England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

Hart

Clyne, Cahill, Chambers, Baines

Henderson, Wilshere, Delph

Sterling Rooney Lallana

Maybe something like that. More likely Welbeck instead of Lallana

I'd like to see Clyne get a game, great game to play in. We also have the Sunday game so one of Welbeck or Sterling could start and play 60 whereas I'd like to see Lallana get the 90.

I am hoping for at least 5-0 and no silly cards or anything and no 30 mins in and we're struggling to break them down. Danger with this kind of opposition is you almost want that great goal, work it really close to their box when often if you just have a shot you have a chance of a goal or it rebounding to someone nearby. Hopefully we'll get some early shots in

If we get an early goal it could be higher. Hopefully Rooney notches a couple and gets closer to the England record

Piece about England goal scoring record/Rooney:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/oct/08/wayne-rooney-england-scoring-record-bobby-charlton

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Sam Wallace in the Independent is asking why San Marino even bother turning up to play England.

As ever, the enduring question when it comes to San Marino is: why do they bother?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/england-v-san-marino-minnows-fly-in-for-a-good-day-out-and-the-usual-thrashing-9783479.html

It's followed up by a brief exchange on twitter which I thought was interesting. Author/journalist James Montague offered to send him a free copy of his book which is explicitly about underdogs tying to qualify for the World Cup.

James Montague: i'll send you a copy of Thirty One Nil, about World Cup underdogs, if you like. Some answers in there. But to paraphrase: the true spirit of football, indeed sport, is better represented by San Marino that Wayne Rooney.

Sam Wallace: er no, international football should be about high standards. This is a jolly for a select few, protected by a Uefa vote

James Montague: It is, at the finals. Until then it's about upsets, underdogs, exotic away trips, 13 second goals...It's about far more than the best. Otherwise all we'd ever watch is an international super league of 10 teams

Have a free ticket for tonight's game so am hoping for goals - a nice early one would be good, should set us up nicely.

My team would be:

Forster (why not give him a game?)

Clyne

Cahill

Jags

Baines

Henderson

Wilshere

Delph

Sterling

Rooney

Welbeck

in a diamond/4-3-1-2 formation, maybe at halftime rest a couple like Sterling and Rooney for Sunday's game.

I know, stupid attitude "why do teams have to play" etc etc

The underlying reason for this attitude is generally cause it takes something away from the league campaign. Why do Chelsea have to play Burnley, why are the group stages there for the CL, just let the big teams through

It's stupid but I am sure Sam Wallace thinks he's tapped into the mind of the people there as it's an opinion voiced a lot, even by higher ups in the game. I don't mind playing these teams at all, it's all part of international football. What I do mind is the expanded Euros that makes qualifying a stroll for big sides and even mid-upper sides now

Who the hell is everyone else to say what it means to these others.

Have a free ticket for tonight's game so am hoping for goals - a nice early one would be good, should set us up nicely.

My team would be:

Forster (why not give him a game?)

Clyne

Cahill

Jags

Baines

Henderson

Wilshere

Delph

Sterling

Rooney

Welbeck

in a diamond/4-3-1-2 formation, maybe at halftime rest a couple like Sterling and Rooney for Sunday's game.

I would give Forster a game tbh but think he'll just stick with Hart for both games

Could play Sterling in goal. That's how pointless the keeper decision will be.

As long as it is 4-1-2-1-2 with the front three being Sterling/Rooney/Welbeck I don't care what the rest is. In fact I'd even have Delph, Henderson and Wilshere starting too as that is our strongest side atm (Sturridge for Welbeck at a toss). They need all the games together getting use to the system against a variety of sides as that'll most likely be the side that eventually goes to the Euro16 unless someone emerges to challenge Delph or one of Henderson/Wilshere are shoved in the 'DM' role to accomodate someone like Barkley.

This has got 5-0 written all over it.

We won't be convinicing but it'll be enough.

Really this should be the minimum anyone expects. No easy games in international football? Rubbish! San Marino have no chance of beating or drawing with England. This is an easy game no matter how you look at it and why can't England, if they play with a high tempo and a high energy, bang in 9 or 10?

Rooney will probably score a few, which will cement his place in the team for a few more games before everyone remembers he's awful again.

I never have understood the Rooney hate.

Yeah he has never really performed at a major tournament. But in the last 8 years, who has?

He's quite clearly our best player.

Jagielka has been terrible in defence this season. Says it all about the national team.

I'd have played Chambers centrally and given Clyne the RB slot. It's San Marino ffs.

Same here

Clyne will start against Estonia but should have started tonight. Would have done no harm starting Forster as well.

Will he? Even more reason to start tonight, get another game under his belt

Yeah, good point with Chambers not being in it to begin with

Doesn't make much sense. Clyne right back and Chambers centre in this of all games really :/

None of it makes any sense. Why pick younger players at all? We already know what Jagielka offers, ie naff all.

Archived