England - Euro 2016 Thread

Djstu23

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Has anyone else actually turned up though?

He's not had a great game (has anyone?). But he's pitched up and given us 3 points as it stands, which is kind of his job...

The problem is that he's "undroppable" - so noone else does get a chance in his role.

Rooney has been gifted chance after chance to be fair to others, yet he is the one that messed them all up, he's by far the worst today against 10 man Estonia.

Actually Chambers has been the worst (though not really here or there), but as it stands Rooney is the one who has given us three points. It's not like everyone has been playing well bar him.

Like who exactly? Sturridge (injured) or Lambert (in even worse form)?

Yes - someone like Lambert should be given a proper go. Or Welbeck centrally. Or any number of other options showing a tiny bit of original thought or imagination, rather than trying the same thing every single time with Rooney.

Yes - someone like Lambert should be given a proper go. Or Welbeck centrally. Or any number of other options showing a tiny bit of original thought or imagination, rather than trying the same thing every single time with Rooney.

So you want to drop a poor Rooney for an even poorer form Lambert.... how does that make sense? And Welbeck is already an England regular who has been getting a more time through the middle recently?

What's Welbeck done to deserve to stay on ahead of Rooney? Rooney's been ***** yeah, but he's grabbed a goal.

I thought Roy would have more thought behind his decisions so that someone scoring a FK (luckily) doesn't make him change his mind

So you want to drop a poor Rooney for an even poorer form Lambert.... how does that make sense? And Welbeck is already an England regular who has been getting a more time through the middle recently?

Rooney has been consistently poor for England - Lambert has been given nowhere near the same opportunity to prove himself. Club and country form rarely follow one another, so I wouldn't write off Lambert for that. If club form should be the deciding factor, why not Berahino? Welbeck is of course a regular, but I'd like to see him in a system that doesn't seem to revolve around a poor Rooney.

That scoring from a set piece makes up and omits him from criticism for missing a few good chances, the ball always bouncing off him and him loosing the ball constantly. I think.

So like i said ........Rooney and everyone else has been poor.

Rooney has been consistently poor for England - Lambert has been given nowhere near the same opportunity to prove himself. Club and country form rarely follow one another, so I wouldn't write off Lambert for that. If club form should be the deciding factor, why not Berahino? Welbeck is of course a regular, but I'd like to see him in a system that doesn't seem to revolve around a poor Rooney.

Berahino was needed for the big U21 qualifiers, he's already been tipped for the senior side though. Rooney hasnt been great at all, still scoring. Lambert hasnt been great and isnt scoring.

The system revolves around have 2 strikers and getting Sterling to play as the same time, hence a diamond.

So we should be comfortable playing against the likes of San Marino and Estonia

I know they have improved a lot, had some half-decent results against good teams but they weren't very good at all. We were as comfortable as expected but our approach play lacks any creative spark and we have all this pace but you'd not know it. How about someone going past a man as well, remember when players did that?

We'll take the maximum 9 from 9 points but we need to buck up our ideas ahead of Slovenia away, I hope it's one of those deals where we play according to the quality of our opposition

1-0, ffs, 10 men from 50 mins. It's not great

So we should be comfortable playing against the likes of San Marino and Estonia

I know they have improved a lot, had some half-decent results against good teams but they weren't very good at all. We were as comfortable as expected but our approach play lacks any creative spark and we have all this pace but you'd not know it. How about someone going past a man as well, remember when players did that?

We'll take the maximum 9 from 9 points but we need to buck up our ideas ahead of Slovenia away, I hope it's one of those deals where we play according to the quality of our opposition

1-0, ffs, 10 men from 50 mins. It's not great

We struggled to beat a man, either with a pass, or a dribble. Very pedestrian

Performance was crap but we won and thats what counts. If you decide to watch Lithuania vs Slovenia tonight you'll realise we should also beat Slovenia comfortably, they're no better than Estonia.

Berahino was needed for the big U21 qualifiers, he's already been tipped for the senior side though. Rooney hasnt been great at all, still scoring. Lambert hasnt been great and isnt scoring.

The system revolves around have 2 strikers and getting Sterling to play as the same time, hence a diamond.

The 1st team has to trump the U21s I think. We have plenty of players who can take free kicks, which was Rooney's only contribution tonight (from several attempts), it would be madness to accept all of the faults he's showing just because we've scraped a 1-0 against Estonia.

At the end of the day it's irrelevant for a couple of years, we're guaranteed qualification whoever we play. It's just a bit depressing to see us playing the same way over and over again (which has failed before) - which Rooney is a key part of.

The 1st team has to trump the U21s I think. We have plenty of players who can take free kicks, which was Rooney's only contribution tonight (from several attempts), it would be madness to accept all of the faults he's showing just because we've scraped a 1-0 against Estonia.

At the end of the day it's irrelevant for a couple of years, we're guaranteed qualification whoever we play. It's just a bit depressing to see us playing the same way over and over again (which has failed before) - which Rooney is a key part of.

A double headed qualifier shouldnt trump Estonia, especially when Berahino will play far more in the former than the latter. You know he would have played 15 minutes in total for the two games :thdn:

It's not about accepting all his faults though. Just pointing out that while awful, he is still scoring which is ultimately the point of him. I just think you need to make a change for the right reasons. I don't think we can look at Lambert and say "yeah he's gonna play better than Rooney and score" he looks nothing like that at the moment.

I also want to know why Clyne didnt start in a formation that requires very attacking full backs.

thank feck for that! beat the Swiss as well didn't they?

Ye, but the Swiss aren't on form at the moment. I expect Slovenia to lose tonight, they're much better at home than away. We could have a problem in the away game against them though.

A double headed qualifier shouldnt trump Estonia, especially when Berahino will play far more in the former than the latter. You know he would have played 15 minutes in total for the two games :thdn:

It's not about accepting all his faults though. Just pointing out that while awful, he is still scoring which is ultimately the point of him. I just think you need to make a change for the right reasons. I don't think we can look at Lambert and say "yeah he's gonna play better than Rooney and score" he looks nothing like that at the moment.

I also want to know why Clyne didnt start in a formation that requires very attacking full backs.

The bolded bit is exactly my point! When Rooney is guaranteed his spot no matter what, which appears to be the case now, the best a new prospect can expect is to play 15 minutes every now and again, then never start because he never scores... repeat... repeat...

Agreed about Clyne. Haven't seen Roy's comments yet, but hope he's fuming (doubt it).

Archived