Who gets your kit number and what club/country do you support?

This is probably going to be one of those 'everyone posts, no one reads' threads, but what the hey.

Why do I ask for who you support? Because you were influenced by their squad numbers!

1 - Goalkeeper

2 - Right back

3 - Left back

4 - Centre back, rarely defensive midfielder

5 - Centre back

6 - Centre back or maybe defensive midfielder

7 - Star attacking midfielder or star striker or right midfielder

8 - Attacker

9 - Striker (usually poacher)

10 - Attacking central midfielder/'the hole' or striker (usually the assister)

11 - Side midfielder/winger

12 - Utility defender

13 - Any

14 - Attacking midfielder or striker

15 - Central midfielder

16 - Central midfielder

17 - Striker, midfielder or wing back

18 - Striker or attacking central midfielder/'the hole'

19 - Striker

20 - Striker

21 - Utility defender

22 - Defender

23 - Striker

24-30 or 40 - Any

30+ or 40+ - Reserves, youth or players I wanted to get rid of getting a rare call up.

Goalkeepers can be any of them really.

Supported Manchester United and England from the 1998 FA Cup final really.

Why do I ask for who you support? Because you were influenced by their squad numbers!.

Isn't it more of a... cultural thing and a development of tactics from a bygone era where it was 1-11 in order from bottom to top of the pyramid.

Anyway I click auto and try and give preferred numbers to players regardless of position, should 2 share a preferred number then my favorite of the two get it. Also I support AFC Bournemouth and Wales.

Isn't it more of a... cultural thing and a development of tactics from a bygone era where it was 1-11 in order from bottom to top of the pyramid.

Anyway I click auto and try and give preferred numbers to players regardless of position, should 2 share a preferred number then my favorite of the two get it. Also I support AFC Bournemouth and Wales.

Do regens ever develop a preferred number? I think I never had this happening...

I don't tend to like to mess with players existing numbers when I join a club. I can't help but think of little Timmy who just had his favourite players name put on the back on his shirt for his birthday only for that nasty new manager to go and change it and ruin everything. Given the choice though, I am something of a traditionalist and like to keep the 1-11 numbers for roughly the positions that they've been for historically. I went through a spell of not giving anyone the 13 shirt, but I've not bothered with that in a while. I'll always give a player their preferred shirt choice though. Unless they're some back up squad member and they want a number belonging to somebody who is important to the squad.

I'm fairly fluid with my numbering, normally just going with whatever seems 'right' for a player (I have been known to go on to the Man Utd store page to have a look what number feels right).

That said certain numbers do go to certain players:

Goalkeepers get numbers 1, 34, 51, 73

12 and 13 normally stay unassigned

5,15 normally go to CBs

16 to a defensive midfielder

number 92 (the number I have on the back of all my shirts irl) goes to a regen who comes through that I like, is then kept till they retire or someone I like more comes along.

Seems like I am in the minority when it comes to large and 'stupid' numbers, in cup games it's mot unheard of to see my teams with no player wearing a shirt with a number under 50...

Correct squad numbers are essential to me (only one other friend understands their importance!) and as such I follow two things, the first being old champ default numbers and I just repeat ad nauseam through the cycles of 11 (i.e. third choice right winger is 29):

and the other being how their name in capitals looks with that number, and if it doesn't fit I change it.

BECKHAM

doesn't really work for me, its not easy on the eye, so how about

BECKHAM

Numbers have a vague importance to me, especially 1-11, but I tend to go with whatever seems to fit. I do tend to rotate the squad a lot. At the moment:

1: 1st GK

2: RB

3: LB

4: Attacking CM

5: 1st CB

6: Left-footed CB

7: Captain, best played in the world, creative AM/ST

8: Attacking CM

9: Big ST

10: Local lad, vice-captain, prolific ST

11: Rotational AM

12: DM

13: 2nd GK

14: Pacey ST

15: Rotational CB

16: DM

17: Young Attacking CM

18: Young, either-sided FB

19: Big ST

20: Defensive CM

21: Either-sided FB

23: Defensive CM

25: Young ST

26: Left-footed CB

33: Right-footed LB

I support Liverpool, and I think some numbers are influenced by real-world players (I'm in 2028 now) - for example 7, 8, 9 and 10, but then numbers like 23 and 4 aren't close to being the players I associate with those numbers (Carra and Hyypia).

1: First choice goalkeeper

2, 3, 5, 6: First choice defenders numbers, 3 is almost always left back but right back can be either 5 or 2.

4: Deep lying creative midfielder

7: Attacking midfielder/right winger

8: Box to box midfielder

9: Number one striker

10: Creative attacker, either CF or AM.

11: Left winger.

The other numbers are done randomly, but I tend to give 14 and 99 to potential star strikers and 18 goes to the midfielder with the most potential.

My squad numbers, I did used to have more numbers assigned back when we only had the 2D view as it was an easy way to see if players were out of position as no matter who I played with the same numbers were used for each position so I'd always know who my rightback was even if I didn't remember his name:

GK; 1, 13, 31 (99 on occassion for a yth player)

RB; 2, 12, 32

DC; 6, 15, 36

DC; 4, 14, 34

LB; 3, 18, 27

RM; 7, 17, 37

DM; 5, 16, 35

AM; 8, 19, 28, 38

LM; 11, 22, 33

ST; 10, 20, 30

ST; 9, 29, 39

Rest of the numbers in the 20's are used for filler players.

Some of the numbers are influenced by my supporting of Man Utd, though I've used those numbers since the 2D view came in back in CM4.

1: Starting GK

2: Gary Neville

3: Denis Irwin

4: Steve Bruce

5: Rio Ferdinand

6: Pally/Wes Brown

7: Iconic

8: Nicky Butt

9: Andy Cole

10: Wayne Rooney

11: Ryan Giggs

12: Utility defender (Phil Neville)

13: Park Ji-Sung

14: Pacey attacker

15: Nemanja Vidic

16: Michael Carrick

17: Tricky winger

18: Paul Scholes

19: Young striker (Welbeck)

20: Reserved for exceptional regens (attacking)

21-23: Young defenders

24: Darren Fletcher

25: Antonio Valencia (strong fullback/side midfielder)

30: Reserved for exceptional regens (attacking)

33: Reserved for exceptional regens (striker)

31-39: First gen regens

40-49: Second gen regens

I try to maintain the United traditions.

I'm using a 4-4-2 narrow diamond. I have a somewhat large squad. To avoid confusion, I can identify position by the last digit of the player's shirt number, with the exception of goalkeepers.

GK: 1 and large numbers (usually in the 30's).

DR: 2, 12, 22

DL: 3, 13, 23

CD: 4,14,24

CD: 5,15,25

DM: 6,16,26

CM(L): 7,17,27

CM®: 8,18,28

AMC: 10,20,30

ST(L): 9,19,29

ST®: 11,21,31

The way I'm assigning shirt numbers is totally to help with this particular formation and isn't anything I've used in FM before recently.

interesting how we've all got different styles

GK: 1, 13, 23, 33

DR: 2, 12, 34

DL: 3, 18, 36

DC: 5, 6, 28, 27, 29

Defensive-minded MC: 4, 19, 20, 30

Attack-minded MC: 10, 16, 17, 21

Winger: 7, 8, 14, 15

ST: 9, 11, 25, 24

yeah... I keep holes in my squad numbers

I don't mess with numbers when I arrive at a club, and if a player has a preferred number I typically let them have it, but otherwise:

1 - GK

2 - LB

3 - RB

4 - CB

5 - CB

6 - LM/AML

7 - CM

8 - CM

9 - ST

10 - DLF or AMC

11 - RM/AMR

12 - Backup GK

13 - Nobody

40-99 - Reserve team or youth team players selected for the first team squad due to injuries, low-profile cups, etc.

If I'm playing in China/Hong Kong, I'll skip all numbers with a "4" in them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraphobia

My squad numbers, I did used to have more numbers assigned back when we only had the 2D view as it was an easy way to see if players were out of position as no matter who I played with the same numbers were used for each position so I'd always know who my rightback was even if I didn't remember his name:

GK; 1, 13, 31 (99 on occassion for a yth player)

RB; 2, 12, 32

DC; 6, 15, 36

DC; 4, 14, 34

LB; 3, 18, 27

RM; 7, 17, 37

DM; 5, 16, 35

AM; 8, 19, 28, 38

LM; 11, 22, 33

ST; 10, 20, 30

ST; 9, 29, 39

Rest of the numbers in the 20's are used for filler players.

Some of the numbers are influenced by my supporting of Man Utd, though I've used those numbers since the 2D view came in back in CM4.

Quite similar to this - have the numbers 1-29 for the first team squad depending on player's main position whilst having #31,41 for young GKs #32,42 for young RBs etc. with #x7 being wingers from either side.

On average it goes like this,

GK: 1-99

DR: 2-12

DL: 3-13

DC: 4-14

DC: 5-15

DM: 6-16

CM: 8-18

AMC: 10-20

MR/AMR: 7-17

ML/AML: 11-21

STC: 9-19

If I'm playing a formation like 4-3-3, my playmaker, or most attacking CM gets 10 & 20.

Outside of things like that, I try to make sure key/favourite players get 7, 11 and 14.

For national team, it's 1-11 front to back projected first team, 12-22 back-ups and the 3rd GK gets 23 (although if I can work a preferred number, I do).

For club management, it's 1-11 front to back for my first team, then I sort by player value and starting with 12, number them consecutively (also considering preferred numbers). I understand how player numbering is very important for most leagues, but as long as the game doesn't cause outbreaks in the players for not getting a first-team number, I just have to do it the way I see is "fair"

re: who I support, short answer is "whoever I'm managing that save". I follow Sporting KC in the MLS (my "local" team) and was a far-off fan of Cardiff until their owner changed the kits from blue to red (unforgivable sin as far as I was concerned...they're the "bluebirds" not the "red dragons"...). In the EPL, probably Everton, only because I like Tim Howard.

re: who I support, short answer is "whoever I'm managing that save". I follow Sporting KC in the MLS (my "local" team) and was a far-off fan of Cardiff until their owner changed the kits from blue to red (unforgivable sin as far as I was concerned...they're the "bluebirds" not the "red dragons"...). In the EPL, probably Everton, only because I like Tim Howard.

that's my current issue with Cardiff: yeah, the owner has changed their kits (because red's a lucky colour apparently) but they're called the bluebirds

and my current issue with Hull, they're actually nicknamed the freakin Tigers, so nothing is changing really... it's stupid

1: First-choice GK

2: Back-up CB (i hate the number 2)

3: CB

4: CB

5: ?

6: DM/CB

7: Full Back

8: MC/AMC

9: ST

10: ST/AMC

11: Full Back

12: MC

17 & 18: Given to the youth players in or around my first team. they do keep it tho.

i dont do much else.

I usually play a 4-3-1-2 or similar.

GK - 1, 13, 31

RB - 2, 22, 32

LB - 3, 23, 33

CB & DCM - 4, 5, 6, 14, 15, 16, 24, 25, 26, 34, 35, 36

CM, AM & F9/DLFs - 7, 8, 10, 11, 17, 18, 20, 21, 27, 28, 30, 37, 38

AFa - 9, 19, 29, 39

Will try to give players their preferred numbers if it fits the scheme. Usually keep 12 unassigned. The "ideal" numbering scheme:

[b]      1st XI      ||       2nd XI      [/b]
   9      8      ||     19      18    
      10         ||         20        
  11   6   7     ||    21   16   17   
 3   5   4   2   ||   23  15  14  22  
       1         ||         13        

1st Team = 1-29

Fringe Players = 30-39

Reserves = 40-69 Alphabetically

Youth = 70-99 Alphabetically

I tend to aim for the following;

1- GK

2- RB

3- LB

4- Anchor Man / DM

5- CB

6- CB

7- Winger

8- CM / CAM

9- Poacher

10- #10 role

11- Winger

Other numbers I give importance to are;

17 - Back up winger

23 - Creative midfielder

31 - Third choice keeper

36 - Young striker

Other numbers from 30-39 will go to youth team players on the fringes of the first team.

Any numbers 40+ go to youth team players in order of appearance (in cups for instance). I'll carry the numbers on up to 99 if my save file goes on long enough, then roll back down to 40.

If a player specifically wants a number, I'll give it to them.

If I'm playing a sweeper keeper, he'll most likely get a completely random number. My current SK is number 95.

I like to assign numbers and for them to keep that number for their entire time with the club. I only buy youth players, so I have to make careful decisions as they will be stuck with it.

Sometimes I give players a number based on a previous club icon, like a no-nonsense D RC who reminded me of Carragher, so he got number 23. Recently signed a young DM with really good passing and creativity, so I gave him 14 a la Xabi Alonso.

If one of my 1-11 becomes vacant then I will sometimes promote one of my youngsters if I think they will become world class and deserve a good number.

1 - GK

2 - DR

3 - DL

4 - second best DC

5 - best DC

6 - MC(d)

7 - AMR

8 - MC(a)

9 - ST

10 - ST

11 - AML

12 - GK - 1st sub

13 - DC - 2nd sub

14 - DR or DL - 3rd sub

15 - MC(d) - 4th sub

16 - MC(a) - 5th sub

17 - AMR or AML - 6th sub

18 - ST - 7th sub

- I always leave a couple of numbers unassigned (in the first 25) in case I buy some extra players.

- If a player has a favorite number, I let him have it.

- Number 17 remains unassigned, if possible.

- If I manage a team with low reputation, or players I don't know very well, I tend to adopt a 1-11 system, as a form of mnemonic help (this goalkeeper wears 1, this one wears 13, so Mr. 1 must be my first choice...)

- First-choice keeper will always wear 1, second and third-choice keepers will wear 12 or 13 / 22 or 30; depends on how I feel...

- Fullbacks will wear 2 (right) and 3 (left), wingers will wear 7 ® and 11 (l), unless I have "attacking fullbacks", in that case they'll wear 7 and 11. Unless the left back is Brazilian, in that case he'll wear 6 (Roberto Carlos, Marcelo...).

- Nr. 5 is usually the more "limited" central defender. Nr. 6 is the more "ball-playing" one. If I have a Uruguayan defender, he'll have Nr. 4 (Montero, Caceres).

- Nr. 9 is the striker, Nr. 10 the second striker/attacking midfielder; Nr. 8 is a midfielder.

- A striker will wear 18, another striker will wear 27 (1 + 8 = 2 + 7 = 9).

- Ball-winning midfielders will wear 26 (Davids) or 14 (Deschamps). The "brain" will wear 21 (Pirlo, Zidane).

- 31+ are for young or transfer-listed players. 32 is (usually) for the young striker.

I also don't change any numbers in the first season at a new club and any player originally at the club when I joined gets to keep that number until they leave. If a player has a favourite number, I generally let them have it but that sometimes depends on how good a player they are, for example if my star man wants 30 he can have it but if my backup striker wants 9 then he has no chance.

Generally over time I will change the numbers of all players to the following:

1: GK

4: DMC

5: CB

6: CB

7: RW

8: AMC

9: ST (Star striker)

10: ST

11: LW

Only other notables are 13 and 21 for my number two and three keepers. Other than that for my reserves I place no importance on their numbers and just blindly go down the list pressing the right mouse button.

Looks like I'm the only one who can't stand his goalkeepers having any other numbers than 1, 12 and 23. Seeing a player wearing 23 or especially 12 makes me cringe, feels like the whole universe is out of balance because of that. I give the defenders numbers from 2 to 5, 6, strikers get the 9,10,11, a great winger, midfielder gets the number 7. But that's pretty much it, don't really care that much about others numbers, just 1, 12, 23 have to be on goalkeepers backs.

1 - Starting GK

2 - Right Back

3 - Left Back

4 - Ball-Playing Centre Back (Ramos)

5 - Centre Back

6 - Deep-Lying Playmaker (Xavi)

7 - Star Winger (Ronaldo)

8 - Advanced Playmaker (Iniesta)

9 - Main Goal Scorer (Falcao)

10 - The Star (Messi)

11 - Winger

I'm not too big on numbers but I do try and keep them as realistic as possible, usually as follows:

1/13/31 = 'keepers

2/3 = fullbacks

4 = holding mid

5/6 = first choice centre halves

7/11 = wingers

9/10 = first choice attackers

I usually try and keep 12 free too as one of those "tribute to the fans" things. If a player has a favoured shirt number he gets it; if it's taken, he gets a variation (ie 44 instead of 4, 32 instead of 23 etc)

I have a few other habits influence by real life:

- I'll usually give 10 to a favourite player or promising newgen, as it's my lucky number

- I give 19 to a young/third striker, as I was a big Dwight Yorke fan growing up

- I'll often give a feisty midfielder 16 as a homage to Roy Keane

I support Forest Green in real life.

I'm a Pompey fan and like the club I avoid using 12 and 13 (although the club has started using it again recently).

Then it is:

1 - GK

2 - DR

3 - DL

4 - DM

5 - DC

6 - DC

7 - MR

8 - DM

9 - ST

10 - AMC

11 - ML

23 - my favourite player, although I retired it in my current game.

If they have a favourite number, they get it.

At the start of the season, everyone in the squad gets a number- first team, reserves and youth players.

Players with high numbers from the previous season who have become first-teamers get new, lower numbers to reflect that.

Numbers aren't used by two different players in a season- if someone leaves the club, the shirt remains vacant until the end of the season.

Otherwise:

1: First-choice GK

2: Right Back

3: Left Back

4: Defensive Midfielder

5: Right Winger

6: Centre Back

7: Attacking Midfielder

8: Central Midfielder

9: Target Man Striker

10: Pacy Striker

11: Left Winger

12: Young GK

13: Second-choice GK

Then it just goes in order- First Team Squad Players (Defenders, then Midfielders, then Attackers), Reserve Team Players (Defenders, Midfielders, Attackers), then Youth Team Players (D, M, A).

Signings throughout the season are tacked onto the end.

Loan signings get squad numbers starting at 50.

Keepers: 1/12/22/32

Right Backs: 2/15

Left Backs: 6/16

Centre Backs: 4/13/14/23

Defensive Midfielders: 5/8/21/26

Attacking Midfielders: 9/10/17/18/20

Wingers: 7/11/19/27

Strikers: 3/28/29/39/99

I'm guessing those are Brazilian influenced. Definitely not British traits. :lol:

I usually like to keep players with their real life numbers(No point rocking the boat) lol:lol:, I love the numbers shirt 7 and 10. Those numbers are for special players at my team. I support Arsenal so number 14 is also important at the club.

Personally, the 7, 9 and 10 shirt numbers are the most "coveted" in my mind. If I was playing in a regular 11s team, I'd be aiming to take one of those, probably 10. But in FM, everyone gets whatever they're given, whichever way the auto press falls. In my yearly "let's-play-this-game-properly" stage that lasts about a week, I'll probably use FM15 to do numbers properly, but that may just end in me giving a top striker number 1 or something.

Come to think of it, is there any rule in any league whereby a keeper has to be registered with the number 1 shirt?

EDIT: It's now mandatory in the World Cup apparently...

1: Starting GK

2: Gary Neville

3: Denis Irwin

4: Steve Bruce

5: Rio Ferdinand

6: Pally/Wes Brown

7: Iconic

8: Nicky Butt

9: Andy Cole

10: Wayne Rooney

11: Ryan Giggs

12: Utility defender (Phil Neville)

13: Park Ji-Sung

14: Pacey attacker

15: Nemanja Vidic

16: Michael Carrick

17: Tricky winger

18: Paul Scholes

19: Young striker (Welbeck)

20: Reserved for exceptional regens (attacking)

21-23: Young defenders

24: Darren Fletcher

25: Antonio Valencia (strong fullback/side midfielder)

30: Reserved for exceptional regens (attacking)

33: Reserved for exceptional regens (striker)

31-39: First gen regens

40-49: Second gen regens

I try to maintain the United traditions.

:O No squad number for William Prunier?! Or Taibi!!

1. GK

2. DR

3. DL

4. DM

5. DC

6. DC

7. AMR

8. MC

9. ST

10. AMC

11. AML

12. DR

13. AMC

14. ST

15. MC

16. MC

17. ST (My favourite striker)

18. DC

19. ST

20. DC

21. AMC

22. GK

23. AMC

24. DL

25. MC

26. MC

27. AMR/L

28. DC

29. AMR/L

30. ST

31. GK

32. ST

33. DL

34. GK

35. Youth

36. DR

37. ST

38. Youth

39. DC

40. Youth

41. GK

42. Youth star MC/AMC

43. Youth

44. DM

1: GK

4/5: CBs

6: CB/DM

7: Best midfielder/forward at the club

8: CM

9: Strong attacker / Target man

10: Poacher / "Number 10"

11: Left-mid

12/13: Backup GK / Utility players

14/24: Right-footed solid midfielder

16/26: DM

17/19: Tricky winger

18: Paul Scholes-type player

20: Backup poacher

27: Backup LB

99: Jamal Blackman/Player out of their depth who I've bought anyway

Those are the numbers I assign regularly. They have their roots in Man Utd numbering. I tend to move towards prime numbers for tricky players, even numbers for solid defensive players, and odd numbers for left-sided players.

Archived