NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Wilson probably gave his chances a massive boost with the unselfish set up of Grealish against Iran, when he could easily have shot himself. Even though Kane didn't score, he has a goal threat which the opposition are forced to counter. I don't think Foden offers the same, Wilson does.

52 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Say Kane is out. Who replaces? Wilson like for like. Rashford has played down middle for England and has more international experience. Or maybe a wild card and play Foden through middle. Does Gareth have a false 9 in him

Stick Rashford through the middle I reckon. Gareth with go with the previous England experience. Same reason he brought Dier on at CB the other day and not Coady or Ben White.

I think it will be fine with Kane (based on Southgate's initial response) and this is entirely precautionary to just check there isn't anything which could be made worse. Hope that's the case and it's just reporters trying to make a bigger story of it.

Edited by ginnybob

2 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Say Kane is out. Who replaces? Wilson like for like. Rashford has played down middle for England and has more international experience. Or maybe a wild card and play Foden through middle. Does Gareth have a false 9 in him

Wilson pretty injury prone, really surprising we didn't take 3 frontline strikers!

Wilson will be fine to replace. Then come Wales game, shouldn’t need to play again and could be Rashford (or vice versa). Then L16, we should comfortably beat whoever comes 2nd out of Qatar/Ecuador/Senegal. 

Come QF and potential France the issue then if Kane is not 100%. 

So relaxing the day after a win in the groups then it goes downhill from there. :D

I'm nervous and then get more nervous when I think we should win. Just hoping results go right and we can go into the last game already group winners, and the final game is just a chance for squad rotation. 

Edited by ginnybob

28 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

Just hoping results go right and we can go into the last game already group winners

How about this... Wales beat Iran, then England beat USA.

Engand - 6
Wales - 4
USA - 1
Iran - 0

Wales stil need to play for something to stay ahead of USA and not rely on GD... so we can put a complete second XI out, take it easy, and let them top the group.

Let them play France instead :D

Hard to know really.  I'm not entirely serious... :D

We were very lucky four years ago in being the last group to finish... so when people talked about "choosing" the KO path we knew definitely what the options were.

This time you are relying on too many other results... we try and "avoid" France and sod's law they end up losing to Tunisia on MD3 or something and finish as runner-up.

I know, and I agree. Also I want the big games. I want to play the France's and Brazil's etc. What the World Cup is about. It's also good to keep winning. I feel like there are quite a few examples of teams who win first 2, rest everyone for 3rd game and then lose first knockout round

And I don't think we threw the game against Belgium in 2018. We just both fielded 2nd strings and theirs was better 

Southgate got the England job not because of what he achieved at club manager  level but because he is English and people didn't want a non English manager 

A decent manager would have won last year's euros and maybe the world cup. England's problem is get rid of Southgate who do you get in and England are not blessed with great managers at the moment. 

Howe won't leave Newcastle at the moment so can't think of anyone else and certainly not with European experience. I'm not sure lampard has done any worse than Southgate at club level. I can recall Southgate reaching Europa league final I think but other than that he doesn't have much experience other than working in the background with England set up 

England fans want exciting football and win every game. It's rare a team plays exciting football and wins tournaments especially international level 

It wouldn't happen in a million years but... Gareth Ainsworth.

Hear me out. English. Great bloke all around. Tactically astute. Pragmatic. Likeable as ****. Did wonders without any money.

Lacks experience on the highest level but I'd take it over Southgate every time.

Edited by Constantine