FM18 - Who will you manage?

HI all,

Couldn't see an existing thread for this, so thought I'd kick one off.........lots of FM18 excitement building so I was wondering who you are looking forward to managing and why?

I think Billericay Town could be fun (but will need a custom DB to play them) as they have some really big names for a small club.

I will do my usual Ipswich save as that is the team I follow, Newcastle always appeal as they are a sleeping giant who have never quite made it as a big CL side.

Usually I like to find clubs in the lower leagues who have big potential, i.e good sized stadium, big fanbase and such.

I'll probably do another editor based save with this FM too, maybe pump the Irish league with money, impose a 3 max foreigner rule and see if you can grow the league as a whole and improve the national side.

San Marino challenge always a great one, but very long! 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool as standard, they should be good in FM18. I'm also planning on doing a Road to Glory save trying to get Chester to the Premier League, as they're my home city. Once the non-league databases are made, I'm then going to try to get my proper local team, the Runcorn Linnets, up into the league, where their predecessor club deserved to be back in the 90s.

Obvious who I choose, who I always choose. Would like also to run a save for a European side but never have the time

@mrdanbartlettI'd disagree that Newcastle, being an EPL side, are a sleeping giant. You would reserve that for clubs in the lower leagues with relatively big fan bases but have fallen on hard times.  In terms of CL football As of the 2016–2017 season, they have played a total of 16 seasons in European football. Good old Alan Shearer is the clubs leading goalscorer in European competition with 30 goals. Your goalkeeper Shay Given has made the most appearances in European competition for Newcastle with 54.

I would see sleeping giants potentially as these clubs in league 2: Notts County, Coventry, Luton,  Port Vale etc. certainly not Newcastle :)

I'm thinking about going with Standard Liége, had a really fun save with them in some of the older championship managers.

+ my usual yearly save with Szeged in Hungary and maybe Ponferradina.

A journeyman save is also possible, will see if I have the patience for it.

I always start unemployed. But I'm considering a save with 1860 Munich. Who this last season were relegated from the Bundesliga, and then the owner failed to pay licensing so they were demoted to the 4th tier.

Leeds, as always, but certainly now we have a pretty impressive squad, I just hope it's reflected fairly in game too.

Will obviously be looking at the likes of Wolves too, with a squad like they have the potential is high.

Shewsbury appeal to me this season too.

Everton for a premier league side I think. Such an exciting squad for a career, love to see how Davies, Lewin and co are rated.

As mentioned in a previous thread, my first FM18 save - provided I decide to buy FM this year - will be with my club Arsenal.

I've never had a proper long-term career with them, but rebuilding the team after last season's failures really appeals to me. I'm thinking of focussing on developing players through the youth system, and restricting myself to signing players who are either British/Irish or aged <21.

3 hours ago, MrPompey said:

Obvious who I choose, who I always choose. Would like also to run a save for a European side but never have the time

@mrdanbartlettI'd disagree that Newcastle, being an EPL side, are a sleeping giant. You would reserve that for clubs in the lower leagues with relatively big fan bases but have fallen on hard times.  In terms of CL football As of the 2016–2017 season, they have played a total of 16 seasons in European football. Good old Alan Shearer is the clubs leading goalscorer in European competition with 30 goals. Your goalkeeper Shay Given has made the most appearances in European competition for Newcastle with 54.

I would see sleeping giants potentially as these clubs in league 2: Notts County, Coventry, Luton,  Port Vale etc. certainly not Newcastle :)

Sorry I meant with Newcastle you could make them a CL finalist within 5 years, but a club like Coventry, Leeds, Villa would like take 10 years to get to that level I suspect.

1 hour ago, CFuller said:

As mentioned in a previous thread, my first FM18 save - provided I decide to buy FM this year - will be with my club Arsenal.

I've never had a proper long-term career with them, but rebuilding the team after last season's failures really appeals to me. I'm thinking of focussing on developing players through the youth system, and restricting myself to signing players who are either British/Irish or aged <21.

That sounds a great save.

1 hour ago, Welshace said:

Leeds, as always, but certainly now we have a pretty impressive squad, I just hope it's reflected fairly in game too.

Will obviously be looking at the likes of Wolves too, with a squad like they have the potential is high.

Shewsbury appeal to me this season too.

Everton for a premier league side I think. Such an exciting squad for a career, love to see how Davies, Lewin and co are rated.

My big FM17 I ended up at Leeds, got them out of the Champ fairly easily and then turned them into a massive force - however Utd were just insanely strong and I only won 1 premier league title in whast was a 5 year 2 horse race between us and Utd.  I finally won the CL in 2025 with them too, but now PSG are paying the release clauses in some of my star players contracts......despite them being over £100m a pop!

Going with my usual starting unemployed no badges/Sunday experience journeyman save most likely. Got 2 job offers from Paris FC in the French 3rd division this year and didn't get past the interviews, but they intrigued me, so I might start with them until the lower league databases are completed.

May be AC Milan i think they have a lot of potential to work with as the start of FM18 save.

PSG is another one but i feel with the signings they made this season its going to be easy one for league with their Potential.  Milan offers the Perfect scenario as they had still to fight against Juventus domination and European Fights with a high potential team. 

I always struggle to fully enjoy an FM save as Pompey; my own emotional attachment to the club means I rarely make "realistic" managerial decisions, and I'm also far more likely to bring real world prejudices against players into the game.

So, my shortlist at the minute is:

Hartlepool United - newly relegated to the 5th tier, the challenge is on to regain their League status by succeeding in a notoriously difficult division to "escape".

Blyth Spartans - playable out-of-the-box for the first time in a few seasons, I have family up there... and to be honest I love the team name!

Something completely different - I rarely play outside of the English League system, familiarity I guess. But I do fancy finding a fallen European giant and resurrecting their fortunes.

@pompey1978 - Well every manager has their view on players. Look what Jackett has done since Cook left. I think Burgess and Clarke are really the only regulars from last season we have in the 1st team. It just may take a few seasons to change the player staffing to how you want to play football.

Additionally happy to hear any views on my player research ESPECIALLY young talent if you get chance to have a look during open beta :)

IF I BUY this year, Arsenal will be the first save, fix the problems of the current regime and spend some ****ing money!!

I had a pretty long save with them on 17, so that means it will probably only be a short one this year. So I'll either find a save abroad - maybe rebuilding Monaco after they got picked to pieces this summer, or go find a club lower down the league structure - thinking about restoring Coventry.

Solo game... my boys Millwall (gotta try and beat Leeds (my dads team) by more than 1 goal) or Gosport Borough, The online game I play with my dad we always start in League 2 in England and use a random number generator to pick the teams, so it's always something different.

After playing three journeyman saves in the last three editions, I thought I'd go to make a main save of a club as I used to do, in which case it would be go back to Burgos CF because it's the ciuty I was born in. I thought Crewe as I had a successful save with that team in FM09, but since I read English leagues are easy (I disagree at the very least about Championship) I'll make it be Burgos. On the other hand, I find I've enjoyed my journeyman saves quite a bit and I know I'll miss them.

after the first patch comes out I'll go with Dundee United.

before the patch either Forest or Roma, as I like to test the game out with a club which has decent resources.

I dont tend to stick to my long term save till after the Jan transfer window closes IRL

On 9/19/2017 at 17:02, mrdanbartlett said:

I will do my usual Ipswich save as that is the team I follow, Newcastle always appeal as they are a sleeping giant who have never quite made it as a big CL side.

We're the Tractor Boys, gunna make some noise, ole ole :thup::applause:

Firstly, a few people saying IF they buy FM18... c'mon your on the forum your going to buy the game! Stop kidding yourselves :lol:

Had a good save on FM17 with Eastleigh in which i won the National League on the last day over Lincoln that was fun. I usually look for the teams without manager at the start on a save and find one that suits my style and see how i go.

i like to manage Arsenal too even though I'm a Man United fan in the real world :idiot:

Until the lower league database is up and running  I'll have a play around with Newcastle but won't properly get into a save until the database is done, or maybe start off in conference north / south but I like to start as low as possible.

2 hours ago, bigmattb28 said:

Until the lower league database is up and running  I'll have a play around with Newcastle but won't properly get into a save until the database is done, or maybe start off in conference north / south but I like to start as low as possible.

Much as I'd like to go lower than the Conf I find that if I do by the time I've either got the lower club into the football league, or moved my way up the ladder and at a bigger club then 90% of the players are just regens, no known names left etc.

Still I do see the appeal of a more realistic approach working right from level 22 or such. 

My go-to club to manage for the last few versions has been Lokomotiv Moscow, who are a likely candidate. Vitesse in The Netherlands are a close second. Both play in Europa League this year, so that adds a bit of extra fun. That said, on FM17 I managed to explore the world a bit more. Had 2 great saves in Colombia with Envigado and am currently in Mexico with Pumas, and both clubs will definitely need saves. Just a tough decision of where to explore first.

Come on FM18 :-)

I often feel like I'm missing out by not venturing further afield than the Scottish leagues or top European leagues when I fancy a change in my save but being Scottish I love developing the league and small teams and making us more of a force in Europe.

7 hours ago, Sammy_CJ said:

Firstly, a few people saying IF they buy FM18... c'mon your on the forum your going to buy the game! Stop kidding yourselves

I tell myself every year I'm not buying it, and every year I do.

I think this year will be the year I stop though, unless I see serious improvements in the areas I find most frustrating. Like nonsense like this:

20170922162836_1_zpslhujv9zw.jpg

Concede five at home in a match we dominated and should have won. The right back's agent comes to me and asks for a new contract... Okay. I know players and agents in real life have little self awareness, but silliness like this is all too common, too many situations in game with a complete lack of contextual awareness.

Also, goalkeeping match ratings. Not a major issue, but I made a thread for FM15, posted loads of examples of the game not giving realistic ratings to goalkeepers, with an obvious over-emphasis on passing stats as opposed to actual, you know, goalkeeping. I was told it was under review. Two versions later, fully patched, it's exactly the same.

4 hours ago, Bigpapa42 said:

My go-to club to manage for the last few versions has been Lokomotiv Moscow, who are a likely candidate. Vitesse in The Netherlands are a close second. Both play in Europa League this year, so that adds a bit of extra fun. That said, on FM17 I managed to explore the world a bit more. Had 2 great saves in Colombia with Envigado and am currently in Mexico with Pumas, and both clubs will definitely need saves. Just a tough decision of where to explore first.

Come on FM18 :-)

Never managed in either, can you sell it to me?  I was put off Brazil/Argentina by the number of games  they have to play, not played in those 2 leagues for about 5 FM's

Archived