England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems to be marmite with our fans. The thing is, if he plays well and performs for England then Woy should keep picking him regardless of his Spurs form.

Like Welbeck when he was at United.

It does seem that against sides such as San Marino you do need a player like Townsend who will run at players and shoot as soon as he sees an opening instead if trying to pass through 10 players.

The problem with the likes of San Marino is they're so defensive they make Chelsea at the Emirates last year look gung-ho. Really difficult to play well against a team with 10 men permanently in and around the penalty box.

Didnt watch the match, but if your team wins 5-0 and your MoM is the keeper, its either two things.

1. It couldve been 5-5 but he made stunning saves, or 2. The outfielders were so **** its amazing they won 5-0 anyway.

Either way, Hart winning it is bollocks.

Haha, worst 5-0, good call :D

It was exactly as I feared, sort of play in 1st gear, laze your way through the game. No direct play or shooting and even then some of the short passing was awful in the first half. We just don't approach these games with the mindset of 'let's smash this lot'

5-0 is absolute minimum. Yes, putting 10 men behind the ball is difficult but we never once tried to beat a man, thought we were gonna pass through this mega-congested central area. Full backs never over lapped the wingers, everyone tucked inside, hardly any crosses or shots from distance. They couldn't deal with either but yet we kept threading that ball into an 8 person wall on the edge of the box

Townsend has 0 fear when attacking, refreshing

sometimes you just need that. he is different to our other players and in a 23 man squad having different options is always a plus.

that said if he continues to not play or play poorly for spurs then his place should be under threat

when's Walcott back? has everyone forgotten how awful he is for England?

sometimes you just need that. he is different to our other players and in a 23 man squad having different options is always a plus.

that said if he continues to not play or play poorly for spurs then his place should be under threat

when's Walcott back? has everyone forgotten how awful he is for England?

Yeah agreed. The thing about Townsend is that he's fearless and direct, but unlike Walcott he has a bit of skill and the ability to beat a man in a tight area as well. Sterling has been growing on me with his general ability, but even his game seems to lack a cutting edge and his finishing at times is shocking. Just love Townsend's attitude when he's got the ball. Might not be ideal in every game but he'd be in my squad every time.

Just took a look to see when we play our two Euro Qualifiers during the PL break, only to find we played the first on Thursday and won 5-0 vs San Marino :D

Didn't even forget it was on Thursday, I just never knew. Shows how little I paid attention or maybe how little was made of it?

Intend on watching the gane tomorrow, now I know we're playing.

I think it's playing on these 'non-traditional' international football days as well

I think if you didn't know the game was on there wasn't much telling you. Was on ITV back home though, I think

What was disappointing is the likes of Sterling who hasn't scored for England should be thinking 'I'm definitely gonna score tonight' but ... didn't. Wilshere too. We played knowing we'd win whereas at least Townsend was run, run, shoot ... goal like he actually wanted to score

Estonia have improved a lot in recent years so if we come in with that kind of mindset again we can expect to be frustrated

Yeah agreed. The thing about Townsend is that he's fearless and direct, but unlike Walcott he has a bit of skill and the ability to beat a man in a tight area as well. Sterling has been growing on me with his general ability, but even his game seems to lack a cutting edge and his finishing at times is shocking. Just love Townsend's attitude when he's got the ball. Might not be ideal in every game but he'd be in my squad every time.

Walcott is quite a different type of wide player. He is much more like a striker when wide bit like a Pedro or Muller really in that sense all about end product but can do not a lot in between. If England stick to the diamond he would be a striker

As I said the other night I really don't think there is much difference between Chambers and Clyne (though I'd have started Clyne on Friday if it was up to me) so it's not really a massive issue but don't think Chambers played that well against San Marino and should maybe have dropped out today for Clyne. However from the managements POV I can see why they maybe didn't want to drop a young player after 1 poor performance, doesn't really send out the right message.

Archived