• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, DarJ said:

Nope you can’t 

this is just horrible implementation

Can any developer maybe comment, is it by design or is it a bug that you can't link opp instructions to one specific tactic?

Edited by luka_zg

1 minute ago, Jack Joyce said:

It's correct, you can't.

Opposition instructions are intended to be used on a per-opposition basis, to react to specific strengths/weaknesses of the other team. Because of this they're not designed to be saved per-tactic.

If you don't want your team to press the opposition backline, then that's what line of engagement is for really (mid or low block), and if you want to do a high press, then you can use the high press instruction rather than setting every opposition player to 'trigger press more often'. We'd only recommend using the pressing trigger OI on one/two key players in the opposition that you want to single out in a pressing trap.

When you suggest one or two key players to press… is that how the match engine gets ‘broken’ when ‘professional’ fm’ers use the OI on multiple players (pressing wingers, full-backs, central mids). 

2 minutes ago, greenz81 said:

When you suggest one or two key players to press… is that how the match engine gets ‘broken’ when ‘professional’ fm’ers use the OI on multiple players (pressing wingers, full-backs, central mids). 

I wouldn't say it breaks the ME but it can certainly lean towards your team. If you have the right attributes for what you wish to implement the effects can be quite rewarding for example myself, I press heavily down one side to which is also the side I wish my Team Instruction to favour, all support roles, on the opposite flank I have every remaining player "Man Mark" - not press, the opposite side to which I want to attack, this causes a pressing trap to win the ball back to the opposite side to which most if not all my players are on Attack duties further up the pitch. So it can help :lol:

• SI Staff
Just now, greenz81 said:

It's hard to say honestly, it could be too strong but it could also make your press worse in some cases.

The way most modern teams approach pressing is they stay in shape and wait for a pressing 'trigger', at which point they pounce on the opposition and try to win the ball back. The OI is meant to have two main use cases:

1. Use on opposition players who have bad composure or ball playing ability, with the aim of forcing them in to cheap turnovers.
  2. Use on opposition players you absolutely don't want to give any time on the ball to e.g. Jorginho-esque playmakers.

It really depends on your preferences which sort of triggers you want to use, but if you use the OI too much - you could end up making your team lose their structure too often chasing the other team around the pitch. When you've triggered a press, your team will leave their tactical positions to engage to try and win the ball back, which at times can be fine but at other times can be disastrous.

Other than the structural issues that can occur, there's also the physical exertion of the team you have to factor in - if your team are told to trigger a press whenever a player receives the ball, they never get a chance to 'reset' and have a bit of a breather. We have a short-term condition model, which if expended means that your players won't be able to track back or run as well until they've had a bit of a break. It could be leading to defensive issues because your team are too tired to chase back or track their markers.

7 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

It's correct, you can't.

Opposition instructions are intended to be used on a per-opposition basis, to react to specific strengths/weaknesses of the other team. Because of this they're not designed to be saved per-tactic.

If you don't want your team to press the opposition backline, then that's what line of engagement is for really (mid or low block), and if you want to do a high press, then you can use the high press instruction rather than setting every opposition player to 'trigger press more often'. We'd only recommend using the pressing trigger OI on one/two key players in the opposition that you want to single out in a pressing trap.

That doesn't mean it always needs to work this way though, and if you have good ideas on how to design/structure a new way of doing OIs then please do make a thread in the feature requests forum - but personally I think if there's something you want to tell your team to do, that varies per tactic rather than per opposition, then you want a new team/player instruction more than anything?

Well, how you intend it, and how it used by many, seems to be sort of different.

Opposition instruction, is not different to anything else when we make tactics. With your logic, this could be applied to any of the tactical stuff in the game. The amount of micromanagement would be significantly reduced, if we have pre sets for specific saved tactics, much like how set-pieces currently work. 

I have a hard time seeing, how this is not an reasonable request.

1 minute ago, Rullom said:

I have a hard time seeing, how this is not an reasonable request.

As Jack said, if you have some ideas, you can post it as a feature request so that SI can consider it for future versions.

With this being one of the most expensive FMs in the recent years (if not the the most expensive one, probably due to the fact ShopTo was no longer an option if you wanted Beta access), and there being little to no updates during the Beta or on the release itself, it really is hard not feeling like a proper mug purchasing it. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

Recruitment needs to be fixed asap. Such an important part of the game being broken is unacceptable 

You don't mention what's 'broken' (that's where constructive feedback helps) but please report issues in the bug tracker, ideally with a save so they can reproduce it. That way SI can review it and log it, if it needs to be.

5 hours ago, forameuss said:

But this has always been a problem historically, and an extension of it in software in general.  It's the unrealistic input/unrealistic output problem.  There's a reason why every one of these custom tactics looks to be an absolute mess, and it's because the ME is - presumably - developed from a sensible standpoint to make sure that the "normal" stuff is as balanced as possible.  With millions upon millions of combinations being prohibitive to test extensively, someone who makes it their mission to find out those gaps is probably going to be able to cobble together some monstrosity that the engine simply doesn't know what to do with.  

And not saying it should be this way, the really obvious stuff that shouldn't work genuinely shouldn't work, but making an orthodox 4-2-3-1 behave correctly is probably going to always take priority over making sure someone can't play a 2-1-2-5 and get weird results.

I get that testing believable tactics vs believable tactics is more important, but it's also something that has persisted for a while and it's also important that it should be fixed. Because as we go through a career, season after season, we'll typically gravitate towards the things that work the best, even if we're not trying to directly exploit the match engine. And it's not very nice to spend seasons to perfect playing a certain way, only to later realise its much easier to just add lots of one other thing.

It does kind of spoil the game if things aren't very balanced.

I partially disagree with the "unrealistic input, unrealistic output" mantra, that's the same as saying the model isn't robust enough to handle extreme setups. I think it's important that in the pitch very extreme setups are punished for their flaws, because people will for example naturally gravitate to these ultra attacking things in the latter minutes of a game, and it's important that they're then punished on the counter by the AI. It's kind of key to the game, and we've had match engines in the past where it was beneficial to go attacking but not TOO attacking. Those were the most enjoyable versions of the ME, having to always think about risk vs reward. There's always going to be exploits but when the exploits are big it does spoil the game, even if indirectly, even if not really trying to use them.

Edited by noikeee

Really enjoying the M.E I'd say it's the best M.E out of all fm games. If they can iron out bugs and fix ui issues then this will have been a big step forward in the right direction. I just found a bug that was on the beta where you can't neogtiate loan with option to buy/mandatory fee if a club makes an offer. Besides that also like the added amount of injuries as it really adds to the experience of having to ensure you have sufficifient squad depth, Irl you look at the teams in the premiership, most teams with the exception of Arsenal are going through mejor injury crisises and it's only november

4 minutos atrás, HUNT3R disse:

You don't mention what's 'broken' (that's where constructive feedback helps) but please report issues in the bug tracker, ideally with a save so they can reproduce it. That way SI can review it and log it, if it needs to be.

I just made a comment. If you look at the Bug Tracker you will see that I made a topic about this but no response. 

9 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

I just made a comment. If you look at the Bug Tracker you will see that I made a topic about this but no response. 

If you do look at the screenshot provided, it shows that the recruitment is still "in progress". You chose "ongoing" so you will need to wait for recommendations as that has the lowest priority. If you want faster results, you would need to choose Top or Standard. The game tells you that those will have faster results.

You've not shown anything to be 'broken'. The post was made only 5 hours ago so give SI a little time to investigate.

4 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If you do look at the screenshot provided, it shows that the recruitment is still "in progress". You chose "ongoing" so you will need to wait for recommendations as that has the lowest priority. If you want faster results, you would need to choose Top or Standard. The game tells you that those will have faster results.

You've not shown anything to be 'broken'. The post was made only 5 hours ago so give SI a little time to investigate.

the exact same problems was reported on the 21th october and is under review, since both reports  are about the same problem scouting "ongoing" tasks, your reponse to @Nick_CB is worthless because his point about it is perfectly valid. its something that should have been addressed specially if it was reported in the first days of the open beta.

7 minutos atrás, HUNT3R disse:

I'll wait for sure, because I like the game and I paid to play it.

About the task, they have no player found since the beginning of the season. I'm not the only one having the same problem. 

3 minutes ago, kertiek said:

the exact same problems was reported on the 21th october and is under review, since both reports  are about the same problem scouting "ongoing" tasks, your reponse to @Nick_CB is worthless because his point about it is perfectly valid. its something that should have been addressed specially if it was reported in the first days of the open beta.

The issue that's under review in the thread you linked was completely different. 

That said, even in that thread, it will take time for player recommendations to come through. "Ongoing" is the lowest priority you can set.

51 minutos atrás, HUNT3R disse:

The issue that's under review in the thread you linked was completely different. 

That said, even in that thread, it will take time for player recommendations to come through. "Ongoing" is the lowest priority you can set.

You are playing? Is the recruitment working normally? Are the reports coming up with the tasks you assigned to the scouts? Forgive me if i'm being rude

3 minutes ago, Nick_CB said:

You are playing? Is the recruitment working normally? Are the reports coming up with the tasks you assigned to the scouts? Forgive me if i'm being rude

I haven't had issues, but I also generally cast a wide net and from that I will sift through to find the better options.

19 hours ago, kiingallen said:

It’s a sad day. 

for the first time in over 20 years, it’s come to the point of requesting a refund. Never in my life have I ever thought it would get to this point. 
but I’m truly disappointed in the way this release has turned out, and even the build. 

from feeling underwhelmed at the “headline features” barring the UEFA licensing, and the new ME. To the lack of changes from Beta to full release (ZERO in case of the ME). 
I cannot continue to support this. 

this hurts to write, as I’ve been a loyal buyer for over 20 years! But this is the final straw for me. 

I’ll keep an eye out for any future updates, and perhaps consider things from there.

but until then,

im out

Same here, this is the first time I've ever refunded a game. And it's not even about the game being particularly broken or bad, as I believe there were releases in worse state before. The lack of changes from beta to full release was the final straw for me. And while I get that ME is 'complicated and not easy to fix', I just don't see a point in taking part in another early release that pretends to be a full version. Thank you very much, but from now on I'll consider buying after the final patch when the game is finally fixed and also half the price.

3 hours ago, Jack Joyce said:

It's hard to say honestly, it could be too strong but it could also make your press worse in some cases.

The way most modern teams approach pressing is they stay in shape and wait for a pressing 'trigger', at which point they pounce on the opposition and try to win the ball back. The OI is meant to have two main use cases:

1. Use on opposition players who have bad composure or ball playing ability, with the aim of forcing them in to cheap turnovers.
  2. Use on opposition players you absolutely don't want to give any time on the ball to e.g. Jorginho-esque playmakers.

It really depends on your preferences which sort of triggers you want to use, but if you use the OI too much - you could end up making your team lose their structure too often chasing the other team around the pitch. When you've triggered a press, your team will leave their tactical positions to engage to try and win the ball back, which at times can be fine but at other times can be disastrous.

Other than the structural issues that can occur, there's also the physical exertion of the team you have to factor in - if your team are told to trigger a press whenever a player receives the ball, they never get a chance to 'reset' and have a bit of a breather. We have a short-term condition model, which if expended means that your players won't be able to track back or run as well until they've had a bit of a break. It could be leading to defensive issues because your team are too tired to chase back or track their markers.

Brilliant explanation which unfortunately nearly majority of all players won't see and won't understand why things are happening in their games as a result. Firstly thank you. And secondly here lies the issue why so many have complaints about the ME. It's a very complicated system but obviously has to be but also as a result very complicated to understand what each "dial" affects. 

Always believed a greater level of "cause and affect" for each instruction in team/player instructions was needed. 

A couple of things for now.

- I think this one runs faster than 21 and 22, Nice to see, although I just now got started with my (hopefully) long term save.

- The Match Engine could be a great one after it is patched. But right now there are too many defender brainfarts leading to goals (and most of them are goals against me).

10 hours ago, kevhamster said:

Same.  Created a new profile for my new save, automatically had a big ugly earring and I can't see any way of removing it.

If it's anything like rings I played around and found out that the way they worked you select each finger to 1) add a ring and 2) remove a ring.

I actually meant to post some feedback on it because I thought it was a really unintuitive way to add jewellery. I come from an MMO background so have some experience with char creation.

Try going to the ear with a ring and select the option for a ring again. I think that's what cleared it.

As is probably obvious, I am not in front of the game right now. I hope this helps someone. 

1 hour ago, el_manayer said:

Seriously, why can't I have the time bar there like it always was, and instead have to click back and forth those buttons? Can someone enlighten me as to why this was removed and why on earth anyone thinks it was a good idea to remove it? And I know this was changed back in FM21, but still... just put it back. Changes should be made to enrich or facilitate the experience, and this removal only produces the contrary.

Sin título.png

Thats your opinion though . From my POv  i hated the thing and never found use for it . I prefered a clean screen rather that thing clogging it up . 

8 minutes ago, alian62 said:

Thats your opinion though . From my POv  i hated the thing and never found use for it . I prefered a clean screen rather that thing clogging it up . 

That's fine, but why removing it? If you don't want to see it, you should have the option to hide it. But why removing  something useful that was in the game? Just give players the options to customize their experience and everyone would be happy

17 hours ago, anagain said:

I see. I am sure the option is there, at least it was in beta because I always zoom to 110%. I'm not in front of the game atm but is it not in User Interface?

You see thing is, i did not have it in the Beta either, i just thought it would be in the full game. Mine is still showing 85% scaling, with no other option

I have been playing the demo and I really had a good first impression of this version. 

However the balls over the top are really ridiculous, my reserve team scored 2 and 3 goals very easily. I did try everything: lowering the DL, changing mentality, used a Central Defender on Cover...

The best results were with the Direct Counter Attack template in which there were less mistakes, but they also happened - we were winning 2-0 and it became a 2-2, for example.

I hope that these issues are corrected on the next patches. If they are not I will stay in FM 21 and have fun without this crappy bug :D

Edited by Tsuru

10 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I just didn't see an option at all to remove it when creating the profile.  I'll have another look tonight, so thanks for the reply.  :)

When I made my profile in the beta, i had an earring on and no option to remove it. Then I made a new character today and it was there. There will be a box for earring next to watch and rings but for some reason, it sometimes just doesn't show up at all. Bug?

3 hours ago, d d said:

You see thing is, i did not have it in the Beta either, i just thought it would be in the full game. Mine is still showing 85% scaling, with no other option

Only thing I can suggest is to verify files, assuming you're on Steam. Maybe something didn't install right.

Current FM2023 3-back systems are less efficient than 4-back systems.For example, managers who use three-back formation such as Chelsea's Porter and Tottenham's Conte are replaced every time.
However, it does not mean that the three-back formation should be made too well, but shouldn't it have the same efficiency as the 4-back?
Please change the 3-back formation to be competitive

17 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

Current FM2023 3-back systems are less efficient than 4-back systems.For example, managers who use three-back formation such as Chelsea's Porter and Tottenham's Conte are replaced every time.
However, it does not mean that the three-back formation should be made too well, but shouldn't it have the same efficiency as the 4-back?
Please change the 3-back formation to be competitive

I've noticing that but I also keep an eye on Birmingham and how AI John Eustace does with his back 3 and he'll often end up in the playoffs or promoted  

If a team in real life has an option to buy a loan player would that show in game? Hull City have Salah M'Hand on loan from arsenal with option to buy and looking at his contract (on xbox) I can't see that I have the first option to buy. Is this a dB error or is this not a thing in game? 

12 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I've noticing that but I also keep an eye on Birmingham and how AI John Eustace does with his back 3 and he'll often end up in the playoffs or promoted  

Yeah, it appears that it's good for underdog clubs, but not so good for favorites.

7 minutes ago, kamackeris said:

If a team in real life has an option to buy a loan player would that show in game? Hull City have Salah M'Hand on loan from arsenal with option to buy and looking at his contract (on xbox) I can't see that I have the first option to buy. Is this a dB error or is this not a thing in game? 

Any options/mandatory future fee’s should appear in the players contract page with details from parent and loan clubs. If in real life there is something that is not in game that’s a bug report for the researchers.

Edited by Daz2205

I am actually enjoying the game a lot specially in the first years... It's maybe the most balanced ever in a lot of things, but the ME has to improve and the bugs of youth development and the big teams being older and older is totally killing my experience after 5-6 years of managing.

I am very disappointed because the problem of the youth development has been in the game since FM2022, and I dont see any sign of improvement in this year

These are just suggestions, but I think SI needs to take a new fresh look at the UI and make it more intuitive. When you got screens with tabs holding dropdown menus that has dropdown menus, then you are doing something wrong.

Take the set piece editor. Instead of just using a graphical representation of the field and letting users click where on the field they want to focus on a setup, you have cumbersome drop-down menus. Say I wanted to setup offensive wide free kick on the left side why not just let us click on that part of the field (the field could have markers so we could see where we can click) and the game would automatically take us to the corresponding setup? Better yet, why not let the very same field we just clicked on stay there and just place the markers on it so we don't have to change to a new screen?

Another is the tactical screen. Why are you now forced to click twice to shift from the three main menus? You have to click to select one, and if you want to shift to the next you first have to de-click the old one and then click to get to the new. Why is that?

When watching a match, wouldn't it make sense if you could pause the match and click on the player we want to shout to directly on the pitch? Or maybe we could click on a player, draw him to an opponent and that would activate some choices like asking him to mark that dude or back off tackling? Or why not let us draw an forward arrow on the left side of the pitch and the game would tell the players to push that side? Or maybe let us drag a box around several players and drag them up to tell them to push there?

Or maybe, when our ass man suggests an action during a match, instead of a speech bubble in a sub-menu, there could be a graphical representation on the field showing us with arrows, lines or whatnot what he wants us to take care of?

Stuff like that... I'm sure these suggestions are not easy to implement, maybe even really hard, but it would really improve the average experience if you reduced the number of tabs and drop-downs.

1 minute ago, Rayban_DK said:

These are just suggestions, but I think SI needs to take a new fresh look at the UI and make it more intuitive. When you got screens with tabs holding dropdown menus that has dropdown menus, then you are doing something wrong.

Take the set piece editor. Instead of just using a graphical representation of the field and letting users click where on the field they want to focus on a setup, you have cumbersome drop-down menus. Say I wanted to setup offensive wide free kick on the left side why not just let us click on that part of the field (the field could have markers so we could see where we can click) and the game would automatically take us to the corresponding setup? Better yet, why not let the very same field we just clicked on stay there and just place the markers on it so we don't have to change to a new screen?

Another is the tactical screen. Why are you now forced to click twice to shift from the three main menus? You have to click to select one, and if you want to shift to the next you first have to de-click the old one and then click to get to the new. Why is that?

When watching a match, wouldn't it make sense if you could pause the match and click on the player we want to shout to directly on the pitch? Or maybe we could click on a player, draw him to an opponent and that would activate some choices like asking him to mark that dude or back off tackling? Or why not let us draw an forward arrow on the left side of the pitch and the game would tell the players to push that side? Or maybe let us drag a box around several players and drag them up to tell them to push there?

Or maybe, when our ass man suggests an action during a match, instead of a speech bubble in a sub-menu, there could be a graphical representation on the field showing us with arrows, lines or whatnot what he wants us to take care of?

Stuff like that... I'm sure these suggestions are not easy to implement, maybe even really hard, but it would really improve the average experience if you reduced the number of tabs and drop-downs.

The interface being a mess is one of the biggest issues with the game, I think. Also suspect it'll still be a problem in five years time.

5 minutes ago, Rayban_DK said:

Agreed. At this point a lot of it is simply outdated, and pretty much what we've had for almost 20 years. 

3 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

The interface being a mess is one of the biggest issues with the game, I think. Also suspect it'll still be a problem in five years time.

Probably will be, considering it's been the same for the past 15-20 years :D 

16 hours ago, Nick_CB said:

I'll wait for sure, because I like the game and I paid to play it.

About the task, they have no player found since the beginning of the season. I'm not the only one having the same problem. 

16 hours ago, HUNT3R said:

From messing around with scouting while testing it looks like the best way about it is to use STANDARD focus for large areas (region scouting and nation scouting) and ONGOING for small areas (competitions). Using Motherwell as an example (all 2* CA/2.5* PA focuses for tactic) I got:

17 hits on Scotland for standard after 2 months. (A further 4 after another month when I restarted the focus)

6 for UK and IE for standard after 1 month. (A further 13 after another month when I restarted the focus)

2 for England ongoing after 2 months.

2 for UK/IE ongoing after 2 months.

10 for Scottish Prem ongoing after 1 month.

Its worth noting that scouting is still going on even if they arent coming through as hits. You can use the scouted players tab or player search to see whos been scouted and who you might be interested in. Reminds of me how I used to scout in FM13, I would let the scouts do their thing and maybe check their top 1 or 2 picks and use my scouted player search to pick out players for my shortlist. I havent tried directing my scouts to specific players yet so no idea how long that takes to get a full report.

I think the issue is the conversion of ongoing wide focuses into hits. Right now the UK and IE ongoing focus has 10 in progress, all who meet the critera. After another month of simming none of them make the hit list.

I hope it gets looked at for the next patch in December but you never know.