England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

@MLG - well it sorta is relevant. No support for a lone wide man is not going to make him look good, same way no support for a lone striker doesn't make him look good either.

Clyne doesn't need support ahead of him, he runs at pace with the ball and scares the **** out of the opposing players which opens up space for teammates. Stones knows he can't do that so he doesn't even bother attempting it and takes the safe option of passing it backwards. Stones is simply not a modern fullback.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clyne's good but you're building him up as a Messi-lite there. He's not going to beat Ricardo Rodriguez and he's definitely not going to beat Mehmedi/Shaqiri (whichever happens to be down the left at that point) and RR, because he's just not capable (very few fullbacks would be though without any support whatsoever).

Stones is a CB, not a FB - if we're not gonna bring Chambers on then swap positions with Jones. Jones is better at CB but he'll do a better job at RB.

Didn't tune in till 25 minutes gone, just Welbecks pass, shocking.

I'd probably say Jones CB Stones RB is better than Stones CB Jones RB. Both are **** at RB but at least Jones is a really good CB, whereas Stones isn't quite the same level (yet).

But yeah, think a change at RB is necessary. Doing alright defensively but hampering your attacks.

Clyne's good but you're building him up as a Messi-lite there. He's not going to beat Ricardo Rodriguez and he's definitely not going to beat Mehmedi/Shaqiri (whichever happens to be down the left at that point) and RR, because he's just not capable (very few fullbacks would be though without any support whatsoever).

Only Kolarov and Zabaleta got more assists than Clyne last season from defence in the Premier League. In two years of watching him in the Premier League, I'm yet to see an opposing winger or fullback beat Clyne for pace.

What am I watching? Stones had the ball, passed to Welbeck, Welbeck passed straight back, not one of the midfielders was at in that center circle ready to collect the ball, they were all stationary sat behind the Swiss midfield. Have we regressed that much?

Only Kolarov and Zabaleta got more assists than Clyne last season from defence in the Premier League. In two years of watching him in the Premier League, I'm yet to see an opposing winger or fullback beat Clyne for pace.

Pure pace alone is not enough to take on two men, especially when one of them is arguably the best young LB in world football.

Clyne playing with Lallana and Davies supporting him is always going to make him look better than Clyne playing isolated on the right wing with nobody coming short to play one-twos or anything like that.

Pure pace alone is not enough to take on two men, especially when one of them is arguably the best young LB in world football.

Clyne playing with Lallana and Davies supporting him is always going to make him look better than Clyne playing isolated on the right wing with nobody coming short to play one-twos or anything like that.

Correct, but Clyne also has the ball skills to beat players towards the top of the Premier League. Even Chambers with less pace than Clyne would be more of an attacking threat than Stones. Stones is slowing down our attacks every single time by putting his foot on the ball and passing backwards, its painful to watch.

Correct, but Clyne also has the ball skills to beat players towards the top of the Premier League. Even Chambers with less pace than Clyne would be more of an attacking threat than Stones. Stones is slowing down our attacks every single time by putting his foot on the ball and passing backwards, its painful to watch.

I agree it should be Clyne/Chambers (said it last page) but I don't think they would do a great deal better than Stones is doing because he's getting not support.

Welbeck doing it for England. Again.
He's one of those rare players whose international form far surpasses his club form. I'm as hot and cold on him as he is on the pitch; one day I think he's utter mince, but then stick him in an England shirt and he's the real deal.

Archived