*Official* Football Manager 2023 Early Access Beta Feedback Thread

1 hour ago, Sassafras said:

Well, I hope I'm wrong, but unfortunately yes. They've done their data development work and now it's about fixing bugs. This seems like a major issue which is not just simply fixed by toggling down some sliders. Let's also not forget that this has been an issue for a long time in FM - long term attribute development has always been favourable to physical attributes, but it still had a good enough improvement in the technicals. Now we're at an extreme version of that, where technicals are barely improving at all. Why would anyone be confident that this will be fixed when the issues before haven't been resolved?

This is a good point. Also, some technical attributes are improving. In previous iterations of the game, as you pointed out, technique did not improve significantly. There is an argument to made that it is the physical attributes that should improve more significantly. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Reiver said:

I finally found a bug that is currently game breaking for me. Playing in the Canadian league, within the wage budget, just won the playoffs, and every single on of my youth intake players refuses to sign because apparently they believe I lack the funds to even get close to their contract demands...

As has been said multiple times, this is the Beta and the chance to report issues to have them looked at.  Please raise this in the relevant forum of the Bug Tracker and it can be looked at- it wont get seen in here.

8 hours ago, mynjdusta said:

I’m colour blind and have always edited the colour settings for things like attributes and position capability. 
love that SI have introduced a general setting but none of them work for me. 
can we please have full customisation options back please?

Those settings can be changed in Preferences via the Skin Colours option and then select what you want to change and a new colour.

I hadn't been planning on buying this year's release because the new features were of little interest to me but I decided to try it out anyway because of the promised improvements to the match engine.  Now I regret that decision.  In my experience the new match engine is worse.  I copied my tactics from previous years, which worked successfully then but in the new me I find my side is often losing by big scores.  I encounter a message saying there is a gap between my defense and midfield no matter how I tweak the tactics and my offense just resorts to "route 1" football and taking long shots from outside the box.  The main problem, however, is that the defense is a disaster, but not only for my side.  In all the matches I've run so far the xg is much less than 1.0, but the scores are always high.  I adjusted my match tactics to a very defensive low block system and that helps some, but this means I have to set tactics to match the me, not the match.  I also notice that the ai for team managers is still a problem.  Various talented players were released on free waivers by their sides, including Gareth Bale. In the present condition I consider the current game to be not worth playing so I expect to see a lot of effort put into fixes.

Considering that there's so much player/agent interaction stuff added, I just can't believe I don't get a notification when the player I'm bidding for gets a new contract offer from his current club after my buyout clause bid is accepted.

So I can improve my contract offer and compare it to how much the current club offered.

1 minute ago, Insert_Goal_Here said:

Enjoying so far, some minor things like relationships with journalists seemingly starting at hatred. But can someone remind me, the unbroken orange line and dashed line between players, what do they mean?

Like on the tactic screen? It means they've had a few bad games playing together ie a bad partnership, the green lines are lovely to see but you can pull it around after a few good games 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Like on the tactic screen? It means they've had a few bad games playing together ie a bad partnership, the green lines are lovely to see but you can pull it around after a few good games 

Yeah on the tactics screen. Both the unbroken and dashed line mean that? Is there a difference between the 2?

3 minutes ago, Insert_Goal_Here said:

Yeah on the tactics screen. Both the unbroken and dashed line mean that? Is there a difference between the 2?

Green line = Good partnerships

Broken lines = Bad partnership

Think of it as form between two players 

The English transfer deadline window being always at 1st of september while most other European leagues (Germany, Spain, Italy, NL, etc.) close at 31st of August annoys the hell out of me. All those damn English clubs trying to nab my players on their "deadline day" while mine has already closed.... Ugh. Can't even respond with the extra budget if a player leaves like that.

edit: Argh the French deadline day also is at the 1st forever, they are joining the party too. And then a few days later its the Belgian clubs....

Deadline should be equal for most (if not all) of Europe like it is in the winter transfer window..... Especially on the long term (this current season is a outlier....). This is even made more important looking at how AI looks at deadline day, and will do more transfers on that day... So having different dates in Europe throughout the game creates a huge imbalance when it comes to transfers.

Edited by T-IceMan

6 hours ago, albertluque said:

Really annoying seeing players keep getting contract offers when there is no interest after I've offered one. Sure this would definitely happen with players who have agents but I'm giving guys contracts who have no agents and Dulwich Hamlet turn up making offers.

This is my experience as well.

I must have offered about 15 different players contracts and managed to sign one of them. Basically makes non league unplayable as it’s more or less impossible to sign anyone.

Edited by phillewis1

4 hours ago, david_kax said:

With all due respect, I don't know where you see those dribbles and that IF/IW work properly... When IF/IW see a defender, stop and pass.

Off ball they move well, when there is no defender nearby and they can do one on one in front of the goalkeeper they cut inside and face the goalkeeper (In FM22 they turned and passed back, it was much worse)... But when they receive the ball with a defender close they almost never try to dribble him, they make a first movement inside but there they almost always look for the pass and very rarely continue driving the ball by running inside or trying to dribble. I have seen more than 20 videos, some with several matches, and I have seen in total 4/5 plays of IF/IW trying to dribble their defender. More than FM22? Yes. Enough? absolutely not

I'm glad others can enjoy the game even though this role is broken, I wish I could too, but if we accept that a completely broken role in FM22 in FM23 is a little less broken, we say it works great, they will never fix it.

Same for me

I see it a lot in FM23 but not enoguh

I really hope to see in the full version more dribbles and cutting inside

Its the beauty of the ME

4 hours ago, david_kax said:

With all due respect, I don't know where you see those dribbles and that IF/IW work properly... When IF/IW see a defender, stop and pass.

Off ball they move well, when there is no defender nearby and they can do one on one in front of the goalkeeper they cut inside and face the goalkeeper (In FM22 they turned and passed back, it was much worse)... But when they receive the ball with a defender close they almost never try to dribble him, they make a first movement inside but there they almost always look for the pass and very rarely continue driving the ball by running inside or trying to dribble. I have seen more than 20 videos, some with several matches, and I have seen in total 4/5 plays of IF/IW trying to dribble their defender. More than FM22? Yes. Enough? absolutely not

I'm glad others can enjoy the game even though this role is broken, I wish I could too, but if we accept that a completely broken role in FM22 in FM23 is a little less broken, we say it works great, they will never fix it.

I felt the same way. Write to the bug tracker.

I don't want to bag the Squad Planner because I do think it has the potential to be a good addition to the game, I have to be honest though and say at the moment what's been put forward is very top level and quite superficial in terms of a new feature. It lacks basic functionality and is a long way off being a useful tool in the game. If it isn't embellished quickly it runs the risk of being irrelevant like some past additions to the game.

I've already mentioned the need for the ability to include and highlight "out of contract players" those still in your plans but for whatever reason you've held off offering a new deal. At present you can add them manually but there needs to be an ability to highlight/flag their contract status.

The fact that you can't check your squad against competition registration rules from this module seems like a glaring omission, especially given that Miles said it was introduced to prevent people making registration mistakes......it needs the ability to check against your league competition and any you are looking to qualify for in those future seasons. It needs a basic squad view panel, total number of players. 

The viewing panels need to be editable so you can add your own specific criteria to them. 

The ability to see your squad as a list with all players for next season and the season after. 

Lets say I need a new 1st choice CB next season and I have four potential targets for that role. So I add my preferred option into the 1st choice slot for next season, is that it? What about my other options in the event I don't get my main man. I can't add my 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice options for that role in there because it throws everything else out, it's not designed that way. In the event you are occupying a slot in the planner with a potential new signing it has to be more flexible. We need the ability to add multiple entries (targets) under each slot entry for this to be truly useful. So my 1st choice CB for next season will hopefully be one of these 4 players in the 1st choice slot dropdown for example. The squad planner should use whoever you have in the top slot when calculating the competition registration rules but my additional targets in the event I don't land my first choice should also be in that module. I notice the Transfer Targets List under the DOF is still in existence, the planner should have the functionality to ensure that can be removed from the game.

Other people have mentioned other improvements and I'm sure there will be even more after playing for a few weeks but this would be a stride in the right direction.

The Squad Planner as it stands just feels very rudimentary and a missed opportunity. 

Edited by janrzm

6 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Can someone explain this to me

Is it for or against you?

Which sort of roles and tactics are you using?

Hello sir , I am using a 4-2-4 tactic , one midfielder dlp and a bbm , and I am using the instructions shorter passing , players seem to think its a good idea to boot the ball up the field even without opponents pressure at times , I rarely ever see build ups from the middle of the pitch I have not instructed to play wide. 

9 hours ago, trueblue.85 said:

Was looking forward to a save in Uruguay this year as never played previously as they didn't have a cup, and they have finally introduced one this season but not in the game :seagull:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Uruguay

Just wait until full release, even if SI don't add it by then it surely won't be long before somebody releases a database file including it!

5 hours ago, Steve1977beyond said:

Tom FM simulated 100 years and the top flight was littered with lower league teams and Costa Rica winning the league.

To be fair if it had stayed exactly the same that would be even more worrying! I'm only up to 2111 myself and I'm only running Ligue 1 (wanted to see how long it'd take for somebody other than PSG to win! It took until 2039 for Rennes to beat them to the title), still plenty of familiar faces though.

20221024113043_1.thumb.jpg.0924652b2818f004a4a48e0d2f9e9ed8.jpg

Ironically Grenoble are owned by a Qatari while PSG are now French owned. Marseille not being there does stand out, but they were only relegated in 2110, are back for the 11/12 season and were in the Europa League during 10/11 thanks to winning the Cup the season they were relegated, so they're still doing well enough.

I assume you mean Costa Rica won the World Cup? Sounds good to me! New nations rising and falling is a big part of football. Plus they have been fairly strong in the last couple decades IRL, not WC winner strong, but one of the best teams from outside Europe/South America at least.

Here are my WC winners for reference.
20221024113347_1.thumb.jpg.f3eb20c6d98072f64758768b647bd551.jpg

A little concerning that in 23 WCs there wasn't a single South American winner, only 3 runners up too! But otherwise I'm pretty happy with that. France a bit too dominant perhaps, but as the only league loaded that makes sense. North America rising to prominence in the 2050s, Bulgaria having a golden generation during the 2070s and Australia dominating the 2090s all seem interesting outcomes. None of them are impossible IRL either, even if they seem unlikely right now.

5 hours ago, Domoboy23 said:

Does player morale matter anymore? It always seems too high. Same for FM22.

My 13 game goal drought striker... Good morale... You'd think it would be very low, in a team also with one win from six.

The game needs modifiers. A lot of the cool stuff they add is really superficial nowadays. You can literally change your starting 11 every year and then have good cohesion by the midpoint of the season. only way to drop morale off players is to **** them off in a talk lol

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

1 hour ago, rusty217 said:

To be fair if it had stayed exactly the same that would be even more worrying! I'm only up to 2111 myself and I'm only running Ligue 1 (wanted to see how long it'd take for somebody other than PSG to win! It took until 2039 for Rennes to beat them to the title), still plenty of familiar faces though.

20221024113043_1.thumb.jpg.0924652b2818f004a4a48e0d2f9e9ed8.jpg

Ironically Grenoble are owned by a Qatari while PSG are now French owned. Marseille not being there does stand out, but they were only relegated in 2110, are back for the 11/12 season and were in the Europa League during 10/11 thanks to winning the Cup the season they were relegated, so they're still doing well enough.

I assume you mean Costa Rica won the World Cup? Sounds good to me! New nations rising and falling is a big part of football. Plus they have been fairly strong in the last couple decades IRL, not WC winner strong, but one of the best teams from outside Europe/South America at least.

Here are my WC winners for reference.
20221024113347_1.thumb.jpg.f3eb20c6d98072f64758768b647bd551.jpg

A little concerning that in 23 WCs there wasn't a single South American winner, only 3 runners up too! But otherwise I'm pretty happy with that. France a bit too dominant perhaps, but as the only league loaded that makes sense. North America rising to prominence in the 2050s, Bulgaria having a golden generation during the 2070s and Australia dominating the 2090s all seem interesting outcomes. None of them are impossible IRL either, even if they seem unlikely right now.

Australia is impossible 😊 wont ever happen in real life due to lack of Government support and the bias the media has 

5 hours ago, phillewis1 said:

This is my experience as well.

I must have offered about 15 different players contracts and managed to sign one of them. Basically makes non league unplayable as it’s more or less impossible to sign anyone.

Ironically, I do the same in non league. If I see either interest or a bid from a team that is similar level as my team, I will bid as well since my scouting is limited. Im sure word of mouth gets around fast when everyone is looking for the next star to help their team win. It makes since the AI can do it if the user can.

18 minutes ago, prot651 said:

Australia is impossible 😊 wont ever happen in real life due to lack of Government support and the bias the media has 

We're talking 70 years from now though. There will be a whole new government and media by then! You really think things can't change for the better with Australian football?

Edited by rusty217

21 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

We're talking 70 years from now though. There will be a whole new government and media by then! You really think things can't change for the better with Australian football?

Nope .... Honestly the league is only just hannging in there now . Many people who love the game hate the league including me . Its way below the highly backed Aussie Rules and Rugby . The only time spectators come out is if its an international of some importance

1 minute ago, alian62 said:

Nope .... Honestly the league is only just hannging in there now . Many people who love the game hate the league including me . Its way below the highly backed Aussie Rules and Rugby . The only time spectators come out is if its an international of some importance

The league doesn't necessarily have to improve for the national team to do well though. Could just be that all the promising Australians start moving to Europe ASAP.

On that note is there any actual link between Dortmund and Australia? Dortmund always seem to produce a large number of high quality Australian newgens in my games :D

3 minutes ago, rusty217 said:

The league doesn't necessarily have to improve for the national team to do well though. Could just be that all the promising Australians start moving to Europe ASAP.

On that note is there any actual link between Dortmund and Australia? Dortmund always seem to produce a large number of high quality Australian newgens in my games :D

There is no affiliation with any A-league team but there is with a NSW League team . 

1 hour ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Ironically, I do the same in non league. If I see either interest or a bid from a team that is similar level as my team, I will bid as well since my scouting is limited. Im sure word of mouth gets around fast when everyone is looking for the next star to help their team win. It makes since the AI can do it if the user can.

I’m not saying it should never happen but it shouldn’t happen with every single player you try to sign.

SI. Realism does not always equal fun.

Squad depth was so much better than squad planner. All that was needed was to make it customizable. I miss it and squad planner is a conveluted mess. Please bring the squad depth tab back. What's the point in spending ages implementing these squad plans for 2 seasons away when it changes so much each season anyway. Once glance at squad depth is all we really need.

The UI is full of so many clicks and info and menus etc. We play the game for transfers and Tactics, not clicks. I like the fact that you make certain areas of the ui accessible from other areas now, but in all honesty as a whole it's a mess.

Media and player interactions are such a chore and so repetitive. I get maybe that's realistic, but this is a game. Not to mention how broken they are. I told my CB who scored 2 goal in the previous game that his performance was great. He then got angry and stormed off because he didn't think so....

I along with many others just send our Ass man to them now.

These player and media interactions were added to the game to increase immersion but actually detract from it by being so tedious and broken.

Match engine is still broken. All the usual tactics from previous versions are still meta. The new "low block" and attack through the centre promises don't exist.

Graphics. I don't care all that much for them, but they are tragically bad. There are mobile games with better graphics. It's 2022 and games from 2005 look better. I get you are worried about alienating areas of the user base without the hardware, but just make the graphics more customisable so they run better. Eg low settings or just 2D only for low hardware specs. It feels like you are using the "players don't have good pcs" as an excused to ignore it.

Scouting. Maybe it's just me but it's just a mess. There so many tabs and assignments here there and everywhere. I think the way it was done years ago was better.

Training, Set pieces. Why have these not been touched? Please give us a genuine reason as these are the biggest demands of the fans every year. I can only think that Set pieces are ignored because you are worried if you give the players too much control, they will then exploit the engine?

AI squad building.  This is still as awful as ever. Arsenal will spend £50m on a player and play him 10 times in 4 seasons. Again it seems like this has had no work. AI also low balls the user for offers.

Pros? The CL license has been implemented well. This is what we want. Immersion without it being a chore. 

10 hours ago, Mcfc1894 said:

25 yellow cards for walker something defiantly does need tweaking

20221023_204426.jpg

Yeah, that seems a bit over the top indeed 😳 Mid season Camavinga was fined (code of conduct) for having received his third yellow - no other players in my team had had three yellow cards at that point.

7 minutes ago, angelo994 said:

I can’t understand how something as big as this has been missed by the QA testers.

Spotting something is very different to spotting, investigating, making changes, running tests, making more changes, more tests.

It was spotted - SI indicated it was a known issue. They're working on it already. :thup:

10 hours ago, Longhorn said:

I hadn't been planning on buying this year's release because the new features were of little interest to me but I decided to try it out anyway because of the promised improvements to the match engine.  Now I regret that decision.  In my experience the new match engine is worse.  I copied my tactics from previous years, which worked successfully then but in the new me I find my side is often losing by big scores.  I encounter a message saying there is a gap between my defense and midfield no matter how I tweak the tactics and my offense just resorts to "route 1" football and taking long shots from outside the box.  The main problem, however, is that the defense is a disaster, but not only for my side.  In all the matches I've run so far the xg is much less than 1.0, but the scores are always high.  I adjusted my match tactics to a very defensive low block system and that helps some, but this means I have to set tactics to match the me, not the match.  I also notice that the ai for team managers is still a problem.  Various talented players were released on free waivers by their sides, including Gareth Bale. In the present condition I consider the current game to be not worth playing so I expect to see a lot of effort put into fixes.

You can and should refund if not satisfied, no point ranking up sales if you are not happy and wont be playing. Steam allows before 2h mark to refund fully the game wihtout asking.

37 minutes ago, Troels Jensen said:

Yeah, that seems a bit over the top indeed 😳 Mid season Camavinga was fined (code of conduct) for having received his third yellow - no other players in my team had had three yellow cards at that point.

IRL Gianluca Mancini (Roma) had 14 yellows twice in 31/33 games, so around 0.5 per game. In 37-38 league games in PL that would account for total 19, so yes a "little bit" off.