NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

That was Seaman well past this best at that point. Genuinely incredible keeper at his hair best. And was actually not remotely error prone. 

Yeah, I never thought he was 38 until now. Always though he was in his mid 30s or something.

Looking at that goal again, wasn't even such a huge mistake, just a brilliant free kick. He had to do better, but most keepers would be beaten there.

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He deserved a better send of for England. He conceeded from a corner against Macedonia in 04 qualifying and never played again. Was sad. He always came across a proper nice bloke too. Find an interview with him where he doesn't laugh and chuckle. Seaman does a podcast and that Football Cliches podcast counted it up and worked out he laughed/chuckled on average like every 22 seconds or something on his show :D

Seaman missed the final group game at Euro 2000 which people always forget. Had to play Nigel Martyn in the 3-2 vs Romania. Who was a reasonably solid backup by and large, but at fault for one if not two goals in that game and failed to save a pen. If Seaman had been fit, who knows...

Euro 2000 was a weird one. We didn't play that bad at times. Just remove one of the meltdowns against Portgual or Romania and we'd have been fine :D I quite liked our team then too. But it was peak 'we have no left back or left winger". McManaman was great around then and his injury damaged us too

The one that surprises me is the fact that Dan Burn missed out. He's been an absolute rock for 2-3 years for Brighton and then Newcastle, can play left-back or left of a 3 at the back.

Personally, I'd have taken him in the squad ahead of Gallagher or Dier.

The defensive side of our squad is a "**** the bed" moment away from disaster.

4 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Think Seaman was like 38 at that WC and way past his peak. 

Personally I quite liked David James and think he should have started more. He had mistakes in him though (France 04 wasn't great) But he had that big personality you need from a keeper in international tournments. Hindsight is lovely but Capello really should have gone with him over Green 2010

I don't think Capello rated James very highly!

Few words were spent on dropping Green, certainly: Capello told him he was out and the conversation ended there. “You can’t say anything. Everyone makes mistakes. He made one, so I changed. I put in Calamity James.”

Yes, that is how he refers to David James – without missing a beat.

“I had Green and I had [Joe] Hart, just a kid. I asked the players. Hart or Calamity? ‘Calamity.’ I put Calamity in because of the players’ trust. John Terry and the defenders had more faith in James. Hart had played only once.”

Gallagher seemed pretty random but if he’s in there ahead of Ward Prowse as the Elneny press like a mad bastard for 30 minutes when you want to hang onto a lead sub then I guess that makes sense. 

I think Tomori should have gone over Dier and I’d have taken Toney over Wilson but I guess it’s unlikely Dier or Wilson see serious minutes anyway. 

I don’t see how Phillips starts every game but with 26 man squad makes sense to take him I guess as he should be going if he’s fit. 

4 hours ago, oche balboa said:

Phillips has only played 61 minutes of Football for Manchester City. Surely he will not be taking much part in this 

Probably ease him in over the groups so he’s more ready for the tougher teams 

1 hour ago, Rob1981 said:

Love people overthinking the squad numbers every time :D

Doesn't mean anything really.  Like Henderson has gone in at 8 and Grealish at 7, not much chance of either of them starting.

Just usually first dibs on preference. Like Mount/Foden are same as their club sides and probably starters :D 

Love that photo. Ties off lads, choose your own collar. Not to go all 2021 again, but Southgate has done such a job building all the club culture stuff. Players look like they can’t wait to get out there. Southgate looks like the cool teacher hanging out with all the sixth form at the end of year bash. The whole lot of them look like they are having the time of their lives.

Go back and compare it to Capello’s photo from 2010 if you dare. Ties done up to eleven, force a smile. Everyone **** scared of getting on the wrong side of him, then the group dispersing and the Man Utd and Chelsea boys sitting on opposite sides of the plane.

Edited by Rob1981

29 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Love that photo. Ties off lads, choose your own collar. Not to go all 2021 again, but Southgate has done such a job building all the club culture stuff. Players look like they can’t wait to get out there. Southgate looks like the cool teacher hanging out with all the sixth form at the end of year bash. The whole lot of them look like they are having the time of their lives.

Go back and compare it to Capello’s photo from 2010 if you dare. Ties done up to eleven, force a smile. Everyone **** scared of getting on the wrong side of him, then the group dispersing and the Man Utd and Chelsea boys sitting on opposite sides of the plane.

NO KETCHUP!

When the story broke I was told that it was before his time with us which is clearly not the case so I've no idea any more. To do it that much and that often though as a professional is nothing short of stupid and I have no sympathy as everyone involved in the game knows the rules. Just don't do it ffs. 

On 15/11/2022 at 14:50, Haguey said:

Why did Seaman pack it in mid season?

Back injury/pains iirc. He was awful though, especially compared to the goalkeeper before (an ancient Schmeichel) and after (David James). Genuinely could have gone down with him in net, he was Bravo levels of bad.

Edit: was actually a shouder injury not back

Edited by Bootador

10 hours ago, Haguey said:

Sven not bothering at the end and losing his last match 8-1 :*) 

We just needed to stay away from Yellow cards and we would qualify for Europe for the first time in decades through the Fair Play League, then Richard Dunne decided to get sent off after 15 mins and Sven said nope everyone stop tackling :D