England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's just specific to Cattermole though :p

I don't mind him tbh and he's as much right to be near a squad as Colback

I'm only playing the reverse role of the idiots who won't even consider him yet haven't seen him play for a few years and have developed an opinion based on media hyperbole

Any Sunderland fan would have told you BEFORE Colback moved that Cattermole was twice as effective as Colback AND in a position england actually need rather than ANOTHER player who's sole purpose is possession. This is nothing against Colback who is a great little player, Cattermole is just much more important to a team. He's the kind of player who people will scoff at until he's more or less singlehandedly kept their team in the top flight. Our form under PDC and Cattermoles absence as such are pretty clear.

We have these group games coming up against the likes of San Marino. I think this is the perfect time to play 7 or 8 of the first team and then try some fringe players out or players we want to take a look at

Cattermole, give Fraser Forster a cap, Luke Shaw can start and so on

Not entirely sure what we'll learn from Catermole or Forster against the likes of San Marino ffs :D

If anything it's best to get the likes of Wilshere etc continually playing together.

Squad for majority of qualifiers would expect to be injury free (hopefully).

Gk: Hart, Forster, Foster

Def: Shaw, Baines, Clyne, Walker, Jones, Stones, Cahil, Chambers/Jags

Mf: Wilshere, Henderson, Milner, Delph, Ox, Barkley, Lallana, Sterling,

St: Rooney, Sturridge, Walcott, Welbeck,

Well, we'll learn as much or more than them playing together in a friendly. It's a full international cap, the game does matter and it's 1, 2 or 3 players playing alongside the core group

They'll be nothing in such a group game that will do much for Wilshere that kicks on to the next, tougher internationals

Problem is during friendlies the newcomers don't really get to play with the core first team, they tend to all sort of be jumbled in together. At least in a meaningful game they will get to play with the players they would actually play with in another international

For some of these players to get a look in their position is going to have to be decimated by injuries to stand a chance. Ings for example or any new striker would need 3 of the attackers to be injured to get a chance, as I'd fancy Lambert/Rodriguez if both fit to be ahead of them coming into the squad. Can't just turn around for a double header and go to one of the four I picked if all fit, sorry not picked as want to see Ings. They'd be pissed off (assuming they care about playing for England).

Talk that Hodgson's considering calling up Tyler Blackett has upset a few people. My thoughts on this: why the hell not? It's a pair of nothing games against the bottom two seeds (OK Estonia can be good but they've been bobbins of late) and the kid's obviously got potential, if he turns out to be great he can be a useful player but at this point, Jamaica will almost certainly be waiting in the wings ready to call him up and we've done worse with Wilfried Zaha's call up to stop him picking Cote d'Ivoire. The only question is why he hasn't done the same with Eric Dier yet as Portugal are known to want him.

Exactly. Because Dier in my view at least is a distance ahead of Blackett. Just because hes playing for United that he suddenly is considered for a call up. We're 12th ffs, and Blackett wasnt doing wonders either. I've been on the Clyne bandwagon for about a year now yet Chambers gets a call up because he just signed with Arsenal. Colback's call up, although I rate him, is a total mystery to me. I can go on about the England selection and Hodgson for paragraphs so I'll just stop here. I don't know why I care so much, I'm not even English.

Only because he's at Man Utd. If he turned in the performances he has so far for a lesser side (bottom half) he'd be absolutely no where near the squad. Example, Caulker. If he was at a top side he'd be a regular in that squad. Likewise Shawcross even though he didn't impress the game against Sweden but I'd be willing to give him another try as he has looked to improve some more.

If England are so desperate for a right back why not just give Micah another shot? Up until the start of last season he was the best English right back around and despite his injuries, he hasn't suddenly regressed into a heap of *****. He's still a very good defender. Hopefully he gets fit and stays fit with Fiorentina. Although I'm not sure how much (if any) notice he will get from Hodgson being in Florence...

Maybe because Micah rejected to be a backup player for Euro2012 that lead to Martin Kelly getting into the squad that Hodgson wont want to call him again. But if Wio got another chance then why not Micah I guess.

Micah's never had a fair chance in the England squad. For years he was the best RB you guys had and Capello just ignored him.

Capello didn't get on with him, said he couldn't follow instructions. Prior to Capello coming in he was doing fine though. Not sure what the truth is or how frustrated Capello was and how fair that was or how hardline he was but Richards never got a look in since then

I think we missed something with him

He was a centre back really though, I think but never got to play there

It won't help that he had a little pop at Hodgson in a interview last week:

Richards has 13 England caps but he does not envisage any way back into Roy Hodgson’s thinking. That boat sailed when Hodgson overlooked him for Euro 2012 and Richards was so upset he did not want to go on the standby list. Hodgson has never considered him since and Richards is convinced that “until he’s gone I don’t see myself getting in.”

But what if Gazzetta dello Sport is giving him nine out of 10 every week and Fiorentina are having another strong season, would he expect Hodgson to come over to watch him? “No chance,” he says. “Has he even been to Swansea? The England manager should be going around every ground but I read he hadn’t even been to Swansea.”

He is talking about Nathan Dyer. “I’ve played with him at under-19s, I know him really well and I’ve talked to him. He’s gutted. It’s a pleasure to play for your country, an honour, but then you see players who are not performing well and not getting picked on merit but because they are his players.”

Richards also wonders if Hodgson is guilty of double standards when Ben Foster “can retire for a year then ‘if you want to come back in, here you go, feel free, even though there are other keepers.’”

To clarify, he is laughing as he says that, and it is without malice. But he does have a serious point. “He [Foster] is one of Hodgson’s players, isn’t he? He had him at West Brom and every manager has his favourites, so there is no point moaning or being upset about it. The only thing that hurt me was 2011-12 was my best season. Kyle Walker had broken his toe and I thought – and the majority of people thought – I would be the right choice if I could win the league and potentially win player of the year at City, maybe the hardest squad in the league to do that. I’ve dealt with it now but at the time it was tough.” Tuscany, they say, is the birthplace of the Renaissance. Richards is hoping for one of his own

Good news, Sturridge could be back fit by the weekend. Bad news, he won't be fit in a week's time.

Sturridge has missed five matches with the problem but may be involved in Saturday's home Premier League match with West Bromwich Albion.

Rodgers insisted that did not mean Sturridge would be able to play a part in England's qualifiers with San Marino on 9 October and three days later against Estonia.

"He won't be fit to play for England whether he's available for the weekend or not," he said.

"I don't think he's fit to play for England. We're hoping he can develop over the next 48 hours to be in a position to train with the team on Thursday and maybe be available for the squad on Saturday."

OH37vEX.png

They were so nice to him after all

I think these kind of games against the likes of San Marino are the perfect opportunity to rest completely a couple of first team players so Sturridge sitting out wouldn't be a bad idea but it's up to Hodgson. Welbeck could start and Rooney even seeing as he's suspended for United so Sturridge can really have that time off

Still boils my **** that representing your country is more of a distraction than an honour. Clubs need another slapping down when it comes to their power over selection of players.

For me it would be simple here, play Welbeck and Rooney (or x player if we change formation). If they do well then when Sturridge returns he will be on the bench, and will have to earn his way back in. We have a squad for a reason, its time England actually put that to use.

Yes but in reality there has to be relationship building between club and country and an element of trust sometimes on things like 'Sturridge isn't ready' rather than 'well, let's examine him ourselves shall we and see for sure'

Still boils my **** that representing your country is more of a distraction than an honour. Clubs need another slapping down when it comes to their power over selection of players.

I think this is definitely more from clubs and fans, in particular. Not sure it transfers to players as much as some fans may believe

There are, of course, strategic pulls out, I am sure. Some players turn up and play, no fuss. Ashley Cole, for instance, always turned up and played. Rarely had 'doubts' he'd make a squad despite playing week in, week out for Chelsea. Beckham too, of course. I have to say generally Rooney doesn't pull out either (tee hee, that's what she said)

Eh? Clubs have absolutely no power. If a country wants to call up a player they can, no matter what the club thinks of their fitness.

I think you are a tad naive if you think it is that clear cut.

Of course the clubs have influence, especially over the player themselves. Other countries will have players playing through bigger pain barriers and with no thought of consequences to represent their country. We have a culture that encourages players to have one eye on the next league fixture after an international. And that is largely influenced by the clubs themselves.

I think you are a tad naive if you think it is that clear cut.

Of course the clubs have influence, especially over the player themselves. Other countries will have players playing through bigger pain barriers and with no thought of consequences to represent their country. We have a culture that encourages players to have one eye on the next league fixture after an international. And that is largely influenced by the clubs themselves.

That's nonsense though. You're talking about a country that ignores training instructions from clubs, when they're best placed to know how to manage their own players.

You're also talking about a country that's made players who are clearly injured join up with the national squad to be assessed by the country's own physios. Which they're entitled to do, but is hardly the action of a country who cares about what individual clubs think.

My own point of view is that I think that countries have far, far too much power when it comes to selection. It's a bit backwards in the current era that a club has absolutely no say in how they're own players are used.

It's a bit backwards in the current era that a club has absolutely no say in how they're own players are used.

Clubs more often then not (mainly the big clubs) in friendlies tell the national team for so and so only to play x amount of minutes.

In my view no club should be allowed to do that yet it still happens.

Clubs more often then not (mainly the big clubs) in friendlies tell the national team for so and so only to play x amount of minutes.

In my view no club should be allowed to do that yet it still happens.

I don't really agree with that either to be honest. That's not what I'm against, it's things like dinosaur international managers playing injured players to "test their resolve" or not following training instructions for individual players.

Dont need Danny Sturridge for these two games.

Play the second XI against San Marino, no point in putting out the strongest squad in that game then put the team that played Switzerland out against Estonia.

Might aswell use Tyler Blackett, Eric Dier, Saido Berahino, whoever else is impressing in the Premier League for the San Marino game. Or in Blackett's case, whoever Hodgson fancies calling up.

Archived