Final: Argentina vs France, 3PM GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

Darius1998

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

One thing that has irked me is that I don't recall so much nationalism being present at a World Cup before. Serbia's Kosovo poster, Argentina singing about the Falklands, Saudi Arabia having a national holiday for beating Argentina, etc. Whoever won is going to politicise it to hell and back. But that's the time we live in.

"we started a war, took a few thousand dead and injured and lost la la la" will never catch on.

actually a search led me to 

• FIFA’s World Cup Fair Play trophy goes to the team with the best record of fair play within a single tournament.
  • Only the teams who make it to the knockout stage are considered for the trophy.
  • The winner gets the trophy and a diploma.
  • The players of the winning country share the spoils as they receive a special medal as well.

Edited by buffalo

1 minute ago, oche balboa said:

So Argentina appoint a coach who never managed/coached a senior team and he wins the Copa America, Finalissima & The World Cup

Amazing job really 

Tell this to the clowns who thing club management has much to do with international management

Watching England at the World Cup was truly enjoyable as the players’ conduct on the pitch was exemplary throughout the tournament. Gareth Southgate’s team received only one booking in the five World Cup games. It was in the last game versus France in which Harry Maguire received was booked for a mild challenge.

https://estnn.com/gambling/soccer-world-cup-fair-play-trophy-winner/

apparently interviews like that don't count lol

Just now, Haguey said:

Tell this to the clowns who thing club management has much to do with international management

The thing is that within just a few games the player selection and tactics were noticably better when he took over.

Then they just kept growing over a couple of years up until now.

You can absolutely get a new coach with no experience, but his tactical improvements have to be noticable.

He would've been gone if Argentina played badly.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He was the team's leading scorer in qualifiers and second after Messi for the Copa win.

Just one of those low-confidence spells for a striker.

Tbh, given his world cup, I'm amazed and impressed he had the balls to take the pen vs Netherlands and to score it. A bad world cup, but if he misses that who knows what happens so he deserves at least a little smidge of credit for that.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

The thing is that within just a few games the player selection and tactics were noticably better when he took over.

Then they just kept growing over a couple of years up until now.

You can absolutely get a new coach with no experience, but his tactical improvements have to be noticable.

He would've been gone if Argentina played badly.

Will Messi still be part of the team though? Or should he retire from international football now, having reached the pinnacle at last?

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Tbh, given his world cup, I'm amazed and impressed he had the balls to take the pen vs Netherlands and to score it. A bad world cup, but if he misses that who knows what happens so he deserves at least a little smidge of credit for that.

He was definitely the last taker today, too.

Reports said he played with ankle injections all tournament long.

Anyhow, it's just one of those striker things, he scores two from one marginal and one ridiculously close offside, both disallowed.

Then against Poland he is completely cut-off since they're defending in their box, Alvarez scores with his first shot and the rest is history.

He had to do way better against Australia and today, but as we've seen, football is a really strange game.

1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

Will Messi still be part of the team though? Or should he retire from international football now, having reached the pinnacle at last?

He's most definitely done.

If I was him, I'd retire alltogether, no point in getting battered by Bayern in February. :lol:

Edited by GunmaN1905

17 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Messi the greatest of all time.

The greatest final of all time

One of the greatest world cups of all time

I pity people who boycotted it. 

I actually respect people who stuck to their word and boycotted it to be quite honest with you.

I said at the time I would try to boycott it outside of Wales games, but couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't.

As it got closer to the end, I chose to segment the two different sides of things and tried to enjoy the football without engaging in anything else.

Others chose not to do that and hold dear to their principles. Those that could still choose to boycott it deserve respect, not pity.

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He was definitely the last taker today, too.

Reports said he played with ankle injections all tournament long.

Anyhow, it's just one of those striker things, he scores two from one marginal and one ridiculously close offside, both disallowed.

Then against Poland he is completely cut-off since they're defending in their box, Alvarez scores with his first shot and the rest is history.

He had to do way better against Australia and today, but as we've seen, football is a really strange game.

He's most definitely done.

If I was him, I'd retire alltogether, no point in getting battered by Bayern in February. :lol:

If he retires from international duty he'll probably have a big send-off game in Buenos Aires during 2023 and retire to Miami afterwards. Give Scaloni the next 3 and a half years to tweak the system for the new players coming through.

What a game! Felt exhausted watching it. Up until 70 minutes it seemed fairly dull and that France had been badly hit by the virus and then somewhere, from nothing, they managed to get right back into it and could've/should've won it at the death. Gutting for Mbappe...to score a hattrick and still lose is mad.

Also what a call by Scaloni to start Di Maria, feel he had a much bigger impact on the game than Messi to be honest.

1 minute ago, Rebs said:

Hilarious if anyone didn’t watch this tournament due to political reasons. Same folks will go out and use many multinational companies in the morning who are all as corrupt as the worst governments on the planet ffs. 

Yeah, I can only respect people who boycott top level football alltogether.

Watching WC in Qatar is no different to watching PSG or City. Or any other club owned by shad billionaires.

43 minutes ago, oche balboa said:

Messi the greatest of all time.

The greatest final of all time

One of the greatest world cups of all time

I pity people who boycotted it. 

I quite happily boycotted the whole thing. I pity those of you who couldn't comprehend why people would boycott and watched the tournament without any qualms at all. (The rest of you are alright)

10 minutes ago, Rebs said:

Hilarious if anyone didn’t watch this tournament due to political reasons. Same folks will go out and use many multinational companies in the morning who are all as corrupt as the worst governments on the planet ffs. 

But good to know some people are *****. Maybe we should boycott those companies as well? Instead of acting like children one-upping anyone on the playground. But then we all know you'd be cheering on those governments and multinational companies along with Oche.

:Bowen:

What a final. What a tournament. What legends..

This Mbappe guy should really have left France and gone to one of the bigger leagues when he had the chance. Very bad decision on his part and I equate it slightly ahead of Neymar leaving FCBarcelona to go to PSG as one of the worse transfers/decisions of recent years. He's just shackled himself professionally over there in the French capital.

Also, watch out for this France team when these youngsters all mature a bit more.. Once it went to penalties, I had an inkling Argentina would win because they had more experienced players but this French team, when/if it comes of age, would be fantastic to watch.

I'm happy for Messi. Watched him when he came up and to finally see this happen, I'd quote Rowling "All is finally well in the world".

I hope the success of this tournament doesn't make people forget the atrocities that Qatar pioneer and perpetuate.

And finally, I second those saying that the World Cup should be played in the middle of the season. It makes for a better show having fit players.