Have you ever won the World Cup? if so, who with?

Good work, I never managed that, despite that fact that as a Scot I feel that FM 12 had far too many overpowered Scottish newgens, I often had players at the liked of Roma and Juventus for some reason. FM 13 seems to have absolutely fixed that, and made it more realistic :(

I'd say its still a bit unreal we have regens with technique greater than 10 :) I'm a Raith Rovers fan, we've never seen that level of ball control and touch in a homegrown lad....since Colin Cameron

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this thread doesnt prove this game is far far too easy.... just think how few managers out of tens of 1000's in real life ever win a world cup; it seems like every tom dick and jose who buys this game wins a world cup, often with a very unlikely team, not to mention the multiple champions leagues, championship domination etc.

where's the challenge? where's a fearsome A.I?

I won the 2018 World Cup in this years game with Chile. Diego Rubio was the top scorer and Alexis Sanchez was on fire in the knockout rounds after a poor group stage. This is the only time that I have won a World Cup. I played a counter-attacking 4-5-1 Bolton style with 2 wingers pushed up. It was incredible. :)

If this thread doesnt prove this game is far far too easy.... just think how few managers out of tens of 1000's in real life ever win a world cup; it seems like every tom dick and jose who buys this game wins a world cup, often with a very unlikely team, not to mention the multiple champions leagues, championship domination etc.

where's the challenge? where's a fearsome A.I?

Erm, well if, using your numbers, only 1 in 10,000 people who bought FM were capable of winning the World Cup, it wouldn't sell many copies would it?

Italy on fm 08

Spain and England on FM 10, also made it to the final of the 2034 South African world cup with South Africa, lost in the final...

This year I won it with England in 2018 (after Hodgson had won it in 2014) lost to Brazil in 2022, we had a great team, led by the fantastic Adam Campbell who got 73 goals in 97 caps. Despite rarely being called up once he hit 27 (Barca barely played him when I left so no one called him up when i left)

In Football Manager 2011 I won the 2018 World Cup with Brazil, 2022 with England and 2026 with Portugal! Unfortunately there is no continuing that save. The power tripped while saving. I have a backup from 3 years prior. :( Game time that is.

Why each World Cup after I won it? While the Brazil team was waning and England the same. Portugal I would have stuck with but as I said power failure ruined the save. I lost motivation to try again. Now with brand new save. I will see if I could repeat the feat.

Furthest I ever got was the QF on FM2011 with England, Wc2014. Beat Brazil in the first knockout round then got destroyed by Messi in the Quaters, they then somehow got kncoked out by Serbia in the semis.

ooh, even found a screenshot...

EnglandvsArgentina.png

Dont know how I was 2-0 up in this or how the stats suggest a close game when Argentina pulled our pants down the entire 90 minutes. Although I think at 5-2 they did actually start slowing down.

I've won it a couple of times, mainly on FM11 where I won it with the Netherlands Antilles 3 times playing horrible defensive football. I also won it twice on FM10 with England and Belgium, and have won it on FM13 although that was a bit of a cheat because I got the Brazil job after the group stages when they sacked their manager.

• 2 months later...

Won the WC 2010 playing Italy on FM07. When I moved on FM09, won again with Italy the WC 2046 (!!!). Fantastic team. FM12 was so easy that I was able to win the WC twice in a row, with Italy as always: 2022 and 2026.

And finally, I just lost the final vs Germany for the WC 2014... too bad :(

For those who claim to have won the WC with crappy teams like San Marino and similar rubbish.. you clearly cheater eh ;)

Won the WC 2010 playing Italy on FM07. When I moved on FM09, won again with Italy the WC 2046 (!!!). Fantastic team. FM12 was so easy that I was able to win the WC twice in a row, with Italy as always: 2022 and 2026.

For those who claim to have won the WC with crappy teams like San Marino and similar rubbish.. you clearly cheater eh ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5DaFAqYzE6UUrfLa_IAWi-iIhv1dy6Obt08f7Pnc1NIYhdWQnIQ

Won it twice: with Croatia in FM05 or 06, when there was a bug where almost all centre-back regens lacked jumping. I had a very tall striker who scored goals for fun, was still probably my best FM achievement ever.

The second time it was with my own country Portugal in FM11 and here is the final gone through in fine detail.

Ever heard of San Marino Challenge or Big Club Small Country Challenge

You can win it with San Marino it just takes a lot of in year games. People have done it by managing the San Marino club team and making them a force which brings them better San Marino regens. I think its something like that anyway.

Not on my current save sadly. I had a USA team which actually had a very strong first team, but the depth was lacking, though there were promising youth players coming through. First time round I got to the Quarters in 2022, before losing to Argentina in extra time. Reached the final of the confederations cup and lost to Spain when it came round, then in the 2026 world cup I had a strong showing in the group, beating Belgium and Brazil, and drawing with Spain. Got beaten 5-1 out of the blue by Portugal, 2 own goals, lost my best attacker to injury, and had the star striker of my club rivals score twice. Plus a player I'd considered buying. If I couldn't win with that USA team I didn't want to wait another 4 years to try again, or 8 years when realistically the younger generation would be ready.

I resigned and I'm England boss now. Mainly on the strength of my club capabilities where I've been dominant.

Won it in FM 2005 when the penalty shoot out bug was in hardcore effect! Won one and drew two group games, won the round of 16 and then the fairy tail achievement the quarters, semis and final were all lost on penalties but due to the glitch were considered wins...suffice to say that the citizens of Australia were considerably pleased and I was made head warlock for my magical contributions to sport with a-grade wizardry!!

I won the World Cup with the Czech Rep on FM11, Jack Butland was my star player I signed him for Sparta Prague and he took up the nationality

Jack Butland will be the future England's No 1 :thup: best thing since David Seaman

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5DaFAqYzE6UUrfLa_IAWi-iIhv1dy6Obt08f7Pnc1NIYhdWQnIQ

Yeah actually I was the best re-loader in the world until FM07. And believe me I haven't mentioned all the finals I lost. Many.

Playing the game as it goes gives a lot of frustration, but loads of satisfactions as well.

So what's the point now? :)

Won the 2014 World Cup with England on FM12, was 2-0 down to Brazil in the final before Danny Welbeck came on to score a hat-trick and win the game for me :p.

I took a 2 year sabbatical from international management after that before returning to manage Brazil to glory in World Cup 2018 :D.

Yeah actually I was the best re-loader in the world until FM07. And believe me I haven't mentioned all the finals I lost. Many.

Playing the game as it goes gives a lot of frustration, but loads of satisfactions as well.

So what's the point now? :)

I was referring to the line "For those who claim to have won the WC with crappy teams like San Marino and similar rubbish.. you clearly cheater eh ;)". Think it's pretty obvious why really.

• 1 month later...

I was so close just then. With Brazil in 2014 won every game leading up to the final scoring 18 goals. In the final I led 2-0 against Spain. Then my keeper was out of position and they scored 2 goals of corners. When I went to lead Silva scored. I came so close to World Cup glory but missed out :(

Won it with England in FM08 at the end of quite a long save. Had a fairly ordinary talent pool at that point. In fact my best two players were Brazilians I's brought through the academy at Crewe who'd taken dual nationality. Generally parked the bus and nipped the odd goal in the knockout rounds. Seem to think I beat France 2-0 AET in the final. I very rarely delve into Int'l management though for reasons stated by others above.

I'm pretty sure I won it with Holland in CM97/98, when the entire dutch side were basically my club team Zwolle. I've probably won it a few other times in earlier incarnations of FM.

Most recently in FM12 I took a very poor England to the final in 2018 where we got spanked 1-4 by Argentina. But then I have just won with France in 2030, having had a very easy run of fixtures culminating in beating a mediocre Mexico side shorn of their best player 3-0 in the final.

edited to add: Brazil didn't even qualify for the 2030 tournament and are down to about number 20 in the FIFA rankings, despite still producing loads of quality newgens. I'm sticking with France to see if I can win the Euros too, but maybe my next international challenge should be to try and rejuvenate Brazil.

• 1 month later...

I managed Greece to the semi finals of the world cup lost 4 - 1 to brazil and the European Championship .. so close as well to reaching the final if it wasn't for wilshere scoring the winner in the 119th minute!!!! I was confident I would win on penalties

• 9 months later...

I won With England group had Holland,Nigeria and Iran Beat Ghana 2-1 aet then beat Italy 6-2(somehow).In the semi we beat germany 4-1:applause: and Joe Hart got injured so i had to play Fraser Forster and Beat Argentina 1-0 in the final.

I've only won it once. Won the 2022 World Cup on FM07 with the United States. I beat France in the final 5-4 on penalties. Extra time ended 1-1. That save was years ago, the fact that I remember it so well kinda scares me.

Won it with England on CM 01/02 beating Egypt in the final (wtf?)

Also on FM 07 won it back to back with England beating Brazil both times.

Biggest achievement though is the 1/4 finals of 2018 with Northern Ireland on FM 13.

Archived