England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

He did well there, I agree. Moved infield taking the defender that was half-watching Sterling with him, and then passed it out for Sterling that was now free. Intelligent play.
Good to see you not getting defensive, as some fans might. :thup: Yeah, I was kinda slagging Rooney for not having the pace to eat the defenders, but he's mature enough that he made to intelligent decision, and played the pass that gave Sterling the space to create the goal. A very encouraging sign for England.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Next game is in October - a month of abusing Pardew before you can start having a go at Roy for whoever he hasn't picked in the squad :D

As long as he keeps the same formation as tonight and has Clyne in the next squad then I can't complain till it all goes to **** in the summer of 2016 :D

Only way the diamond is going to work is if they find a actual DM

Thing is, there are none in existence bar Carrick and Barry, neither of which are good for the NT.

The next available are, uhhh... George Thorne and Nathaniel Chalobah :D

Tom Huddlestone as Brett suggested, being serious for a minute.

Good to see you not getting defensive, as some fans might. :thup: Yeah, I was kinda slagging Rooney for not having the pace to eat the defenders, but he's mature enough that he made to intelligent decision, and played the pass that gave Sterling the space to create the goal. A very encouraging sign for England.

He simply doesn't have the pace to burn any more, but he's an intelligent and creative player, which is why many think he can do well in central midfield when he passes 30.

Besides, it would have been pretty silly to try to go at it himself there, with two pacy players burning down on each side of defence.

Of course you do.

Who else is there? Most of the suggestions people make aren't actual defensive midfielders, Jack Cork is. Okay he isn't first choice for us as we have Schneiderlin and Wanyama, but Cork is still a very effective DM. I did also say it highlights a flaw in England's talent pool.

Thing is, there are none in existence bar Carrick and Barry, neither of which are good for the NT.

Cattermole has absolutely owned City's midfield the last few times he's played them.

Yet the supposedly 3rd best side also lose so Estonia are England's closest rivals for top let alone 2nd, hmmm

I'd say Estonia should be seen as the third best side - last Euros they finished second in their qualifying group after all and reached the playoffs. Even if they only drew with Gibraltar in Tallinn earlier this year.

Great result that, and not a bad performance either. Cahill, Henderson, Welbeck all put in excellent performances but you can see there is more to get out of this team. If we could find someone to sit infront of the back 4 that diamond set up looks to suit us very well.

As long as he keeps the same formation as tonight and has Clyne in the next squad then I can't complain till it all goes to **** in the summer of 2016 :D

I hope he messes up sometime between now and then - not sure if bottling up your feelings for nearly 2 years is healthy mate :D

I'd say Estonia should be seen as the third best side - last Euros they finished second in their qualifying group after all and reached the playoffs. Even if they only drew with Gibraltar in Tallinn earlier this year.

Well i'll settle for them being the biggest worry for England, think we might just be ok

And George Throne is out for the season :(

Delph was playing fine to begin with, was just making properly stupid tackles for the first 10/20 minutes, got booked and went a touch quiet. After that, second half in particular, he played well.

Twice the player Cleverley is.

And in fairness to MLG, if Jay fecking Bothroyd can get an England cap in the absence of players in his position at the time, Jack Cork is hardly the worst suggestion in the world in the DM position where we're definitely lacking.

That was enjoyable. Great result but was an enjoyable game. We did let them get between the centre backs a few times though and some of their runs caused us problems but they are a good side and we did end up with a clean sheet. Cahill is superb. I am happy with Jones there too. All the talk of Stones not rampaging forward, perhaps it's something as simple as being told to not do so

I thought Delph was fine. I'd be happy to have him play again in the Quals. He was a little rash at the start but gained composure the longer he was on the pitch. He would burst forward with the ball, showed some confidence and I liked that. Wilshere can be a worry in that role. We were a little lapse with possession a few times and it almost tripped us up, have to watch that

Sterling seemed like a mix of crushing pressure of expectation and trying too hard. He contributed enough though. Couple of nice breakaway goals. Rooney was fine but not outstanding

Some nice ranking points there too (much needed) ... main competition in the group and away from home and 3 points and and clean sheet. Can't complain too much really. We definitely deserved the win :thup:

Hmm this may be somewhat controversial but I'm not sure Barkley should be an England starter. Unless they drop him into the centre of the pitch instead of Delph, he hasn't really got a place - Sterling the superior choice to play in the hole.

George Thorne = 21 years old, 9 Premier League games

Nathaniel Chalobah = 18 years old, 0 Premier League games

Tom Huddlestone = Now that would be a sad reflection of English football if he is the future of our central midfield

James Ward-Prowse = 19 years old and has already played in 49 Premier League games, has been captaining the England under 21's and was voted 3rd best player at the Toulan tournament in the summer

Maybe 4 or 5 months out :/

Ouch. That's a tough break for him!

Just realised, maybe Jack Rodwell could be in with a shout of the DM position. Still young so could be there for years to come. A very talented but unlucky player so far in his career... being at Sunderland might be the perfect platform for him to impress and be taken seriously (I feel people think of him as a joke somewhat considering his lack of play time in the last 2 years).

George Thorne = 21 years old, 9 Premier League games

Nathaniel Chalobah = 18 years old, 0 Premier League games

Tom Huddlestone = Now that would be a sad inditement of English football if he is the future of our central midfield

James Ward-Prowse = 19 years old and has already played in 49 Premier League games, has been captaining the England under 21's and was voted 3rd best player at the Toulan tournament in the summer

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Just writing off Tom Huddlestone like that but bigging JWP up as the best thing since sliced bread. Give over, you've become a parody of yourself. JWP isn't even a holding midfielder ffs :D

Oh and in case you didn't realise my comments about Thorne and Chalobah weren't serious. It it wayyy too soon in their careers for them to be touted as English internationals, nevermind England starters...

Hmm this may be somewhat controversial but I'm not sure Barkley should be an England starter. Unless they drop him into the centre of the pitch instead of Delph, he hasn't really got a place - Sterling the superior choice to play in the hole.
agreed, Barkley has to take a more restricted role, I'd guess in a two-man centre with Henderson. Sterling and any two from Sturridge, Rooney and Welbeck the front three.

Just realised, maybe Jack Rodwell could be in with a shout of the DM position. Still young so could be there for years to come. A very talented but unlucky player so far in his career... being at Sunderland might be the perfect platform for him to impress and be taken seriously (I feel people think of him as a joke somewhat considering his lack of play time in the last 2 years).

Would take something special for a Sunderland player to get picked, in all likelihood.

agreed, Barkley has to take a more restricted role, I'd guess in a two-man centre with Henderson. Sterling and any two from Sturridge, Rooney and Welbeck the front three.

Yup, I agree here.

Like I said a bit above, I feel that it should be Welbeck/Sturridge or Welbeck/Rooney - I feel that Sturridge/Rooney doesn't work too well. Saw it in the WC where there was absolutely no chemistry between the pair of them.

He won't play DM for us as we have the second best DM in the country (after Jack Cork)

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Just writing off Tom Huddlestone like that but bigging JWP up as the best thing since sliced bread. Give over, you've become a parody of yourself. JWP isn't even a holding midfielder ffs :D

Ward-Prowse can play there and has done for England under 21's. He was voted 3rd best player at the Toulan tournament in the summer for a reason, he's very good.

james-ward-prowse-toulon-prizes148-1593523_478x359.jpg

3rd best player trophy and best goal trophy (vs Brazil)

Also how many 19 year olds can you name that have played in 49 Premier League games? People go on about Nathaniel Chalobah, but he is yet to play a single minute of Premier League football, Ward-Prowse has significantly more experience at a higher level.

Would take something special for a Sunderland player to get picked, in all likelihood.

This season, perhaps. But I feel Sunderland are a team on the rise and in 12 months I think their players will be viewed in a totally different manner (that of a top half side).

Archived