Football Manager 2024 Official Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, andu1 said:

Another one with how flawed the 4-4-2 is in this iteration. Sorry, but no team defends like that in the 58 minute  ( RED TEAM )... IF it was 90 minute and they needed an equalizer yes... but no sane team leaves 2 strikers standing on the same line in attack doing absolutely nothing....

image.thumb.png.7004ac283a873c2f56e2765db41c8adc.png

I dunno about that. If you were an extreme underdog or had strong counter attacking principles leaving 2 v 2 up top seems reasonably when the ball close to your own goal. Any quick change of possession and you've set yourself up for a potent counter. Really jus tthink it depends on how much defensive risk you're willing to take. It could be very beneficial to leave a DM alone if he's a poor passer or lacks flair. You'll probably spend a long time without the ball but its not the craziest thing ever.

I'd be more concerned that my CB's aren't closer to the striker shooting especially when I have a numerical advantage in that strata.

Edited by wazzaflow10

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

I dunno about that. If you were an extreme underdog or had strong counter attacking principles leaving 2 v 2 up top seems reasonably when the ball close to your own goal. Any quick change of possession and you've set yourself up for a potent counter. Really jus tthink it depends on how much defensive risk you're willing to take. It could be very beneficial to leave him alone if he's a poor passer or lacks flair. You'll probably spend a long time without the ball but its not the craziest thing ever.

I'd be more concerned that my CB's aren't closer to the striker shooting especially when I have a numerical advantage in that strata.

The AI was using an advanced forward and a trequartista against. They were heavy underdogs against me,. A top 10 european coefficient side that won against Arsenal and lost to Liverpool on Ucl quarterfinals...theres no way any team would play so open against me... ended up winning  3-0 but could have been easily 6

3 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

And lastly, the Match Engine is receiving tweaks to Goalkeepers, and particularly their injury frequency. 

Match Engine  

• Reduced frequency of injuries to goalkeepers  

Great to have an update, but the first line suggests changes to Goalkeepers other than injury frequency but then says just that bullet point?

Could we have some clarity if any other changes are being made as part of that update to Goalkeepers and if so what they are? (Hopefully being made better) :D

Think at the bottom they have further ME updates. Probably hard to classify what exactly they're changing at the moment which is why it hasn't been released yet. Could be anything from better marking to turning strikers down to substitution and rotation so teams aren't knackered by halftime imo. I'd think nerfing or boosting attributes would be a last resort solution to cover up a flaw they can't reasonably fix.

The injury bug must have been a simpler fix i.e. some legacy code got left in or a value was turned down.

1 minute ago, andu1 said:

The AI was using an advanced forward and a trequartista against. They were heavy underdogs against me,. A top 10 european coefficient side that won against Arsenal and lost to Liverpool on Ucl quarterfinals...theres no way any team would play so open against me... ended up winning  3-0 but could have been easily 6

Yeah I mean that's the Treq's role though. He's not really looking to mark and it sounds like the AI decided to try and hit you on the counter. If it's that lopsided they probably have a choice of do we park the bus or go for route one. Are they typically a side that plays that as a counter attacking team?

Either way the counter is definitely on if you lose possession given how high you're pushing. But I think we're back to teams pushing this high should really result in being threatened/punished more than they are if they're not fit or technically skilled enough to commit 9 men forward.

It's still nice to see attacking play use the open space that would exist in a 4-4-2 but maybe its too much?

9 minutes ago, wazzaflow10 said:

Think at the bottom they have further ME updates. Probably hard to classify what exactly they're changing at the moment which is why it hasn't been released yet. Could be anything from better marking to turning strikers down to substitution and rotation so teams aren't knackered by halftime imo. I'd think nerfing or boosting attributes would be a last resort solution to cover up a flaw they can't reasonably fix.

The injury bug must have been a simpler fix i.e. some legacy code got left in or a value was turned down.

Yeah. Both the text and the list however are in reference to the upcoming update next week though.

Within the first of our minor updates, we’ve made changes to various areas across the game.  

Maybe the changelist when it's out will be expanded to let us know the other work they've done on Goalkeepers in the ME away from injuries.

be a minor update fix next week but will have to wait for dec usual update for a major update! thats imo at least weve had a bit of communication on it so we kind of no what to expect personally im very dissapointed to be promised this best in the series most polished fm ever,which if it wastnt for that advertisment my expectations would of been lower with us moving on to the new graphics engine of fm25 next year.but if this can be as close to this most polished fm by dec update i will be happy now il continue with very buggy pre game editor  

9 minutes ago, Domoboy23 said:

Yeah. Both the text and the list however are in reference to the upcoming update next week though.

Within the first of our minor updates, we’ve made changes to various areas across the game.  

Maybe the changelist when it's out will be expanded to let us know the other work they've done on Goalkeepers in the ME away from injuries.

Yeah that's typically their M.O. to provide specifics for bugfixes in the patches. Everything else is probably thrown under "Other minor tweaks". Just saying GK might be doing perfectly fine and its something else that requires improvement. I haven't seen bad GK behavior other than your tests showing too many goals in various leagues. Visually though GK seem to be okay.

is anyone finding player interactions/power a pain this yr- specifically how frequently upset the team gets. 

in Jan 1st season, meeting all targets (pt of top), no issues,  have Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, maguire, evans but not enough for 12 players.. my mate had the same in jan too, except complaining about gk depth; he had the existing 4 keepers from the start again meeting targets.

I dont like promises so selected "convince" "i dont think we need it all.." only for all initially expressionless bar rashford who goes from leading the chat to being the only happy one.

now the entire squad morale is shot

image.thumb.png.ae5c047e0ba579caed7d0ff607912f09.png

image.thumb.png.4bedaff330b3e2c91966b05d4d18bb5b.png

image.thumb.png.6f14d2f4fe4fc529ed741fe357e9a2a5.png

2 hours ago, Kyle Brown said:

Thank you for all of your feedback in this thread so far. Please find an update from Studio Director Miles Jacobson here: 

I guess this means any database updates will mean a new save start?

Or can they be sorted by dbc or other file types to prevent this or maybe its unknown atm. Would be good to know if possible

Edited by wazza

3 hours ago, Kyle Brown said:

Thank you for all of your feedback in this thread so far. Please find an update from Studio Director Miles Jacobson here: 

Better late than never, but appreciated nonetheless. Any clarification on these? Minor update:

Updated database to reflect real world key events  

and then coming soon update:

Data updates 

Shame it won't be J League, but be good to know what data is being looked at as needing some changes

I absolutely love the new post about transparency and future updates. Now I know how to plan my save, I can easily wait for the first minor update till early next week and then start playing. Thanks SI!

1 hour ago, craiigman said:

Better late than never, but appreciated nonetheless. Any clarification on these? Minor update:

and then coming soon update:

Shame it won't be J League, but be good to know what data is being looked at as needing some changes

The updated database will likely just be adding a ban to Tonali.

Great transparency from SI, it shows that they respect the fan's efforts and dedication to the series.

This will encourage people to report more issues and hopefully together we can get to the best version possible of our beloved game.

SI admitting these issues is also a good thing because some people keep dismissing any negative feedback, insult the intelligence of users trying to ask simple questions and ridicule their concerns as a non-issue, I'm sure the mods will clean up this forum from these characters because it has deterred a lot of us from posting.

As for feedback, I think the general logic in the game needs to be fixed once and for all, 4 or 5 years of the same silly logical problems is enough

for example before a cup match with a 0 foreigners allowed rule, the press ask why a foreign player isn't in the starting lineup

More examples on the player interaction are well documented in this thread

And I hope the match engine doesn't get ruined by future patches .

Thanks SI and all the best 

5 hours ago, greenz81 said:

"Before we give you that information though, I also need to explain that the days of us being able to release updates a few hours after we’ve merged the last bit of code are long gone. Many of the platforms that we are on have “submission processes” where the platform tests what they have been sent before allowing it on their platform – something that is much better for the consumer in the bigger picture of things." - Miles Jacobson

So do i understand this correctly? Are patches for the PC being delayed until they are available for all platforms? Would just like clarity on that please.

This was my thinking too . I can understand why with cross playing but surely PC is the most popular and deserves more attention 

What's the story with Dynamic Income streams, reading a thread on Reddit and people are adamant it's something else that either isn't working or point blank doesn't exist.....

In my beta I've seen no change over two seasons in the Danish top tier but I assumed it was tied to the duration of the current TV deal and would potentially change when that expired. Was I wrong to assume this? What are your experiences so far? 

Edited by janrzm

45 minutes ago, janrzm said:

Let's be honest, 1,950.0000 of those people either haven't noticed any of the glaring flaws in the game or just don't care.....that's half the problem.

The issue with this is a lot of the problems aren't apparent unless you make a vast spreadsheet of data and compare it to other vast spreadsheets of data.

A lot of "problems" also don't appear for people like I haven't had any problems with goalkeeper injuries, I've had 2 in 4 seasons.

I also haven't seen a huge amount of goals in 3 of my 4 seasons.

Other things are pretty apparent though like player interactions being the worst they've ever been.

9 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

The issue with this is a lot of the problems aren't apparent unless you make a vast spreadsheet of data and compare it to other vast spreadsheets of data.

A lot of "problems" also don't appear for people like I haven't had any problems with goalkeeper injuries, I've had 2 in 4 seasons.

Other things are pretty apparent though like player interactions being the worst they've ever been.

I think, though, that SI would be better than we are at compiling vast spreadsheets of data through soak tests. 

1 minute ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Same here with GK injuries, I've just not seen it, and injuries in generally have been realistic in my two seasons. Similarly with goals there hasn't been anything that's made me stop and think somethings not right. 

But, you can't ignore interactions and whilst you can navigate through with the occasional help of saving before it's glaring obvious they are nonsensical, illogical and more broken than they've ever been. 2,000,000 people playing but who's really playing and who's just pottering along like me until the fixes arrive? 

The game is very good, of course it has some very annoying problems that could have been resolved in the beta version for the full version.

- The AI does not make a considerable number of substitutions in the game (sometimes no player substitutions are made - totally unrealistic)

- Goalkeepers throw balls and the variation of the ball is completely unrealistic (they punch the ball forward and the ball goes to the right or left side)

- Goalkeepers often fall before the opposing player kicks the ball, it seems like they are trying to guess and giving the opponent a chance to shoot (seemingly unintentionally) over them, in a move with the game going on

- I see deflected goals that are considered own goals (in real life it is given to the player who kicked the ball)

- Penalties are always converted, I believe that in world football there are many penalties missed by players, this could be moderated

- Players ask for contract renewal when they have a contract in force, or complain about situations that are not realistic

- The brightness of the ME is very bright and disproportionate to the weather and time of the game

- I still see goals from rebounds from set pieces (the shot is made and hits the crossbar and the attacker scores, there should be more goals from set pieces)

- The AI leaves players selected even if they are injured

- Something that sometimes happens, I think is poorly represented in the game (expulsion in the first half) could be better balanced

- Players' enthusiasm for goals could be more effusive

- I see that practically all the machine's goals are confirmed by var, and we humans don't

At the same time, I'm enjoying the ball disputes, the players' movement with lots of dribbling, different shots, different goals. The game is much more dynamic and responsive, congratulations to Sigames for the processing, the game is very fast as the days go by, I don't think there are many goals (I prefer games with goals and I actually see many games with high scores), injuries are an old FM problem but can be managed with training. I think intermediaries are really good, I'm excited to see the improvement of AI in hiring management. I loved the dead ball training. I found the game to be balanced in terms of difficulty and also consistent with the quality of the teams and the attributes of the players.

I hope that hot fixes and patches come out soon, adjust the editor which is very slow to open, that the translation is better adjusted and mainly my big disappointment was the Japanese license, the lack of well-known players in that country made me very sad, but I'm hoping for a better fit with update. Finally, I didn't see much improvement or addition in the finance options that was promised, everything is the same and I didn't find anything new in interaction with the media, this could be improved. Furthermore, this FM is the best and best formulated, I am very confident and excited about the game.

12 hours ago, Kyle Brown said:

This is brilliant 👏🏻 Fair play to Miles and the team recognising that communication is just as important post-live as it is in the run up to the launch, especially when the product doesn’t really match the “most complete edition to date” marketing.

That’s what players want, clear visibility and ownership. Mistakes should be absolutely fine, it’s owning them and looking for improvement that’s key and a timeline allows us to understand that the feedback doesn’t go unnoticed and which bugs will be fixed and when, so we can decide when it’s worth coming back to start that long term save.

Has anyone figured out a "grind results out 1-0" tactic?

Joined a side in November as they sat bottom of the table and tried but it seems fairly pointless as you just cant keep clean sheets regularly. Switch to a gegenpress side, even though ive the worst side in the league with zero confidence, and suddenly sailing to victories.

It would cause some outrage but i really do think the attribute range needs either stretched or more of it used. Scottish Premiership players seem far too good in general and i feel the same for most UK leagues. 

26 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Joined a side in November as they sat bottom of the table and tried but it seems fairly pointless as you just cant keep clean sheets regularly. Switch to a gegenpress side, even though ive the worst side in the league with zero confidence, and suddenly sailing to victories.

It would cause some outrage but i really do think the attribute range needs either stretched or more of it used. Scottish Premiership players seem far too good in general and i feel the same for most UK leagues. 

The best sides at grinding out 1-0 wins tend to be really good teams. 

Teams at the bottom more often than not get beat attempting to do this, because they just aren't good enough to defend for 90 minutes against sides who have better players than them.

Me and my Dad often talk about this when our team is in the Championship IRL. We basically setup in the hope we can pull a miracle off every week.

More often than not we don't.

47 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

This was what stopped me playing the game. You take over a team in trouble, nothing seems to work then gegenpressing has you win 7 in 8.

12 hours ago, Pasonen said:

My first refund. Too bad.. Maybe trying my luck again after some real patch.

edit! 2.9 Hours too much playtime.. :'/ Didn't get my money back.

So almost 5h?

You can still ask, just not the automatic one. Write down why, what is missing etc. Steam will give you refund even if you have played longer amount of  h. Just need to explain why

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

36 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Teams at the bottom more often than not get beat attempting to do this, because they just aren't good enough to defend for 90 minutes against sides who have better players than them.

Me and my Dad often talk about this when our team is in the Championship IRL. We basically setup in the hope we can pull a miracle off every week.

18 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

This was what stopped me playing the game. You take over a team in trouble, nothing seems to work then gegenpressing has you win 7 in 8.

It’s certainly doable (and pretty much always has been).  I just took relegation tipped Plymouth Argyle into the Prem via the Playoffs using a 4141 formation with a Balanced mentality, low block and no additional pressing.  We average something like 35% possession.  Sure we got clobbered a couple of times but defence is pretty solid.

Think about the formation you use (something deep such as a 4141) in combination with tactical settings which don’t over do the defensive side of things.  If you set up too deep with lots of settings to exaggerate an overly passive defence you’ll invite too much pressure and fail.  In my experience that’s where people tend to go wrong - they set up too passively by over use of defensive tactical settings.

53 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

Im not trying to be overly defensive, just trying to make a compact solid shape.

Feels a lot harder to get right (im aware its probably my own limitations preventing me managing it) than just doing some high pressing aggressive football that seems to work constantly.

6 hours ago, dpt8544 said:

It is actually outrageous how broken the Argentinian league is. And in Miles' statement there is still no clear indication of when this will be fixed. Basically, in Argentina, there are actually two main competitions. First, there is the league, which is 28 teams playing each other once (27 games). The team that ends top of the table wins the League. Then, there is the League Cup (which is much more significant than the league cup in other countries). In the League Cup, teams play 14 games in a group stage (2 groups), and then the the top 4 from each group play in a knockout competition, where the team that wins the final wins the League Cup. Importantly, the places for continental competition in Argentina are actually decided by an aggregate table, which combines the results of the regular League, and the group stage of the League Cup. Currently, this is actually working fine. However, the problem is with how the game is awarding the titles for the competitions. Basically, at the moment, instead of correctly awarding the titles for the 2 competitions (League and League Cup), the game is just taking the team that ends top of the aggregate table and awards the league title to that team, which is completely incorrect. And as for the League Cup, the title just straight up doesn't get awarded to anybody. Basically, even though you will play all of the matches of the League Cup, if you win the final you don't actually win any trophy! It is so unbelievable how broken this is. The entire purpose of this game is to try and win trophies, and yet the trophies are not being awarded correctly. Imagine if this was a more popular league, like the Premier League. Imagine if there was a bug that at the end of each season, the team that finished 2nd were awarded the title. That is the level of broken we are talking. Do you think we would be waiting weeks for a fix if that bug existed? It is once again, in my opinion, an example of the ridiculous UK and European bias that SI has. They have no respect for anyone who might dare to want to play in a league slightly off the beaten path. Not everyone wants to play in England you know.

Great post so thank you for this. 
I am managing in Colombia and I think it may have this type of issue too . I’ve googled how the league structure works and I am still not sure . It looks like the league is in two stages, but there is also an aggregate table. 
I am trying not to let it spoil my enjoyment 😀

On 08/11/2023 at 18:54, Woodg SI said:

There are a couple of Brazilian players with this name so it's possible there's a newgen with this name as it will pick from the name pool. To avoid any offence we can stop this happening to newgens in a future update

Don't fix it sounds hilarious or you could have a snowflake level for those easily offended.

14 hours ago, Kyle Brown said:

Personally speaking, this is just all I needed to see from Miles and the team really. 

You owned it, apologised and are working hard to fix things.

It’s perfectly understandable if there are bugs within a new game and I bet most of us appreciate all the hard work behind closed doors. But this right here is the sort of communication I was hoping to see 👍🏻

Cheers team!

Seriously, that statement from Miles made no mention of fixing the Argentinian league, it has made me very worried. Do SI not realise how urgent a fix for this is? The league is unplayable. Can someone at SI please confirm that this is being addressed urgently?

8 minutes ago, dpt8544 said:

Seriously, that statement from Miles made no mention of fixing the Argentinian league, it has made me very worried. Do SI not realise how urgent a fix for this is? The league is unplayable. Can someone at SI please confirm that this is being addressed urgently?

Have you logged it in the bugs forum, you’ll most likely get an official SI response in there?

Just now, Slates84 said:

Have you logged it in the bugs forum, you’ll most likely get an official SI response in there?

Oh believe me I've logged it. I logged it during 'early access' and when I discovered to my shock that it wasn't fixed for the 'full release' I made sure to log it again, with a somewhat more critical tone. Yes I've had a response, but a very generic, "we'll fix it in the future". The reason this doesn't satisfy me is because this isn't some ordinary bug, it's completely game-breaking if you play in Argentina. It's game-breaking to a level that not even any of the other significant issues that are being discussed on here are. No response I've had from SI have given me the impression that they truly understood just how bad this issue is. This is not an ordinary mistake - this is something that should be making them panic that they've got wrong. Frankly, they should be releasing a formal apology for it, it's that bad. If this issue existed in a popular league like the Premier League, I have no doubt they would be doing just that. But they won't, because it's Argentina, and no-one actually wants to play in that league, right? And the fact it hasn't been explicitly mentioned by Miles is adding to my displeasure.

Just now, dpt8544 said:

Oh believe me I've logged it. I logged it during 'early access' and when I discovered to my shock that it wasn't fixed for the 'full release' I made sure to log it again, with a somewhat more critical tone. Yes I've had a response, but a very generic, "we'll fix it in the future". The reason this doesn't satisfy me is because this isn't some ordinary bug, it's completely game-breaking if you play in Argentina. It's game-breaking to a level that not even any of the other significant issues that are being discussed on here are. No response I've had from SI have given me the impression that they truly understood just how bad this issue is. This is not an ordinary mistake - this is something that should be making them panic that they've got wrong. Frankly, they should be releasing a formal apology for it, it's that bad. If this issue existed in a popular league like the Premier League, I have no doubt they would be doing just that. But they won't, because it's Argentina, and no-one actually wants to play in that league, right? And the fact it hasn't been explicitly mentioned by Miles is adding to my displeasure.

Yeah I just had a look in the bugs forum, their non urgent response to the issue was quite alarming considering how wrong it currently is!!

15 minutes ago, dpt8544 said:

By your own admission everything is working, incl cup qualification, you just dont get a cut screen showing you lift a pretend trophy or an increased number on a screen. This isn't 'unplayable', you just have to use your imagination and memory a little bit until it's fixed. Your post in the bug tracker has been acknowledged so it'll be on the list of things SI are working on. 

I don't recall any other complaints on the matter being made by other players, and if the Argentinian league isn't a particularly popular one used by players than naturally it'll be a lower priority fix than other issues.