England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

See for me I can just about understands playing people out of position if they're your best players and they need to fit in the system, but Stones?

Wilshere also needs to reduce his average number of touches per dribble by 2 or 3. He either plays first time or takes about 8 touches with the last one being at the last possible moment. It's why he's injured so often as he tries to invite lunges. Won't work as an anchor ( or anywhere tbh)

Decent start tho

Regarding Hart's distribution: it's not awful, but it is extremely inconsistent. At times he plays the best kicks/throws of any GK I've seen then at other times it's far too short/off target/too long and just downright miserable. He used to be terrible but in recent years he has improved it quite a bit. It's clear it's not a 'natural talent' to him, which is perhaps why he is so inconsistent.

Rooney has done well so far tonight. Been the best player if you ask me, thus far. Welbeck's 'square ball' to Sterling was hideous. Should be shot for that :D

Wilshere been the worst England player tonight imo. Just doing typical Wilshere-esque turns into opposition players, misplacing passes and looking stroppy whenever he can.

Does John Stones know how to do anything other than pass the ball backwards? He might be an option at centre back, but he lacks a lot of the attributes needed to be a modern fullback. At least if Nathaniel Clyne was playing he'd attack the opposing fullback and threaten the opposition with pace.

Problem with Stones is much the same problem Baines would have if the team was flipped - he's got nobody ahead of him and the central players are not moving into nearby space.

Delph, Henderson and Wilshere are constantly available to allow Baines to play one-twos and get down the line. I don't think we've seen anyone but Wilshere go near Stones on the right...

Does John Stones know how to do anything other than pass the ball backwards? He might be an option at centre back, but he lacks a lot of the attributes needed to be a modern fullback. At least if Nathaniel Clyne was playing he'd attack the opposing fullback and threaten the opposition with pace.

Tbh, I'd rather have had Calum Chambers there than John Stones, think Stones' future is at centre-back.

Draw will be acceptable here, very unlikely to drop points against San Marino, Slovenia, Estonia and Lithuania. This is really to decide who wins the group.

To be fair to Stones he often doesn't have many options going forward and if he ran down the line with it he would have to take 2 players on.
Problem with Stones is much the same problem Baines would have if the team was flipped - he's got nobody ahead of him and the central players are not moving into nearby space.

Delph, Henderson and Wilshere are constantly available to allow Baines to play one-twos and get down the line. I don't think we've seen anyone but Wilshere go near Stones on the right...

I don't see why that is an issue, the problem is not his options from teammates but that Stones just doesn't have the ball skills or pace to dribble the ball past people. He knows that is the case, so he doesn't even bother trying to attack and takes the safe option of a pass backwards time after time.

He should not be used at right back. Clyne or Chambers are able to perform as a modern fullback should, Stones is a centre back shoehorned out wide.

I can see a future as an England player for Stones, but it doesn't take a genius to see he isn't a natural right back. So why on earth is a Hodgson playing him there?

Archived