*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

Yes its very good value for money but the issue is should we accept low standards? 

You enjoy it now but could you imagine if it had better graphics, better manager AI, international football, set piece designer, a modern ME? These are things which are realistic asks. Its not unreachable.

The amount of people who chat about tactics, signings and formations on a weekly basis in the pub, on group chat, reading on twitter is massive and the only game that allows you to live it is FM as there is no alternative. So its even the best of a bad bunch, its just taking what you can get to fulfil that need. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I come from FM21, so my opinion is based in comparison with that. I have been trying the demo, finally. Here my opinion, from negative to positive.

The bad:

* A lot has been said about international management and set pieces, so I won't repeat. The current status of both is a shame because it hasn't evolved with the rest of the game.

* Player interactions and promises... I can't believe this is not reworked. Anyone who plays a single season in the game would notice that this does not work the way it should or it was first intended.

* Some UI decisions, which I could not believe when they were first made, are still there. I am talking about the lack of the time bar during the matches or the rearrangement of players in team talks, for example. Seriously, about the time-bar. Why? Somebody explains it to me? Immersion? Is that immersion? Why not giving me the option to have it if I want it? It is a game, I am not in the field, I don't feel like I am in the field, I don't watch the whole match... so if I want to go back and forth watching it to understand what is going on in the match, to observe players individually, or if I went for a drink and came back and want to have a brief look, why I can't???? To me this is absolutely crazy, honestly. I will never understand it. Please, I beg you, bring it back.

* The squad planner... not a bad idea, but badly done. It is overcomplicated to do something very simple. It is not intuitive nor comfortable to use.

* I can't believe that faces look worse than in FM21. Specially due to issues with hair, beards and eyebrows. This is a shame.

* My only complain from ME perspective is the erratic behaviour sometimes defenders show. Like, a lack of awareness of their surroundings. They also seem to fail too often very easy headers. Also, for some reason they act sometimes like under pressure when they are not, and just hit the ball forward with no sense even if it is against their instructions.

* I wish English teams were not as overpowered as they are, basically in all FM games. I have seen videos simulating several years in the future, and English teams always dominate Champions league. The reality is different.

The good:

* ME: Honestly, I didn't expect to be surprised here. I expected it to be better, but I found it much, much better than I anticipated. For real, a lot. I don't know if the huge evolution I feel is more for FM21->22 or FM22->23, but it feels way way way better, way more natural, way more realistic. So much, that I am indeed buying the game (in a few weeks, when I have more time to play it) even with all the negativity I wrote above.  I am also confident that the issue with defenders will be solved in a patch soon.

* Also, I used to watch matches in 2D and, for the first time, I am indeed enjoying the views in 3D. Although there is a huge room for improvement here in term of graphics, textures, stadium diversity, lightning, etc., the player movements feel a lot more natural than in FM21.

* Many people complained about lack of cut inside from inside forwards... but the little I have played, I have seen a reasonable amount I think. Not as much as in FM21, but my players were behaving more or less like I expected in this regard (they also have the pkm of cut inside, so it might be that)

Time spent in a game like this is not the correct way to measure satisfaction in my opinion. I have spent 110 hours on the beta, of which probably half it of it is it simply idling in the background. The other half is also spent on setting stuff up, dealing with press conferences, broken mechanics and what not which I would not necessarily call entertainment.

For me entertainment is always quality over quantity, and in this year's edition the quality is just not there for me.

16 minutes ago, diLLa88 said:

Time spent in a game like this is not the correct way to measure satisfaction in my opinion. I have spent 110 hours on the beta, of which probably half it of it is it simply idling in the background. The other half is also spent on setting stuff up, dealing with press conferences, broken mechanics and what not which I would not necessarily call entertainment.

For me entertainment is always quality over quantity, and in this year's edition the quality is just not there for me.

I respectfully disagree.

The Match engine is the best it's ever been.

We have more options than ever before and the simulation has extended even further.

1 minute ago, Domoboy23 said:

The match engine is really really good. (Coming from someone who loves clean sheets and 1-0's) And I've had huge gripes with each one since FM13!

Agree - this ME is the most realistic one yet, just a couple of tweaks needed and it will be perfect - HUGE improvement from FM22, the tiki taka football played by every team and amount of passes by average teams was crazy in FM22, completely unrealistic and I couldn't take the game seriously, this for me was the main thing they needed to fix which they have. Stats also much improved and much more realistic now. If they iron out the couple of bugs without it effecting the current positives in the ME it will be great. Just really hope they don't give in to the moaners requesting a refund and completely revert the ME back to FM22 which people enjoyed, but real football fans didn't enjoy it because it was unrealistic to turn a non league team into a better version of prime Barca completing 600+ passes per game.

1 hour ago, wazup said:

On the earing

I created my profile in the beta. Couldn't remove it, didn't even have the option.  I looked multiple times couldn't see it, with other people claiming it is easy look again.

Yesterday I loaded my new save up and created my holiday man to holiday to the 8th November. When creating this holiday man the earing option was there clearly visible. When I then added my manager profile and went to edit the profile the earing option wasn't there and I am still stuck with it.

Same.  Created a new profile for my new save, automatically had a big ugly earring and I can't see any way of removing it.

2 minutes ago, kevhamster said:

Same.  Created a new profile for my new save, automatically had a big ugly earring and I can't see any way of removing it.

Don't you click on it to remove it in the screen where you'd add it? Not tried it myself but worth a try  

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Don't you click on it to remove it in the screen where you'd add it? Not tried it myself but worth a try  

He didn't add it, it is there automatically. No way of removing it

14 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

This is the second time I've seen someone mention home/away game balance in their feedback, but we're yet to see any convincing evidence that there's an issue.

image.png.dceb7ae2361c40bfcb0b174343fb253c.png

According to our statistics, people have a win rate of 66% at home and 51% away from home so far in FM23, which is within the ranges you can see from real football above, especially considering that a lot of people don't adapt their tactics for away matches.

The AI managers are a tougher challenge this year, which means that you might need to adjust your plans when you're away from home. Teams will have a plan to hurt you! Just to show the increased challenge this year - the overall win rate is 58%, when in FM22 it was 62%.

It was easier to get away with just playing the same plug-and-play tactic every match before than it is now.

Very good to hear this!

1 minute ago, wazup said:

I know that :thup: I'm just saying how it should be removed. If you edit your manager appearance, there's a jewelry screen or something similar, click on the earring there.  

8 minutes ago, wazup said:

There is a way to remove it, but it's so badly done.

You have to click through a lot of things in order to do it.

I'm still on FM22 and although I've bought 23 I've not played a single minute of it yet (bit burnt out with FM at the moment and waiting for better feedback of the new version). But I already have something to question - from looking at websites that build plug and play tactics, it looks like one thing that is working *wildly* well, is having lots of advanced forwards and shadow strikers at the same time, with only a single player behind holding the midfield. :D There's literally one guy who built a tactic with 3 AFs and 2 SSs :D others are using 1 AF with 2 SSs behind him; or just a pair of AFs

Are we back to a) long ball punts to runners being overpowered, and also b) have the changes to first touch made it useless to have more than one midfielder, because players can't control the ball consistently well anymore?

I know that every ME has exploits, but really not looking forward to playing this one if this is the case. Imagine a team IRL trying to play with 3 Filippo Inzaghis or Agueros all trying to break past the offensive line, plus two aggressive number 10s both also trying to appear as poachers in the box, and a giant, enormous hole behind them with just one central midfielder :D they'd get absolutely battered, not win every match.

Edited by noikeee

33 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

This is the second time I've seen someone mention home/away game balance in their feedback, but we're yet to see any convincing evidence that there's an issue.

According to our statistics, people have a win rate of 66% at home and 51% away from home so far in FM23, which is within the ranges you can see from real football above, especially considering that a lot of people don't adapt their tactics for away matches.

The AI managers are a tougher challenge this year, which means that you might need to adjust your plans when you're away from home. Teams will have a plan to hurt you! Just to show the increased challenge this year - the overall win rate is 58%, when in FM22 it was 62%.

It was easier to get away with just playing the same plug-and-play tactic every match before than it is now.

That’s interesting to hear. I have no interest in moaning for the sake of things, but I will regularly have more shots on goal, etc and the result will always fall to the home team.

There just seems to be an unbalanced advantage to playing at home. I can only tell you of my experience. Perhaps it’s because I play as West Ham, rather than a City etc who you’d expect to win every game either home or away.

1 hour ago, wazup said:

On the earing

I created my profile in the beta. Couldn't remove it, didn't even have the option.  I looked multiple times couldn't see it, with other people claiming it is easy look again.

Yesterday I loaded my new save up and created my holiday man to holiday to the 8th November. When creating this holiday man the earing option was there clearly visible. When I then added my manager profile and went to edit the profile the earing option wasn't there and I am still stuck with it.

someone adviced me yesterday in this topic to: edit appearance --> randomise accessories --> do it until earrings are gone

33 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Away games are difficult this year and I can agree to this having found myself on away days drawing and losing consecutive games in between home games and I found myself needing to make changes and from those tweaks either sitting a little more deeper, dropping mentality, reading and analysing data from the games I find myself quickly turning it around and going back to winning streaks. Honestly this year in FM23 I genuinely have only ever had problems away from home and tweaks play their part in countering different opponents. 

14 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I'm still on FM22 and although I've bought 23 I've not played a single minute of it yet (bit burnt out with FM at the moment and waiting for better feedback of the new version).

I'd say if you're waiting on positive feedback from these forums in order to play FM ... you'd never get to play it! Every year no matter how good the game is, sadly this is the moaners circle! :D

19 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I'm still on FM22 and although I've bought 23 I've not played a single minute of it yet (bit burnt out with FM at the moment and waiting for better feedback of the new version). But I already have something to question - from looking at websites that build plug and play tactics, it looks like one thing that is working *wildly* well, is having lots of advanced forwards and shadow strikers at the same time, with only a single player behind holding the midfield. :D There's literally one guy who built a tactic with 3 AFs and 2 SSs :D others are using 1 AF with 2 SSs behind him; or just a pair of AFs

Are we back to a) long ball punts to runners being overpowered, and also b) have the changes to first touch made it useless to have more than one midfielder, because players can't control the ball consistently well anymore?

I know that every ME has exploits, but really not looking forward to playing this one if this is the case.

a) no, defenders do seem to struggle with balls over the top, but it's not game breaking. This ME is much better than early fm22 versions.

b) no

Edited by chewbaccaloveaddiction

44 minutes ago, Jack Joyce said:

Agree, one of the criticisms of previous FMs was the AI was too passive, now its very aggressive when it needs to be. No longer do I walk away at 2 or 3 nil up, make my final subs and make a cup of tea comfortable knowing the game is won.

One thing I've noticed is you can't just put any defender as a ball playing one, if they haven't got the attributes  for it then you will get punished whereas before these didn't appear so critical.

3 minutes ago, CKCAgg said:

Hi, according to this news:https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-champions-league-squad-confirmed-27918631,

Ben Davies,  classed  as an 'homegrown' player in Champions League squad list, but the game doesn't seem refer to that.

Possibly, there will be a quick update about the players applied to the similar rules?

https://community.sigames.com/bugtracker/football-manager-2023-bugs-tracker/database-and-research/england-premier-division-data-issues/

Have a look in there, it may have already been reported. If not, post that in there for it to be looked at 

32 minutes ago, noikeee said:

I know that every ME has exploits, but really not looking forward to playing this one if this is the case. Imagine a team IRL trying to play with 3 Filippo Inzaghis or Agueros all trying to break past the offensive line, plus two aggressive number 10s both also trying to appear as poachers in the box, and a giant, enormous hole behind them with just one central midfielder :D they'd get absolutely battered, not win every match.

Yes it's still the same. In beta before I refunded I played very attack, 8 players on attacking (GK, WBs, CM, IFs and AFs), one on support (DM) and both DCs on defend. Pump as many people forward via counter attack, play low block high defensive line. AI can't cope. Won everything just playing same tactic every match, intense press and counter. It hasn't changed.

Edited by harrycarrie

43 minutes ago, noikeee said:

But this has always been a problem historically, and an extension of it in software in general.  It's the unrealistic input/unrealistic output problem.  There's a reason why every one of these custom tactics looks to be an absolute mess, and it's because the ME is - presumably - developed from a sensible standpoint to make sure that the "normal" stuff is as balanced as possible.  With millions upon millions of combinations being prohibitive to test extensively, someone who makes it their mission to find out those gaps is probably going to be able to cobble together some monstrosity that the engine simply doesn't know what to do with.  

And not saying it should be this way, the really obvious stuff that shouldn't work genuinely shouldn't work, but making an orthodox 4-2-3-1 behave correctly is probably going to always take priority over making sure someone can't play a 2-1-2-5 and get weird results.

2 minutes ago, forameuss said:

But this has always been a problem historically, and an extension of it in software in general.  It's the unrealistic input/unrealistic output problem.  There's a reason why every one of these custom tactics looks to be an absolute mess, and it's because the ME is - presumably - developed from a sensible standpoint to make sure that the "normal" stuff is as balanced as possible.  With millions upon millions of combinations being prohibitive to test extensively, someone who makes it their mission to find out those gaps is probably going to be able to cobble together some monstrosity that the engine simply doesn't know what to do with.  

And not saying it should be this way, the really obvious stuff that shouldn't work genuinely shouldn't work, but making an orthodox 4-2-3-1 behave correctly is probably going to always take priority over making sure someone can't play a 2-1-2-5 and get weird results.

But it does feel like on a general level the more you attack the better you will do... At least in previous games. 

8 minutes ago, bobbyb12345 said:

But it does feel like on a general level the more you attack the better you will do... At least in previous games. 

I tried it with lower half Scottish side (by the games standard), and after a few games i started getting ripped apart on the counter.

Its a plausible tactic for strongest teams in the division as teams are always a bit more reserved against you, but im unsure all out attack will work long term this time around.

On flip side, in my season start, I've conceded 2 goals in 6 matches while scoring 14. It's not massively impressive, but in those 6 matches, my xG is 9.68 and xGA is 4.59. No counter pressing and nothing very attacking at all. And yes, I know it's only 6 matches, so a small sample size.  :D

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

The problem isnt the difficulty in winning away from home, like the stats suggest. Its how its being played out, and the vast difference between the football on display between Home and Away games. My players with neutral to positive body language and high morale shouldnt instantly forget how to strike a ball cleanly, like they do in Home matches, just because they are Away. Yes the AI is more 'adventurous' and 'positive' in home games, it is noticeable. BUT that doesnt excuse my football being played out completely differently. A potential reasoning of "the AI presses more when at home, so you cant play your own game" just doesnt fly with me, sometimes we are talking about world class players. The amount of times my Liverpool side in the BETA lost the CL away leg 0-1 playing awful football to then win 5-0 at home, was almost EVERY single knockout round. I lost 0-1 to PSG in 1 occasion away, and played absolutely diabolical football, despite not losing in all comps for 5+ months. The 2nd Home leg comes around and I win 6-1 and totally ruin them with insane football. A more pressing, positive AI tactic doesnt account for that. The Home and Away differences in terms of numbers might match up and might be ok for SI, but what we see on the pitch is nonsensical. Difficulty should have reason and answers, not frustration and resignation of "ah well, ill just beat them 5-0 in the home leg".

32 minutes ago, harrycarrie said:

End of the day defence is so bad, may as well win 8-5.

Do you play high lines and aggressive defending?

Found with my save that unless I absolutely have the best defenders who are quick then the game punishes me for that, so a more conservative approach helped me.

Still get the odd ball over the top, and have concerns about the space DCs leave between them in a 4 to allow runs in between them, but get the idea that as people get used to the newer ME a lot of the issues are more a case of us getting used to or rethinking approaches that worked in previous versions.

4 minutes ago, dunk105 said:

Do you play high lines and aggressive defending?

Found with my save that unless I absolutely have the best defenders who are quick then the game punishes me for that, so a more conservative approach helped me.

Still get the odd ball over the top, and have concerns about the space DCs leave between them in a 4 to allow runs in between them, but get the idea that as people get used to the newer ME a lot of the issues are more a case of us getting used to or rethinking approaches that worked in previous versions.

Low block, highest defence line. Compresses the space ìnsanely.

BPDs on Cover so you can amplify their pressing even more, and then set them to dribble more. They dribble out of defence to silly levels anyway so I just ramped ot up. Hits times where I would have nearly 10 men camped outside AI's box.

But then I'd rather win say 7-5 than play out a tedious 0-0 draw getting moist at only conceding two shots or something. The game is a spreadsheet, essentially, you need some thrills.

I expect this years version will see more criticism from those who are used to downloading exploitative ME tactics and going through a season without ever changing anything. It's definitely more difficult this year. I'm rather enjoying it actually, winning is a lot more satisfying 

3 minutes ago, SmurfDude said:

I expect this years version will see more criticism from those who are used to downloading exploitative ME tactics and going through a season without ever changing anything. It's definitely more difficult this year. I'm rather enjoying it actually, winning is a lot more satisfying 

last year I broke record and won instantly  Premiership with 99 points as Fulham and I used most of season 3 standard tactics with different shapes and also 2 extra tactics for some cups

To have good results with average teams you cannot use 1 tactic all the time.

It is already like that last few years!

Edited by Meraklija Vujevic

17 minutes ago, Kyznar said:

The problem isnt the difficulty in winning away from home, like the stats suggest. Its how its being played out, and the vast difference between the football on display between Home and Away games. My players with neutral to positive body language and high morale shouldnt instantly forget how to strike a ball cleanly, like they do in Home matches, just because they are Away. Yes the AI is more 'adventurous' and 'positive' in home games, it is noticeable. BUT that doesnt excuse my football being played out completely differently. A potential reasoning of "the AI presses more when at home, so you cant play your own game" just doesnt fly with me, sometimes we are talking about world class players. The amount of times my Liverpool side in the BETA lost the CL away leg 0-1 playing awful football to then win 5-0 at home, was almost EVERY single knockout round. I lost 0-1 to PSG in 1 occasion away, and played absolutely diabolical football, despite not losing in all comps for 5+ months. The 2nd Home leg comes around and I win 6-1 and totally ruin them with insane football. A more pressing, positive AI tactic doesnt account for that. The Home and Away differences in terms of numbers might match up and might be ok for SI, but what we see on the pitch is nonsensical. Difficulty should have reason and answers, not frustration and resignation of "ah well, ill just beat them 5-0 in the home leg".

Just a quick continuation of this post, with shots of that example I used, as it was more extreme than I thought. I had won every match in all comps since November and hadnt lost since mid October. 2 random 0-1 Away losses that displayed football TOTALLY different to the Home matches before and after. Where is momentum? Where is form? Where is philosophy? Why do they just forget it all for an Away match but then instantly remember it again the following Home game? Like I said, difficulty needs reasoning and answers, not pure frustration and helpless resignation.

2eaec87d78ff3866610265ec9d6c5454.png

19 minutes ago, Kyznar said:

Honestly I have never changed my tactic depending on if I play home or away in any FM, and I have never noticed that my results are significantly worse when playing away.

• SI Staff
12 minutes ago, Kyznar said:

Just a quick continuation of this post, with shots of that example I used, as it was more extreme than I thought. I had won every match in all comps since November and hadnt lost since mid October. 2 random 0-1 Away losses that displayed football TOTALLY different to the Home matches before and after. Where is momentum? Where is form? Where is philosophy? Why do they just forget it all for an Away match but then instantly remember it again the following Home game? Like I said, difficulty needs reasoning and answers, not pure frustration and helpless resignation.

2eaec87d78ff3866610265ec9d6c5454.png

If you have some examples that you think look questionable, then please do start a bug report and we can have a look. Although wild results can happen sometimes e.g. when Liverpool's hopes of going the season unbeaten were stopped by.. a 3-0 hammering away to Watford.

Am I the only one seing a lot of "FIFA goals"?? Or missed?

And what I mean is a team scores a goal, game restarts from the center of the field, and the team just rushes forward without anyone reacting and creates a good opportunity to score. Seing a lot of those...

Is it possible to link opposition instructions to one tactic? For example this is my offensive variant of 4231 with corresponding opposition instructions by positions:

image.thumb.jpeg.3b585efea0d4918776041c4bee84edcf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.e2cab49ac6c6ce1507845ad0bc62f6e3.jpeg

DEFENSIVE VARIANT:

image.thumb.jpeg.dce4bf98c0867f5661b77f51a4a8dc6a.jpeg

But when I switch to defensive variant, I want different opposition instructions (for example I trigger press only offensive player positions). But the TC will only remember oppositions instructions which I made for my offensive tactic and when I switch to def variant I have to clear all opposition instructions and adjust for defensive variant. When I switch back to offensive, then I have to manually alter oppositions instructions again. It is frankly pain in the ass. Can I save oppo instr. somehow for each tactic?

1 hour ago, Jack Joyce said:

If you have some examples that you think look questionable, then please do start a bug report and we can have a look. Although wild results can happen sometimes e.g. when Liverpool's hopes of going the season unbeaten were stopped by.. a 3-0 hammering away to Watford.

The irony of this!

2 hours ago, harrycarrie said:

Low block, highest defence line. Compresses the space ìnsanely.

BPDs on Cover so you can amplify their pressing even more, and then set them to dribble more. They dribble out of defence to silly levels anyway so I just ramped ot up. Hits times where I would have nearly 10 men camped outside AI's box.

But then I'd rather win say 7-5 than play out a tedious 0-0 draw getting moist at only conceding two shots or something. The game is a spreadsheet, essentially, you need some thrills.

Interesting as BPD on Cover shouldn't amplify pressing as their role description is to drop deeper and cover behind the line, a stopper pushes up. Def broken if they are pressing more!

1 minute ago, dunk105 said:

Interesting as BPD on Cover shouldn't amplify pressing as their role description is to drop deeper and cover behind the line, a stopper pushes up. Def broken if they are pressing more!

IMO, that has a simple explanation. A defender on Cover will automatically have less pressing than the other duties. So you're just increasing that a bit.

5 hours ago, wazup said:

On the earing

4 hours ago, kevhamster said:

I was given an earring too and it's fairly simple to remove whether creating a new or editing an existing profile.

Edit your profile, click on the accessories tab, click on earring none then immediately select ok and ignore the left or right ear option.

I think the confusion is that when you click earring none it then asks you to select what ear (left or right) and if you select an ear rather than just pressing ok the earring doesn't get removed, hopefully that's all clear and helps.

20 minutes ago, HoChiKim said:

I was given an earring too and it's fairly simple to remove whether creating a new or editing an existing profile.

Edit your profile, click on the accessories tab, click on earring none then immediately select ok and ignore the left or right ear option.

I think the confusion is that when you click earring none it then asks you to select what ear (left or right) and if you select an ear rather than just pressing ok the earring doesn't get removed, hopefully that's all clear and helps.

Read what I said again.

One manager profile on edit the earing option to add or remove wasn't there
My holiday manager the earing option to add or remove is there

38 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

IMO, that has a simple explanation. A defender on Cover will automatically have less pressing than the other duties. So you're just increasing that a bit.

Indeed but if you bump up the PI to higher they do press more than general defend or stopper.

After trying the Beta and after playing with the proper game, I'm sorry to say that the game is quite the same than FM22..and FM21...and FM20...exactly as in the previous editions, the stadia are awful, the commentary is awful, the AI managers are awful (12 opponents, all have fielded the same formation...), the ME maybe have some slight change but GEGENPRESS is still over-biased towards success... I'd like to know what's new, what's REALLY new in FM23 to persuade users to buy it...

38 minutes ago, HoChiKim said:

I just didn't see an option at all to remove it when creating the profile.  I'll have another look tonight, so thanks for the reply.  :)