that because it was Germany. England were stronger that tournament to be honest.

Brazil beating us in 2002 was by far their best result, the rest of their run was lucking past a so-so Belgium before they played us and Turkey in the semi finals. They had freaking North Korea, Turkey and China in their group.

Sometimes '1 big result' is enough to get to a final.

Heading off to Benicassim next week so already have the day off, but we booked flights for the bloody Sunday didn't we. It was booked months ago... 'You realise it's the World Cup final that day right?'.... 'yeah but as if England are going to be in it..' ffs :D

We do have some leeway so can watch it in Barcelona but if that flight is delayed I'm just buying a later one after the final. Don't care if it costs me £200, if we win the semi, I might never get this opportunity again.

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

https://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/charts/songs/

3 Lions 1 & 9

Vindaloo 13th

World in Motion 21st

We can do this :D 

World in Motion only 21st!? 

I've played that a hell of a lot more often than 3 lions these past weeks. 

Bloody mellennials, don't know they're born *shakes fist*

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

They've been far from amazing this World Cup, team full of great players who have done enough to get this far 

I mean on paper.

We look at the likes of France, Belgium or Brazil and think of them as amazing all the way through.

We criticise our 'golden generation' but damn, that was a freaking good team. A bit more tactical flexibility and players that weren't arses who knows!

Paul Scholes was on beIN the other day adding another voice to the others that talked about how they were all feckers during the time we had that team. The cliques, club atmospheres, not really getting on or mixing much and generally not enjoying it. Capello being a dictator and not popular, Sven not wanting to do anything about that within the team.

Amazing how great everything was back then but now it starts creeping out. This is why I never believe the 'we're such a great group, best ever' in any team, just show me, don't tell me cause we never know what is going on

Southgate's in game management is a bit iffy, but in terms of putting together a squad and having a tactical plan he's been fantastic. When were we last so good and dangerous at set pieces? Also he's put the formation he wants to play first and then fitted the players in around it, that can backfire (see Sven when arguably he should have fitted the formation around the players he had rather than insisting on various types of 442) but it's worked really well for Southgate, all the players seem to be on board with what he wants to do.

5 minutes ago, Razzler said:

Brazil beating us in 2002 was by far their best result, the rest of their run was lucking past a so-so Belgium before they played us and Turkey in the semi finals. They had freaking North Korea, Turkey and China in their group.

Sometimes '1 big result' is enough to get to a final.

True but at least they were real good and did play England. Germany were **** and played nobody good. :D 

That WC was just bizarre, all top players either injured (Figo), way off form, with their teams playing like absolute **** (France, Argentina), or screwed by the ref (Italy, Spain). End result is that those semi-finals lineup were possibly the weakest ever. Weaker than this year IMO. I'm not sure we have a side that's as good as Brazil 2002 in here, but even Croatia and England '2018 are probably stronger than that Germany side and definitely stronger than that SK and Turkey.

2 minutes ago, Robbie.Knox said:

Heading off to Benicassim next week so already have the day off, but we booked flights for the bloody Sunday didn't we. It was booked months ago... 'You realise it's the World Cup final that day right?'.... 'yeah but as if England are going to be in it..' ffs :D

We do have some leeway so can watch it in Barcelona but if that flight is delayed I'm just buying a later one after the final. Don't care if it costs me £200, if we win the semi, I might never get this opportunity again.

It's usually pretty cheap top fly out the next day after Benicassim, especially from Valencia (I definitely havent slept in Valencia airport and flown out the next day to save money...)

2 minutes ago, Razzler said:

I mean on paper.

We look at the likes of France, Belgium or Brazil and think of them as amazing all the way through.

We criticise our 'golden generation' but damn, that was a freaking good team. A bit more tactical flexibility and players that weren't arses who knows!

Paul Scholes was on beIN the other day adding another voice to the others that talked about how they were all feckers during the time we had that team. The cliques, club atmospheres, not really getting on or mixing much and generally not enjoying it. Capello being a dictator and not popular, Sven not wanting to do anything about that within the team.

Amazing how great everything was back then but now it starts creeping out. This is why I never believe the 'we're such a great group, best ever' in any team, just show me, don't tell me cause we never know what is going on

Tbf, it's not creeping out now, it's been out for years, even back then a lot of it was out

I would fancy our chances if we went a goal down and the other team sat back abit. Doesnt seem to be enough creative ideas in the team at times to breakdown a stubborn defence. 

Columbia game other than the goal i dont remember any chances we had? And Sweden other than the Sterling chances late on when they were pushing to get back in the game we didn't do a great deal infront of goal.

13 minutes ago, Paul Bacon said:

I would fancy our chances if we went a goal down and the other team sat back abit. Doesnt seem to be enough creative ideas in the team at times to breakdown a stubborn defence. 

Columbia game other than the goal i dont remember any chances we had? And Sweden other than the Sterling chances late on when they were pushing to get back in the game we didn't do a great deal infront of goal.

If you're good at set pieces you always have a chance to be fair.

42 minutes ago, noikeee said:

Brazil 1998? Scotland, Morocco and Norway group stage. Chile, Denmark and Netherlands in the knock-outs. Pretty similar really - I don't remember Chile being anything special back then. If we beat Croatia then you can sub them in for the Dutch. I'm sure I could find more examples if I could be bothered going back further. At the end of the day - people only remember the champions.

If we're talking easy routes to the semis, Sweden 1938 deserve a shout out.  Supposed to play Austria in the First Round, but Austria were thrown out the World Cup altogether because of the Anschluss.  Then they beat Cuba 8-0 in the last eight. 

3 minutes ago, Tony85 said:

Brazil 1998? Scotland, Morocco and Norway group stage. Chile, Denmark and Netherlands in the knock-outs. Pretty similar really - I don't remember Chile being anything special back then. If we beat Croatia then you can sub them in for the Dutch. I'm sure I could find more examples if I could be bothered going back further. At the end of the day - people only remember the champions.

That Netherlands side was amazing. Netherlands 1998-2000 is the best Netherlands team I've seen IMO (too young to have watched Euro 88). Not really that comparable to present day Croatia which are okay and have 2 world class midfielders but the rest of the team isn't all that.

Denmark then was a decent side too, think they'd rank along modern-day Croatia or a little step behind. Definitely seen as a bigger force than current Denmark. They had Schmeichel and the Laudrups... (altho Michael was aging).

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12016/11430775/jordan-henderson-injury-doubt-for-england-with-tight-hamstring

Jordan Henderson is an injury doubt for England's World Cup semi-final against Croatia with a tight hamstring, Sky Sports News understands.

It is understood the problem is not too serious, but England's medical staff will manage the Liverpool captain's fitness carefully ahead of Wednesday's match.

The squad resume training on Monday for the first time since Saturday's quarter-final win over Sweden at their Repino base after having a rest day on Sunday.

Jamie Vardy is another injury concern for England boss Gareth Southgate - he was unavailable for Saturday's 2-0 win after sustaining a groin strain in extra-time against Colombia last Tuesday.

Henderson has started all but one of England's games - the 1-0 defeat to Belgium when Southgate made eight changes to his starting XI in the final Group G match.

During England's last-16 match against Colombia, Henderson ran more than two kilometres further than any other player on the pitch.

Is Eric Dier good enough to step in?

England's 1990 route was pretty easy - two 0-0 draws in the group to Ireland and the Netherlands and a 1-0 win over Egypt; a 1-0 win against Belgium in extra time; and a lucky 3-2 win over Cameroon in the quarters.

I think this year is better than that to be honest, although 1990 did help with the general popularity of the game in England.

4 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

If we're talking easy routes to the semis, Sweden 1938 deserve a shout out.  Supposed to play Austria in the First Round, but Austria were thrown out the World Cup altogether because of the Anschluss.  Then they beat Cuba 8-0 in the last eight. 

I agree that's very rubbish, but pre-war World Cups are from such a different context it's pretty unfair to compare. Even 1950/1960s cups before the tournament started properly expanding.

9 minutes ago, noikeee said:

That Netherlands side was amazing. Netherlands 1998-2000 is the best Netherlands team I've seen IMO (too young to have watched Euro 88). Not really that comparable to present day Croatia which are okay and have 2 world class midfielders but the rest of the team isn't all that. 

Denmark then was a decent side too, think they'd rank along modern-day Croatia or a little step behind. Definitely seen as a bigger force than current Denmark. They had Schmeichel and the Laudrups... (altho Michael was aging). 

Yeah, that Netherlands team was probably even better than the 2010 one.

I still remember the third place playoff game vividly. One of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen. Netherlands was by far the better team, but in both semi final and third place playoff they just couldn't get over the hump.
Then that 2000 semi final against Italy happens where another amazing goalkeeping performance happens with Netherlands missing 5 out of 6 penalties and they were done for a decade, basically.

59 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's usually pretty cheap top fly out the next day after Benicassim, especially from Valencia (I definitely havent slept in Valencia airport and flown out the next day to save money...)

I have done this for exactly the same reason.  Horrible night's sleep though.

3 minutes ago, ham_aka_stam said:

I have done this for exactly the same reason.  Horrible night's sleep though.

Yeah we didn't really sleep. Since the entire airport closed overnight, we sat around drinking vodka and playing frisbee in the terminal till our flights

57 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Even Italy in 06. Played Australia and Ukraine in the last 16 and quarters before meeting Germany.

Doing a bit of a disservice there. That Australian side was bloody good and had Hiddink at his peak.

So i need to find something to order from Amazon to be delivered on Wednesday night. 

I've developed a ritual for the knock out games, and I'm scared to change it.  So on Wednesday it'll be the same again:

Wear my short shorts and black t-shirt

Go outside for a ciggy

Sing world in motion (particularly the John Barnes rap) whilst the national anthem is on

3 x Coronas

1 x Amazon delivery (the hair dryer arrived during the first half, the gout tablets before the match started)

1 x Kronenberg 

2 ciggies at half time

One more round of World in Motion

3 x Kronenbergs

2 x Stella

1 x sing world in motion. 

Order KFC/go to pub to celebrate 

I'll get the drinks in, that's fine.  Just wondering what to order from Amazon.  Against Colombia it my new hair dryer, against Sweden I had my gout cheery concentrate tablets delivered :D not sure what to order for Wednesday. Maybe a couple of t-shirts. 

5 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

So i need to find something to order from Amazon to be delivered on Wednesday night. 

I've developed a ritual for the knock out games, and I'm scared to change it.  So on Wednesday it'll be the same again:

Go outside for a ciggy

Sing world in motion (particularly the John Barnes rap) whilst the national anthem is on

3 x Coronas

1 x Amazon delivery (the hair dryer arrived during the first half, the gout tablets before the match started)

1 x Kronenberg 

2 ciggies at half time

3 x Kronenbergs

2 x Stella

I'll get the drinks in, that's fine.  Just wondering what to order from Amazon.  Against Colombia it my new hair dryer, against Sweden I had my gout cheery concentrate tablets delivered :D not sure what to order for Wednesday. Maybe a couple of t-shirts. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wall-Shame-Robert-Michael-Wynn/dp/1976910897

There you go 

12 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Go outside for a ciggy

3 x Coronas

1 x Kronenberg 

2 ciggies at half time

3 x Kronenbergs

2 x Stella

Order KFC/go to pub to celebrate 

I was going to make a thread about this.

I've done something different for each game and I'm running out of places to watch.

Tunisia - down in the bar at the 5 a side we usually play at.

Panama - Pub with my match day mates

Belgium - mates house

Colombia - my house

Sweden - Work van

Croatia - going to my dads 

Final - ?

18 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

Apparently the government is about to announce that the semi-final will be screened in Hyde Park, as will the final if we were to get there. All over that.

Just heard that, that could be fun, straight out of work. 

2 minutes ago, toon_84 said:

I was going to make a thread about this.

I've done something different for each game and I'm running out of places to watch.

Tunisia - down in the bar at the 5 a side we usually play at.

Panama - Pub with my match day mates

Belgium - mates house

Colombia - my house

Sweden - Work van

Croatia - going to my dads 

Final - ?

Tunisia: Minories, Tower Hill

Panama: Classic Football Shirts Pop Up, Hackney

Belgium: Skylight, Wapping

Colombia: At home

Sweden: Skylight, Wapping

Croatia: Hopefully Hyde Park!

Tunisia - The George, Belsize Park

Panama - Red Lion, Benidorm

Belgium - Work, South Hampstead

Colombia - Home, Tottenham

Sweden - Frog and Fiddle, Cheltenham, visiting girlfriend's family

Croatia - TBC

Final - TBC

1 hour ago, Crispypaul said:

England's 1990 route was pretty easy - two 0-0 draws in the group to Ireland and the Netherlands and a 1-0 win over Egypt; a 1-0 win against Belgium in extra time; and a lucky 3-2 win over Cameroon in the quarters.

I think this year is better than that to be honest, although 1990 did help with the general popularity of the game in England.

That was not remotely easy.

9 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Panama - Red Lion, Benidorm

I had the worst lasagne of my entire life in that pub. What the **** was I thinking ordering lasagne in a novelty British pub in Benidorm?!

9 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

Tunisia: Minories, Tower Hill

Still have the screen in the garden?  Not a bad place to watch the footy! 

8 minutes ago, sc91 said:

Tunisia - The George, Belsize Park

Hate the George.  Around the corner you have Roebuck.  has a pub garden with a screen.  A little more pricey, but none of the riff raff. 

Tunisia - Ye Olde London, Ludgate Hill (banished the memories of sitting here watching us lose to Iceland in the Euros

Panama - Rose & Crown, Tooting

Belgium - Maple Leaf, Covent Garden (Yet to see England win at this pub, watched us lose to Italy and Uruguay in the last WC here)

Colombia - Porterhouse, Covent Garden

Sweden - Porterhouse, Covent Garden

Croatia - ??

Don't ask why, just so happens that me and my mates often go to Maple Leaf or Porterhouse, but can't bring myself to go to the former seeing as it's ****ing cursed. The Porterhouse is a great atmopshere if you can get downstairs but it will be rammed. for the Colombia game i left work early and got down there about 4:30 and held a big table by myself nursing a bottle of estrella for my mates who turned up about 6. I was getting pure evils as the table was right by the screen and held about 8 :D not sure I can get away with it again

I've applied for the Hyde Park ballot which could be a laugh or complete carnage, otherwise I don't really know where to go, if I don't get tickets in the ballot, I will leave work early again and hope for the best somewhere

Archived