*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

The chaos effect on midfield is good and all but i've witnessed even players with good ball control and ball retention attributes (first touch, technique, dribbling, decision, anticipation, blablabla) lose the ball to a player with average to just bad defensive attributes (tackling, positioning, marking, etc) in a 1v1 engagement. It's almost like all players don't have ball control anymore.

Conclusion: Midfield chaos introduction is appreciated but the fact that in the current version (23.1) players with good to excellent ball control loses possession way too easily than their ball control abilities suggest is infuriating. Please fix and thank you

Edit: It's not just midfielders. center backs, wingbacks, attacking wingers also experience this

Edited by rrreee3

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators
1 minute ago, anagain said:

Why do we regularly see jobs listed as being available only to see the following message?

image.png.e778393ac1dfdcdfc2a15aeeab43401f.png

Is that just their way of saying you're not the man we're looking for or is there something I am missing? 

They may have appointed a caretaker or interim manager to take longer to assess their options. Worth checking to see if that's the case. 

10 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

They may have appointed a caretaker or interim manager to take longer to assess their options. Worth checking to see if that's the case. 

Ahh, that is indeed the case.

I do see some clubs listed in the Job Centre have:

image.png.07220e8ef5f9f12ef3c18380d5428a5d.png

Grbalj do not have the View Job Advert Bar. I guess that's they key. I must have applied right before they decided on caretaker. Bad luck on the timing.

Thing is, I seem to be getting that message for every job I apply for. Wish there was a clear way to know.

Edited by anagain

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, anagain said:

Ahh, that is indeed the case.

I do see some clubs listed in the Job Centre have:

image.png.07220e8ef5f9f12ef3c18380d5428a5d.png

Grbalj do not have the View Job Advert Bar. I guess that's they key. I must have applied right before they decided on caretaker. Bad luck on the timing.

Thing is, I seem to be getting that message for every job I apply for. Wish there was a clear way to know.

May be that the frequency of when this happens is too high, so worth flagging in the Bug Tracker if you have a save with a lot of active examples.

That way our team can review further. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

May be that the frequency of when this happens is too high, so worth flagging in the Bug Tracker if you have a save with a lot of active examples.

That way our team can review further. Thanks.

Okay, I will do. I have a number of steam workshop leagues added but the message isn't limited to those leagues.

I wonder if I'm just under qualified too. I have gotten a weekly jobs update with jobs with what seem lesser clubs, if the wage bill is anything to go by. Possibly need to lower my expectations, but I will oput in a bug report with save.

Thanks for the answers.

Dear SI,

Forgive my ignorance, but hardly to imagine that the Israeli Rookie - Youth Award having a higher world reputation gaining from other Rookie - Youth Awards which coming from Germany, Spain, England etc. We need to look seriously about Rookie - Youth Awards (Home & World Reputation).

434049294_Screenshot2022-11-12141423.thumb.png.26262830dcdf48796e66e7ad84b26af5.png

after a few years away from the game it is very disappointing to see the same errors from previous years still not fixed in particular in the Scottish saves, from wrong fixture dates, wrong disciplinary rules, wrong substitution rules in one of the cups, wrong transfer rules and clubs making needless signings eg 2 goalkeepers in winter window to make 5 in the first team squad! most clubs still signing random 35+ year olds on big wages to never kick a ball.

and thats before getting into any data issues.

poor stuff to say the least.

My initial feedback is mostly about the UI since I haven't played long enough yet to comment on the accuracy of the simulation and AI behaviour:

1. 2D Matchplay UI wastes space - Same as in FM22, the huge black vertical bars on the sides of the 2D screen are an obvious design flaw. The player health visual across the bottom of the screen should be on the left or right side of the screen and the other side of the screen should have a customizable match stats visual. The way it is now makes the 2D experience virtually unplayable without a third party skin.
  2. Matchplay screen between highlights does not offer enough info - I want all of the player stats we used to have pre-FM22 so I know what is happening without having to watch a virtual game for 90 minutes.
  3. 3D Matchplay visuals - The player animations might be better, but the game is still shooting itself in the foot with the horrible crowd and stadium backgrounds. The game looks 20 years old in this department.
  4. Hearts for fitness - The distinctions between shades of yellow/green are not as obvious as they should be. Just show us a number (doesn't have to be as precise as 1-100) instead of a colour-coded indicator.
  5. Team training - It still requires too much micromanagement, especially when fixtures start moving around. My suggestion is to schedule types of training on a "Percentage of training time" basis rather than as discrete blocks within a daily schedule. Let me pick "15% transition defense," "5% attacking corners," etc. Sorting out a daily schedule is too much of a chore.
  6. Show me during the matches - This is something DrBenjy has suggested, and I think it's a great idea. If my striker misses a wide open net, cut to a visual of me shaking my head or something similar. If my team scores a late goal, show me celebrating. Show me irate after a controversial referee decision.

Edited by Overmars

11 minutes ago, Overmars said:

My initial feedback is mostly about the UI since I haven't played long enough yet to comment on the accuracy of the simulation and AI behaviour:

1. Show me during the matches - This is something DrBenjy has suggested, and I think it's a great idea. If my striker misses a wide open net, cut to a visual of me shaking my head or something similar. If my team scores a late goal, show me celebrating. Show me irate after a controversial referee decision.

I've suggested manager reaction cutscenes for extended highlights and above a few times in comments this year. It feels like that was why a detailed 3D avatar was created in the first place, but it was never followed through. The one thing I would say if this did get implemented was to make sure that the probability of showing a reaction for any given event was kept pretty low - we all know how annoying VAR can become.  For anything that is introduced, it must always be considered that in the course of multiple saves over the lifespan of even 1 year's game everything get repeated many, many times.

setting up corners to near post + having defender stand at near post and other mark keeper seems very OP in last few years 

also ask any staff to reccomend signing doesnt work (same last few versions)

Edited by Domathon

12 hours ago, rrreee3 said:

The chaos effect on midfield is good and all but i've witnessed even players with good ball control and ball retention attributes (first touch, technique, dribbling, decision, anticipation, blablabla) lose the ball to a player with average to just bad defensive attributes (tackling, positioning, marking, etc) in a 1v1 engagement. It's almost like all players don't have ball control anymore.

Conclusion: Midfield chaos introduction is appreciated but the fact that in the current version (23.1) players with good to excellent ball control loses possession way too easily than their ball control abilities suggest is infuriating. Please fix and thank you

Edit: It's not just midfielders. center backs, wingbacks, attacking wingers also experience this

I don't think that's a bad thing. The better player shouldn't be successful 100% of the time if we are talking about probability. If its happening way too often with similar players then it would probably be too much.

Finding that club vision of preferring to sign players for the first team under the age of 23 is too heavily impressed upon.

Doubt many boards if any would block you from signing players who are 24 etc because of it, yet that's what's happening.

Guessing this also doesn't take into account if you were to be bringing through a lot of internal youth and wanted to bring some experienced heads in to help them.

Frustrating.

Every direct free kick highlight against me is a goal.  I've only played 12 games so far this season and I have already conceded 5 direct free kicks, the highest free kick ability of anyone was 16, the average is more like 13, with one player only having 10. 

There were about 6 or 7 last year against me as well.

Yet I have JWP with 20 freekicks and he's scored 1 in a about 50 games. 

There have only been 9 DFKs in the whole PL so far this season, THREE have been against me. If the AI has a DFK highlight against me, it's goal, they are more efficient than penalties. 

2 hours ago, rp1966 said:

I've suggested manager reaction cutscenes for extended highlights and above a few times in comments this year. It feels like that was why a detailed 3D avatar was created in the first place, but it was never followed through. The one thing I would say if this did get implemented was to make sure that the probability of showing a reaction for any given event was kept pretty low - we all know how annoying VAR can become.  For anything that is introduced, it must always be considered that in the course of multiple saves over the lifespan of even 1 year's game everything get repeated many, many times.

Totally agree about keeping them rare. About 5 times per season would be more than enough. I just want the game to show me that it knows how big the moment is.

On 10/11/2022 at 08:05, anagain said:

Only thing I can suggest is to verify files, assuming you're on Steam. Maybe something didn't install right.

It seems i have found a way of doing it, and it appears to be working now.

i put -small-screen-windowed in the launch options on Steam FM23

All the scaling options have come up now, All six of them

Edited by d d

7 hours ago, ChippyLowe said:

For my money, this is the worst version of FM I've ever bought and I wish I were in a position to request a full refund.

The bugs in the match engine (defenders unable to get back to deal with a ball over the top being the most egregious) are absolutely shocking, IF/IW STILL not cutting inside despite this being an issue since release of FM22.

A headline feature being a 20 minute long CL draw :lol:

Release day being 2 weeks before a World Cup and there is ZERO attempt to improve international management.

I don't see myself even trying to play this game until the December patch now, and that needs to be a big improvement, feel I've wasted my money at this point.

So basically you just pointed out what everyone else have posted numerous times . Over the top balls will get fixed.  It was the same in FM21 release . IF/IW play fine in my game . We all know out international management. So much negatively.  Focus on the good points and cheer yourself up a bit 

6 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Played 2 full seasons now and am in a position to provide some additional feedback following my first impressions post.

At first, I welcomed the the loose first touches and turnovers in possession. After playing 100 or so matches, it is clear that the burden and price for incorporating this 'chaos of football' sits disproportionately on the shoulders of defenders. I have lost count of how many times I've seen a defender, with the ball at their feet, stand motionless and get robbed of possession - often leading to goal. If anything, I'd have to say I have done this to the AI more than the other way round. I also think that when this plays out, it is under the euphemistic guise of 'pressing' (?!).

Let's get on to the main issue, which is the behaviour of centre backs when the ball is played over the top. Now I don't know what is going on here in terms of whether it is ME code, or the graphics engine is having a hard time representing what's going on; but there is definitely a sense of intermittent paralysis going on with defenders when the ball is in the air. In almost all cases, their starting position isn't bad and they have a good 10 yards head start in a foot race. But what I notice is they routinely lose the flight of the ball and decelerate their sprint to a walk / jog. At the same time, the attacker gains a burst of speed (often well beyond what their attributes suggest is possible).

The upshot is I am both gaining and losing points because of this, and it undermines how the relative tactical systems should match up against each other. I'm not playing on a high mentality or with a pushed up back line. Quite how York just scored a Sunday league level goal (by lobbing one over the top against my 'low' block) has me left feeling a little hollow about the whole experience.

It really needs addressing.

Yes and its been documented numerous times that the ME will be looked at . Same issue in FM21 and they fixed it

5 hours ago, Overmars said:

1. 2D Matchplay UI wastes space - Same as in FM22, the huge black vertical bars on the sides of the 2D screen are an obvious design flaw. The player health visual across the bottom of the screen should be on the left or right side of the screen and the other side of the screen should have a customizable match stats visual. The way it is now makes the 2D experience virtually unplayable without a third party skin.
  2. Matchplay screen between highlights does not offer enough info - I want all of the player stats we used to have pre-FM22 so I know what is happening without having to watch a virtual game for 90 minutes.
  3. 3D Matchplay visuals - The player animations might be better, but the game is still shooting itself in the foot with the horrible crowd and stadium backgrounds. The game looks 20 years old in this department.
  4. Hearts for fitness - The distinctions between shades of yellow/green are not as obvious as they should be. Just show us a number (doesn't have to be as precise as 1-100) instead of a colour-coded indicator.
  5. Team training - It still requires too much micromanagement, especially when fixtures start moving around. My suggestion is to schedule types of training on a "Percentage of training time" basis rather than as discrete blocks within a daily schedule. Let me pick "15% transition defense," "5% attacking corners," etc. Sorting out a daily schedule is too much of a chore.
  6. Show me during the matches - This is something DrBenjy has suggested, and I think it's a great idea. If my striker misses a wide open net, cut to a visual of me shaking my head or something similar. If my team scores a late goal, show me celebrating. Show me irate after a controversial referee decision.

Show me the ring on my finger 

9 hours ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

I don't think that's a bad thing. The better player shouldn't be successful 100% of the time if we are talking about probability. If its happening way too often with similar players then it would probably be too much.

Yes that's the point. It's happening way too often even when the player have great ball control and ball retention attributes and it's not even a collective press, it's a 1v1 against player who don't have good defensive attributes.

Edited by rrreee3

1.thumb.png.644a2a6486fac8fd83f4826c1fb3f3dd.png

What is the difference between the four options?
Regardless of which option you choose or do not talk to the agent, the amount of money you accept per week is the same. I think there's no difference between all four, but why are there four options?
It would be better if you could make a difference in weekly negotiations between not having a conversation with an agent and having a conversation and four options.
There is no point in talking to the current player's agent.

Edited by zzkeg27

21 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

Regardless of which option you choose or do not talk to the agent, the amount of money you accept per week is the same. I think there's no difference between all four, but why are there four options?
It would be better if you could make a difference in weekly negotiations between not having a conversation with an agent and having a conversation and four options.

1. VERY keen, what do you want? (You will do ANYTHING to renew)
2. We want to negotiate a new deal, what are your initial demands? (You want to know his demands because you are interested)
3. If we were to negotiate, what would the demands be? (Slight interest, but also be aware we can look elsewhere)
4. Deal is up soon, would he consider a new deal? (not sure if we want to renew, what do you think).

For me, the last two are the closest ones, but it's meant to signify how important the new deal is to you. For the first two you are signaling clear intent which will make him feel more valuable to the club, but also demand more. For the latter two, you are telling him you would consider a new deal, but you don't consider him very important, something that can make him feel alienated, but also lower demands. Your call based on what you are actually after. The headlines over the text outlines the same as I did here.

44 minutes ago, XaW said:

1. VERY keen, what do you want? (You will do ANYTHING to renew)
2. We want to negotiate a new deal, what are your initial demands? (You want to know his demands because you are interested)
3. If we were to negotiate, what would the demands be? (Slight interest, but also be aware we can look elsewhere)
4. Deal is up soon, would he consider a new deal? (not sure if we want to renew, what do you think).

For me, the last two are the closest ones, but it's meant to signify how important the new deal is to you. For the first two you are signaling clear intent which will make him feel more valuable to the club, but also demand more. For the latter two, you are telling him you would consider a new deal, but you don't consider him very important, something that can make him feel alienated, but also lower demands. Your call based on what you are actually after. The headlines over the text outlines the same as I did here.

After many restarts, all four options had the same requirements.
It would be better if the agent's conversation could present different demands for differences between the four. All four current choices are the same.
The difference in how much a football club wants to negotiate a player in real football certainly affects the weekly negotiations.
The current agent conversation system has no meaning. There needs to be a definite improvement.

Edited by zzkeg27

40 minutes ago, zzkeg27 said:

It would be better if the agent's conversation could present different demands for differences between the four. All four current choices are the same.
The difference in how much a football club wants to negotiate a player in real football certainly affects the weekly negotiations.
The current agent conversation system has no meaning. There needs to be a definite improvement.

The fact that no matter which option you choose, the outcome is the same, it is extremely sad and reflects the status of the whole interaction system...

3 hours ago, BuzzR said:

Let them speak man.. It's the feedback forum.

Over the top balls should have been fixed some years ago. Yes! and here we are, again. 

Yes, we all know about international management but if there is only one voice speaking - it's going to go under the radar, again. 

Speaking up in numbers it's the only way we can hope for some changes to the ways things are addressed or SI is communicating with the consumers.

Do you think statements like this happened because it was one guy complaining about ME bugs, roadmaps, lack of communication etc. ?

Please provide proof about over the top balls in every series.  I can remember only one and it was fixed . I think by jow SI development team know about over the top balls , international management.  They are not that stupid and banging on about the same old things that have been posted 1000s of times is not helping . 

Edited by prot651

Not sure if it's been brought up here, but my biggest concern, and what is stopping me from getting to invested, is the lack of goals across the leagues. Half way through a season, and was curious to see how other leagues were going. Pretty much all leagues had teams with similar goal numbers to how many games they've played. I think the only 2 teams I saw with high goal numbers were Celtic and Bayern.

1 hour ago, zzkeg27 said:

If so, then please report it in the bug tracker for SI to investigate.

It’s something I’ve been curious about while doing FM for a long time.

Each player has their own characteristics.

I like to dribble on the defensive side, penetrate into center from both sides, have great skills and like to pass under my feet.

Do these traits really work in the match engine?

It doesn't seem to be working properly.

If you look at the overall highlight, each player has no personality.

All you have to do is score, defend, and play according to a set pattern.

Waiting for a reply from the developer. I'm really curious.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BuzzR said:

Let them speak man.. It's the feedback forum.

Over the top balls should have been fixed some years ago. Yes! and here we are, again. 

Yes, we all know about international management but if there is only one voice speaking - it's going to go under the radar, again. 

Speaking up in numbers it's the only way we can hope for some changes to the ways things are addressed or SI is communicating with the consumers.

Do you think statements like this happened because it was one guy complaining about ME bugs, roadmaps, lack of communication etc. ?

Just to bolden this point as think it highlights how complex the match engine is. It's not just a case of 'fixing' the match engine for anything ever. You can't just think 'right what I want to do is make x area completely perfect in reflecting real life, then I'll move onto something else'.

Nothing in the match engine is in isolation. Every change has the potential to influence what happens elsewhere which is why we're so frequently talking about balance. You want more realistic X that's fine, but bear in mind in doing so it will change how Y works. And A, B, C, D...etc.

Now this isn't about making excuses, it's just to try and explaining why with every version and the countless improvements we look to make, there may be issues flagged say in an area that was more commonly raised say for FM19 etc. It's a constantly evolving project.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, csw4228 said:

It’s something I’ve been curious about while doing FM for a long time.

Each player has their own characteristics.

I like to dribble on the defensive side, penetrate into center from both sides, have great skills and like to pass under my feet.

Do these traits really work in the match engine?

It doesn't seem to be working properly.

If you look at the overall highlight, each player has no personality.

All you have to do is score, defend, and play according to a set pattern.

Waiting for a reply from the developer. I'm really curious.

We don't have items like that in game for purely cosmetic purposes. We have traits because that's what they are in the ME.

If you have any examples where you think they aren't working or being as effective as they should be (and bear in mind tactical instructions are the overall framework of how your players will play), feel free to raise via our Bug Tracker ideally with pkm's showing it on a consistent basis.

Jut because a player has a certain trait doesn't mean they will look to do that every single time they have the ball. 

Thanks. 

2 hours ago, zzkeg27 said:

There is no point in talking to the current player's agent.

Yes they are practically the same. The dialogues and interviews in game needs major review and revamp to freshen things up.